NVIDIA GeForce 353.06 FPS drops

+
NVIDIA GeForce 353.06 FPS drops

I'm getting 5-7 fps fewer in the latest driver. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

If you had disabled the nvidia streamer service, check if it was re-enabled on install. See if any custom profile you had made for witcher 3 was reset as well. Usually those are the biggest reasons for drops like that. Every other test I've seen has shown improvement or nil.

sigh, before this update I had a constant 60 fps framerate on my Gsync monitor, with the potential output between 70-85 fps. Now it runs at 45 fps, thanks nvidia =(

Strange results. No more, no less fps my case and a better management of the GPU power.

Last edited:
The golden rule applies here,do not try to fix it if it's not broken.I used older drivers for my Keplar (GTX770) card most of the time.

Hopefully a game patch can help things along. Optimization doesn't necessarily mean better framerates, but better fidelity and stability.

Guest 3819801

Strange results. No more, no less fps my case and a better management of the GPU power.

Yep, no fps loss nor gain in my case. It runs exactly as it did before this new driver.

in my case the 30 fps limit and transparent texture AA was disabled in my nv inspector profile after installing the driver (no clean install, no geforce experience) and physx was set to automatic instead of CPU like before (did not install physx with the driver or uninstall it).

i gained 16 % fps.

and i realized setting textures from high to medium makes it WAY more playable and smoother and settings textures to low on a 2 GB Card makes the game run like buttery smooth! strange thing is, i only gain 0.5-1 fps more when lowering textures from high to low, but it feels like gaining 30 fps! normally high textures should be no problem on a 2 gb card, but it seems this game is very badly optimized when it comes to vram usage and texture streaming / memory management.
i guess that's a reason why textures were set to low with the 1.04 update.

Guest 3819801

in my case the 30 fps limit and transparent texture AA was disabled in my nv inspector profile after installing the driver (no clean install, no geforce experience) and physx was set to automatic instead of CPU like before (did not install physx with the driver or uninstall it).

i gained 16 % fps.

and i realized setting textures from high to medium makes it WAY more playable and smoother and settings textures to low on a 2 GB Card makes the game run like buttery smooth! strange thing is, i only gain 0.5-1 fps more when lowering textures from high to low, but it feels like gaining 30 fps! normally high textures should be no problem on a 2 gb card, but it seems this game is very badly optimized when it comes to vram usage and texture streaming / memory management.
i guess that's a reason why textures were set to low with the 1.04 update.

Well, textures look great in this game. I am talking about Ultra textures. Those are absolutely must have! Gladly I don't know what are you talking about, since I don't have any problems using ultra textures with my 2gb GPU. If you need extra fps though I would recommend setting shadows to low instead. This game has absolutely insignificant quality loss when switching from ultra to low shadows...
Also when you talk about vram actually measure it because it's only 1.5~gb of vram used when running with ultra textures. Other settings: 1080p, all post effects (including DoF which I hate personally but this game did it well), hairworks off, Foliage high, shadows high, other settings ultra. As I said 1.4-1.5 gbs of vram is used.

I too am having significant fps drops now (GTX 970 Strix). Was able to have constant 60fps except for running around in novigrad which usually dropped it to around 50-55. Now just about everywhere I go has drops down to 55 with some getting down to 40. Have changed my settings and doesn't seem to help much at all. Was running a mix of high and ultra settings with the blurs turned off as well as depth of field and no hairworks. Kinda curious as to what happened.

760 here. FPS is still the same but it is actually smoother and i play as if it was 60 fps constant (Mine is 30 fps with no lock)

I'm getting 5-7 fps fewer in the latest driver. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
I too am having significant fps drops now (GTX 970 Strix). Was able to have constant 60fps except for running around in novigrad which usually dropped it to around 50-55. Now just about everywhere I go has drops down to 55 with some getting down to 40. Have changed my settings and doesn't seem to help much at all. Was running a mix of high and ultra settings with the blurs turned off as well as depth of field and no hairworks. Kinda curious as to what happened.

Id check your settings, and that your card isn't heating up, I have only seen same results or gains even on the nvidia forums where people are having really bad problems with games across the board.
Make sure you don't have shadowplay on
Make sure you didn't turn up ANY settings, I have a config that works great for 970's in my sig if you need to start somewhere.
Make sure you're not overclocking or using any kind of OSD and you're not in windowless instead of full screen.
Let me know

Id check your settings, and that your card isn't heating up, I have only seen same results or gains even on the nvidia forums where people are having really bad problems with games across the board.
Make sure you don't have shadowplay on
Make sure you didn't turn up ANY settings, I have a config that works great for 970's in my sig if you need to start somewhere.
Make sure you're not overclocking or using any kind of OSD and you're not in windowless instead of full screen.
Let me know

K I just had to quit a section of the game it was so bad, dropped down to 11FPS at one point. I am going to meet the ladies of the woods and started fighting drowners and went from 60 down to 10-20 and didn't go back up even after the battle. The card temp never went above 60c. I would also like to point out that I have played this game the entire way through with the same gfx settings I am playing with on this new playthrough and have only started experiencing these problems with the update. Shadowplay is not running and wasn't before. I run in full screen with the fps set to unlimited (it was causing my game to crash prior to the new drivers and that fixed my crashes). I also set the power preference in the nvidia control panel for the witcher 3 to "prefer maximum performance".

