1 year with Cyberpunk 2077

+
EN_CP_Mosaic_2560x1440.png

It's been a year since the release. Thank you for all of the support and passion you've given us!

Here's to you!

But are you really criticizing this effect in a blink of an eye when you move around or zoom in? Like for real? No "pixelation" for me.
But how much ram do you want the game to ask for, do you want to burn your PCs or what?
That is not at the level of Rage's pop in or even to make a fuss about it. This is definetively no asset streaming issue either.
I don't understand people anymore I don't know exactly how you want a game this big to work.
You really dont have too zoom in or just run around too notice this effect. Its when the game is slow too load in high detail textures. Since the radius off high level is kinda short you get this happening with some details. its the same as light lods at some spots. They go from dark to light exactly at the same distance...

The first instance of this happening too me but with shadows. or well i guess the first time i noticed it..

Here's why I have such a problem with this: because no matter how powerful your PC might be, the game will look and perform like garbage. 5 years from now you'll turn it on your RTX 5080 and the game will still have issues with loading textures and objects and details.

I am not concerned with what the game looks like on a laptop using 1660 Super. I'm talking full-details.

CP2077 has problems with streaming and LODs, that is obvious weakness. Even though open worlds in general has those issue, combine with some uneven distribution in enviro quality, it is definetly more visible than usual.

But cars being "too low poly" is absurd claim. And those of oversaturation or RT being "...only the festival of gloom and glare..." are personal taste at best.

IMHO they wanted to make open world with first person level of details that would run on old consoles... yeah.
They should omit one of those things and focus on consistency more than just beautiful dialogue scenes, but that is absolutely a hindsight.
And I do not think anything will change in this. And as consequences, they won't spend more compute resources on a police system or similar.

Odd thing is that if I modded the render distance in the ini files it seemed to run just OK. I wonder why they limited it even for PCs that could handle it. Maybe that will change.

IMHO they wanted to make open world with first person level of details that would run on old consoles... yeah.
They should omit one of those things and focus on consistency more than just beautiful dialogue scenes, but that is absolutely a hindsight.
And I do not think anything will change in this. And as consequences, they won't spend more compute resources on a police system or similar.

This right here. I keep telling people much won't change in this regard, without considerable changes elsewhere, because they've painted themselves into a corner wanting to do everything. At least not for a while.

Amazing rendering, Amazing story, Amazing poly counts, Amazing scale, Amazing, Amazing, etc, etc. Well, this is what you get in the end. There was something resembling a police ai system at one point, we know because the remnants still exists. Either the simulation engineers are amateurs and couldn't get a 20 year old feature to work, or they decided to cut this because something else (the fucking graphics) was more important to them.

You can get two of three options on a good day - Cutting edge visuals, Cutting edge gameplay, Cutting edge storytelling. All three is a miracle.
All of these have a level of impact on the player short and long term, and it's arguable that they interact and even influence the effect(s) of the others, but gamers at present are obsessed with the wrong ones.

This right here. I keep telling people much won't change in this regard, without considerable changes elsewhere, because they've painted themselves into a corner wanting to do everything. At least not for a while.

Amazing rendering, Amazing story, Amazing poly counts, Amazing scale, Amazing, Amazing, etc, etc. Well, this is what you get in the end. There was something resembling a police ai system at one point, we know because the remnants still exists. Either the simulation engineers are amateurs and couldn't get a 20 year old feature to work, or they decided to cut this because something else (the fucking graphics) was more important to them.

You can get two of three options on a good day - Cutting edge visuals, Cutting edge gameplay, Cutting edge storytelling. All three is a miracle.
All of these have a level of impact on the player short and long term, and it's arguable that they interact and even influence the effect(s) of the others, but gamers at present are obsessed with the wrong ones.

Call me crazy, but I believe for a seamless completely open world (no load screens and limited instancing) action RPG they achieved, albeit flawed, cutting edge graphics, cutting edge gameplay (now I really want someone to show me a seamless open world first person action RPG with a more fluid combat and movement mechanics and a robust perk system that allows for so many different builds that all feel good to play) and the last one is purely subjective, but I feel (even though limited in scope and delivery at times) it's one of the most mature, and the most empathic with it's themes and undertones, story that captured the essence of the Cyberpunk genre as good as a video game story has ever done (don't give me bogus like Deus Ex's narrative and the likes of Shadowrun, Ruiner, System Shock or Observer which have very basic stories with very few undertones but are really good in their own right).

Although we live in the real world where perfection does not exist and everything is flawed, just like this game.

Call me crazy, but I believe for a seamless completely open world (no load screens and limited instancing) action RPG they achieved, albeit flawed, cutting edge graphics, cutting edge gameplay (now I really want someone to show me a seamless open world first person action RPG with a more fluid combat and movement mechanics and a robust perk system that allows for so many different builds that all feel good to play) and the last one is purely subjective,
Preface - I view gameplay in a holistic manner. Story and Narrative a relative, but not the same. Story - man goes to place of work and shoots another man, more at 11. Narrative - The shot man wronged the killer at a profound level, and here's why that this revenge killing is/isn't moral and how it relates to you in our world. Watch the film Irreversible as an S tier primer on narrative exposition. EDIT: This all may sound hostile. It's not. I'm a critical and abrasive person.

Cutting edge gameplay is more than how you shooty bang-bang or hack and slash. There's variance depending on what a title brings or attempts. Here it's not bad. I dig quickhacks being this world's 'magic' but the stealth is appallingly bad. Last one isn't a surprise because only a few Stealth titles nail it themselves. In Ghost of Tsushima you transition from Samurai to Ninja and the stealth in that game was still garbage. All that being said - If the enemy Ai presented a good retort that made your choices have weight - I would compliment the fluid class system more. As it stands wright now, shooting, hacking, slicing, exploding, punching, frying brain-dead enemies makes the combat and build decisions feel practically moot. It's a buffet. It's fun for what it is.

There are no drawbacks or benefits though, nor do factions or NPCs respond to these decisions. You may as well go to an armory and pick out weapons at random. This taking place in world of grand design ambition matters little when the world is largely inconsequential itself. All the encounters are staged. No one NPC or character notices you're life-path choices, nor your class choices or aptitudes. There are mediocre skillchecks, but nothing that says other people in this gameworld recognize the player. Imagine if Judy found out you used to be a "Corpo rat" or if you could tell her during a questline. Nope - not important here. You're just along for the ride.

I've spoken that there are some effects from your actions, but nothing groundbreaking in the slightest. Nor does it tread water navigated long before.

Ex: If you kill Jotaro Shobo before the Judy questline, you can use this event as a threat against Woodman when you confront him about Evie. Cool, yeah? Imagine, some Ubi tier shit job from 2077's Preston Garvey proper had an effect on the game... However, if you kill Woodman, spare him, not arrouse a single brow nor trip one camera - Maiko knows you were at clouds and her responses and dialogue options are the same. I tested this every which way. Your options are the same. Even if you choose to threaten her, you can't do so with killing Woodman as support for your claim. She shows up for Judy's scheme, even if you threaten her with her life... What this game fails to live up to is to further iterate on what New Vegas did long ago... How you impact other characters, how they treat and react to you, and how the world changes as a consequence is 'next gen' still to this day.

That you're reaching for 'muh story' when I'm talking about how you interact with the game world makes me feel you're trying to avoid 2077's shallow depth in this regard. It's the crutch of any game that lacks true confidence in it's utility and function; being a good video game first. If you're really so inclined to bemoan my critique - Fine. Let's go through the story and themes when I said nothing about that.

I can appreciate the story, though the lot of side quests are my jam - seriously, fuck, these are goddamn fantastic. Anyhow; this is a game we're dealing with here. It's not a movie. Movie games are tourist fantasies for people to feel like they're the star of someone else's show. I can appreciate them, I can respect them, and I understand that gamers, and RPG players specifically, would like the see that kind of artistic grandeur in a title of mechanical depth; This title is so wanting in the latter that 2077 was re-seated into the action/adventure genre. Next Gen Character Development? Sure... I suppose. Great fucking characters, very impressive work here. The character writing and acting is superb, they all feel like they belong where they are and have real depth, except for V. Well done. That's not what should carry a game though.

