Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
So that mod fixes green quests too, quests within your recommended range? Cause that's what I'm having the biggest problem with, no XP from green quests. If that is the case, then how in the world did CDPR even let that happen. To have the game show a recommended level in the quest log, and in the code it's down as a completely different number. Just seems like the two would be tied together in some way, or someone would notice. But I'm no programmer, just seems trivial. Whatever, hope they officially get the fix out soon. It's embarrassing that the community fixed it before they did.

BTW I'm on PS4 so I can't actually try it myself.

Yep, it fixes the whole problem. And you are pretty much right: it seems quests currently have an upper limit for which xp is awarded that is much lower than 6 levels. Broken Roses quest will not ward XP over level 13 despite being a level 11 quest. As soon as you hit 14, no XP. This mod/patch sets the upper limit for ALL quests to 68. Thus resolving the problem. it can be rolled back by just replacing the 1 files that is modified with a backup copy.

Last edited:
It fixes the bug to certain extent. It gave me 120 xp for talking to Vespula (broken flowers quest) and it should gave me originally 150 xp. Nevertheless the game is playable now, so big thanks to the guy that did it!

Yep, it fixes the whole problem. And you are pretty much right: it seems quests currently have an upper limit for which xp is awarded that is much lower than 6 levels. Broken Roses quest will not ward XP over level 13 despite being a level 11 quest. As soon as you hit 14, no XP. This mod/patch sets the upper limit for ALL quests to 68. Thus resolving the problem. it can be rolled back by just replacing the 1 files that is modified with a backup copy.

I am on ps4, if you do not mind looking what is the upper limit on the Novigrad quest line like Get Junior. I suspect it is level 15.

So i am trying not to be to frustrated but paying 60 bucks for the game that first woulfwould not save or load and i lost over 2 hourd of gameplay and now i have spent over 20 hours on the game and i am still on level 1. Just completed the cemetary level which was 2 levels above me and i received 0 xp, i also get 0 xp for monster kills, etc.. it would have been a great game n0but i am so ticked off with it now that i dont k ow what to do about it

So i am trying not to be to frustrated but paying 60 bucks for the game that first woulfwould not save or load and i lost over 2 hourd of gameplay and now i have spent over 20 hours on the game and i am still on level 1. Just completed the cemetary level which was 2 levels above me and i received 0 xp, i also get 0 xp for monster kills, etc.. it would have been a great game n0but i am so ticked off with it now that i dont k ow what to do about it

if by cemetery level you mean the treasure hunt for the withcer gear, then those quests don't ever award xp. Also, for what I have read and experienced of this bug, it does not effect monster xp.

Cdp may love their customers, but they sure as hell having problems communicating with them. I understand how hard is that to make an tripple a game, i am ok with waiting for patches, but not having an ETA and going in denial saying things like "you can still play the game the xp bug is not a game breaking" really aint helping. Even if you choose to consider xp bug is something minor, there are other bugs that prevent people to progress with the main story or in my case - boosting the stats skyhigh so ive lost any interest so far.
Just give people solid facts, not an empty promises and everyone will feel better including yourself.

Geralt that iis exactly what should have been said. Good god they shld have postponed release date and there is no way they can tell me that they did not know about these issues prior to release

---------- Updated at 12:17 AM ----------

I also think we should be compensated for all of these issues such as the new levels coming out should have the price waives0d instead of 25 bucks as we have already had a serious waste of time and who is to say we wont have several issues with that

Cdp may love their customers, but they sure as hell having problems communicating with them. I understand how hard is that to make an tripple a game, i am ok with waiting for patches, but not having an ETA and going in denial saying things like "you can still play the game the xp bug is not a game breaking" really aint helping. Even if you choose to consider xp bug is something minor, there are other bugs that prevent people to progress with the main story or in my case - boosting the stats skyhigh so ive lost any interest so far.
Just give people solid facts, not an empty promises and everyone will feel better including yourself.

their communications with their customers have been constant and continual. They have updated us a few times about the ongoing work on the patch, however the problem is there are some customers who still and patiently wait for the devs to say or promise something and then leap like a 'raptor on them if they break their word. So I personally cant blame them for not always promising us things and setting particular time frames.

Even if that is the case there is the matter of the other 20 hours of wasting my time, thanks

---------- Updated at 12:21 AM ----------

Even if that is the case there is the matter of the other 20 hours of wasting my time, thanks

Geralt that iis exactly what should have been said. Good god they shld have postponed release date and there is no way they can tell me that they did not know about these issues prior to release

I also think we should be compensated for all of these issues such as the new levels coming out should have the price waives0d instead of 25 bucks as we have already had a serious waste of time and who is to say we wont have several issues with that

all computers game have issues, if you dont like waiting to get them solved, then perhaps you shouldn't buy games within the first month of launch. Even the best games ever made have had rocky launches and compared to most major launches this game has been rather tame in terms of massive issues (especially when compared to others in which even playing for everyone wasnt an option for weeks). As a person affected by a game breaking bug, I feel absolutely no need for them to give me anything. They have proved over the last ten years, they stand by their products and have respect for their customers. If i wanted a flawless gaming adventure I would have waited a month. Should the industry not work like that, sure, but world peace would also be nice, doesnt mean it will ever happen.

My nephew lives with me and has an Xbox One, who is also playing The Witcher. Since release we have been teasing and messing with each other about the negative effects each console has experienced. He only has/had patch 1.03 so he claims he wasn't affected by the xp bug. However, i just read and found out about this even bigger, much WORSE problem. He can't even play the game at all! Literally, he can't even launch it to play. Nothing...!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-isn-t-working-on-xbox-one-right-now/1100-6427800/

So this begs the question....WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING!?!?!? This has been a colossal fucking nightmare of a start for you guys. WOW...

Dude, it s on console and the amouhnt of money the programmers make to ja e two major system glitches so quickly is awful and should never happen. I understand minjor flitches happen and will continue to happen and if u r that much of a flake that brings wrld peace into a video game conversation i have serious issues

---------- Updated at 12:57 AM ----------

Hah shawnkng85 said it perfectly u have serious issues ghostlite wow!

Dude, it s on console and the amouhnt of money the programmers make to ja e two major system glitches so quickly is awful and should never happen. I understand minjor flitches happen and will continue to happen and if u r that much of a flake that brings wrld peace into a video game conversation i have serious issues

I understood about 30% of what you wrote. However if what you wrote is directed at me, great. Some of you are going to come out and say i'm whining, and i should have more patience and not bash CDPR. However, bashers, hatters and ones who will defend CDPR to the death should all at least be able to agree this has been a terrible start. Am i wrong? I'm not. The facts do not lie.

I truly feel bad for the players who paid for this game with it's current state. The people who maybe worked an overtime shift or picked up extra hours or maybe packed their lunch for a month instead of stopping at Mcdonald's on the way to work. CDPR should have delayed the game again, with all the current issues. I would have been fine with that to play a playable game

They definetly didnt know of these bugs. The game is massive, you could have 1000 ppl playtesting it (wich no one would ever have, but Im just using this as an example) and have none of these bugs happen to any of the testers. Theres probably around 2 mil ppl playing Witcher 3 around the world right now, only like 1-2% of those are experiencing these bugs. So you go to a forum and find 40000 ppl (2% of 2 million) complaining and it seens like the game is umplayable and buggy as hell.

Its the whole Blue Light of Death PS4 launch thing. Sony kept saying only 1% of the PS4s were faulty and ppl were going crazy because there were thausand of reports about it... well the PS4 sold 1 mil units in the firs week, there were 10000 ppl complaining, it makes it seen a lot worse than it actualy is.

Bottom line is, this game is perfectly playable. Hughe open world games have bugs that are impossible to detect during playtest, its always been like this, name the last open world game that was bug free. However most ppl play Witcher 3 whithout ever experiencing a major bug, some of the major bugs, like the XP one, you can live with, for the others you can either start a new game or chill and wait for the patch, it is comming. Besides the only bug that comes to my mind thats realy gamebreaking is the Pyres of Novigrad one.

CDP couldve delayed this game 10 years, itd still release with plenty of bugs, theres no way to find all of them in a game like this, someone somewhere will do something unexpected and cause the game to respond in a very incorrect maner, there are way too many variables in a game with the scope this one has.

My nephew lives with me and has an Xbox One, who is also playing The Witcher. Since release we have been teasing and messing with each other about the negative effects each console has experienced. He only has/had patch 1.03 so he claims he wasn't affected by the xp bug. However, i just read and found out about this even bigger, much WORSE problem. He can't even play the game at all! Literally, he can't even launch it to play. Nothing...!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-isn-t-working-on-xbox-one-right-now/1100-6427800/

So this begs the question....WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING!?!?!? This has been a colossal fucking nightmare of a start for you guys. WOW...

I might be wrong but I think this is a XBOXLive problem. Xbox reps said they were working on the issue, not once they even mentioned CDP. Aparently this was 100% a Microsoft fuck up unrelated to the game itself.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I think this is a XBOXLive problem. Xbox reps said they were working on the issue, not once they even mentioned CDP. Aparently this was 100% a Microsoft fuck up unrelated to the game itself.

You could be right, and it could just be a Microsoft thing, but what else could go wrong for them now? You say the game is playable, i disagree. To each their own. Both consoles, regardless of fault...are affected

They definetly didnt know of these bugs. The game is massive, you could have 1000 ppl playtesting it (wich no one would ever have, but Im just using this as an example) and have none of these bugs happen to any of the testers. Theres probably around 2 mil ppl playing Witcher 3 around the world right now, only like 1-2% of those are experiencing these bugs. So you go to a forum and find 40000 ppl (2% of 2 million) complaining and it seens like the game is umplayable and buggy as hell.

