Witcher 3 Wild Hunt physx presentation

+
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt physx presentation

Will we see the nvidia and PC only physx presentation of effects like hairworks, cloth, fog, fluid and so on before the game is released? Will nvidia release the exhaustive guide to graphic settings like they did with GTA V or Far Cry 4 recently?

Will we see the nvidia and PC only physx presentation of effects like hairworks, cloth, fog, fluid and so on before the game is released? Will nvidia release the exhaustive guide to graphic settings like they did with GTA V or Far Cry 4 recently?

That bolded text is the only thing that's confirmed, so far as I know. Andrew Burnes(the guy who does those guides) Said he's been working on TW3 one.

That bolded text is the only thing that's confirmed, so far as I know. Andrew Burnes(the guy who does those guides) Said he's been working on TW3 one.

That's nice I absolutely love those comprehensive guides, but I would also like to see what nvidia has in store for us regarding the physx, so I'd like to see some showcase of that too :)

Erm, WAT? :D:D:D One potato, two potatoes :D
Though not a selectable or configurable setting, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt also features NVIDIA PhysX, which adds realistic cloth and destruction effects throughout the game. Powered by the CPU and available on all platforms, these effects make the world feel more alive and dynamic, with cloth blowing the in the wind and objects exploding realistically. On PC, these effects run at a higher detail level and with additional particles that further increase their fidelity and realism.
Source

Though not a selectable or configurable setting, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt also features NVIDIA PhysX, which adds realistic cloth and destruction effects throughout the game. Powered by the CPU and available on all platforms, these effects make the world feel more alive and dynamic, with cloth blowing the in the wind and objects exploding realistically. On PC, these effects run at a higher detail level and with additional particles that further increase their fidelity and realism.
Source

That's a bummer, but quite a good thing for those who don't have the green hardware inside their personal computers :D
I was digging further and I just recently discovered that the hair simulation is not Physx but actually runs in direct compute. So my question is does the witcher have hardware physx and will I benefit from a dedicated physx card? Personally I don't think so any more but according to these tables avaialble at http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-your-system-ready I will be able to play the game just fine on 1080p/ultra with all the lovely physx effects on with a stable 60 or more framerate.

Also The hair and fur physics uses DirectCompute, but everything else will use PhysX for the underlying solver (including Apex), and PhysX is scalable.. I would expect the Witcher 3 to have fog, smoke, water simulation, turbulence and other advanced particle effects as well which will benefit from, or be exclusive to hardware acceleration.

Cloth and destruction will use Apex, which is just an artist tool to speed up development but still relies on PhysX to do the processing... Apex can be designated to run on either the CPU or GPU (so the consoles can use Apex), the difference is of course the amount of computational power. On the CPU, the cloth simulation will be good, but not as awesome as on the GPU which can afford a lot more processing power for simulation.. So basically, hardware acceleration should give you better cloth simulation, and likely MORE as well. There can be multiple instances of high level cloth simulation on screen at the same time, such as environmental cloth effects that would be absent on CPU only Apex..

Same for the destruction effects. On CPU, the destruction effects will be good, but with GPU acceleration they will be greater and use more particles and debris..

Iam really looking forward on how nvidia and cd projekt red implemented these PC only graphical features and effects

ther's no fog, fluide simulation or volumetric clouds , all of that is gone, but ther's still some kind of very cheap cloud simulation, not sure what that is

only things remaining for sure are, physix, hairework ( wich dosnt look that good on geralt ) and HBAO+

Last edited:
ther's no fog, fluide simulation or volumetric clouds , all of that is gone, but ther's still some kind of very cheap cloud simulation, not sure what that is

only things remaining for sure are, physix, hairework ( wich dosnt look that good on geralt ) and HBAO+

How would you know? have you played the final version of the game yet? :) besides the horrible spelling mistakes, hbao+ is not a physx feature.

---------- Updated at 07:25 AM ----------

So for those interested what is actually affected by physx and hairworks are the actual hair on some monsters and geralts hair of course, geralts horse roach of course along with other horses and there is some kind of cloud technology that can be seen recently in project CARS and the wind actually effects the waves in the sea and there are physx particles like smoke, and little particle debris while doing magic and on top of it, the water reacts realistically to geralts magic if he decides to do it in water :)
Here is some teaser from nvidia site that showcases a little bit of nvidia hairworks
http://gfycat.com/SevereSmoggyKomododragon

I would expect the Witcher 3 to have fog, smoke, water simulation, turbulence and other advanced particle effects as well which will benefit from, or be exclusive to hardware acceleration.
Not really, Smoke and Turbulence effects are GPU Acc PhysX and that's not being used. Water is CDPR's own tech, they were offered early version of WaveWorks at the time but they found their own to be better IIRC. The only things we do know are H/W accelerated are Clothing and Destruction along with rigid body physics effects etc.

And to the other poster, they were always SEMI-volumetric clouds and they still are the same.

How would you know? have you played the final version of the game yet? :) besides the horrible spelling mistakes, hbao+ is not a physx feature.

---------- Updated at 07:25 AM ----------

So for those interested what is actually affected by physx and hairworks are the actual hair on some monsters and geralts hair of course, geralts horse roach of course along with other horses and there is some kind of cloud technology that can be seen recently in project CARS and the wind actually effects the waves in the sea and there are physx particles like smoke, and little particle debris while doing magic and on top of it, the water reacts realistically to geralts magic if he decides to do it in water :)
Here is some teaser from nvidia site that showcases a little bit of nvidia hairworks
http://gfycat.com/SevereSmoggyKomododragon

oh excuse my mistakes sir, english is far from my native language, also if you tried a little bit you could have checked Nvidia geforce website to see exactly what W3 is using

Not really, Smoke and Turbulence effects are GPU Acc PhysX and that's not being used. Water is CDPR's own tech, they were offered early version of WaveWorks at the time but they found their own to be better IIRC. The only things we do know are H/W accelerated are Clothing and Destruction along with rigid body physics effects etc.

And to the other poster, they were always SEMI-volumetric clouds and they still are the same.

Aha, but I read in some german preview that the devs are actually using the waveworks with the day 1 patch for PC look here http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/The-Witcher-3-Screenshots-1159185/, it's in german, but you can always use google translate. Because the water is actually reacting almost realistically to the Geralts magic he is able to perform.
Oh and are you sure there is definitely not smoke or turbulence, because I've read that besides the physx particle system they are using both simulated smoke with turbulence, although I can't seem to find that article, it was an old one again from a german site...

---------- Updated at 07:42 AM ----------

oh excuse my mistakes sir, english is far from my native language, also if you tried a little bit you could have checked Nvidia geforce website to see exactly what W3 is using

Nvidia site isn't really reliable source for this stuff, I remember back in the day when Wolfenstein The New Order was being released and nvidia on their site said it will support SLI, but in the end we all know it did not.

It doesn't say anything about WaveWorks, just that Day 1 patch fixes several things, some were bugged and weren't working, it's still CD's tech.

It doesn't say anything about WaveWorks, just that Day 1 patch fixes several things, some were bugged and weren't working, it's still CD's tech.

Rough translation via Google Translate so excuse anything weird:
"In comparison, you can quite clearly see an improved representation of vegetation, recognize the shading and textures, to us an evidently more expensive water view noticed where wind dependent tessellated waves can be observed now and reacts dynamically to spells or similar"

Does that mean it's an in house CD Projekt RED water and wave technology? Because one would think they are talking about the waveworks, considering it's exactly what waveworks are supposed to do according to https://developer.nvidia.com/waveworks

As far as I'm aware, yes.

I managed to find the old video presenting the nvidia efffects here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g
It seems the game didn't only had a major downgrade in terms of graphical fidelity but the use of nvidia specific features was cut off too, for example the lovely aerial perspective fog, semi volumetric clouds or even the extremely nice looking forward lit soft particles...Where did all these features go?

Iam also quite happy nvidia already released, like 2 hours ago the game ready driver, which is fantastic, it seem they not only add an sli profile, but a completely new updated one that is stutter free, unless it's a marketing thing, along with the gameworks video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4Hmgtl8q0

sidspyker said:
Someone else asked this so I addressed as many as I could over here:
forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36162-Effects-From-REDEngine-3-presentation

Well I just read the entire thing I can honestly say most of the effects were cut off, looking at the PC footage after the release of the day 1 patch on ultra settings with all the gameworks and physx enabled...It seems the game did have a major downgrade since it's showcase in 2013 of the nvidia features seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g
It's undoubtedly true, I thought this was the thing of the past, afterall ubisoft are the masters of downgrade, look at watch dogs or far cry 4. I was thining CD projekt RED wouldn't do the same thing, but I was mistaken, witcher 3 graphical fidelity was cut off and the effects reduced for the game to look and work at least on 30 fps on current gen toaster machines.
It's a shame that in year 2015 we still have to witness such blatant fallacy from the developers themselves.

Top Bottom