CD Projekt: Witcher 2 intro cinematic "the most expensive asset we ever created"

+
I believe they needed it. That cinematic looked great, filled in a story gap, and most importantly, is great advertisement for the console release of the game. Yes, they could have used that money to improve the game or add more features such as more quests, but this trailer goes a long way to helping the console version become a success.

DragonsDream said:
I believe they needed it. That cinematic looked great, filled in a story gap, and most importantly, is great advertisement for the console release of the game. Yes, they could have used that money to improve the game or add more features such as more quests, but this trailer goes a long way to helping the console version become a success.
Yeah. I sort of agree. I would've preferred if that money was spend on the game itself rather than for a promotional video..

But oh well, I hope it pays off.

Well, if enough people see this, and buy it for the console, they can easily make the money back, and possibly put it into the game. Wishful thinking?

Darkone8874 said:
Well, if enough people see this, and buy it for the console, they can easily make the money back, and possibly put it into the game. Wishful thinking?
..or if the sales aren't satisfying enough it might've been a waste of money & effort.

It's a gamble I guess.

Forum veteran
Marketing toward PC gamers: "Complex story with choice and consequence!"

Marketing toward console gamers: "PRETTY CGI! STAB STAB STAB KAPLOSION!!!"

So amusing how console gamers are apparently cavemen who need to be distracted by something shiny in order to get them to buy. That being said, yay for us also getting the shiny, and double yay for Witcher 2 finally getting the attention it's deserved for a long time.

Judging by the reaction of people I know who are by now sick and tired of me dancing around them and going "WITCHER WITCHER WITCHER YOU SHOULD PLAY WITCHER WITCHER", that was money well spent. It took that trailer to get them interested.

But we'll see. :crosses fingers:

eskiMoe said:
Yeah. I sort of agree. I would've preferred if that money was spend on the game itself rather than for a promotional video..
You're wrong my friend :)

Nowadays, handsome is as handsome does. Even if the idiom wasn't probably created for this purpose, but we can reverse it to say that appearance and advertisement means everything. Too much competition in game industry.

Think about Cameron's Avatar: trailers, teasers and ads made half of the fame. Unworthy, if you ask me. Luckly this is not the case of W2.

It was all pretty and all ...but a trailer that doesn't show any actual gameplay is useless to me.
Just a nice bit of cgi art.

227 said:
Marketing toward PC gamers: "Complex story with choice and consequence!"

Marketing toward console gamers: "PRETTY CGI! STAB STAB STAB KAPLOSION!!!"

So amusing how console gamers are apparently cavemen who need to be distracted by something shiny in order to get them to buy. That being said, yay for us also getting the shiny, and double yay for Witcher 2 finally getting the attention it's deserved for a long time.

This is an interesting point. The trailers for the PC release were wonderful, and they were all in-game footage. Hell they even used classical music for one. Why not do the same for console crowd?

I also see where Eskimoe is coming from. CDPR is still pretty small compared to the likes of EA, Activision, etc. That money could have been used for the game instead. But then there's the fact it's likely the best trailer ever created for a game, and I'm not joking when I say that. Its got a lot of people's attention.

eskiMoe said:

But oh well, I hope it pays off.

Well, I think what he meant, is the amount of money spent relative to the end product, not necessarily that it cost a huge net sum of money.

And as a general comment, the subtleties on that short are fantastic. A couple that caught my eye:
* At the very beginning, the king bending his head back to drink, you can see his Adam's apple go up and down as he swallows his drink.
* The fighter who gets punched in the face in slow motion, you can see the ripples the punch makes on his cheek.
* The flight of the arrow shot at Letho.

Aver

Forum veteran
eskiMoe said:
They can't spent more on game without delaying realese date. They pay their employees, they are hiring constantly and they can't do anything else with their money. Trailer was outsourced, so it wasn't any burden for a production crew.

Aver said:
They can't spent more on game without delaying realese date. They pay their employees, they are hiring constantly and they can't do anything else with their money. Trailer was outsourced, so it wasn't any burden for a production crew.

A very good point! The trailer was indeed outsourced, so its not like it distracted the core team from working on the game itself. Besides, if this trailer works (and I would say it already has), then the income generated from the console version means CDPR will have more money to spend on the next game.

Don't worry eskiMoe, despite what Tuco says on the gametrailers forums, this does not mark the decline of CDPR .

Platige Image has done before works for CDPR and not only for them ... i really wish they will make full movie someday...

Check trailers they did for Grunwald 1410-2010 battle event (work for polish national centre of culture).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRqcbZsKVII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpR_Ckg3q6s

I hope they will work also with CDPR in their future projects :)

Tomasz Baginski is like polish national treasure imo.

P.S. If you can watch their short movie "Paths of hate". Trailer

KnightofPhoenix said:
(the first being Witcher's world).
Had forgotten about that.

Such a brilliant trailer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbdrcpuFgJQ[/media]

Witcher's World is so perfect - beautiful, informative, and spoiler-free. It's a huge bonus that it's sort of a stand-alone, too, and not a part of the core game.

Top Bottom