Extremely High Cpu Usage in Town

+
Extremely High Cpu Usage in Town

Hi, in addiction to performance issues with gtx 600-700 series (like my gtx 770), with the latest update (1.03) the game pushes my cpu to 90-100%, and it is an intel core i5 4690k, so it's not that old. I'm pretty sure this is not normal because it drops a bunch of frames, even setting everything to minimum except resolution. I hope to get a fix, because the game is almost unplayable with all that stuttering. Thanks in advance for any help.

The game also pushes my CPU to 100%, I've never seen such usage and temps while gaming, only when running Intel Burn Test. I ordered some MX2 to hopefully cut off 5c or so.

i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz (previously 4.5GHz).

Its the nividia driver, all of the 700 and 600 series drivers are screwed nividia is fixing it and going to release a new driver soon google it

I hope that this CPU problem is related to nvidia drivers, so we've just to wait for their fix. I've also seen there's no point in oc'ing the chip, it's the same.

---------- Updated at 02:14 PM ----------

I also tried using 347.88 drivers: performance was still a crap, but sometimes i get 5 or 10 frames more. In other occasione it's just worse.

The game also pushes my CPU to 100%, I've never seen such usage and temps while gaming, only when running Intel Burn Test. I ordered some MX2 to hopefully cut off 5c or so.

Yep my cpu 100% all the 8 cores none stop, i am afraid to go to novigrad my cpu might melt seriously

i just noticed this too thanks to xplit program, the cpu usage goes to 60 and so on to 100 whats going on here ? this thing is gonna toast my computer lol.

---------- Updated at 06:50 PM ----------

Its the nividia driver, all of the 700 and 600 series drivers are screwed nividia is fixing it and going to release a new driver soon google it

well since you have that info, would you mind linking me?

---------- Updated at 06:51 PM ----------

well since you have that info, would you mind linking me?

---------- Updated at 09:05 PM ----------

btw the high cpu usage is not only on town its outside towns as well, and ive tried many configurations on graphics to lower the cpu usage it always remain on high usage say 70-80 and even 100 , not constantly 100 but it reaches that high, im running the game on a gtx 750 ti oc 2gb asus, i5 4590 3.3ghz cpu and 8gb memmory ram. its true my graphic card is not ultimate stuff but it runs the game on high quite perfect with some tweeks like no nvidia hairwork, no bloom, blur , and some other things on medium to low.

I got gtx 970 and i5-4690k at 3.5 ghz and I also got 95-100% usage in town, specially when I walk into restaurants or when I go to the middle of novigrad town where there's alot of sellers.
Outside of town like in velen I got like 60-70% usage
^ high settings without hairworks

It's not the NVidia driver. The game is just CPU intensive in certain areas, especially Novigrad due to the large amount of NPCs and the density. All you guys have one thing in common. Your CPU lacks hyperthreading. This is where having a hyperthreaded CPU would have made a big difference in performance, and usage. Look at this graph:

The hyperthreaded CPUs have a humongous lead over the non hyperthreaded CPUs in Novigrad!

What you don't realize is that because of the very high CPU load (which is just saying that the game has a properly coded engine CPU wise... unlike 99% other games out there), you are playing at a good, nice framerate.

If your CPU would idle on 7 cores and just be hammered on one, as it is so often the case, your GPU utilization would significantly drop and you will have shit fps.

Better just get a good PSU and cooling and be happy that finally a game is able to utilize CPUs properly.

Exactly right t0yz. I have an i7-920 from 2008 that is roughly equivalent to an i3-4330 in terms of sheer computing power.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=834&cmp[]=2025

My single thread performance is about half the performance of the 4330, but CDPR's optimization of all cores allows me to stay at a smooth 60FPS at 1080p. The game pushes my GTX 970 harder than it does the CPU. Meanwhile, shitty unoptimized games running on single thread make me consider upgrading my CPU.

funny or not....6 patch and can't play this game for fk crazy fps drop...

ps idk if they fix physx clothing for series 900....ofc is better for gpu to render clothing and leave cpu other think...(so less cpu usage%)

imho

Last edited:
Better just get a good PSU and cooling and be happy that finally a game is able to utilize CPUs properly.

That would explain why my psu just died last week :D I have i5 4690K and gtx 970. I also am using noctua cooler for my cpu. Last week my 650 cosair psu just died. I have it only like 8 months :'(. Do you think that Witcher could kill my psu? Now I bought corsair cx750. I hope it will survive a little bit longer. I was planning to buy another gpu just for Wicher. But now Im thinking about some i7 cpu.

Exactly right t0yz. I have an i7-920 from 2008 that is roughly equivalent to an i3-4330 in terms of sheer computing power.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=834&cmp[]=2025

My single thread performance is about half the performance of the 4330, but CDPR's optimization of all cores allows me to stay at a smooth 60FPS at 1080p. The game pushes my GTX 970 harder than it does the CPU. Meanwhile, shitty unoptimized games running on single thread make me consider upgrading my CPU.

I know exactly what you mean, I have an FX 8350/GTX 970. The crap that runs on 1-2 cores (like MMOs for example, WoW, Wildstar...) runs quite badly. The GPU drops as low as 20% utilization with huge framerate impact, like, I can go to 10 fps in a huge raid in WoW just because of the CPU core being unable to process so much info fast enough, while in same zone I can get 140 fps if no NPCs/players around doign stuff, putting stress on the CPU.

Having Witcher 3 being able to ramp up on all CPU cores as the situation demands it (cities with lots of NPCs) is a blessing, I can maintain 45+ fps with almost everything on Ultra@1080p.

That would explain why my psu just died last week :D I have i5 4690K and gtx 970

Well, you should try and get a certified PSU, try for at least Silver, although there are some cheap-ish Gold PSUs around. If both your GPU and CPU do so much work at the same time like it happens in W3, it will put a lot of stress on the PSU and if they're cheap and blow up is not really a surprise. And it's not W3 that killed your PSU, it's the CPU and the GPU :p You cannot expect games to not stress your hardware, they're supposed to.

Also, wish you good luck with the Corsair CX: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review

It got a "failed" rating and "no reason to buy one whatsoever".

Basically expected as it's just a cheap Chinese PSU rebranded&sold as Corsair, but nowhere near their usual QC standards.

almost every game i know of maxes the cpu at some point. dunno what planet you people are living on.

oh, the planet where cpus burn and motherboards go up in smoke, apparently.

novigrad: 3570k (non-oc) + hd 7870 ghz ed. (unless you have a card 75% more powerful, it's hard for me to imagine your situation, but in that case, get a new cpu). unless it is some odd nvidia thing, but nobody has posted any evidence as such :\

Attachments

• 3570k-7870.jpg
    3570k-7870.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Top Bottom