[SPOILERS] The lack of Witcher 2 decisions and content in The Witcher 3.

+
Witcher games based on Geralt as main character would be actually better if there were no typical RPG whatsoever.. any character development and learning new skills makes no sense with him actually, as he is already the best swordsmen in the north and one of most experienced witchers....

Which would make that game LINEAR. But this returns us to the argument that while a book and an RPG may be based on the same world and characters, they should be independent of one another. If I'm made to choose between a book and a game, I'll choose the book. No processor can compare to imagination. Ditto for choosing between a movie and a book.

A game is NOT a book and should not play out like one.

But I tell you, had CDPR labeled TW 3 linear and not an RPG, I would be much happier because i would have never wasted my money or time on it.

Last edited:
It's not connected because the decisions you made in TW2 are ignored. The only point which connects is the next one: "this invasion destroys all what you have done in the previous game. ALL. That's include a rebelion which ended in a new state and the rescue of a princess which avoid a civil war. End"

they are not ignored, they just have minimal impact 6 months later... sometimes things that seem very important are shown in different light with time passing by...

they are not ignored, they just have minimal impact 6 months later... sometimes things that seem very important are shown in different light with time passing by...

Minimal? There are no impacts. And this is my issue: there were a lot possibilities to write a different beggining which could reflect better the save import. I've just put an example in an older post

Which would make that game LINEAR. But this returns us to the argument that while a book and an RPG may be based on the same world and characters, they should be independent of one another. If I'm made to choose between a book and a game, I'll choose the book. No processor can compare to imagination. Ditto for choosing between a movie and a book.

But I tell you, had CDPR labeled TW 3 linear and not an RPG, I would be much happier because i would have never spent money or my time on it.

no it wouldnt.. it would be just different game altogether, and i think its a shame CDPR didnt go that way... it could be the first modern fantasy without stats and leveled items etc... (i'm actually working on my own personal mod where there is no character level ups, and everything is fixed to level 1)

CDPR should hire you for their PR. Seriously, I don't think I've come across a bigger TW 3 apologist who looks through such rose-colored glasses.

But I tell you, had CDPR labeled TW 3 linear and not an RPG, I would be much happier because i would have never wasted my money or time on it.
I think that my system, which is based on discovering the secrets of different Witcher Schools could be a descent solution for Geralt's skill progression.
Yeah, NG+ isn't balanced.
However I don't think that the current system is really good, because it was really missopportunistic(does this word even exist? I want to sound smart and important.) of CDPR, becayse they had a really good chance to make the system awesome.
First, Geralt is an experienced witcher, so it would be really awesome to add some potions recipes, whirlwind, rend and secondary signs modes right at the start of the game, however who was taught in Kaer Morhen, ergo who couldn't know the secrets of all witcher schools, which probably had their own methods of dealing with problems.
Second, I would cut the skill tree-slot system and instead I based the game system on Various Witcher Schools and their knowledge, which varies from school to school.
So there would be 5 trees
Wolf School - tree, which empowers overall Geralt's sword wielding abilities, improves potions/bombs/oils of Wolf School and to a lesser extent potions/bombs in general. Provides some various bonuses to Aard, Heliotrope and Igni. Encourages use of Medium Armor. Improves damage against monsters in general.
Viper School - tree, which empowers Geralt's fast attacks. Improves potions/bombs/oils associated with Viper School and to a lesser extent potions/bombs in general. Provides bonuses to Aard, Quen and Yrden. Provides certain bonuses for using Light Armor. Increases chances of applying poisoning effects and critical hits. Provide bonuses to critical damage. Improves damage against humans.
Griffon School - tree, which empower Geralt's magic capabilities. Improves potions/bombs associated with Griffon School and to a lesser extent potions/bombs in general. Provides bonuses to all signs, and changes Quen to Sun Quen and Aard to Ice Aard. Provides no bonuses regarding the armor, however maxing out Griffon School provides a chance to increase maximum stamina and stamina regeneration. Improves damage against large monsters except for giants and cyclops.
Cat School- tree, which empowers Geralt's fast attacks and Crossbows(In a more agile way with more trickshots). Improves potions/bombs/oils associated with Cat School and to a lesser extent potions/bombs/oils in general. Increases the effectiveness of Aard, Axii and Igni. Witcher of Cat School prefers light armor. Increases chances of applying bleeding effects and critical hits. Greatly improves Geralt's oils. Also, improves barter.
Bear School- tree, which empowers Geralt's power attacks and Crossbows(In a way of improving bolts and bolts recipes with less trickshots). Improves potions/bombs/oils associated with Bear School nd to a lesser extent potions/bombs/oils in general. Witchers of Bear School prefer Quen and Igni along side Heavy armor. Greatly improves Geralt's potions as well as maximum toxicity and metabolism velocity.

Such system would be much easier to bond with quests and make it some sort of a hybrid, where some skill/recipes are given through completing quests and the other can be taken through simple leveling. Some skills can't be learnt without completing quests, but can be regularly leveled up after learning the first level of the skill.
It could give much more possibilities and would be more easy to balance and fun to play.

So, this would all about experienced witcher, who discovers the secrets of other witchers during his journey, which would be more organic way of leveling up. Treasure hunt with skills changers, unique potions, recipes and, techniques as a reward, instead of trying to find them in random chests or not maxing out skills, because there are not enough space. Just imagine that every school had it own mutagens and its own ways of creating witchers, so why Geralt couldn't use this knowledge to improve his own mutation?