As for the narrative; Sincerely, every moment this game approaches the undertones of the genre it spits them in your face as if it were waxing poetically by making a bold reference. It may be 'wow just wow' for someone who has never ventured through Greek and Renaissance or Theological philosophy on their own, but it feels sophomoric. I still appreciate the effort to educate and homage, but there are times where it feels downright patronizing. Not at one moment does the narrative say 'come hither'; it breaths down your neck and exposes itself repeatedly like a drunk pervert. I still had a good time regardless. It's not a shit game, it's not even a bad game. It's a good game that is unfortunately carried by the art(visuals, monologues, dialogue, acting, cinema, etc) from top to bottom, an increasingly worrisome development for AAA titles. It will, like other games that overly rely on these factors, be outdone in short order. There is no shortage of incredibly moving cutscenes and wowy visuals, there is a severe drought of deep mechanics though.

To call Deus Ex simple and bogus insults the intelligence of any player who seriously engages the work's underpinnings. Simple story, maybe. Simple narrative - not by any stretch. Human Revolution is a psychological thriller that deals with prescription medication addiction, the pitfalls and benefits of mass-congolomeration, corporate/government subterfuge, military finance for R&D that doubles for medical advancement, the ideological groundwork that girds the conflict between boot-strap 'laissez faire' and eternal-nanny bureaucratic models of governance, discrimination, and much much more. Deus EX is issue driven, 2077 is character driven. Deus Ex asks how you would deal with issue, 2077 shows you how others deal with the results of those issues and you get to tag along for the ride. I don't consider them in same ballpark and don't feel apt to compare them. Gameplay wise - Stealth/action vs Action/adventure. Nothing alike.

As for an narrative comparison between the two, seeing as you felt the need to bring it up; 2077 desperately grasped for a sliver of the nuance Deus Ex has in spades when V and Takemura are aruging as they prepare to inflitrate the Arasaka factory - it was sadly short lived and swiftly back to 'corporations ooga booga'. Perhaps it is a matter of when the two games fall on the theoretical timeline in the genre, perhaps it's the restrictions of the IP's lore, but I find 2077 in need of some nuance if we're to call it truly "mature". The people working at Arasaka, the families they try to support working there, how they feel about it themselves, or any of the other functions Arasaka might serve outside of being pricks isn't even up for discussion in 2077. They're evil and that's that.

but I feel (even though limited in scope and delivery at times) it's one of the most mature, and the most empathic
Sure. Great character writing will do that. It delivers in this regard. No argument.

Last edited:
Preface - I view gameplay in a holistic manner. Story and Narrative a relative, but not the same. Story - man goes to place of work and shoots another man, more at 11. Narrative - The shot man wronged the killer at a profound level, and here's why that this revenge killing is/isn't moral and how it relates to you in our world. Watch the film Irreversible as an S tier primer on narrative exposition. EDIT: This all may sound hostile. It's not. I'm a critical and abrasive person.

Yes exactly, this is why I approached the whole narrative aspect of it referring to it's undertones rather than the specific chain of events (which like Deus Ex, it's very simple).

Also I know you are, makes the whole debate that much more spicy.

Cutting edge gameplay is more than how you shooty bang-bang or hack and slash. There's variance depending on what a title brings or attempts. Here it's not bad. I dig quickhacks being this world's 'magic' but the stealth is appallingly bad. Last one isn't a surprise because only a few Stealth titles nail it themselves. In Ghost of Tsushima you transition from Samurai to Ninja and the stealth in that game was still garbage. All that being said - If the enemy Ai presented a good retort that made your choices have weight - I would compliment the fluid class system more. As it stands wright now, shooting, hacking, slicing, exploding, punching, frying brain-dead enemies makes the combat and build decisions feel practically moot. It's a buffet. It's fun for what it is.

There are no drawbacks or benefits though, nor do factions or NPCs respond to these decisions. You may as well go to an armory and pick out weapons at random. This taking place in world of grand design ambition matters little when the world is largely inconsequential itself. All the encounters are staged. No one NPC or character notices you're life-path choices, nor your class choices or aptitudes. There are mediocre skillchecks, but nothing that says other people in this gameworld recognize the player. Imagine if Judy found out you used to be a "Corpo rat" or if you could tell her during a questline. Nope - not important here. You're just along for the ride.

