WITCHER 2 LOCATIONS IN WITCHER 3? oh the dissapointment :c

+
WITCHER 2 LOCATIONS IN WITCHER 3? oh the dissapointment :c

So hello fellow Witchers and Witches :p

what can i say,when i first heard the witcher 3 is gonna have a HUGE open world in the northern realms,i assumed we;ll get alot more access through the northern kingdoms....
Aaaaaand looking at the "full" world maps shown on some sites like gamespot,it seems we;re only getting a small bit of Redenia and some of Temeria (the chunks of redina and temeria going as no mans land)...
:fury:
I was really hopping to be able to visit locations from previous games.....see the aftermath of our hard work during the witcher 1 and 2......visit places like vergen,rivia,kaer moren,loc muien......legandery places from the stories,like brena and cyntra.....but it seems like none is gonna be included...instead we get some viking isles,which are the size of the mainland map....not that im complaning,new content is always awesome and would feel much more exciting then going back to the same places,again......but its just kinda sad to know we wont be able to fully explore the northern realms....as a matter of fact,ive made a map showing just how little of the northern realms we'll actually see,based on the distance from oxenfurt to novigrad in the witcher 3 map and in the continent map.

View attachment 13940

this is rather dissapointing :(,.....im sure witcher 3 will be a great game and that ill love it alot atleast as much as the first two,but seeing this really kicked my hype train off the tracks.......ugh......maybe we'll get more in an expansion pack XD

There better be a good story about what happened to Sasklia,Roche,Iorverth and so on >:[

Attachments

• World_map.jpg
    World_map.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 533
I also expected the entire northen kingdoms seeing as they said in the trailer "hey look see that mountain you can go there and beyond"

Perhaps we will visit old locations in witcher 4 I hope so atleast...

But there are a few more areas that they havent really officially announced, those are:
Kaer morhen, vizima castle, The spiral, Island of mist. (the latter 2 have never been seen before except for a few seconds in the gamespot review).

Yeah, the world would be way too big. I don't really see a point to visiting old areas anyways. I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that Aedirn and Temeria have become royally fucked by Nilfgaard. Revisiting Flotsam would be cool though, I loved the atmosphere in that little shitho- I mean town.

You know, I was thinking the same thing today, but then I realized that in the interest of "real-time" geography, if you will, of the Continent, it is not possible to cram several kingdoms into one continuous map. If they actually did that, that would mean that they had to compress geography to fit in more things and that would be somewhat immersion breaking.

Take a look the map of the Continent and you will realize there is a scale there, there are miles and kilometers that have to be accounted for if you transfer some of the map into the game.

I am a bit disappointed they went the Dragon Age way with the regions, but the regions are themselves humongous, AND that is the only way to tell a story that has to be interwoven with key locations.

Take GTA V, the characters treat Blaine county as "upstate" - as in, the northern part of the map is many many miles away from the city. In real life New York state, for instance, "upstate" is at least 100-200 miles away from the main NYC hub. Next, what they did in GTA is they simulated real-life time and made time run faster, so, while it may take you 10 minutes to circumvent the entire map of GTA V in real life, you would have spent several hours in game-time.

The bottom line is while I agree that this is multi-region world isn't strictly Skyrim's "open world", it actually works in game's favor. I could seldom buy that the entirety of Skyrim was the entirety of the kingdom itself that we got to explore. Kingdoms are supposed to be way larger than that.

---------- Updated at 09:11 PM ----------

Yeah, the world would be way too big. I don't really see a point to visiting old areas anyways. I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that Aedirn and Temeria have become royally fucked by Nilfgaard. Revisiting Flotsam would be cool though, I loved the atmosphere in that little shitho- I mean town.

Haha, Flotsam had more life in it than the entirety of Skyrim.

Last edited:
well,witcher clock doesnt run the same as real life either.......but while GTA V is also a good example of a very well done,but strongly compressed open world (was hopping to see the whole of San Andreas there again,was really sad when that didnt happen),it doesnt mean that a world as large as the whole witcher world is impossible to do.
sure,that WOULD mean loading screens....that would mean ALOT more development time and probably make the game much more expansive.....but hey,games like WOW have a world that size........World of Witcher MMORPG anyone XD?

I too am severely disappointed that we'll have to visit new areas instead of the old ones. Absolutely preposterous, I say!

i didnt say i wasnt excited about the new regions,but they marketed the game as if we're gonna be able to go through the whole of the northern realms...and as if our choices in the witcher 2 would really mean stuff.....as it stands now,we get barely 5% of the northern realms.....and we probably will get a few lines of dialog refrencing our choices in the witcher 2 and 1....which is pretty sad :c

Last edited:
I agree. I would have loved to see some 'persistant' places from the previous games (especially places from the first game). But, I can understand why (maybe a few will be added later in expantions).

Also apart from the geographical reasons others have mentioned, Geralt isn't exaclty known to stick around in the same places for long ;p

#Edit: also regarding the region-based open world. I for one much prefer this approch. It feels a lot more organic to me. Than one huge blot of land like a giant field, surrounded by a barrier (a.k.a. mountains).

Last edited:
I agree. I would have loved to see some 'persistant' places from the previous games (especially places from the first game). But, I can understand why (maybe a few will be added later in expantions).

Also apart from the geographical reasons others have mentioned, Geralt isn't exaclty known to stick around in the same places for long ;p
i know! i mean,ok,they could even lets say break the open world and give us a few quests in places like vergen or flotsom or loc muien or rivia just for the heck of the satisfaction and "closing a circle" there.... for the sake of really exploring more of those "important" places,with lets say skipping the endless wilderness in between...grr

No, once you can stream seamlessly a larger map doesn't mean less performance and more loading screens... but it does mean more artist time than the more concentrated "regions" connected by fast travel.

(e.g. flight-simulations, don't have loading screens and can encompass real time flights around the world.. if they are built for that and support it (X-plane, FS (up to FSX), Prepare3D)). They stream terrain over much longer draw distances and update over much faster travel speeds, so their lower fidelity is approximately compensated by these differences. Much of the basic terrain work can be done automatically or procedurally, or uses standard GIS data formats... hand crafting to give a 'first person' convincing environment would be prohibitively expensive.

I think that CD Projekt RED made the right choice, and made the perfect map.. Skyrim's map for example is looking huge, but when you actually play the game, everything feels small - the villages, mountains, fields, "cities", everything is so close to another.. but even though TW3 looks small when viewed as a whole map of the entire witcher world, it has realistic proportions.. it feels like a normal place, which exist for houndred years.. where every village has it own place.. where the world makes sense.. where cities are actually cities.. and that, is how you make a good game-world

No, once you can stream seamlessly a larger map doesn't mean less performance and more loading screens... but it does mean more artist time than the more concentrated "regions" connected by fast travel.

(e.g. flight-simulations, don't have loading screens and can encompass real time flights around the world.. if they are built for that and support it (X-plane, FS (up to FSX), Prepare3D)). They stream terrain over much longer draw distances and update over much faster travel speeds, so their lower fidelity is approximately compensated by these differences. Much of the basic terrain work can be done automatically or procedurally, or uses standard GIS data formats... hand crafting to give a 'first person' convincing environment would be prohibitively expensive.

do flight simulators have densely populated,breathing,living worlds D:?

@Madmisha Nothing new here. We've known the World Map only includes a small splice of the Northern Realms since fall 2013. Didn't you ever stop in the map thread?

Would you rather they made it like Skyrim --where they depict an entire continent on a relatively tiny map you can cross in only 10 in-game hours?

@Madmisha Nothing new here. We've known the World Map only includes a small splice of the Northern Realms since fall 2013. Didn't you ever stop in the map thread?

Would you rather they made it like Skyrim --where they depict an entire continent on a relatively tiny map you can cross in only 10 in-game hours?

You have a great point here.

actually i didnt,im kinda new here....
and well,i would rather they included the ability to visit memorable places of the world one way or another,if making a HUGE world is really not worth the time or money....via fast travel instances or something....or yes,make it a huge world taking hours to cross on horse back,but with fast travel to big metropolises enabled from the start....not like elder scrolls online (aka running simulator)......

@Madmisha Welcome to the forums :D

Not to sound like I'm bashing your idea over the head or anything. But I felt like I could give some further explanation here.

First off, the world is HUGE. According to pre-release reports it is in fact 3.5x the size of Skyrim AT LEAST.
Second off, they could've depicted the entire Northern Realms if they wanted to --like Skyrim did for Tamriel-- but then --like Skyrim-- it wouldn't be to scale. For example, the city of Novigrad might have 70 inhabitants instead of 7,000. It would make the world far less believable.
Third off, there are some memorable locations in the game, like Kaer Morhen. I suppose you will have to take comfort in the fact that if they depicted every memorable location from the books you wouldn't want to visit them all because after visiting one or two you would realize the aren't the way they're described in the books --again, because of scale.

There was a game once like the one you're describing that had an absolutely massive world --that game was called The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, and it was 1,200x the size of The Witcher 3 (that's not even a typo!) But they accomplished that by making the world procedurally (randomly) generated. Hence it was repetitive and boring.

Maybe in the future game devs will be able to make giant worlds the size of Daggerfall with the detail of The Witcher 3, but with limited technology and funding we can't now. The Witcher 3 devs choose to depict a segregated region of The Northern realms in great detail rather than depicting in an entire continent in a way that compromised its depth. Considering the richness of The Witcher universe, I think we can both agree that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom