Pillars of Eternity

+
@Monstarcookie there are quite good youtube tutorials if you are new to this sub genre. If you are going to purchase PoE, I would advice to first go melee for your PC, because this builds are quite self-explanatory and have good survivability.

My first experience with the Goldpact Knights paladins made me realize how much better handled this class than D&D considering diversity. There are basically mercenary paladins, black guard paladins and your normal goodie two shoes paladins. I think I will roll one of the first kind for my next playthrough.

Normally paladins are really boring but here some of the description

Bleak Walkers is a paladin order of Soldiers dedicated to conducting warfare mercilessly and with extreme brutality in order to bring a swift end to conflicts. Known for their unyielding, terrible nature, most nobles will only call on them as a last resort. The Bleak Walkers' behavior generally reinforces cruelty and brutality because the quickest resolution is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people believe that no mercy will ever be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful given the right circumstances. For the Bleak Walkers, there are no right circumstances. Bleak Walkers won't call off an attack even if their "employer" asks them to or turns forces on them

@Quorealist About the Bleak Walkers, I was particularly amused by the quote (apparently by Sawyer) I found in the Gamepedia description:

Much like guns, Bleak Walkers should only be pointed at things you don't mind being completely destroyed.

Yeah the Bleak Walkers really embrace their inner Black Guard. But right now I'm leaning more to the Goldpact Knights. My enemies could deal with chaotic evil but with lawful neutral you never know where you stand.

How about using spoiler tags when you talk about ingame content, guys? :rtfm:

On topic: this game is so amazing. It's really like one of these epic CRPGs of the later 90s and early 2000s, before the whole RPG genre was captured and butchered by consoles. So glad kickstarter gave devs the possibility to make such games again... :p

I now fulfill the requirements to enchant my weapons with slaying abilities... probably kith-slaying would be the most useful in boss fights, since I expect mostly humanoid bosses. It's also the most expensive slaying enchantment, so the devs obviously see it as the most powerful enchantment, too.
Only I hesitate to enchant my current weapons, because I expect to find 'exceptional' tiered weapons soon.

I now fulfill the requirements to enchant my weapons with slaying abilities... probably kith-slaying would be the most useful in boss fights, since I expect mostly humanoid bosses. It's also the most expensive slaying enchantment, so the devs obviously see it as the most powerful enchantment, too.
Only I hesitate to enchant my current weapons, because I expect to find 'exceptional' tiered weapons soon.

If you're interested where you're able to buy exceptional weapons during act 2:
either at the dozens or at the knights (both in defiance bay) once you've gained enough reputation for either of them

Hey now that's not fair I love some of the RPGs that the consoles offer (Xenoblade Chronicles) :p
We all have our weaknesses. I'll forgive you. :harhar:

Damn this game looks complicated. I haven't seen so many stats before! I take it that the combat is turn-based?
I don't think it's that complicated. They explain the stats pretty well on the character creation screen. And your character uses activated abilities in combat, so it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

Sorry I wasn't aware that gameplay info about the classes also falls into spoiler territory. You get that info about paladins somewhere in character creation as tool tip.

I've just encountered the double click bug

Seems that I equipped one of the grimoires that way on Aloth, now his wood elf racial is gone. I hope the fix for this will be retro active, because I have no idea when it happened.

I found a workaround for this bug. When a follower looses his traits, dismiss him than hire him again

Last edited:
I won a Steam key thanks to a giveaway by Kinguin, can't really believe it. I was fascinated by this game recently.
So well, I started the game and I created a mage character... so weak, I actually rely more on my companions sometimes. I like the "storybook" cutscenes, while you can actually choose what to do, really good, it provides a nice vibe. Well then, still at the beginning, so I have to manage controls and mechanics better...

View attachment 11914

Attachments

• 2015-03-30_00001.jpg
    2015-03-30_00001.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 118
Is the Italian localization actually usable?
My SO tried to play in German and not only was the localization careless - often too literal, without any feeling for the language or context, or simply wrong - but also messed up in some places. E.g. the Hunting Bow doesn't show the proper translation, but something like Reflexes +2, a completely misplaced string. Needless to say, she switched back to English rather quickly.

Is the Italian localization actually usable?
My SO tried to play in German and not only was the localization careless - often too literal, without any feeling for the language or context, or simply wrong - but also messed up in some places. E.g. the Hunting Bow doesn't show the proper translation, but something like Reflexes +2, a completely misplaced string. Needless to say, she switched back to English rather quickly.
I really disagree. I think the biggest part of the German translation is rather well done. There are some issues with it though, the biggest of them already fixed by the community (like the completely wrong weapon descriptions you've mentioned). Since I've contributed to the German translation mod myself, I've gone through a lot of the language files and imho most of the translation is done well, with a good feeling for language and context. Of course there are some more literal translations here and there and also some mistakes but I've seen a LOT worse, especially in video games...

By the way, you can find the mod here: http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/6/?

Bear in mind though that it's work in progress. Most of the translation issues later in the game are probably not fixed yet since people don't want to spoil everything for themselves before completing the game. And of course the game isn't out for that long yet and people spend their free time on that instead of playing the game... ;)

Did they mention any plans on fixing that double click equipping bug?

Yes: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72...ty-members-only-currently/page-3#entry1607951

And:
We're currently working on patch 1.03, which we hope to release during the week of March 30. We are actively monitoring the Technical Support forum and pulling issues out into our internal bug database.

Last edited:
If you're interested where you're able to buy exceptional weapons during act 2:
either at the dozens or at the knights (both in defiance bay) once you've gained enough reputation for either of them

I thought so, but I'd rather find than buy them ;D
I need all my money for enchantment and the fortress ^^

Did they mention any plans on fixing that double click equipping bug?

There is a workaround for this bug. When it happens only to a follower go the the tavern in guilded vale or your stronghold. Dismiss him and hire him right after. He should have his original stats back.

I've encountered a far more severe if not game breaking bug yesterday:

In Raedric's Hold it can happen that all exits will crash the game when you use it. Therefore you either cannot leave the place or in my case finish the quest. Gladly I was able to find an exit but Raedric still waits for his punishment. But as it seems this bug will also be addressed in the upcoming patch.

Hey guys,

Quick update to this thread, I just ran through 10+ of the save files posted here and this issue no longer occurs. This will be fixed when we release the first post launch patch. Thanks for your understanding so far!

Now I just finish quests in the mainhub and wait for the fix this week

I understand godlike can't wear helmets. Is there anything that compensates for that? Cuz I'm not seeing any sort of bonuses or extra features or whatnot that does so.

I have to say that I am positively surprised by this game. At first it looked like BG clone, but story and choices are much more interesting (it's not usual high fantasy).
After ranger companion bug I have restarted it on hard, and comparing to "normal", fights became more interesting too, every encounter can be dangerous and require thinking (now I have to work on pulling less enemies and running away with at least one character, because too often fights ends with death of the party and loading save :/ ).
I would still prefer 3d map though, it's kinda annoying when fight is taking place behind tree or stone, or you want to see fight from other angle, but you can't have everything :)

Last edited:
I understand godlike can't wear helmets. Is there anything that compensates for that? Cuz I'm not seeing any sort of bonuses or extra features or whatnot that does so.

Their racial abilities are somewhat more powerful. Like silver tide for the moon godlike, which is quite neat.
Plus, there aren't that many helmets which give you bonuses anyways.

Hi there. Quick question please. Is it possible to create his own party and still have side quest attached to them? like the original party members.

Last edited:
You can hire adventurers in taverns or keep (you create them exactly like your character) and yes, you can have more than 5 companions, inactive just stay in taverns or keep and you can use them for keep missions. Ofcourse you can change members your active party too (f.e. when you want to do companion quest)

Top Bottom