Alternate Look for Ciri was on Xbox Live ( Now gone?l)

+
Where did I say that she should look like a professional soldier ???

Well, in the picture you linked she doesn't exactly look like someone on the run, is she? It's something a professional fighter/soldier/whateveryouwanttocallit would wear. It completely contradicts her story and her character.

Well, in the picture you linked she doesn't exactly look like someone on the run, is she? It's something a professional fighter/soldier/whateveryouwanttocallit would wear. It completely contradicts her story and her character.
Why can someone on the run can't have a good and especially purposeful outfit? That doesn't contradict her story at all. On the opposite, a good outfit that is durable, lightweight and still protective is key when you're out in the wild and have to hide. Every sane person would want to maximize the functionality of one's outfit in such a sitution. Only a fool would prefer a nice and expensive looking shirt to more functional clothes or even armor if you can get one.

And contradicting her character? I don't see that. She wants to be like a witcher. So wearing a witcher-like outfit fits her character almost perfectly...

Why can someone on the run can't have a good and especially purposeful outfit? That doesn't contradict her story at all. On the opposite, a good outfit that is durable, lightweight and still protective is key when you're out in the wild and have to hide. Every sane person would want to maximize the functionality of one's outfit in such a sitution. Only a fool would prefer a nice and expensive looking shirt to more functional clothes or even armor if you can get one.

And contradicting her character? I don't see that. She wants to be like a witcher. So wearing a witcher-like outfit fits her character almost perfectly...

She tells herself that the longest time she's been in one place was six months in Cyberpunk's world. And i doubt they had any leather armor there. She jumps from one world to another, she doesn't have any money, or anything else of value. Where would she get a set of armor? Keep in mind, it would've had to be made specifically for her. Also do you realise how long it would take something like in your picture to take it on and off? When you're on the run, the last thing you want is to be killed because you need half an hour to put your stuff on. When you know you're know your going into battle, then yes you'd probably want something similar, but when you try to avoid one, why on earth you'd wear something that will only slow you down?

And a "witcher-like" outfit would be a leather jacket, since that's Geralt preferred "armor" of choice. Canon one, at least.

Last edited:
Just found this awesome art, I'll have to search for the source so I can credit them:

That armor on her is bad ass this please.

She tells herself that the longest time she's been in one place was six months in Cyberpunk's world. And i doubt they had any leather armor there.
She could have gotten this amour pretty much anywhere.

She jumps from one world to another, she doesn't have any money, or anything else of value.
You have no idea whether she had any money. We don't even know how she lived. All I can say is that the stuff she wears in the game doesn't exactly look like a poor woman's outfit neither...

Where would she get a set of armor? Keep in mind, it would've had to be made specifically for her. Also do you realise how long it would take something like in your picture to take it on and off? When you're on the run, the last thing you want is to be killed because you need half an hour to put your stuff on.
I think you misunderstood what means on the run here. She tries to avoid the Wild Hunt, not the Gestapo. And she still has to live day by day and get along which is probably hard enough already.

When you know you're know your going into battle, then yes you'd probably want something similar, but when you try to avoid one, why on earth you'd wear something that will only slow you down?
To be prepared is never a bad idea and Ciri knows that. Of course she wants to avoid battle but if she had to fight she'd like to be prepared in the best possible way. And that's not only applying to the Hunt. Ciri knows that the world is a bad place and that there are dangers and bad people everywhere. A protective and functional outfit isn't just a good idea to survive in a battle vs the Hunt but also to just survive the next day in this world. You remember how the first Ciri passage in the game starts? With Ciri fighting against wolves. A sane person would like to wear protective clothes while being in the wild with wild monsters, bandits and generally al ot of dangers everywhere. You can of course argue with a "faster switchable" protective outfit but it's still a lot better than the fancy clothes Ciri wears in the game...

And a "witcher-like" outfit would be a leather jacker, since that's Geralt preferred "armor" of choice. Canon one, at least.
In the books, but obviously not in the game...

---------- Updated at 02:55 PM ----------

That armor on her is bad ass this please.

That's just a (bad) copy of Geralt's starting armor...

Last edited:

You have no idea whether she had any money. We don't even know how she lived. All I can say is that the stuff she wears in the game doesn't exactly look like a poor woman's outfit neither...

