A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong here guys. Injector presets are fine. I'm not trying to diminish their value or anything. They're great for people who like that.

What I meant was(and it's just my own opinion): Both SFX, and ReShade have their own designated places for uploading those preset config files. Nexus used to be for game-specific modifications. I then proceed to have a look at the current listed mods for a given title. And I get sweetfx/reshade profiles polluting most of the results.

I simply remarked on how I personally found it annoying.

Also - anyone who knows me obv won't think I'm against this sort of thing(injectors/post-processing), in general. If you're familar with my own stuff. I've done the post-processing frameworks for several emulators, and injectors. I've also done multiple post-processing effect suites for various things. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of my own shader code is also used in those Reshade effects suites, and I've no problem with it. So I'm obviously not against it lol.

Just thought I'd clear that up, before more come looking for my head ;p

----
#edit @Black_Iris

Relax, man. You know somebody takes things too seriously when they start whipping out the dictionary-statements ;p

Last edited:
Jeez, it was just an observation. I didn't see anyone bashing presets or their makers, and I certainly didn't.

Like Asmodean just said, it was just our opinion on what we expect to see from a Nexus mod page. Nothing against injectors.

definitely i dont care about SFX are in nexus or not but for CJ for exemple its better if people go to hes own website
...and reconize hes work..
(the same for boris and hes ENB for exemple)...

i just want essenthy release he's weather.csv.... its all i care so i stay here and wait and talking about
something or other

Asmodean778;1764221 ---- #edit @[URL="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=3831048" said:
Black_Iris[/URL]

Relax, man. You know somebody takes things too seriously when they start whipping out the dictionary-statements ;p

I'm perfectly relaxed. I'm just telling you that it's happening simply because there's nothing to put in there. For now the only thing you can put are presets. You say 9/10 are presets. Ok. Did you count how many mods there are that aren't presets? Do it. They are at most 20, all of them very simple things. Apart changing graphics with a preset that's nothing else to put in there, for this people put presets. And the proof that there's obviously nothing of concrete to put is the fact that a preset (and neither so good to boot) is either number 1 with more than 900 endorsments. This would never happen in case there were some mods of substance pertaining more closely to the game.

It just like in every other field. When the offer is scarce other things that are less related take the place of the usual content. It's natural. If you have an honda only shop and honda doesn't make new cars from 3 years you can rest assured that some car that's not honda will appear in the shop. It's just natural.

This is what I'm trying to make you understand but, as it is always the case in this forum, everytime you try to make a logical point nobody cares about the content, they just care only if the other is saying what they want to hear or not. Reply to the content of what I write, not on my "relaxing" or "taking it too seriously". Those two things mean nothing at all on a debate.

Last edited:
Just wait till REDkit for W3 comes out. People will go bananas and recreate W3 in a brand new light like they did with Skyrim

---------- Updated at 08:51 PM ----------

Also I should mention that Black_Iris is right in that presets are technically mods. Anything that tampers with the original game is a mod. People put their precious time and effort to make such presets so we should at least appreciate it. I get it that there could be pro-modders out there who'd look past this as child's play but not everyone can reach that level but try what they can. Having said that, there are some presets/mods that are almost useless and yeah those mods just pile up on Nexus.

And that's why we have a great sorting and rating system on Nexus to sort out the brilliant mods from the fillers.

---------- Updated at 08:54 PM ----------

Back on topic. So is there any way at all to improve the water quality in W3? It looks like blue jelly ATM.

@berserker66666 Asmodean said you can change WaterGeometryQuality= to 8(6 is default). It still looks like jelly to me though.On the mod discussion I completely agree with Asmodean, you said low level tweakers should do what they can but why exactly should they? A lot of the mods on the site you have to download and they just replace your user.settings or input.settings files, those kind of small tweaks should be(they are) documented here or in guides. Or at least just explained on the mod page, forcing people to download them to me just appears that the 'authors' looking for user downloads or in the best case they're helping less experienced tweakers but that's a double edged blade as their user.settings file will be overwritten with who knows what. And for sweetfx profiles you should put those on the official site because it has that image sliding preview function which benefits users. When I see mods like this I can only think of vanity, it's not even like these authors made the 'mod' as they're just changing bools in notepad that they made or may not have read on a techy forum. Anyone can do tweaks like these and it's often just a copy/paste job, there's no reason to download small text files. To me the mods that should be uploaded should be things that not everyone can do and require a download. Less files to go through and more quality modding. Not taking anything away from tweakers or preset makers but there are better places to host knowledge like that. This discussion reminds me a lot of other language translated Skyrim mods, those were so annoying lol.

---------- Updated at 10:02 PM ----------

I had that formatted but it came out looking like this, and I can't seem to edit it. Is anyone else having trouble with these forums?

@Saorise re the WaterGeometryQuality. I actually tested it since then, and found that 10(meaning that after 10, I literally noticed zero difference) seems to be the highend value for that. It's pretty difficult to accurately test, because of the nature of the water, with it being very dynamic. But it does seem to increase the water surface quality a little bit. But nothing major.

The game is super snobby when it comes to it's own cvars. It seems to sometimes do what it likes, regardless of what you set some stuff lol.

Sorry, I simply forget about even mentioning half the stuff I do, and I then don't update the info.

ps - I also agree with the rest of your statement.

@Asmodean778 I'll try 10 and see if I notice anything, thanks. Someone else also mentioned the GlobalOceanTesselationFactor= setting being doubled from the default ultra value of 64 but I found that to make the water worse than at 64. Did you try that one at all?

@Asmodean778 I'll try 10 and see if I notice anything, thanks. Someone else also mentioned the GlobalOceanTesselationFactor= setting being doubled from the default ultra value of 64 but I found that to make the water worse than at 64. Did you try that one at all?

I didn't bother try the tesselation factor on the water surface, tbh. I could already tell that after 64 tesselation samples there'd be super diminishing returns, for whatever it cost performance wise, and I didn't think it would be worth it. Unless you've got some beastial system, or something.

One of the cvars that I'm most curious about is

[Physics]
MimicsQuality

I've it set to 100, as a pure test. Apparantly(from looking at various "mimics"-related info from the exe, it's related to animations. But It's very difficult to test if it's actually doing anything.

Last edited:
@Asmodean778 Maybe it is related to the very strange animation culling that you can see if you use the free cam. That is the only animation related thing that could use improvement so maybe there is a function for that somewhere in the engine.

Been playing around with tweaking the environment lighting(essenthy, and myself have been sharing info). Can get it working(so far without issue) for all places, except Skellige. Well, I can technically get it working for Skellige, but you need to remove a weather condition to keep the file under a certain size. Else it just produces size offset error crap when trying to repack.

Think I've found a nice balance. blending the cutscene light model with the location default ones. Still need a better/safer repacking solution, though.

Some random screens with the cutscene environment lighting blended(interpolated) with the original lighting, below =)

Click images for full size (Flickr)
https://flic.kr/p/u5ZtTU
https://flic.kr/p/unzq1K
https://flic.kr/p/ukfdYq

For clarity: In these shots, I've only modified the environment lighting model used. I've not modified any weather sets or such, nor am I using any external injection, etc. purely in-game only.

Last edited:
@Asmodean778 I think you guys should release the buggy mod first off, I'd use it! I haven't even played the game since I saw essenthy say it was mostly finished and I'm still far from Skellege. What happens when you do go to Skellege though and what weather condition would you have to remove to get it working perfectly? What specific differences between your interpolated method are there from the full but buggy method?

i use a blended méthod to 80/20 but am waiting fo the essenthy release iam also work in the sfx preset for work with cutscene light

but is realy not ready yet ,to much sharpen and grain and other stuff ,far to be ready and need to be change when essenthy release :

u think we can mix 2 .env ?

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-06-09 04-29-24.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-09 04-29-24.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 110
Not sure if this been posted yet but i did a tweak in my user ini setting as below :

[Budget]
DecalBudget=200
MaxMeshTrianglesCount=4000000
MaxMeshChunksCount=1000
MaxEmittersCount=200
MaxParticlesCount=30000
MaxParticleMeshChunksCount=100
MaxParticleTriangleCount=6000
VisibleObjectsBudget=1500

Got the setting from bin\config\platform\pc\rendering.ini and paste it in my user.setting file.
I doubled every value for above and got better smoke,fog etc... Can anyone confirm on this? Afraid its a placebo effect on my end heh.

If you're worried that you're just imagining differences, take screenshots with the settings on, and with them off.

Thank you very much for the tip, tahirahmed, but this tweak has been a mainstay of the OP for quite some time now! It really has improved framerates for everyone that has tried it, at least on a Kepler GPU, but it can't hurt to try it on a Maxwell one either!

You mean this has been posted before ? if so I am sorry about the re post, I just noticed this on WCCFTech and Youtube so I thought it should be posted here and yes I can confirm that it really helps on Maxwell GPUs too, despite SLI 980s I had some weird drops in Novigrad but after forcing PhysX to CPU in Nvidia Control Panel, everything is very smooth in Novigrad though I saw my CPU utilization increasing greatly, even reaching 100% in some populated areas so I just overclocked my CPU to cope up with the new task ;)

I didn't bother try the tesselation factor on the water surface, tbh. I could already tell that after 64 tesselation samples there'd be super diminishing returns, for whatever it cost performance wise, and I didn't think it would be worth it. Unless you've got some beastial system, or something.

Have you seen my thread about waves?
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...014-Trailer-Storm-waves?p=1762823#post1762823
if you set global tesalation higher from original 64 to 128 or 256(I't s enough for high waves when it's stormy) it does look nice.

(I like big waves so i changed some other things)

Actually what was eating my fps is -max speed tree time allowed
-set it to 0.02 instead 2.2
You'll still have swaying trees close, but looking in distance trees are barely moving -( looks more natural and more friendly to rig)
Now to look more in distance you must disable allow fog in rendering ini (where is game installed)
I don't think speed is placebo effect. I' get 6 fps more in my testing so far,
of course there is also -max speed grass allowed -(think it's 1.5 original setting)
didn't yet check those. I'll try today

f you set global tesalation higher from original 64 to 128 or 256(I't s enough for high waves when it's stormy) it does look nice.
Confirming the higher you set ,the greater the waves are(i set mine 512) and also WaterGeometryQuality=10. In my case i don't see the fps hit all are speaking, and i have a gtx 760. When i'm in water i have 40 fps, and the cutscene lighting made the water even prettier.

---------- Updated at 07:40 AM ----------

Been playing around with tweaking the environment lighting(essenthy, and myself have been sharing info). Can get it working(so far without issue) for all places, except Skellige. Well, I can technically get it working for Skellige, but you need to remove a weather condition to keep the file under a certain size. Else it just produces size offset error crap when trying to repack.

Think I've found a nice balance. blending the cutscene light model with the location default ones. Still need a better/safer repacking solution, though.

Some random screens with the cutscene environment lighting blended(interpolated) with the original lighting, below =)

Click images for full size (Flickr)

For clarity: In these shots, I've only modified the environment lighting model used. I've not modified any weather sets or such, nor am I using any external injection, etc. purely in-game only.

KnG, the guy that stole the idea from essenty, made the cutscene lighting working for all zones in his second release. You could steal his mod, and look into it to make yours better:p

Have you seen my thread about waves?
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...014-Trailer-Storm-waves?p=1762823#post1762823
if you set global tesalation higher from original 64 to 128 or 256(I't s enough for high waves when it's stormy) it does look nice.

(I like big waves so i changed some other things)

Actually what was eating my fps is -max speed tree time allowed
-set it to 0.02 instead 2.2
You'll still have swaying trees close, but looking in distance trees are barely moving -( looks more natural and more friendly to rig)
Now to look more in distance you must disable allow fog in rendering ini (where is game installed)
I don't think speed is placebo effect. I' get 6 fps more in my testing so far,
of course there is also -max speed grass allowed -(think it's 1.5 original setting)
didn't yet check those. I'll try today
What parameter do I change in rendering.ini to diable fog?

KnG, the guy that stole the idea from essenty, made the cutscene lighting working for all zones in his second release. You could steal his mod, and look into it to make yours better:p

It would work also for him. He just doesn't want to force the table in the reimporting, but, alas, without forcing there's no way to reimport back as the file obviously is larger (the only way is to remove something else).

It is quite unknown the impact of a forceful reimport in the bundles atm. It could screw things up permanently as just causing some little glitches and nothing more. The mod of KNG doesn't either pose the problem as ALL tables are forcefully reimported (since larger).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom