overclocking and graphics setting reset

+
overclocking and graphics setting reset

hi
i wonder if tech support can help with this...

So i recently upgraded from WinXP 32b to Win7 64b and from 2GB DDR2 667 to 4GB DDR2 800.
When i was still using the old config i could play the game with my gpu(Nvidia gtx550 ti MSI OC Edition) overclocked past the factory OC.Ever since i upgraded and installed Nvidia drivers 320.49 i cant play the game with my GPU OC'ed.
I use MSI afterburner to OC and i have 3 OC profiles; 1)core boost , 2)core + shader boost , 3)core + shader + memory boost.
Ive used FurMark to burn in each profile and my card tops out at 72 degrees celcius under 99% load but is stable.All 3 profiles work with every other game i play.However with The Witcher 2 EE the game freezes and goes to a black screen and then starts again but with the card running at factory OC settings.Im 100% sure its not overheating as its winter in South Africa and we've been having -2 degree weather for 2 days now.
I know that "the witcher does'nt take kindly to overclocked gpus" but c'mon , this oc is what allows me play the game on ultra at my native res relatively smooth as opposed to laggy.

Any help/advice appreciated
Ebrahim Ali

PS my current rig specs
Cpu : intel core2 duo e4500 oc @ 2.4ghz
mobo : foxconn g31 MXP
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800
gpu : Nvidia gtx550ti MSI OC Edition
psu : Cooler master elite 600(540 watt)
HDD:Samsung 320GB SATA||

Short answer: This game DOES NOT get along with end-user overclocking. If it isn't stable on an overclocked GPU, don't overclock, period. Nobody on these forums or in tech support is going to make it work any better than you can.

What GPU temperatures are you seeing in game? The temperature inside the chip and the temperature outside your window are not necessarily closely related. Use a tool like MSI Afterburner to monitor your temperature in real time.

I think this game is actually harder on your GPU than Furmark is. GPU makers have gotten wise to Furmark and throttle back when they detect it. So you need to look at its thermal performance in this game, not extrapolate from Furmark or guess that it couldn't be overheating.

nVidia has pulled some dirty tricks in recent driver versions, such as overvoltaging cards in 3D modes to improve DirectX 11 performance. If you have a factory OC card to begin with, this can push it past its limits with an engine that runs wide-open throttle like Red Engine does.

Also give serious consideration to rolling back your driver.

I recommand you to visit another forum, they would help you probably much more on special boards (especially to get proper clocks for CPU, GPU and RAMs so they could work together properly). You also didn't write, how much you tried to oc g.card. This GPU should be stabile up to 1025 MHz (on core) and up to 5,2 GHz (memories).
Maybe Processor brakes you down little bit, but as I said, when you ask on proper places, you'll get better answers how much you can get from that.
I already used MSI for little improvement and game works fine. But if other games and stress test works fine, you will have to deal with that or wait for some patch on W2.

Just one small advice from me - how about to downgrade your graphic drivers?

Thanks guys
my standard timings are as folows
core : 950mhz
shader : 1900mhz
memory : 1075 x 2 so its 2150mhz

my oc is 1000mhz on core and 2000mhz on shader , i noticed that this profile works as long as i leave the memory at factory timings.I was playing fallout 3 earlier and my driver reset when i used a higher oc profile than the one above.Im gonna rollback my drivers and see if it helps.
the game runs good enough so i think i'll leave it that.Ive ordered a new mobo+cpu+RAM and it should be here soon,ive orered an Asus p8z77-m motherboard with an intel core i5 3470 and 4x2048mb of ddr3 1333 RAM.im pretty sure that will give a boost in performance.

@guy
i realy didnt know that stuff about Nvidia and furmark so thanks for telling me

Top Bottom