Its the whole Blue Light of Death PS4 launch thing. Sony kept saying only 1% of the PS4s were faulty and ppl were going crazy because there were thausand of reports about it... well the PS4 sold 1 mil units in the firs week, there were 10000 ppl complaining, it makes it seen a lot worse than it actualy is.

Bottom line is, this game is perfectly playable. Hughe open world games have bugs that are impossible to detect during playtest, its always been like this, name the last open world game that was bug free. However most ppl play Witcher 3 whithout ever experiencing a major bug, some of the major bugs, like the XP one, you can live with, for the others you can either start a new game or chill and wait for the patch, it is comming. Besides the only bug that comes to my mind thats realy gamebreaking is the Pyres of Novigrad one.

CDP couldve delayed this game 10 years, itd still release with plenty of bugs, theres no way to find all of them in a game like this, someone somewhere will do something unexpected and cause the game to respond in a very incorrect maner, there are way too many variables in a game with the scope this one has.

I agree that in a game of this scope there are likely to be some bugs that slip through the net, I was fully expecting that but I just can't agree with you when you say the game is perfectly playable. It just isn't, I can't gain experience from the main quest line - that's bad, very bad. When I enter combat the framerate often chugs so badly it turns into a slideshow, especially if there are any weather effects, (yes I'm playing ps4), it's awful man, completely ruins the immersion and the strategy of the combat.

Many open world games have bugs at launch, but that still doesn't excuse what is going on with the Witcher 3.

I'm a lifelong gamer, PC, console, everything, I was playing the original fallout, wasteland, baldurs gate etc and this is the first time ever that I feel I've paid 60 bucks to basically finish beta testing a game.

I bought this game as soon as it was available for pre order to support this developer, now I'm a patient and realistic person but after all the delays prior to release and then after release, to have bugs as severe as those mentioned + the horrible framerate issues and camera stutter, that is just unacceptable to me - and a host of other people it seems.

Last edited:
Guys, if you're playing on pc, there's a workaround for the exp "bug" on nexus, Modders discovered that quests are bounded to lvl, example :

Let's get the Broken Flowers quest ( and let's say its bound to give you rewards only if you are lvl 13 or below ), if you try to do it lvl 14, 15, and so on, you'll not be rewarded at all. That beign said, there's a file on nexus that change the level requirement to get rewards on quests to lvl 68.

Here's a image example: http://scr.hu/28ua/j5kg1
@edit forgot the link to the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/119/?

Sux that they need a week or more to hotfix this , but atleast we have modders at our side ( pc ). (Not bashing console players, i do have consoles too).

Obs: English is not my native language at all, so, i can be a grammar nazi sometimes, sry. As always, remember to enjoy the game.

Peace =)
Thx!

Guys, if you're playing on pc, there's a workaround for the exp "bug" on nexus, Modders discovered that quests are bounded to lvl, example :

Let's get the Broken Flowers quest ( and let's say its bound to give you rewards only if you are lvl 13 or below ), if you try to do it lvl 14, 15, and so on, you'll not be rewarded at all. That beign said, there's a file on nexus that change the level requirement to get rewards on quests to lvl 68.

Here's a image example: http://scr.hu/28ua/j5kg1
@edit forgot the link to the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/119/?

Sux that they need a week or more to hotfix this , but atleast we have modders at our side ( pc ). (Not bashing console players, i do have consoles too).

Obs: English is not my native language at all, so, i can be a grammar nazi sometimes, sry. As always, remember to enjoy the game.

Peace =)

Okay so let me apply this to my situation. And correct me if i'm wrong. I do not know if i have the XP bug, but people said i have.

The Broken Flowers quest i did not give me any XP what so ever. I am level 14. The quest is green.
So i did the Fencing Lessons afterwards. That quest did give me 20xp.

Currently playing on the PS4. So for once and for all. Do i have the XP bug or not? :) Thanks for the help guys.

Okay so let me apply this to my situation. And correct me if i'm wrong. I do not know if i have the XP bug, but people said i have.

The Broken Flowers quest i did not give me any XP what so ever. I am level 14. The quest is green.
So i did the Fencing Lessons afterwards. That quest did give me 20xp.

Currently playing on the PS4. So for once and for all. Do i have the XP bug or not? :) Thanks for the help guys.

I dont think it is a bug someone has or not, its more a problem where quests are coded to give XP only till a certain lv, Ive noticed that almost every story quest dont give me XP if Im 4lvs higher than recomended or more, as the guy you linked showed the quests are codded to only give XP till a certain lv. In fact theres been cases where I was gaining XP for quests normaly until I leveled and them the quest stopped giving me XP. As long as you dont overlevel story quests too much its k, so basicaly focus story over other stuf and do the side content later Id say

I never not gained XP for minor sidequests Im elegible to gain XP from, but the bigger ones (related to the main plot, like triss one etc), there have been cases where I didnt get any XP and in this cases I was always at least 4 lv above the recomended.

Green Quests should give EXP.

So yes, it is a bug. And it will be fixed according to CDPR. The question is when...

I'will use this mod till it is released.

Top Bottom