Like I said I have beat the game that was all on the old drivers and up to patch 1.04. Mixed settings with High/Ultra, unlimited fps, full screen, 1080p, no hairworks, no shadowplay and I was getting 60 FPS the whole way through the game (minus being in novigrad where it usually dropped to 50. Now i usually only get 60 when I am not doing anything but running or walking and even then its rare on this new playthrough. My card with this game usually runs at around 71-73c for this game and it's a little hot but not dangerous.

I guess I will load up my first playthough and see if there is any difference.

Well, textures look great in this game. I am talking about Ultra textures. Those are absolutely must have! Gladly I don't know what are you talking about, since I don't have any problems using ultra textures with my 2gb GPU. If you need extra fps though I would recommend setting shadows to low instead. This game has absolutely insignificant quality loss when switching from ultra to low shadows...
Also when you talk about vram actually measure it because it's only 1.5~gb of vram used when running with ultra textures. Other settings: 1080p, all post effects (including DoF which I hate personally but this game did it well), hairworks off, Foliage high, shadows high, other settings ultra. As I said 1.4-1.5 gbs of vram is used.

i could use ultra textures with my 2gb vram card, and would have only 1 fps less, that's not the problem.

i am talking about the texture "streaming". how fast textures are loaded into memory.

if your card uses 1.5gb of vram, that only means it has to swap textures a lot more often with less textures in higher quality which use more ram for a single texture which will slow down your pc. you have the same fps rendered by the graphics card, but it will not feel so smooth. it's the same with overclocking your vram, you will not gain a lot more fps, but it will feel like playing with 120 fps compared to before.

not only textures, but also shadow maps are loaded into vram and it's used for other stuff, too, so that's why it will not buffer 2gb of textures in it but only 1.5gb.
if you had 4 gb of vram it would use 3.5 gb and buffer less, you will have a smoother experience.

faster vram also improves frame times, so it will feel more steady and smooth with the same fps but a more average frametime.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my current FPS.
Unless Nvidia is going to throw in some free chocolate cake or a few boxes of cookies, I see no reason to update the driver.

If you're getting 60 FPS or darn close, what's the incentive to trying the new driver?

Does anybody experiencing driver issues use SLI? Whenever I update my GeForce driver, SLI is always automatically disabled for me, and I have to manually re-enable it again.

Guest 3819801

i could use ultra textures with my 2gb vram card, and would have only 1 fps less, that's not the problem.

i am talking about the texture "streaming". how fast textures are loaded into memory.

if your card uses 1.5gb of vram, that only means it has to swap textures a lot more often with less textures in higher quality which use more ram for a single texture which will slow down your pc. you have the same fps rendered by the graphics card, but it will not feel so smooth. it's the same with overclocking your vram, you will not gain a lot more fps, but it will feel like playing with 120 fps compared to before.

not only textures, but also shadow maps are loaded into vram and it's used for other stuff, too, so that's why it will not buffer 2gb of textures in it but only 1.5gb.
if you had 4 gb of vram it would use 3.5 gb and buffer less, you will have a smoother experience.

faster vram also improves frame times, so it will feel more steady and smooth with the same fps but a more average frametime.

No, you are absolutely wrong.

This game doesn't have any problems with texture streaming so you won't have any lags or stutters related to streaming like you do in Watch Dogs. The game is absolutely smooth with ultra textures, the only "downgrade" is 1 fps less. Also textures don't pop-in, and don't load too long. The game is installed on separate HDD though, so I don't know how the game will behave on the same drive where OS is installed.

So again it feels absolutely smooth with all textures swapping taking into account.

You are absolutely wrong. If you feel I am being too harsh or you feel like writing answer to me, please record videos, where you compare two settings. And send them to me. Don't upload them on youtube, cuz youtube distorts actual performance. Just send it via torrent to me.

If you feel I am too far-fetched I could make the same video comparisons and send you them via torrent.

Does anybody experiencing driver issues use SLI? Whenever I update my GeForce driver, SLI is always automatically disabled for me, and I have to manually re-enable it again.

Its been that way since SLI has existed. A bit beyond my knowhow, but there is a reason its disable when replacing the driver files. Nvidia should be able to see it was enabled and do a post install "switch" for you, but they don't. Just gotta remember to enable it when you redo it.

---------- Updated at 04:45 PM ----------

uh, its been widely reported and seen that the textures are having pop in and LOD issues since 1.04. Sorry, but you're the one who is "just wrong" And the mipmapbias can have a pretty severe performance hit when selecting ultra textures. So again....just wrong....

I have GTX 760 and 6-7 FPS more after installing this new driver. It contains fix for Kepler cards, which should improve FPS. I've tested it on the same countryside spot and look direction. Before new drivers 41 FPS, with new drivers 47-48 FPS. Playing with low shadows, medium foliage distance and ofc hairworks off. The rest is on high.

Strange, I was already playing at 60fps at 1080p (2 way sli GTX 770 4GB OC2), but I did notice the GPU usage in both cards reduced by almost 20% in the best scenarios. 10%-15% on average. That made it possible for me to enable hairworks and play it with 60fps but I personally prefer the normal hair (hoping for a way to enable monster-only hairworks).

Top Bottom