The Witcher 2: All Major Choices - A Definitive Guide (+ the "Best" Ending & Geralt Archetypes)

+
I have been thinking about the best neutral path for Geralt and I think I am going to do this;
Spare Aryan, Side with Iorveth during clearing(Simply because I dont want to piss him off, best neutral would be to side with Roche.) Go with Roche, spare Henselt, Go Triss path and later spare Saskia.

I do like the Iorveth path and its quests more, but Roches path seem more "canon" to me simply because Geralt doesnt really side with the Scoia in the books.

All choices are easily made except for one: kill leth or not. He was a serious pain in the ass by killing foltest and making Geralt the only suspect and then after he kidnapped triss I hated his guts. But in the end he had reasons for everything he did and I can't really see through his personality. Also I think he could be a great asset in W3 if he is on my side but im not sure, he might help nilfgaard again...

I thought I would add my two cents on some of these topics. In regard to if Stennis is guilty or not I present the following facts. First off we know that Olcan was involved in the plot. That is undisputed. We also know that Stennis ans Olcan were talking together and the conversation was circumstantial evidence about setting up the deed to poison Saskia. So what is pretty clear is that Stennis knew Olcan was going to kill Saskia. There is no direct evidence that says Olcan told Stennis about the plot but Stennis sure didn't ask questions of why Olcan wanted everyone removed to give access. Now here are a couple of points that people miss.

First off Olcan was dead so someone else had to actually poison the cup or at least place it for Saskia. They had to make sure no one washed it if it was poisoned before they went to see Henselt. It makes zero sense that the cup was placed at this table before they left to meet Henselt. So the deed was done by someone other than Olcan. Now defenders say that Stennis said nice things about Saskia. But in the US a persons last actions or words are more important. So him refusing to save Saskia is very damming. At this point he felt he no longer needed Saskia to defeat Henselt. If he did need her he would have saved her for this reason alone.

The game also gives us direct evidence of a motive. The journal says:
"After Demavend's demise, pretenders to the crown sprang up like mushrooms. Apart from the one powerful noble family, first fiddle in this volatile orchestra belonged jointly to Stennis, Demavend's son, and Saskia, a rebel leading a peasant insurrection."

So Saskia was direct competition for the crown against Stennis. That is powerful motive to have her killed. So to sum up Stennis had motive, disposition, frame of mind, and there was strong circumstantial evidence he knew of the plot. So even if he didn't place the poison or the cup he is at least guilt of conspiracy to commit murder.

Now another other major issue I have is people saying Geralt would not get involved with politics or want to help Iorvath. Geralt clearly showed he would side with non-humans. He fought with dwarves at Brenna. Got killed at Vizima defending non-humans and killing humans in the process. He has two close friends in Zoltan and Dandelion that were helping the non-humans. Then when you first meet Iorvath he receives some background and explanations on his motive. Iorvath wants a free land. He isn't a bigot but instead more of a freedom fighter. Yes he gets caught up fighting the special forces but for the most part his goal of a land for elves is the driving force behind his actions.

Would Geralt give him the sword? That can go either way. But Iorvath was under the protection of Geralt so it makes sense. I can't recall if Geralt see's Roache before this decision. If he doesn't that fully supports giving the sword. As for which side to then pick there are arguments for both sides. But Zoltan and Dandelion are going to Vergen so I think that along with Iorvath agreeing to help get Letho means Geralt goes this route. As for saving the women or killing Laredo that is an easy call. He saves the women. He can kill Laredo anytime. The more pressing problem is dealt with first. And just like at Vizima he will get involved to save innocnets.

Now the final point of contention is if Geralt kills Letho or not. One thing is clear. Geralt hates Nilfgaard. Letho was a pawn for them. Geralt also gave his word which if you recall was the reason he was fighting for Folstest at the start. And Letho got the better of Geralt twice before. That is plenty of motive and reason to kill him. If he doesn't kill Letho he can't clear his name. At best he will be viewed as in league with other witchers that kill kings. He has no choice but to keep his word to Roache and kill Letho.

I thought I would add my two cents on some of these topics. In regard to if Stennis is guilty or not I present the following facts. First off we know that Olcan was involved in the plot. That is undisputed. We also know that Stennis ans Olcan were talking together and the conversation was circumstantial evidence about setting up the deed to poison Saskia. So what is pretty clear is that Stennis knew Olcan was going to kill Saskia. There is no direct evidence that says Olcan told Stennis about the plot but Stennis sure didn't ask questions of why Olcan wanted everyone removed to give access. Now here are a couple of points that people miss.

First off Olcan was dead so someone else had to actually poison the cup or at least place it for Saskia. They had to make sure no one washed it if it was poisoned before they went to see Henselt. It makes zero sense that the cup was placed at this table before they left to meet Henselt. So the deed was done by someone other than Olcan. Now defenders say that Stennis said nice things about Saskia. But in the US a persons last actions or words are more important. So him refusing to save Saskia is very damming. At this point he felt he no longer needed Saskia to defeat Henselt. If he did need her he would have saved her for this reason alone.

The game also gives us direct evidence of a motive. The journal says:
"After Demavend's demise, pretenders to the crown sprang up like mushrooms. Apart from the one powerful noble family, first fiddle in this volatile orchestra belonged jointly to Stennis, Demavend's son, and Saskia, a rebel leading a peasant insurrection."

So Saskia was direct competition for the crown against Stennis. That is powerful motive to have her killed. So to sum up Stennis had motive, disposition, frame of mind, and there was strong circumstantial evidence he knew of the plot. So even if he didn't place the poison or the cup he is at least guilt of conspiracy to commit murder.

Now another other major issue I have is people saying Geralt would not get involved with politics or want to help Iorvath. Geralt clearly showed he would side with non-humans. He fought with dwarves at Brenna. Got killed at Vizima defending non-humans and killing humans in the process. He has two close friends in Zoltan and Dandelion that were helping the non-humans. Then when you first meet Iorvath he receives some background and explanations on his motive. Iorvath wants a free land. He isn't a bigot but instead more of a freedom fighter. Yes he gets caught up fighting the special forces but for the most part his goal of a land for elves is the driving force behind his actions.

Would Geralt give him the sword? That can go either way. But Iorvath was under the protection of Geralt so it makes sense. I can't recall if Geralt see's Roache before this decision. If he doesn't that fully supports giving the sword. As for which side to then pick there are arguments for both sides. But Zoltan and Dandelion are going to Vergen so I think that along with Iorvath agreeing to help get Letho means Geralt goes this route. As for saving the women or killing Laredo that is an easy call. He saves the women. He can kill Laredo anytime. The more pressing problem is dealt with first. And just like at Vizima he will get involved to save innocnets.

Now the final point of contention is if Geralt kills Letho or not. One thing is clear. Geralt hates Nilfgaard. Letho was a pawn for them. Geralt also gave his word which if you recall was the reason he was fighting for Folstest at the start. And Letho got the better of Geralt twice before. That is plenty of motive and reason to kill him. If he doesn't kill Letho he can't clear his name. At best he will be viewed as in league with other witchers that kill kings. He has no choice but to keep his word to Roache and kill Letho.

I totally agree with you on all your points but one (Especially that Iorveth's path and Geralt's past and backstory would make him choose the non human path, because of Zoltan, Yarpen, Toruviel (in W1)..all characters that he met before and he wouldn't betray by playing on the political side and be on the side of humans that despise him because he's a mutant).

^ Regarding Letho..we can outweigh the pros and cons: Yes..Letho was working for the Emperor and killed two kings because he was persuaded by him to do so, BUT only at the promise that Emhyr will rebuild the school of witchers (which is understandable, because he considered Serrit and Auckes friends they all were from the same school and they all died except them).

With that said..Geralt doesn't gain anything from killing Letho. He doesn't clear his name because depending on what you choose before Letho (especially since you are on Iorveth side) there is either a major witch hunt ongoing or there is Henselt and Radovid splitting Temeria between themselves..they couldn't give two shits who killed Foltest.

Now another point in showing that Geralt wouldn't kill Letho:

- He didn't kill him back in the ruins where he could.
- He helped Geralt find the Wil Hunt after he saved him from the Slyzard to look for Yennefer.
- He took care of Yennefer (who is the love of his life) TWO times while he was away with the Wild Hunt.
- He gives him information where he could find Yennefer.
- (Witcher code FORBIDS killing of other witchers..this is more book canon than anything but it's still important).

These HEAVILY outweigh what Letho did in my first point and this is why Geralt wouldn't have anything to gain by killing Letho.

Last edited:
Regarding Letho..we can outweigh the pros and cons: Yes..Letho was working for the Emperor and killed two kings because he was persuaded by him to do so, BUT only at the promise that Emhyr will rebuild the school of witchers

So the whole issue of fighting Letho boils down to him helping Nilfgaard, and whether he'd do so again.

Book Spoiler:
Does Nilfgaard even matter. The creep-tastic elves from the world's Ciri meets, along with the Wild Hunt seem to be a far greater threat than Emhyr or Nilfgaard could ever be. They possess power unequal, and some of these characters are outright evil. We could easily argue Geralt and friends do the same as Letho, as they aid people who are just as 'bad' (perhaps misguided) as Emhyr, from time to time. Who are we to condone one and condemn another?

Let Letho live.

^ Exactly my point..I always left Letho alive in all my 7 playthroughs.

What I am having a trouble with is either leaving Cynthia live or not..since I go for Triss almost exclusively and I'm trying to finish off my playthrough on W1 & W2 non human..with Iorveth helped both times / Save Mottle / Go for Triss and now I'm pondering the decision with Cynthia if I should let her alive and let Emhyr get an WMD..which isn't something I really want to do, BUT what if Cynthia makes a cameo (same thing goes for Sile)..but in Cynthia's part..she's trying to give the Emperor a Virus that wiped out the Vrans.

Last edited:
^ Regarding Letho..we can outweigh the pros and cons: Yes..Letho was working for the Emperor and killed two kings because he was persuaded by him to do so, BUT only at the promise that Emhyr will rebuild the school of witchers (which is understandable, because he considered Serrit and Auckes friends they all were from the same school and they all died except them).
This is all fine and dandy but it goes to Letho's motivation and not Geralt's. It also shows Letho is weak minded. he was 'persuaded'. He was used. He was a pawn. Geralt can go through a small conversation (Stennis) just like this on how they laugh at him behind his back. How he's a tool and nothing more. And Geralt can get his revenge by saying Stennis is guilty.

With that said..Geralt doesn't gain anything from killing Letho. He doesn't clear his name because depending on what you choose before Letho (especially since you are on Iorveth side) there is either a major witch hunt ongoing or there is Henselt and Radovid splitting Temeria between themselves..they couldn't give two shits who killed Foltest.
I disagree and this is a key point. So what if a witch hunt is going on. It has no bearing on Geralt being innocent or guilty in the eyes of people. It's a non-sequitur argument. There is a warrant out for his arrest. There will be more bounty hunters. If he let's Letho live the very best Geralt can hope for is that they will think he was part of the plot. Roche and the Blue Stripes will still hunt for him. Nothing above says otherwise. His name has not been cleared.

Now another point in showing that Geralt wouldn't kill Letho:

- He didn't kill him back in the ruins where he could.
Uhm it was Letho that didn't kill Geralt. You (Geralt) got you but kicked. You lost that fight. This was the second time that he bested you. The great Geralt is not the best witcher. People will talk and you will lose your reputation.

- He helped Geralt find the Wil Hunt after he saved him from the Slyzard to look for Yennefer.
- He took care of Yennefer (who is the love of his life) TWO times while he was away with the Wild Hunt.
- He gives him information where he could find Yennefer.
Again it has nothing to do with Geralt's motivation. Letho was paying back Geralt for saving his life.

- (Witcher code FORBIDS killing of other witchers..this is more book canon than anything but it's still important).

These HEAVILY outweigh what Letho did in my first point and this is why Geralt wouldn't have anything to gain by killing Letho.
First off this is bogus. Geralt already killed another witcher. Secondly Letho made it clear he would kill Geralt. And finally, like the pirates code or the mob's code of conduct these are more like guidelines than actual laws. There is no punishment written down if a witcher kills another witcher.

You failed to say how Geralt clears his name if Letho lives. You failed to say how Geralt gets his reputation back or doesn't lose it even further. You failed to say how Geralt deals with breaking his word to Roche.

@Goodmongo When did he kill another witcher again? Oh..you mean Serrit (or was it Auckes?) during Roche's path and you do so in self defense and not by choice. Self defense doesn't count. Geralt doesn't kill any other witchers in the books (and I've tried to make the decisions based off how he would've done them there). Yes he is rather neutral in the books but he also leans on helping nonhumans more than humans and even some monsters at times (the fact that Regis was part of his company proves that).

