Hairstyles Critique

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also prefer vanilla tech over Hairworks. Harworks, to me, look too much "silky", unnatural.
Semi transparent grey/white coloured strands of paper around 1CM in diameter are more natural?

---------- Updated at 10:04 PM ----------

I actually prefer CDPR's tech over Hairworks. Geralt with Hairworks just looks like he has noodles for hair, imo.
When you look at my images you see noodles? I mean really? Honestly?

Semi transparent grey/white coloured strands of paper around 1CM in diameter are more natural?

Neither look properly natural, but yeah, I actually prefer dirty looking hair that doesn't flow individually over silky smooth shampoo ad looking hair.

When you look at my images you see noodles? I mean really? Honestly?

Refined to the point where you can see individual strands from a distance, real hair doesn't work like that but it's a matter of preference.

Geralt looks so terrible without Hairworks. I'm so glad they implemented it.

You have strange taste especially since the long and loose hairstyle is broken with hairworks thus making it look even worse. Long and Loose actually has less physics than without hairworks and is poorly shaped on his head plus hairworks makes his face look more bloated.

Imo CDPRs hair tech looks vastly superior. The non hairworks half ponytail texture is far more natural and actually looks like real hair.

Last edited:
You have strange taste especially since the long and loose hairstyle is broken with hairworks thus making it look even worse. Long and Loose actually has less physics than without hairworks and is poorly shaped on his head plus hairworks makes his face look more bloated.

Imo CDPRs hair tech looks vastly superior. The non hairworks half ponytail texture is far more natural and actually looks like real hair.
I don't like nor do i care about this style, i only took these pictures because it's what OP used.

Sorry but having individual strands of hair is better than lumps of paper. Calling it shampoo ad hair or whatever, that's subjective.

Hairworks has a load of settings, they could have tweaked it to make it even better, but you've gotta be kidding me if you tell me that the in-house solution looked better.

---------- Updated at 10:14 PM ----------

Neither look properly natural, but yeah, I actually prefer dirty looking hair that doesn't flow individually over silky smooth shampoo ad looking hair.
It doesn't look dirty at all, it's just more grey.

Never said that the Hairworks implementation here looked 100% real, but it's damn good considering it's real time simulation of 200k strands of hair with actual physics.

lumps of paper.
Lumps of paper? Care to explain how you've come to this conclusion?

The CDPR hair is some of the most realistic looking hair I've seen in a game. And I know hair since mine is over twice as long as Geralts and I've been taking care of it my whole life.

Here, courtesy of "Hairworks on everything but Geralt" by Crassius on the Nexus who made these pictures and the mod. Personal preference aside, no one who knows hair can say Hairworks looks more natural.

Last edited:
Never said that the Hairworks implementation here looked 100% real, but it's damn good considering it's real time simulation of 200k strands of hair with actual physics.

Yeah it's impressive, I just wish there was a way I could edit it to make it look less soft, find a middle ground or something

It doesn't look dirty at all, it's just more grey.

By "dirty" I mean that doesn't look "floaty", like silk or like I said, shampoo ad, of course it's subjective, but to me, CDPR's tech look more natural while Hairworks feels "too much".

Last edited:
Lumps of paper? Care to explain how you've come to this conclusion?

The CDPR hair is some of the most realistic looking hair I've seen in a game. And I know hair since mine is over twice as long as Geralts and I've been taking care of it my whole life.

Here, courtesy of "Hairworks on everything but Geralt" by Crassius on the Nexus who made these pictures and the mod. Personal preference aside, no one who knows hair can say Hairworks looks more natural.

Those look like noodles lol?

On one hand you got actual hairs and on the other you have strands of translucent grey material that is blocky and for which you can actually see the width, the short hairs on the sides and back are just mostly painted on the head.

The only thing that Hairworks lacks in Witcher 3 is more self shadowing, they could improve it even further.

That is IMO the only hairstyle in the game where Hairworks on Geralt looks great.
The default also looks miles ahead with Hairworks because he has actual hair, not like two dozens of strands of paper that wiggle a little and have low polygon count.

On one hand you got actual hairs and on the other you have strands of translucent grey material that is blocky and for which you can actually see the width

My comparison was purely in regards to the half ponytail in which my statement is 100% correct. No one can argue with my pictures otherwise they are wrong. Now as for the ponytail you posted the case is a bit different.

-Don't wash or brush long hair and it will look just like the CDPR hair.
-Condition and meticulously brush through every strand whilst keeping the ends wet and you get the Hairworks ponytail. It seriously looks like he has product from the hair tie down to the strands in the hairworks picture you posted.

The default also looks miles ahead with Hairworks because he has actual hair, not like two dozens of strands of paper that wiggle a little and have low polygon count.

Did you not look at my pictures? You may personally believe it looks better with hairworks, but it in no way whatsoever looks anything like real natural hair. This is a factual statement not an opinion from someone with very long hair.

Last edited:
My comparison was purely in regards to the half ponytail in which my statement is 100% correct. No one can argue with my pictures otherwise they are wrong. Now as for the ponytail you posted the case is a bit different.

-Don't wash or brush long hair and it will look just like the CDPR hair.
-Condition and meticulously brush through every strand whilst keeping the ends wet and you get the Hairworks ponytail. It seriously looks like he has product from the hair tie down to the strands in the hairworks picture you posted.

Did you not look at my pictures? You may personally believe it looks better with hairworks, but it in no way whatsoever looks anything like real natural hair. This is a factual statement not an opinion from someone with very long hair.
My pictures disagree...

Your hair looks like blocky strands of paper?

My pictures disagree...

Your hair looks like blocky strands of paper?

All you do is post pictures that prove none of your points whilst I completely dissect and explain everything to you. I've already made the comparison between the pictures. No need to repeat myself.

You must genuinely not know what actual hair looks like.

All you do is post pictures that prove none of your points whilst I completely dissect and explain everything to you. I've already made the comparison between the pictures. No need to repeat myself.

You must genuinely not know what actual hair looks like.

With some more shadowing on the hair strands and some more grey, Hairworks could look very close to that photo.

I think you two need to tone it down a bit. Some people like the CDPR tech hair better, some like the Hairworks hair better. And it's fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom