where's the new lighting?

+
where's the new lighting?

Is the new Xbox EE lighting ever going to be on pc? Because I reaally liked that one. Seemed so much more natural and less eye hurting..

EDIT: are we going to get any visual upgrades present on the xbox version?

The lighting effects on XBox 360 are a lot more primitive and less dynamic than those used on the PC version. There are no upgrades, but the complete opposite. You can get an identical effect just by cutting the lighting effects to a minimum in the game options. If you find the more advanced options unpleasant, I suggest that you try to update your graphics card drivers though; you may be mistaking glitches for effects if they actually hurt your eyes.

Lightice said:
The lighting effects on XBox 360 are a lot more primitive and less dynamic than those used on the PC version. There are no upgrades, but the complete opposite. You can get an identical effect just by cutting the lighting effects to a minimum in the game options. If you find the more advanced options unpleasant, I suggest that you try to update your graphics card drivers though; you may be mistaking glitches for effects if they actually hurt your eyes.

Hey, I'm not talking about the quality of lighting effects, but that they have clearly changed them in the 360 version. The TOD is different, as is color correction. There are many enviromental enhacements in this version, too. Essentially the whole mood of the game is different.

Also I meant that the lighting effects are more easy on the eye as in, not overly saturated.

Hey, I'm not talking about the quality of lighting effects, but that they have clearly changed them in the 360 version. The TOD is different, as is color correction.
There is no difference beyond the fact that there are fewer lighting effects and they are less dynamic. Just cut them down and see for yourself.

erikisoz said:
I've personally compared the low-end graphics of the PC version to the footage of the XBox 360 version when I was having performance issues with EE. I honestly can't see any kind of meaningful difference between the two. If there are subtle performance tweaks, then they serve the XBox arcitecture, but they certainly don't make the game appear any better than it does on the PC.

They changed the lighting/shadow system for the Xbox360 because it cannot handle the one used for the PC version. It would actually be a downgrade if they changed the lighting of the PC version to the one on the Xbox360 version. The lighting on the Xbox360 version is actually inferior and not an enhancement, its designed to work well with what the Xbox360's got, its hardware is alot weaker so they had to make a less demanding lighting/shadows system, there was no way the console was handling the realtime/dynamic lighting/shadows on the PC.

It may look better to you but the devs did not implement that on the PC version because they know it woudn't be an enhacement or an upgrade to the PC version, it would be downgrading it and it doesnt make any sense doing that. The lighting/shadow system for the PC version is better and more complex im telling you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQbJ6oQznw

I feel the PC has much prettier lighting, it's not hurting to the eyes or anything for me.

For me, it doesn't matter what looks more realistic. I care about what looks more pretty.

Prometheus34572 said:
It may look better to you but the devs did not implement that on the PC version because they know it woudn't be an enhacement or an updgrade to the PC version, it would be downgrading it and it doesnt make any sense doing that. The lighting/shadow system for the PC version is better and more complex im telling you.

Yeah, I get it, but what I mean is they should give us an option to change to 360 version TOD and color correction. I mean seriously this compared to this.

Also this one is like the crysis era HDR bloom shit all over again, compared to this.

Are you guys getting my point? I want that natural look, and no I don't want subpar shadows or reduced dynamic lights or any other kind of bullcr*p.

Sheesh!

EDIT: Okay, getting mad. Poohunter's video 0:29, do we have that? NO.

Maybe i'm just nitpicking but I'm feeling kinda ripped of here! Well not really we got all these DLC and Enhancements for free, but still.

erikisoz said:
Yeah, I get it, but what I mean is they should give us an option to change to 360 version TOD and color correction. I mean seriously this compared to this.

Also this one is like the crysis era HDR bloom shit all over again, compared to this.

Are you guys getting my point? I want that natural look, and no I don't want subpar shadows or reduced dynamic lights or any other kind of bullcr*p.

Sheesh!

If it was that simple i think they would have given us the option, but its not. Its not as simple as changing TOD etc, they altered how the engine works in its core for the Xbox360's hardware, to do that on the PC would be alot of work and alot of optimizing all over again because you are messing with the engine and how it uses resources. That lighting/shadow system is designed for the Xbox360 exclusively, PC and Xbox360 are identical but not exactly the same so it woudnt be simple. They didnt actually just port the game to the Xbox360 , they actually changed alot in the games engine, they rewrote it to work specifically with the Xbox360's hardware, can you not understand that?

If you have that big of a problem with it why dont you just get the Xbox360 version then? whining about it on the forums isn't gonna do anything. This is how the game looks on the PC, if you cant accept that then go buy an Xbox360 and play the Xbox360 version.

