[SPOILERS] Why are we routing for the North?

+
Nilfgaard isn't evil lol.
Isn't talking to Emhyr convincing?
it is an empire with strong leader. And a healthy leader by the way, compared with Radovid.

The whole unprovoked attack on the North, murder of the Kings of the North, and what the Bloody Baron's men are doing to Velen kind of make me laugh at any real claims of Nilfgaardian moral superiority.

Also, I call Roachpoop on the idea they're any more tolerant since the drunk at the White Orchard inn talks about how they raped and murdered a bunch of Melithil priestesses.

I.e. the goddess who doesn't suck, unlike the Eternal Fire.

The whole unprovoked attack on the North, murder of the Kings of the North, and what the Bloody Baron's men are doing to Velen kind of make me laugh at any real claims of Nilfgaardian moral superiority.

Also, I call Roachpoop on the idea they're any more tolerant since the drunk at the White Orchard inn talks about how they raped and murdered a bunch of Melithil priestesses.

I.e. the goddess who doesn't suck, unlike the Eternal Fire.
Baron isn't Nilfgaardian. He is a puppet from the North, former Temerian officer. He is a temprorary solution to occupied lands.
Unprovoked attacks? Northern kindoms fight each other for decades. Using unprovoked attacks.
Soldiers are the same everywhere. Redanian soldiers (or rather deserters) rape and murder their own citizens, lol.
Have you read the books? It is stated multiple times, that the South is more developed, educated and tolerant. The emperor rules with iron fist, but he doesn't burn people alive and doesn't genocide elfs and dwarves just for fun.

Last edited:
Baron isn't Nilfgaardian. He is a puppet from the North, former Temerian officer. He is a temprorary solution to occupied lands.
Soldiers are the same everywhere. Redanian soldiers (or rather deserters) rape and murder their own citizens, lol.
Have you read the books? It is stated multiple times, that the South is more developed, educated and tolerant. The emperor rules with iron fist, but he doesn't burn people alive and doesn't genocide elfs and dwarves just for fun.

Your excuse is the Baron isn't Nilfgaardian, he just works for them?

:)

And frankly, as real-life Imperialism proves, when a more advanced society conquers a less advanced, they DON'T tend to share their advantages.

CD Projekt Red has done something interesting by softening Nilfgaard considerably from the books into something less "These guys are Fantasy Nazis invading Fantasy Poland" to something more morally ambiguous.

Whoa, that's reaching. In the books, wars between North and Nilfgaard are wars between the past and the future. The old feudal system steadily losing ground to a more efficient form of rule - the absolute monarchy. Nilgaard isn't some all consuming monstrosity out to murder everyone, as Toussaint, Nazair and a host of other countries assimilated by or tied to the empire can attest to.

I like Nilfgaard. I decided to side with them but then I haven't finished the game yet...so far they seem better than the North.

Whoa, that's reaching. In the books, wars between North and Nilfgaard are wars between the past and the future. The old feudal system steadily losing ground to a more efficient form of rule - the absolute monarchy. Nilgaard isn't some all consuming monstrosity out to murder everyone, as Toussaint, Nazair and a host of other countries assimilated by or tied to the empire can attest to.

My take on the Nilfgaard is a significantly less rosy depiction. Its up to the reader, I suppose, but the implications I got were they were a pretty horrible bunch of people during the war.

Well, duh. War is terrible. At the same time Nilfgaard seems to understand wars are means to an end, and act accordingly. There's no point in conquest if you end up ruling over a barren wasteland.

Well, duh. War is terrible. At the same time Nilfgaard seems to understand wars are means to an end, and act accordingly. There's no point in conquest if you end up ruling over a barren wasteland.

Eh, part of the issue is the Nilfgaard practice racial supremacy as part of their conquest. Nilfgaardians think of themselves as Eldar and elvish while Northerners are regular humans and dirt.

So, really, conquest will not be sunshine and roses but exploitation and slavery.

We are meant to root for the North because, for those who read books, the Saga of Witcher mostly takes place there, and for those who only played in The Witcher Trilogy, well, the games are set there.

I used to all for the independent North, but after seeing what combined forces of a bloodthirsty madman, religious fanatics, prejudiced commonfolk did with the once prosperous region, I stopped and went full Nilfgaard. No, this is not an Utopian country, there are none in The Witcher world. But they are the best option out of all, if we disregard neutral Kovir or small states like Toussaint. Thank gods they are not portrayed as the evil empire - we have them enough since LoTR. Remember, we used to look at them with North bias. But now everyone sane can add 2 and 2 and come to a conclusion living in Nilfgaard as an non ordinary person (which Geralt, as a witcher is) is simply better.

But now everyone sane can add 2 and 2 and come to a conclusion living in Nilfgaard as an non ordinary person (which Geralt, as a witcher is) is simply better.
Letho would not agree, and plus emhyr say to geralt he dont want to see him ever again so no life for Geralt in nilfgard

We are meant to root for the North because, for those who read books, the Saga of Witcher mostly takes place there, and for those who only played in The Witcher Trilogy, well, the games are set there.

I used to all for the independent North, but after seeing what combined forces of a bloodthirsty madman, religious fanatics, prejudiced commonfolk did with the once prosperous region, I stopped and went full Nilfgaard. No, this is not an Utopian country, there are none in The Witcher world. But they are the best option out of all, if we disregard neutral Kovir or small states like Toussaint. Thank gods they are not portrayed as the evil empire - we have them enough since LoTR. Remember, we used to look at them with North bias. But now everyone sane can add 2 and 2 and come to a conclusion living in Nilfgaard as an non ordinary person (which Geralt, as a witcher is) is simply better.

Eh, good and evil can be very situational. Nilfgaard isn't an evil Empire....to its citizens. It is to those it conquers.

Letho would not agree, and plus emhyr say to geralt he dont want to see him ever again so no life for Geralt in nilfgard

Hopefully Ciri will change that.

Having Empress as your daughter should have its perks, creating a witcher-friendly zone being one of them.

Yeah but if geralt choose to settle down he dont like either of countries, its either Kovir or Blue mountains

Or Zerrikania.

Wishful thinking for DLC set in desert, where you can hunt scorpions, ride on zebras, meet dangerous, scimitar-welding ladies and have the best vacation ever.

Or Zerrikania.

Wishful thinking for DLC set in desert, where you can hunt scorpions, ride on zebras, meet dangerous, scimitar-welding ladies and have the best vacation ever.
That would be cool DLC, there is dragons too in zerrikania,maybe even meet saskia and her father if she somehow miss that tree

---------- Updated at 11:15 AM ----------

Eh, good and evil can be very situational. Nilfgaard isn't an evil Empire....to its citizens. It is to those it conquers.
Fringila disagree

Top Bottom