The General Videogame Thread

+
I've been in a Total War frenzy the last couple of months. Played Medieval 2, which was great (though vastly overrated by nostalgic fans), as Venice and then as the Moors (stopped after getting tired of luring Timurid panzer divisions to siege the same castle over and over again).

Then played Napoleon total war. It was fun, but I'm not a huge fan of the era and as far as I am concerned, it gets repetitive quickly.

I played Rome 2 total war when it was for free. It seems to have vastly improved, which is good. so I am waiting for the next sale, after finishing my thesis.

It is unclear whether I will get Attila at some point. I don't really care about the era or about Attila. But it would be intriguing to play the Western and Eastern Roman Empires.

So after playing a load of games and rapidly getting sick of them, I'm re-installing Wolfenstein: The New Order. I seem to have been spoiled by it as all other shooters just don't catch my attention.

---------- Updated at 10:22 PM ----------

So after starting a new game of Wolfenstein, I don't know why I uninstalled it in the first place! One of the best shooters ever made in my opinion. It also looks outstanding:

Attachments

• 2015-03-07_00016.jpg
    2015-03-07_00016.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-03-07_00012.jpg
    2015-03-07_00012.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 2015-03-07_00004.jpg
    2015-03-07_00004.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 2015-03-07_00018.jpg
    2015-03-07_00018.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2015-03-07_00007.jpg
    2015-03-07_00007.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 38
Had the chance to play the newish Tomb Raider and I'd like to say a couple of things. First, the graphics were pretty impressive (PC version, ultra or whatever). Second, the tomb raiding is fun sometimes, but the shooting just OK. The cover mechanics felt clunky. Now what somewhat bothered me was the unconvincing voice acting, and what really annoyed me was the huge amount of QTE's. I get it, the game tries to be an action movie, but this is just too much. The story is serviceable and interesting enough, but makes you wonder how a young woman who was afraid to kill in self defense takes down wave after wave of heavily armed, trained soldiers.

Kind of a short game too. 13 hours with 76% completion, felt easy and straightforward. Whatever, I was curious and now I'm not. It was fun, but I wonder if most recent AAA games also lack this much substance in general.

Had the chance to play the newish Tomb Raider and I'd like to say a couple of things. First, the graphics were pretty impressive (PC version, ultra or whatever). Second, the tomb raiding is fun sometimes, but the shooting just OK. The cover mechanics felt clunky. Now what somewhat bothered me was the unconvincing voice acting, and what really annoyed me was the huge amount of QTE's. I get it, the game tries to be an action movie, but this is just too much. The story is serviceable and interesting enough, but makes you wonder how a young woman who was afraid to kill in self defense takes down wave after wave of heavily armed, trained soldiers.

Kind of a short game too. 13 hours with 76% completion, felt easy and straightforward. Whatever, I was curious and now I'm not. It was fun, but I wonder if most recent AAA games also lack this much substance in general.

Interesting coincidence...
I fired up Tomb Raider about a week ago. I really, really had to force myself, and those QTEs were the last straw. It feels far too much as though your role in the game is just to hit buttons in the sequence determined by the developer - I'm OK usually with linear RPGs, but, as you say, it was just too much. I stopped about five hours in.

Anyway, I picked up Velvet Assassin a few months ago in a sale. I've read a lot of reviews that say it's really, really bad. Does anyone have anything good to say about it that may convince me to try it?

Last edited:

Sounds like the ideal AAA game based upon current trends... $20 million spent on eye candy while $20 is spent on the rest of the game (the substance).

Played Medieval 2, which was great (though vastly overrated by nostalgic fans)

On the contrary, it had the best variety, best music, good setting, and really really good mods, though the battles could drag on for a bit, second is Rome Total War :p

How the hell I managed to hold back the Mongols as the Egyptians was a miracle :p

I heard good things about Attila, but after getting burnt with Rome 2, I lost my desire to play new TW games.

Last edited:
How's Rome 2 now, after it's been patched so much?

Some say it got better, from what I have seen it did get quite better, but in its core the game suffers from a game engine that was primarily built for ranged combat (for Empire and Napoleon), I have no idea how this engine managed to work in Shogun 2, but when the time era is focused more on unit battles and not individual duels which the game engine does not support effectively, it becomes troublesome.

Compare the melee fighting in Rome 2 for example with the Original Rome, in the Original Rome a soldier can change the tide of battle, in Rome 2 the stats only decide how an animation would play out, if that makes any sense.

But it got better, as far as I know, but by how much? Not much I would personally say.

On the contrary, it had the best variety, best music, good setting, and really really good mods, though the battles could drag on for a bit, second is Rome Total War :p

How the hell I managed to hold back the Mongols as the Egyptians was a miracle :p

I heard good things about Attila, but after getting burnt with Rome 2, I lost my desire to play new TW games.

The AI in battles was ridiculously dumb (esp in sieges), diplomacy was a hassle and never worked on the highest difficulty. It had a lot of good things, but in a lot of things it was meh. I prefer Shogun 2, despite its lack of variety.

I managed to destroy 4 Timurid stacks as Moors, but then it got really boring to fight against their silly panzer elephants.

I am inclined to believe Rome 2 will be my favorite.

For the love of all that is holy and sacred, do not have that goddamn expectation.

I already played it for 3 days when it was for free.

I know it has a lot of problems like a weird politics system that is meh, but there are a lot of things about it I appreciate, like limited armies. No longer do we have max stacks led by anonymous captains. Or limited agents depending on imperium, so we no longer have the horde of imams and assassins I had in Medieval. Army traditions. Specializing provinces with limited building slots (as opposed to being able to build everything everywhere), pop growth, food, amphibious assaults (only in sieges).,,,etc. I also found the AI to be more responsive in battles, and actually comprehends the concept of flanking.

That and out of all historical settings, antiquity is my favorite with some of my favorite polities (Rome, Carthage, Parthia).

So despite its problems, I do think it's likely that it will end up being my favorite.

Every TW game to date has that problem, sadly.

Rome 2 doesn't. It did but they worked to fix it. The only thing I feel Medieval 2 and Rome 1 are better at is having collision detection.

Honestly I'd recommend Attila, it does things better then Rome 2 overall, not by a huge amount though.

Played a bit of Mafia II today:

It's still quite perdy. And now I'm just hoping that Mafia 3 is in development. There definitely isn't an overabundance of quality gangster games on the market right now..

One of the main guys behind Mafia, Daniel Vavra, left to start work on Kingdom Come. So I'd be hesitant about Mafia 3.

Last edited:
It's up to 2K to continue with Mafia, but Vavra is long gone and he was the lead designer. Pretty interesting video with Gabe.

[video=youtube;l-ayB6U3l2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ayB6U3l2g[/video]

Top Bottom