Scaling in this game.

+
Scaling in this game.

I was working under the impression that this game didn't have scaling in it. I was enjoying the challenge of Deathmarch facing enemies and trying to explore despite being underleveled. However I noticed I was picking up an unusual number of low level relic swords with names from the previous game. I've come learn that apparently while the enemies in the game are not scaled, your rewards are. Meaning I may have already permanently destroyed high level items by finding them too early.

Is there some way to turn this feature off or can we start some kind of petition to do so? I get that some folks might not want to find loot they can't use, but I find it even more frustrating to potentially ruin loot because I stumbled upon it a few levels earlier then intended, especially when the loot in question will not level back up with you.

If someone from CD-Projekt sees this, please consider making this feature toggle-able, as it has pretty much stopped my will to play the game cold until I can fix it.

there is no npc scaling .. that said .. unique items do not scale . but there are aloot of non uniqe items that scale on spawn.. most uniqe item that do not scale need to be crafted manually .. they are normally the best . other scaled items are there to help you get items you can use with okey stuff but a bitt under your lvl just in case .. for me it works fine .. there are some other items that are always there and do not scale .. but those are rare .. item type like relice is more a quality indicator. havent noticed the item scaling before i read about it actually so yea .. from what i can see that most items in crates and so on are random generated .. while many chest have pre defined items in them

To be fair the scaling on certain items is pretty random and can just as easily produce some +5 level as it can -5. As stated above the important items are indeed not scaled to your level. Why you would care about finding an under level blue or yellow item really seems like a non issue at least to me.

Also once your level 8 and find your first available Witcher gear. Assuming you want the Griffin set. You really need no other Armor until absolute max level. Seeing as Witcher does technically level with you. Even then it's random as you'll most like only receive gear thats better if its out of the range of achieveable XP anyways.

In any case this feature shouldn't really stop you from playing this awesome game. And if things were completely opposite of now it would make the game far more linear as most people would follow a certain order to get the gear required.

Wait wait wait wait.

So when I found the Moon Blade a Relic item in a box in the river that was random loot? And its not a "named" weapon that would have spawned higher level had I been higher at the time? Can you find another one? Are crafted uniques always the best items anyway making this a non-issue?

If this whole thing only applies to random drops that aren't ever going to be "great" anyway, then I guess it really is a non issue. I was under the impression (mostly from the names, since they were some of the better weapons in the previous games) that these items should have been better than they are and that I had effectively ruined a one of a kind item by finding it too early. Is this not the case?

You would be correct. You can find named items that are either scaled to you or may even be -5 to +5 levels in difference to yours. the REALLY amazing, extraordinary items you find in loot or off of monsters usually drop in Diagram fashion, so you can craft it when you are able to wield it, or wear it.

Yes this is seemingly exactly how it works. Actually the Moon Blade you stated actually falls into a quest which you don't necessary have to find in order to get the blade. So if you had found this at level 35 I'm fairly certain (never want to say anything 100%). That this item would indeed be the level you see now. Or at least close to it. I also found it weird that swords like Deithwen and Addan Deith were so awkwardly terrible in this game compared to W2 but I've only ever received one of each these named swords and while I cant remember with certainty have been near to the same level every time I acquire them.

Saying all that crafted Witcher gear does indeed seem to be the best gear as it upgrades with you all the way to level 35. This isn't always the case such as the Assassin gauntlets you can find with 10% critical chance. Much better then the comparative Cat light gauntlets.

Last edited:
So do those relic items drop more than once? Is it possible to find multiple Moon Blades at different levels?

So do those relic items drop more than once? Is it possible to find multiple Moon Blades at different levels?

I've only ever seen one of each named relic blade. There may be multiple copies of certain more general named ones I'm not entirely sure. Once I obtained Witcher swords I never really looked at relics anymore.

Well then. I still wish these items weren't scaled but if they aren't really relevant because uniques outclass them then I suppose it doesnt' matter much. Seems a rather ignoble end to some otherwise legendary blades though.

Thankyou very much to those of you who helped me understand. You've given me enough hope to let me continue playing without fear.

Top Bottom