I didn't say Geralt clears his name..like he said..the people that care about him already know he isn't guilty of Foltest's murder..everyone else doesn't matter. And no..killing Letho will not clear his name, because if it did matter then we would've gotten some sort of closure on that part (and I bet it's going to be irelevant in W3). Apart from that the white lie he told to Roche at the beginning was just to get out of jail.

I outweighed what Letho did for Geralt in my decision to keep him alive..all the information he gave us and that he took care of Yennefer when Geralt took her place and joined the Wild Hunt is reason enough to keep him alive.

Letho will most likely help Geralt with more information on the Wild Hunt and even help him again find and fight him again because he has done so in the past. Why on earth would you kill the only person that his whole Witcher school is revolving around knowing (they are experts in the Wild Hunt)..it would be stupid to kill such an information asset. It would be very lame for Letho to outright betray you again and go back to the Emperor after parting ways. He was shown in Sword of Destiny trailer surrounded by Geralt, Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert also gives a bit of truth to my theories that, if he is alive, he will help you out with the Wild Hunt.

This is my own thought process on the decisions and the way I see things after playing the game over 8 times and reading the books on how Geralt would decide these things: Always prioritize his friends so Yennefer > Triss > Dandelion > Zoltan > non human friends (that he has met during his travels) > humans that he met during his travels and he befriended > everyone else. And the last thing he cares about (or least care about) are politics and everyone revolved around them.

Last edited:
During first fight Letho said that he is not witcher anymore. So rebuilding viper school is probably another lie. besides he betrayed all his allies and Triss was captured by nilfgaardians because of his actions. He dont do any favors by saving Triss in chapter 3, its just points for Geralt not to kill him on the spot

Geralt killed the witcher on the first attempt at Folteast. It was not in self defense but instead in defending his king. Triss in the prologue confirmed that he was a witcher.

You keep saying that people who care about him knows that he didn't kill Foltest. So what. That's like saying the FBI is after you but your parents know you're innocent. It means squat. the others matter because you have a bounty on your head. How about waking up by having your throat slit while you sleep? Would that matter then?

For all we know Letho was raping Yennifer. You don't know. You are making an assumption that Letho treated Yennifer nicely. And letho gave Geralt just a couple of tidbits that Geralt would have found out anyway. Heck the book Geralt found by the guy in the hospital told him more. Not to mention the conversation with Sile's lesbian apprentice.

And then you continue with suppositions and guesswork by saying Letho might help in the future. That is all conjecture and nothing is there to support that. your entire argument is based on assuming Letho will do something or say something. There are no facts. There is no evidence to support it. It is all your belief. And that's fine. You're entitled to your belief. You can believe and guess at future actions all you want. But I'm trying to present facts and past actions.

BTW since he has very little memory about Yennifer having her over Triss is putting the cart before the horse. Triss warned of this in W2. He may just remember that she cast a spell or manipulated him. See now I'm guessing. But Triss is concerned for a reason. I'm basing it on playing the W1 and W2 to get every ending possible. I've also read all the books that have been officially translated into English.

Bottom line is Letho is a jerk, killer and only cares for Letho. He can't be trusted, hasn't kept his word and in fact will kill Geralt in the final fight if you lose. So much for that witcher code. And why did he tell Geralt that he was no longer a witcher?

@Goodmongo

If what you say about Letho is true,

Why did he go out of his way to do what he thought was right (via Geralt & Yen) when he could do otherwise to far more convenience?

I just spent a few marathon days replaying both Roche and Irovath's paths and doing a number of endings. Part of my initial mistake was that some of my previous comments were based on the original (non-EE) version of the game. Some major things changed and were added in the EE version.

I've done a 180 on killing Letho. The EE version removes one major reason while I felt Letho had to die. Clearing Geralt's name. It is now clear to me that enough events take place where Geralt is no longer considered to be a member of the plot. Geralt may want to kill him for pride and reputation. But it is no longer necessary to kill him. And having replayed all of Roche's path I found where his promise to Roche is no longer required to be kept. Roche himself only wants Letho dead from vengeance and not justice.

Having said this I still think I've nailed Letho and his motivation. While Geralt and Letho can part ways without a fight they also agreed to stay away from each other. Letho can't be trusted. He has his own plans and does not honor alliances. He doesn't consider himself a witcher anymore. There is no witcher code with him. He saved Triss solely for personal reasons. So while he has knowledge about the Hunt I don't see Geralt teaming up with him. the next time they meet they may actually fight to the death.

Top Bottom