Instead of focusing on Alchemy/Swords/Magic and instead of focusing on one aspect of those trees in particular we get more flexible and more various system, which doesn't focus on a single aspect, but focuses on witcher methods themselves, making it possible for a player to use alchemy/signs/swords, but in a different, unique for a particular school way, and all of this during one playthrough without sacrificing anything, which enhances the experience

Last edited:
no it wouldnt.. it would be just different game altogether, and i think its a shame CDPR didnt go that way... it could be the first modern fantasy without stats and leveled items etc... (i'm actually working on my own personal mod where there is no character level ups, and everything is fixed to level 1)

o_O

Good luck with that.

Minimal? There are no impacts. And this is my issue: there were a lot possibilities to write a different beggining which reflects the save import. I've just put an example in an older post

as i wrote before, what impact you were expecting in spite of Nilfgaard invasion? those politic conflict between Temerian Nobility to have some meaning? no matter who would get Annais, it would made no difference on status of Temerian army weakened by two civil wars happening closely one after another (while it is well established LaValletes sided with Nilfgaard)... same for Kaedwen, they had no chance to stop Nilfgaard after bleeding at Vergen (besides being not still recovered from wars with Demavend few years before).. so tell me, which result makes no sense to you??

Last edited:
Covered in-depth earlier on in this thread. Mainly has to do with continuity from TW 2.

If you have not completed the game yet, there will be more issues than just continuity from TW2 later, especially after completing Final Preparations.

But I tell you, had CDPR labeled TW 3 linear and not an RPG, I would be much happier because i would have never spent money or my time on it.

Indeed. However, as Bethesda games have shown, "open world action RPG" is a genre that sells well nowadays, so labelling the game as such is better from a marketing point of view.

as i wrote before, what impact you were expecting in spite of Nilfgaard invasion? those politic conflict between Temerian Nobility to have some meaning? no matter who would get Annais, it would made no difference on status of Temerian army weakened by two civil wars happening closely one after another (while it is well established LaValletes sided with Nilfgaard)... same for Kaedwen, they had no chance to stop Nilfgaard after bleeding at Vergen (besides being not still recovered from wars with Demavend few years before).. so tell me, which result makes no sense to you??

Which impact? Maybe that if I rescue the future queen of Temeria and gave her to the man (Natalis) who controls the majority of the Temerian army and, with this, he gain control over one of the two factions which are menacing with a civil war and he destroy the other one this will lead to a strong Temeria. Maybe that if I left alive the queen's brother the La Valettes will fight for her right. That this mean that, during these 6 months Temeria fought but in the end, only the remains of the temerian army are resisting in Velen. That could be a different begining. A more credible one

Last edited:
What do you consider as a unique content?

Unique = not the duplicate of something that also exists elsewhere. So, that excludes a lot of copy&paste stuff a large open world game often contains to fill its map. The number of unique dialogue lines (2.6 times more in TW3) I mentioned earlier is not a perfect metric, but it is a reasonable estimate for a game where dialogue is important, and is coincidentally even close to the ratio of the hours I spent playing the games.

Which impact? Maybe that if I rescue the future queen of Temeria and gave her to the man (Natalis) who controls the majority of the Temerian army and, with this, he gain control over one of the two factions which are menacing with a civil war and he destroy the other one this will lead to a strong Temeria. Maybe that if I left alive the queen's brother the La Valettes will fight for her right. That this mean that, during these 6 months Temeria fought but in the end, only the remains of the temerian army are resisting in Velen. That could be a different begining. A more credible one

Temerian army is not strong enough to survive - Roche actually mentioned that he and Natalis tried to stop Nilfgaardians, and managed it for 3 days just to be swept away completely... so no, it doesnt matter if Anais is given to Natalis.. (also said that Radovid refused to help them with Vizima defense...)

LaValletes took shelter of Nilfgaard already in Witcher 2, they would hardly go back to Temerian side after Temerian razed their castle and killed their subordinates (again all happened in Witcher 2)

Unique = not the duplicate of something that also exists elsewhere. So, that excludes a lot of copy&paste stuff a large open world game often contains to fill its map. The number of unique dialogue lines (2.6 times more in TW3) I mentioned earlier is not a perfect metric, but it is a reasonable estimate for a game where dialogue is important, and is coincidentally even close to the ratio of the hours I spent playing the games.
I don't have an objective information about such things, so I really have nothing to say about this. However, subjectively I didn't see much repetitiveness within the one Witcher 3 playthrough, and I had much more laughs and wow moments comparing to the second part. May be that's because I played the russian version, and I just couldn't play the english one, because the voices seemed strange and silly, especially Dandelion's, even in spite of speed bug in russian dubbing.

Last edited:
Temerian army is not strong enough to survive - Roche actually mentioned that he and Natalis tried to stop Nilfgaardians, and managed it for 3 days just to be swept away completely... so no, it doesnt matter if Anais is given to Natalis.. (also said that Radovid refused to help them with Vizima defense...)

LaValletes took shelter of Nilfgaard already in Witcher 2, they would hardly go back to Temerian side after Temerian razed their castle and killed their subordinates (again all happened in Witcher 2)

Again, you are saying things that have been mentioned in the current screenplay of TW3 and what I'm saying is that this screenplay could have been another completely different. Aryan La Valette was a fierce enemy of Nilgaard. It was said several times in TW2, they only took shelter if he died. Even when I don't share your opinion, I could understand that you like the current story of TW3 but saying that what I'm proposing it's imposible just because the current story of TW3 say it, it's stupid. You don't want to consider any other possibilitie than the one which is in the game. That's understandable but makes this conversation useless

Last edited:
Top Bottom