Right I've tried splitting the two as best as I could have since you're kind of mixing the technical side of the narrative, which is in fact part of the gameplay, with the gameplay loops that I was alluding towards.

The way I see it the AI is complete garbage at points and there's observable tactics and other shenanigans at others, it's a mixed bag really, but that doesn't stop the gameplay from feeling satisfying.

I have yet to see open world games with good AI to begin with, I have no idea what we're comparing it to here.

The only good examples I have are F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which are fantastic in that regard, but the AI doesn't have to deal with the complexities of the gameplay in Cyberpunk, they're quite limited and straight forward.

But again the gameplay itself is up to the player, one player might find the whole thing boring since it doesn't challenge you (I felt a bit of this myself, less so after the recent patch) and others love experimentation (again myself included) which this game has an abundance of.

For example I like sticking to a class, like stealth assassin or stealth shadow, so in this respect I find it extremely challenging at points (especially the boss fights which can be completed by using stealth without actively engaging in combat).

If you're the type of player that wants the game to dictate their play style through challenge this is rather disappointing I agree.

It's more like the player dictates the gameplay and the level of challenge through specific character builds and play styles.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with your points though, I feel that there should be a decent middle ground between both but I have yet to see it in any open world game to date, which was my original point.

I've spoken that there are some effects from your actions, but nothing groundbreaking in the slightest. Nor does it tread water navigated long before.

Ex: If you kill Jotaro Shobo before the Judy questline, you can use this event as a threat against Woodman when you confront him about Evie. Cool, yeah? Imagine, some Ubi tier shit job from 2077's Preston Garvey proper had an effect on the game... However, if you kill Woodman, spare him, not arrouse a single brow nor trip one camera - Maiko knows you were at clouds and her responses and dialogue options are the same. I tested this every which way. Your options are the same. Even if you choose to threaten her, you can't do so with killing Woodman as support for your claim. She shows up for Judy's scheme, even if you threaten her with her life... What this game fails to live up to is to further iterate on what New Vegas did long ago... How you impact other characters, how they treat and react to you, and how the world changes as a consequence is 'next gen' still to this day.

Again I agree, another game has done the whole choice and consequence better, infinitely better I might add, but it blatantly fails at everything else, like the narrative, or minute to minute gameplay, or presentation or... you get the gist.

Doesn't take away from what this one accomplishes through it's presentation and the hand crafted scenes wonderfully animated that have a slight fluidity to them that is left up to the player.

I personally appreciate it even though the main beats suffer from a sort of rigidity to them, perhaps intentional due to the intended narrative and it's beats or limited by constraints (time, technology etc. - I can draw quite a few parallels here by looking at other projects and their successes and failures, mustn't have been easy).

Either way as a first go from CDPR in this direction, I applaud them, but I expect more and better in the future.

The Witcher 3 doesn't count since it's based on frame/reverse frame cutscenes as a way of relaying it's narrative beats and different outcomes to quests, which sounds like it's infinitely easier to develop than what they attempted here.

Which is why I want them to try harder next time because I believe it can be done better with more experience and the knowledge of this first iteration.

That you're reaching for 'muh story' when I'm talking about how you interact with the game world makes me feel you're trying to avoid 2077's shallow depth in this regard. It's the crutch of any game that lacks true confidence in it's utility and function; being a good video game first. If you're really so inclined to bemoan my critique - Fine. Let's go through the story and themes when I said nothing about that.

I can appreciate the story, though the lot of side quests are my jam - seriously, fuck, these are goddamn fantastic. Anyhow; this is a game we're dealing with here. It's not a movie. Movie games are tourist fantasies for people to feel like they're the star of someone else's show. I can appreciate them, I can respect them, and I understand that gamers, and RPG players specifically, would like the see that kind of artistic grandeur in a title of mechanical depth; This title is so wanting in the latter that 2077 was re-seated into the action/adventure genre. Next Gen Character Development? Sure... I suppose. Great fucking characters, very impressive work here. The character writing and acting is superb, they all feel like they belong where they are and have real depth, except for V. Well done. That's not what should carry a game though.

Partly agreed and partly disagreed here, I believe it raises a lot of questions through it's undertones, environmental and incidental story telling and also the amazing cast of characters.

As for the narrative; Sincerely, every moment this game approaches the undertones of the genre it spits them in your face as if it were waxing poetically by making a bold reference. It may be 'wow just wow' for someone who has never ventured through Greek and Renaissance or Theological philosophy on their own, but it feels sophomoric. I still appreciate the effort to educate and homage, but there are times where it feels downright patronizing. Not at one moment does the narrative say 'come hither'; it breaths down your neck and exposes itself repeatedly like a drunk pervert. I still had a good time regardless. It's not a shit game, it's not even a bad game. It's a good game that is unfortunately carried by the art(visuals, monologues, dialogue, acting, cinema, etc) from top to bottom, an increasingly worrisome development for AAA titles. It will, like other games that overly rely on these factors, be outdone in short order. There is no shortage of incredibly moving cutscenes and wowy visuals, there is a severe drought of deep mechanics though.

I sincerely believe you're misinterpreting the situation.

The original source material wasn't meant to be this high art we're holding it up to and the game claims to be nothing else than it is.

Now you may interpret it as crude and uninspiring in it's thematic choices and portrayals of the genre but it doesn't at any point pretend to be otherwise. Ultimately using this as basis for the critique towards the mundaneness of it all - use of technology, social degradation, violence, inhumanity, religion, corporate manipulation and many, many more themes which are interwoven throughout this kind of satiric-cynical type of art style and bombastic presentation, like a somewhat known Rocker Boy that's at the center of it.

And I believe it is a mistake to hold all of this up to classic, modernist, post modernistic and contemporary literature levels, even though it has a few aces up it's sleeve.

To call Deus Ex simple and bogus insults the intelligence of any player who seriously engages the work's underpinnings. Simple story, maybe. Simple narrative - not by any stretch. Human Revolution is a psychological thriller that deals with prescription medication addiction, the pitfalls and benefits of mass-congolomeration, corporate/government subterfuge, military finance for R&D that doubles for medical advancement, the ideological groundwork that girds the conflict between boot-strap 'laissez faire' and eternal-nanny bureaucratic models of governance, discrimination, and much much more. Deus EX is issue driven, 2077 is character driven. Deus Ex asks how you would deal with issue, 2077 shows you how others deal with the results of those issues and you get to tag along for the ride. I don't consider them in same ballpark and don't feel apt to compare them. Gameplay wise - Stealth/action vs Action/adventure. Nothing alike.

As for an narrative comparison between the two, seeing as you felt the need to bring it up; 2077 desperately grasped for a sliver of the nuance Deus Ex has in spades when V and Takemura are aruging as they prepare to inflitrate the Arasaka factory - it was sadly short lived and swiftly back to 'corporations ooga booga'. Perhaps it is a matter of when the two games fall on the theoretical timeline in the genre, perhaps it's the restrictions of the IP's lore, but I find 2077 in need of some nuance if we're to call it truly "mature". The people working at Arasaka, the families they try to support working there, how they feel about it themselves, or any of the other functions Arasaka might serve outside of being pricks isn't even up for discussion in 2077. They're evil and that's that.

I fully agree with this hence why I left a space between Deus Ex and the rest of them, what I called bogus was the level that Deus Ex was held up to while disregarding Cyberpunk's similar approach to depth in it's lore and world building.

Because none of those elements present in Deus Ex's world building and narrative depth are readily available to the player's understanding, what is directly shown is a mundane spy thriller with the cliche double crossings and secret society manipulations, nothing to write home about.

Everything else that was extrapolated above is buried underneath levels of narrative undertones, something we have to work out ourselves, just like Cyberpunk.

And in fact most of the genre it's derivative of.

The way I see it the AI is complete garbage at points and there's observable tactics and other shenanigans at others, it's a mixed bag really, but that doesn't stop the gameplay from feeling satisfying.
Are you referring the weapon play specifically here? I'll admit shotguns, which I'm usually not fond of, are quite satisfying in this game. Socking a fool with the gorilla arms gives me the comical outcome I'd hoped for, and the smart weapons were a surprising treat. I honestly thought I would not enjoy couching behind a supply box and playing 'lazy', but I did. Assault rifles? ...Yeah. These need some work. Blades, Bats, Katanas and Dildos? Well.... it's crap. Of course you could say FP melee is crap everywhere else. That doesn't mean a whole lot. If it's crap, get it out of there. This doesn't even approach the nightmare fuel body morphs from the character rig that even an early-access greenlight title on Steam would be roundly lambasted for.
I have yet to see open world games with good AI to begin with, I have no idea what we're comparing it to here.
True. That is true, doesn't negate the critique I'm afraid. It's especially grating when CDPR themselves hyped this, too. Repeatedly! It's barely even present when it matters.
It's more like the player dictates the gameplay and the level of challenge through specific character builds and play styles.
Sure... The level challenge doesn't really fluctuate is my point. I don't feel any more or less antagonized with the different build types. Maybe when you do the boxing mini-games it matters?

I would love to say 'Well, the game isn't finished. Let's wait until the bugs are gone so I can grade this thing..." but I can't, nor should I or anyone else. This game was released in this state, it's been patched and it still remains in a state where I can't tell when some events are a bug or a feature. Enemies tripping over bodies, me tripping over bodies, enemies seeing me through walls, some enemies not seeing me at all even when they're entirely aware and in my face, high level (enemies don't even have scored levels - you get colored icons indicating threat level and I don't remember the game even educating me about this) mercenaries appear sometimes during fire fights with a gang or in pacifica - did someone call them in? Who? If only there were a bounty system like other RPGs or even some open world action games to tell me, etc. Stack this on top of what looks like shop mannequins with guns - it's not too good overall. Somethings are great, but a lot of it's is barely passing. We may wish to tell ourselves "I see what they're going for." but we have what they gave us and that's what gets scored.
Again I agree, another game has done the whole choice and consequence better, infinitely better I might add, but it blatantly fails at everything else, like the narrative, or minute to minute gameplay, or presentation or... you get the gist.
Mmmm, choice and consequence functions in the minute-to-minute gameplay though. This is why I don't entirely discount "movie games", the implications, events, and emotional impact can weigh on your decisions and how you process the game you're playing to an extent...but does that really matter when your decisions don't have a considerable impact that lands? Compared to other story rich games, 2077 delivers a far greater game/cinema ratio than many other titles in that regard for sure.The quality of that game content is what my eyes are on. If I didn't like the game enough to care, I wouldn't even be here.

Which leads to the other issues - crafting and armor. Downright lazy. This crafting system is the worst one I've seen a game even remotely attached to the RPG genre. Perhaps you've seen worse; I haven't. It doesn't even compete with The Division, an always online looter shooter. The armor system isn't worth the effort of tearing into. Comically bad. And, of course, what you wear has no impact on enemy, ally, or NPC behavior. These issues compound over time and shouldn't be ignored. Then there's the driving! It's why, even though I like this game, I wouldn't recommend it to someone. If it were just a bad crafting system, okay... Just a bad armor system, well I can buy something when I get more money and mod it I guess. Just a poorly developed... You get this, right?

You might say game X has this fantastic feature while lacking these other things. Surely. 2077 is mark after mark after mark of lacking features and half-baked systems. Story and narrative - sure, good, yeah. The game part of this game is seriously lacking though. You may respond that it was released too early and that's why these systems are significantly underwhelming. If you were to do so; I would say these are core systems, They should have been in there before the dialogue was finished recording. Perhaps not perfected, but much more fleshed out. It doesn't even seem like stuff was tested. Hell, just about all of the NPCs in this world are clothed bodies. They're all naked people. Why? It seems like a considerable waste of CPU resources to do that when you can't strip anyone of what they are wearing or carrying. Do we even get the weapons enemies are actually using against us?? Make the Corpos and Cops badasses, like any other RPG, load them with cool gear - ya kill a badass, get to experience an awesome fight where you have your own goal in mind - his kit. Want that Scav boss's badass chest rig? Nope here's a 13.5 armor banana hammock. For heaven's sake... This is the Homer Simpson car of video games at present. I'm not happy to say that, but it's true.

For what many other RPGs/RPGlites/Action games may lack in their cinema and storytelling, as I mentioned before, they make up for in the bulk of their gameplay experience. I don't remember anything remarkable about this game outside of cinematic quest moments...Maybe the Smasher fight? The SSI agents at the end of the chase in 'Dream On'? I do remember parking my ass on a roof in Fallout while doing some quick chores and hearing raiders and mutants encounter one another dynamically though. I remember stripping a brigand naked after he tried to rob me in Oblivion on my way to join the fighters guild. I remember getting mobbed by lesser demons during an open world boss encounter and barely scrapping by in FFXV. I don't remember any specific 'encounter' in this game, there weren't ANY random encounters AT ALL - That's a problem.
The open world is an insulting lazy kabuki theater performance on the part of the design department, carried again by the artists across the board.

The best moments this game has to offer, for the most part, can be experienced on Youtube and it's not long until that limelight is stolen - possibly by several games coming just this year alone. I said possibly, because these characters are exceptionally well written and acted. Kratos is looming over the horizon though. Subjectively; I will still prefer this game's narrative, setting, themes, etc. because Cyberpunk is an easy sell to me. Sounds like you and most other people here on this forum are in the same boat.

Let's be real though, it's not a strong game in far too many regards.

Doesn't take away from what this one accomplishes through it's presentation and the hand crafted scenes wonderfully animated that have a slight fluidity to them that is left up to the player.
Yep, and I did not attack this game's narrative nor it's presentation. Top notch. That being said - it's still a video game. It's got a job to do, and it barely performs. A handful of tens in the art department managed to get this sucker into port. Hats off to them. The gameplay designers... well, seems they're about par for the course.
Which is why I want them to try harder next time because I believe it can be done better with more experience and the knowledge of this first iteration.
I do as well. It's why I'm still leaning towards... maybe... they should dump this and move on. I don't want that to happen, but I didn't want this to happen either. They fucked it. How much will it cost to fix it? What does fixing it really mean? What does "a game we're proud of" look like to them? Are enough people going to re-engage THIS title for it's expansion content when the stank is that fresh? I'm not confident honestly, and comments from the last investor call indicates they may not be either. The IP has energy and interest, that much is certain. 8 million pre-orders alone. Clearly people wanted something to do with this world. I've wanted an open world cyberpunk game for a long ass time. A lot of people have...just not this one.

Hopefully they will put the cart before the horse next time and not hype the hell out of it as well.
Partly agreed and partly disagreed here, I believe it raises a lot of questions through it's undertones, environmental and incidental story telling and also the amazing cast of characters.

I sincerely believe you're misinterpreting the situation.

The original source material wasn't meant to be this high art we're holding it up to and the game claims to be nothing else than it is.
Sure. I can see that at certain moments. I just never got the sense that I was begged to look into things outside of rare quest moments. At present, given the materials and results we have here; I think a hub world would work better. This game could be changed to work with it's open world more cohesively, but it's going to take a lot from where I see it. Maybe next time.

I'm being objective here with this.

Now to be less objective; If I could sum up the way I feel this went, again this is only my feeling, it would be what happened to the Quadra Vtech.

That was the "Cyberpunk car". The first 'gameplay' teaser, the demo many people are obsessed to harp on or pretend didn't happen, the marketing, 'Jackie's ride', it was in fucking Forza, GTAV players loved it so much that someone modelled their own to put into the game and shared it, then when this game came out it was swiftly ripped and ported into GTAV. What happened in the end? You get the car in some jerk-off gig with no notice. You can't buy it, you don't get any hints. It's a reward from some asshole for recovering his truck from 6th street... and then you find it, in a garage... and it handled like crap at launch. They certainly made sure the Arch handled well - anyone could guess why.

Last edited:
Are you referring the weapon play specifically here? I'll admit shotguns, which I'm usually not fond of, are quite satisfying in this game. Socking a fool with the gorilla arms gives me the comical outcome I'd hoped for, and the smart weapons were a surprising treat. I honestly thought I would not enjoy couching behind a supply box and playing 'lazy', but I did. Assault rifles? ...Yeah. These need some work. Blades, Bats, Katanas and Dildos? Well.... it's crap. Of course you could say FP melee is crap everywhere else. That doesn't mean a whole lot. If it's crap, get it out of there. This doesn't even approach the nightmare fuel body morphs from the character rig that even an early-access greenlight title on Steam would be roundly lambasted for.