I think you misunderstood what means on the run here. She tries to avoid the Wild Hunt, not the Gestapo. And she still has to live day by day and get along which is probably hard enough already.

To be prepared is never a bad idea and Ciri knows that. Of course she wants to avoid battle but if she had to fight she'd like to be prepared in the best possible way. And that's not only applying to the Hunt. Ciri knows that the world is a bad place and that there are dangers and bad people everywhere. A protective and functional outfit isn't just a good idea to survive in a battle vs the Hunt but also to just survive the next day in this world. You remember how the first Ciri passage in the game starts? With Ciri fighting against wolves. A sane person would like to wear protective clothes while being in the wild with wild monsters, bandits and generally al ot of dangers everywhere. You can of course argue with a "faster switchable" protective outfit but it's still a lot better than the fancy clothes Ciri wears in the game...

---------- Updated at 02:55 PM ----------

That's just a (bad) copy of Geralt's starting armor...

That might be but it's worlds better then that lazy belly armor shit

That's not an argument. :) I can then just say that she couldn't find a good armor in her travels. Who is to say who's right? :)

Leather trousers, white shirt, boots and gloves? Hardly an expensive items. And yes, we don't know. But CDPR does, and she has the outfit she has, and not super expensive professional armor.

Well, considoring Wild Hunt can detect wherever she teleports too, and instantly teleport themselves to that point, i'd say they even worse than gestapo, are they? :)

So why then Geralt, someone who earns his living by killing monsters, made a conscious choice to not wear any armor?

Yes, the games would've been awfully dull if all you had in terms of clothing is just one leather jacket.

Last edited:
That's not an argument. :) I can then just say that she couldn't find a good armor in her travels. Who is to say who's right? :)
May I remind you that YOU were the one who said that I was wrong?

Leather trousers, white shirt, boots and gloves? Hardly an expensive items. And yes, we don't know. But CDPR does, and she has the outfit she has, and not super expensive professional armor.
A good leather armor is hardly super expensive. And just look at her belt. That's fancy and looks expensive.

Well, considoring Wild Hunt can detect wherever she teleports too, and instantly teleport themselves to that point, i'd say they even worse than gestapo, are they? :)
Nope. Because if you don't teleport they have little chance to find you. Gestapo could find you pretty much everywhere no matter if you teleport or not. ;)

So why then Geralt, someone who earns his living by killing monsters, made a conscious choice to not wear any armor?
Boot lore =/= game lore

Geralt wears armor in the game. So there is little point why Ciri shouldn't wear armor as well. ;)

And in the books Geralt's wears at least leather to protect himself from the wilderness. Ciri only wears a simple linen or wool shirt in the game...

A good leather armor is hardly super expensive. And just look at her belt. That's fancy and looks expensive.

Nope. Because if you don't teleport they have little chance to find you. Gestapo could find you pretty much everywhere no matter if you teleport or not. ;)

Boot lore =/= game lore

Geralt wears armor in the game. So there is little point why Ciri shouldn't wear armor as well. ;)

And in the books Geralt's wears at least leather to protect himself from the wilderness. Ciri only wears a simple linen or wool shirt in the game...
We also have to consider the fact the Ciri is female, how many armourers have armours in stock that can fit Ciri's build while still allowing her to maintain her agility? She'd need to have custom armour made and how many armours would prioritize making custom armour over their usual order. It'd probably take a great deal of coin to get decent armour made for her quickly, since she's always on the run.

We also have to consider the fact the Ciri is female, how many armourers have armours in stock that can fit Ciri's build while still allowing her to maintain her agility? She'd need to have custom armour made and how many armours would prioritize making custom armour over their usual order. It'd probably take a great deal of coin to get decent armour made for her quickly, since she's always on the run.

To be honest, I would be happy already if she would just wear leather instead of linen. And if she doesn't show off her belly for no reason... ;)

To be honest, I would be happy already if she would just wear leather instead of linen. And if she doesn't show off her belly for no reason... ;)
She'd still have to get custom leather armour, which takes time. I don't really mind the open-belly, it kind of fits of the Zerrikanian look.

Yes, but my assumption at least is based on a logical conclusion that if you are constantly on the run from someone, you don't have much time to earn money, or to worry about armor. Usually it's simplar things, like finding something to eat, a bed to sleep in and a good shower.

Expensive enough, considoring it would've had to be custom made. As for the belt, maybe it's just a chinese knock off? :) Or maybe it was a gift from Avallach?

If it was that easy, then she wouldn't have had to run, would she?

Boot lore =/= game lore

The thing is that Geralt is the players character. Whatever agency he has, it comes from you. It doesn't matter what he wears, the only purpose for Geralt's armor in the game is aesthetical, you wear whatever you think looks best, more or less. Where's for other characters what they wear is more than that, it also has to represent them. Here's a comment a quoted here before, but it tells what i mean much better then i am.

Of course Ciri's outfit is sexualized, idealized and symbolic. In every videogame ever the devs must make a choice whether they showcase their characters in a realistic or idealized fashion (males AND females!), and usually find a characteristic middle ground in serious games (at least in the west, Asian games tend to be kinda silly). Also, limited ressources lead to each character usually being depicted in a single set of clothes that has to work in each situation (just ask some Skyrim modders how hard it is to create detailed, beautiful and non-clipping outfits comparable to what Ciri wears. I expect several full workdays of a skilled professional for such an outfit).

In full realism mode, Ciri would carry around several bags with personal belongings, would wear rather ragged, unfitting clothes due to being on the run, would probably have lousy hair, bad teeth, smell of sweat, dirt and blood. I exaggerate, but especially in a medieval setting, personal hygiene is hard to come by, and her fate during the last months/years certainly should make her look more like a Syrian refugee than the semi-model she appears ingame.

Instead, Ciri's outfit symbolizes the following things:
- It's a traveller outfit, not a combat suit. Ciri was ever on the run until she reunited with Geralt,Yen & the rest. Only then direct combat/fighting back truly became an option.
- She still cares for her look, hasn't given up herself, is still more than just a desperate fugitive. The wild hunt hasn't broken her yet.
- She is supposed to be relatively attractive. To be perceived as such next to Yen and Triss by players, she can't wear rags.
- She survived by blending into crowds, not by drawing attention and looking threatening (and full military gear on a young women draws attention!)

So to sum it up: She has one iconic outfit due to budget restrictions, and it first and foremost has to tell us things about her. Being plausible in every situation is secondary.

I also heard on several occasions (e.g. from Youtube channels about historic weapons such as scolagladiatoria, Lyndybeige and others) that leather armor is vastly overrated in video games compared to it's historical role. A leather jacket thin/flexible enough for daily use offers almost no protection.
Chainmail instead was awesome against everything but blunt damage and very advanced, well aimed projectiles. Nothing metal-free ever came close. Padded armor was decent if it was several centimeters thick, but then it was exactly as clumsy and impractical as chainmail. Knights in real combat combined both, but they didn't wear this combo every day. Roman soldiers had to be forced to always wear their mail, and often didn't in the late ancient period when discipline bagan to drop.

So IMHO, the first time Ciri would have sensibly considered changing into light chain and some padding underneath (IMO the best combo for an agile swordfighter) would be the battle of Kaer Morhen. But there's no shop or real blacksmith there, and we can't expect that there's a fitting armor lying around. Also, the plan was to keep her out of combat.
This leaves the battle preparations in Novigrad as first real chance for her to aquire a proper combat suit. It would have been awesome if they had replaced her blouse with chain instead of the fur collar, but well, they had their reasons I guess.

I'm fine with the design. I just wish they let her hair down like in her in-game sketch or fixed her eye make-up. :p

Zerrikanians live in the desert though... ;)
The Wonders of Zerrikania says that their are women clad in leopard skins with tattoos all over their body. For the author to make such a claim he'd have to see their arms. legs and maybe torso. What I got from that book is that those vicious Zerrikanian warriors used the leopard skins to cover their breasts and crotch, so I assume that plenty of their body is bare.

The Wonders of Zerrikania says that their are women clad in leopard skins with tattoos all over their body. For the author to make such a claim he'd have to see their arms. legs and maybe torso. What I got from that book is that those vicious Zerrikanian warriors used the leopard skins to cover their breasts and crotch, so I assume that plenty of their body is bare.

That's true. That's also openly stated in the Last Wish. They still live in the desert or at least in a very warm environment though. ;)

Top Bottom