Is it officially stated anywhere that Grey quests aren't suppose to give EXP? Also, what IS the no-EXP bug? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

+
Is it officially stated anywhere that Grey quests aren't suppose to give EXP? Also, what IS the no-EXP bug? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Two questions.

1. Grey quests (6+ levels lower than you). Are these NOT suppose to give EXP? If this were an MMO or something it would make sense, but for a single player game it does not. Also, it wasn't that way in The Witcher 2. I know people have accepted that they don't give any exp, but where is it stated that they do not? The Main storyline is suppose to give most of your exp, which is great and all, however I do all sidequests I can prior to advancing main storyline, and at level 16 I am just starting on Act 1 progression (main Story). It doesn't make sense for a system like that to be in place, however, I guess it could be working as intended, I would just like to see an official statement from CDPR or the Game Manual/tutorial explaining this. I have a feeling they are suppose to give EXP, even if it is reduced amoounts.

2. What is the bug going on that people are saying causes quests to not give any exp. Is it every quest/Main Story Quests/ Side quest... what is it? Is there a level range you need to be in, in order for it to not give exp when it is suppose to? Has anyone actually confirmed that this is for all platforms of the game, or are people going off just the Xbox One sub-forum post that a developer mentioned some quests aren't giving EXP and a fix was coming... because I haven't seen anything other than that ONE post. I have a really hard time seeing which quests are not giving me exp and are suppose to, because it seems with the grey quests not giving me any EXP, and some quests giving EXP in the middle of the quest instead of the end.. it's difficult to pay attention.

***Side Note: Does anyone know which INI file would have the values for quest EXP and scaling? I would gladly go digging for the "bug" myself and fixing it unofficially since it's already been over 24 hours since CDPR acknowledged the bug and still has yet to produce a "hotfix". Seems like it would be a very simple fix...

It's been taken as lore for years that red = no go, orange = dodgy, green = normal, grey = easy/no xp.

Not sure how you have never come across it before :/

I saw a red post stating that grey quests do not give xp. The no xp bug is a bug where you get no xp for quests, even the ones at your lvl, higher etc.

It's an rpg thing, not a game specific thing.
I've been playing RPGs since Ultima I and I don't think I've ever seen grey "no XP" quests before; it strikes me as an utterly dumb idea. Why should it matter if I solve the mystery of The Devil In the Well at the start of the game, or 30 hours into it? If killing monsters gives next to no XP then surely it's the solving bit rather than the fighting bit that's earning the XP, and that doesn't get any easier at higher levels.

It's been taken as lore for years that red = no go, orange = dodgy, green = normal, grey = easy/no xp.

Not sure how you have never come across it before :/

Taken as LORE? What.. that is nothing to do with lore... at all. It has been common in ONLINE VIDEO GAMES with that being the way it works, yes... but single player games, no never. I have never come across it before in a SINGLE PLAYER game. It means that depending on the order you do quests, you can either work the system to progressively gain a lot more levels than someone else who does a lot of sidequests or things in order, which means they will have completely different difficulty when it comes to clearing story content. If someone attempts to min/max their exp from quests, and gets to level 43 before the end of the game, they will have a much easier time than someone who does all the side quests and attempts to do things lower level first, while exploring and such... then ending up at level 32 at the end of the game. Do you see how that wouldn't make sense in a SINGLE PLAYER game?

In a MMO or online game with a quest/leveling system it makes sense, because they want you to somewhat be on rails and not skip important quest areas due to having too much exp, however, in a single player game, creating quests that reward no experience gives no incentive to spend time completing them (incentive in the form of character progression). That is why I am confused and think that it is not intended... however I have not seen anything official stating that it is.

Taken as LORE? What.. that is nothing to do with lore... at all. It has been common in ONLINE VIDEO GAMES with that being the way it works, yes... but single player games, no never. I have never come across it before in a SINGLE PLAYER game. It means that depending on the order you do quests, you can either work the system to progressively gain a lot more levels than someone else who does a lot of sidequests or things in order, which means they will have completely different difficulty when it comes to clearing story content. If someone attempts to min/max their exp from quests, and gets to level 43 before the end of the game, they will have a much easier time than someone who does all the side quests and attempts to do things lower level first, while exploring and such... then ending up at level 32 at the end of the game. Do you see how that wouldn't make sense in a SINGLE PLAYER game?

In a MMO or online game with a quest/leveling system it makes sense, because they want you to somewhat be on rails and not skip important quest areas due to having too much exp, however, in a single player game, creating quests that reward no experience gives no incentive to spend time completing them (incentive in the form of character progression). That is why I am confused and think that it is not intended... however I have not seen anything official stating that it is.

Don't you love these 16yr old players who know everything ;)

Trust me, mmo's follow on from rpg's. Even straight up shooters started using the system... after it was already in place ;)

Do you seriously not think there were rpg's before the internet was so widespread and everything was online?

Trust me, mmo's follow on from rpg's. Even straight up shooters started using the system... after it was already in place ;)

Do you seriously not think there were rpg's before the internet was so widespread and everything was online?
I'm 41 and I've been playing RPGs for 34 years, and I have never seen this at all, ever.

Last edited:
I've never seen color-coded quest levels in RPGs until the trend started with MMOs, probably WoW particularly. Same with exclamation marks over quest NPC heads and all the other modern "RPG" features.

I'm 32, been gaming since I was 5. I agree that MMO's followed from single player games (Um.. duh?), but that is not what was asked nor stated.

Again, in what world would it make sense for a grey quest in a single player experience, to not give exp? This creates more problems than it would solve. Reduced EXP sure, as that might even be expected. But the original question was, is it stated officially anywhere. That's it. I am not saying it is wrong, or anything like that. It is their game, if that is how they want it to be then great. I am saying... where does it state that they are suppose to give no experience? All these talks about bugs and issues, is it possible that it is not working as intended? Just trying to make sense of it.

I'm 41 and I've been playing RPGs for 34 years, and I have never seen this at all, ever.

I'm 32 and I have to admit I have seen this in one type of game only.. MMORPG's. THis is the first time I've seen it in a single player rpg.
Source: DC Universe Online, Star Wars The old Republic are the mmo's I've played. Single player rpg's Mass Effect series, TES Morrowind-Skyrim, Fallout 3, KOTOR 1and 2, FFVII,FFVIII,FFX, Witcher series of course, and Dragon Age Orgins. I'm sure there are some I forgot but I think I've proved my point.
Edit: I don't mind the inclusion here however.

Last edited:
By the way, Mr. Condescending, the first online multiplayer RPG was released in 1980, a mere five years after the first single-player RPG. Admittedly they were very simple, but if you're going to make sarcastic comments about people being ignorant of the history of computer games you'd do well to learn some of it yourself: playing computer games online with or against other people is not a new thing.

I'm 32, been gaming since I was 5. I agree that MMO's followed from single player games (Um.. duh?), but that is not what was asked nor stated.

Again, in what world would it make sense for a grey quest in a single player experience, to not give exp? This creates more problems than it would solve. Reduced EXP sure, as that might even be expected. But the original question was, is it stated officially anywhere. That's it. I am not saying it is wrong, or anything like that. It is their game, if that is how they want it to be then great. I am saying... where does it state that they are suppose to give no experience? All these talks about bugs and issues, is it possible that it is not working as intended? Just trying to make sense of it.

You are correct, it wasn't what was asked. What 'was' asked was, is it official that grey gives no xp.

The answer is yes *shrug* Is it written anywhere? probably not.

You are correct, it wasn't what was asked. What 'was' asked was, is it official that grey gives no xp.

The answer is yes *shrug* Is it written anywhere? probably not.

Then how can it be official? I have combed the files relating to questing and experience, and have found no indication of something addressing that a quest will give you no experience at a certain level. I have found the base amounts, I have found the color coordination, what determines their levels etc... but not 1 line showing to null the experience. CDPR has not said that it is official, nor does it say anywhere in game including the glossary.

So, because it doesn't give experience right now, is not an indication that it is working as intended (which means it is NOT official by definition). Until there is clarification, people will question.

I'm pretty sure that grey quests usually give xp even in mmo's, at least the ones I've played. "Grey" enemies however, usually don't. They do in The Witcher 3, just not much. A level 12 nekker gives me 3 xp at level 23. A big pack of lvl 15 white wolves? 38 xp. It's not a huge amount of xp, but it adds up.

Last edited:
Then how can it be official? I have combed the files relating to questing and experience, and have found no indication of something addressing that a quest will give you no experience at a certain level. I have found the base amounts, I have found the color coordination, what determines their levels etc... but not 1 line showing to null the experience. CDPR has not said that it is official, nor does it say anywhere in game including the glossary.

So, because it doesn't give experience right now, is not an indication that it is working as intended (which means it is NOT official by definition). Until there is clarification, people will question.

And I thought I was argumentative :D

Just do any search on any search engine regarding no xp, or grey quests, or grey mobs, or grey labels.

Any search

And I thought I was argumentative :D

Just do any search on any search engine regarding no xp, or grey quests, or grey mobs, or grey labels.

Any search
And all the results are for MMOs (ESO, WoW, KotOR, etc.) This is not an MMO. In a single player game this mechanic makes no sense at all. (And as for it always meaning "no XP", in Age of Conan it just means "a lot less XP", so even this apparent rule that we should all know isn't actually a rule.)

And all the results are for MMOs (ESO, WoW, KotOR, etc.) This is not an MMO. In a single player game this mechanic makes no sense at all.

Ok, let's try a different tack here.

Why does it make no sense? Do you think that you should get rewarded for something you could sneeze on and it would fall over?

Top Bottom