EDIT:
And you have no right to feel ripped off, you got so much stuff for free, you should be thankfull. Your acting like a spoiled kid atm and you have to realize that, wanting more more more. Just be satisfied with what you have, graphics isn't everything, this games selling point is its story, so play it, dont nitpick little irrelevant things.

[quote name=erikisoz]
Maybe i'm just nitpicking but I'm feeling kinda ripped of here! Well not really we got all these DLC and Enhancements for free, but still.
[/QUOTE]

It's just that they said we would get everything that the other version gets. No need to hate.

The little things makes the experience mind you;)

I would get it on Xbox but I don't have one, and it wouldn't be MY Geralt.

EDIT: oh yeah, they did develop the xbox version for a year.. It might require some work.. But still I imagine they could've developed the two version simultaneously, then again maybe they didn't have enough crew to do that.. oh well.

erikisoz said:
It's just that they said we would get everything that the other version gets. No need to hate.

The little things makes the experience mind you;)

I would get it on Xbox but I don't have one, and it wouldn't be MY Geralt.

Think about it this way. Both version use the same engine, but because the Xbox360 has its limitations now that its really old, they probably had to rewrite the engine from scratch or tweak alot of things to compliment the Xbox360's harware, and in that process ofcourse some things will change/ be different. Like the lighting system for example, they saw the Xbox360 cannot handle the default lighting system they created for the PC version so they had to do something about that, and instead of just downgrading the current lighting system and have that look like crap they instead went on a different direction with it and changed it to something that looks great (and different ofcourse) and works with the Xbox360's hardware. So yeah instead of just downgrading things for the Xbox360 like some stupid port, they instead changed things around and managed to create something that works well for the Xbox360 exclusively. If they tried to do that on the PC, it would take alot of work (and money which the company does not have) and it woudn't make any sense, waste of money really, since everything is already working great, game looks beautiful, the heavy lighting/shadow system needs no changing as PC's can handle it just fine.

They did tweak some graphics in the PC version like godrays and cinematic DOF, could be other things they changed, but why didn't they touch the lighting/shadow system?, because there is no need to change it, Its what they created that works best for the PC version. Its the direction they wanted to go for the PC version and they got that, it works/looks great and yeah it just woudnt make any sense changing it.

So the Xbox360 isn't a downgrade port, its using the same engine but rewriten "for the Xbox360's hardware exclusively" (those little changes would only work on the Xbox360 i guess since they are made for that specific hardware), so yeah some things work differently in it. And if you prefer that then all you can do is get the Xbox360 version.

And what you see in the PC version is how the devs really intended the game to look like, they had no hardware limitation so they could make the game however they wanted it to look like. So what you see on the PC version is the direction intended by the devs.

For the the Xbox360 version, the changes are not exactly whats meant for the game, but they had to change things around for things to work with the console.

Just something to think about. With the PC version you are actually playing the game how the devs intended it to be.

erikisoz said:

You can't be serious.

Come on erikisoz, I can't even play the game with everything set on medium and I love it, and you are complaining that it looks different on the xbox and you want it to look that way? come on be serious. I support prometheus point of view, if you want the pc version to look like the xbox version then go, buy an xbox with the game and don't bother the community and the devs with such a worthless post.

Forum veteran
casstiel said:
I support prometheus point of view, if you want the pc version to look like the xbox version then go, buy an xbox with the game and don't bother the community and the devs with such a worthless post.
No need to incite others.

As for this thread... anyone who believes that the lighting is better in the Xbox version needs to actually play/watch the Xbox version. Don't base your assumptions that it's better on some cherry-picked screenshots. Having played both on PC with ultra settings sans uber and the Xbox version, I can say that both have high points and low points, but bloom aside, the PC version's lighting is superior in every way.

Not only that but the saturation of color is better on PC. I just turn off bloom and adjust lighting and gamma.

Why does everyone look so skinny in the Xbox 360 screen shots? It look like they all missed a few meals.

erikisoz said:

I agree, especially on the blue light in the siege tower. I am a PC gamer, but I dont like the lighting in TW2 that much and wont say its superior. You cant be serious saying that when the characters' faces are shining like dog's balls, as if illuminated with a fairy dust.

I think most of you are just arguing for the sake of arguing and the notion 'pc is a better platform'. yes, it is, but the lighting is unnatural and plain wrong (in terms of palette and intensity) in many places.

Either people are blind or do not want to see the difference.

Top Bottom