I don't know about your experience with it all, but from where I stand and with the right upgrades and mods the SMG's at least for me and handguns in particular are incredibly satisfying to the point that I completely do not care about the shoddy AI and their shoddy animations at time and just go full berserk on them, so cathartic.

At points it got really, really close to Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal for me (which are in my opinion just pure gold when it comes to gameplay).

Likewise with the melee weapons, I was doing some crazy stuff with parkour and slides and what not.

What really brings the melee combat down is the NPC combat animations and they way they connect to the player, that stuff needs work.
True. That is true, doesn't negate the critique I'm afraid. It's especially grating when CDPR themselves hyped this, too. Repeatedly! It's barely even present when it matters.

I'm not so sure it was at all hyped beyond that fleeting mention in the beginning of the 2018 gameplay demo.

Sure... The level challenge doesn't really fluctuate is my point. I don't feel any more or less antagonized with the different build types. Maybe when you do the boxing mini-games it matters?

I found some of the boss fights pretty damned good with my specific builds (I'm including the cyberpsycho's here).

But I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of challenge in the boxing mini game, whish there was more of that

I would love to say 'Well, the game isn't finished. Let's wait until the bugs are gone so I can grade this thing..." but I can't, nor should I or anyone else. This game was released in this state, it's been patched and it still remains in a state where I can't tell when some events are a bug or a feature. Enemies tripping over bodies, me tripping over bodies, enemies seeing me through walls, some enemies not seeing me at all even when they're entirely aware and in my face, high level (enemies don't even have scored levels - you get colored icons indicating threat level and I don't remember the game even educating me about this) mercenaries appear sometimes during fire fights with a gang or in pacifica - did someone call them in? Who? If only there were a bounty system like other RPGs or even some open world action games to tell me, etc. Stack this on top of what looks like shop mannequins with guns - it's not too good overall. Somethings are great, but a lot of it's is barely passing. We may wish to tell ourselves "I see what they're going for." but we have what they gave us and that's what gets scored.

Now this is interesting, as I personally haven't had any non reactive combat AI yet in my 500 hours with the game. The tripping over bodies, it's a feature.

The supposed AI seeing you through walls, I've had this when there was a netrunner around and/or cameras and techies were involved, there seems to be a detection grid around when techies, netrunners and cameras are involved.

When enemies enter alerted state when you know for sure that you've hid all the bodies, it's again, a feature. They can detect left over weapons on the ground, I've experimented with this and that was the cause. Even cameras alert near by enemies if they detect a weapon on the ground from one of the disabled enemies.

The rest of it I agree, wish there was more to these systems and NPC hierarchy that interacts with the player character and their skill set.

Mmmm, choice and consequence functions in the minute-to-minute gameplay though. This is why I don't entirely discount "movie games", the implications, events, and emotional impact can weigh on your decisions and how you process the game you're playing to an extent...but does that really matter when your decisions don't have a considerable impact that lands? Compared to other story rich games, 2077 delivers a far greater game/cinema ratio than many other titles in that regard for sure.The quality of that game content is what my eyes are on. If I didn't like the game enough to care, I wouldn't even be here.

Sure, but again we're talking about the level of interaction one has with the story beats and the quests and gameplay combined.

For example, I've played Street Kid and Corpo through my four playthroughs, they all felt different, had different interactions (same outcome of course, some story beats are set in stone which seems to be a narrative decision - like it or hate it) and this goes as far as having, word for word,
different dialogues all together.

They felt like different V's to me, it's interesting as I believe a lot of work went into this ''non-feature'', to make it seem so seamless and linear in a way.

That's why I think the life path specific dialogue is amazing, combined with the different regular options during dialogue.
Which leads to the other issues - crafting and armor. Downright lazy. This crafting system is the worst one I've seen a game even remotely attached to the RPG genre. Perhaps you've seen worse; I haven't. It doesn't even compete with The Division, an always online looter shooter. The armor system isn't worth the effort of tearing into. Comically bad. And, of course, what you wear has no impact on enemy, ally, or NPC behavior. These issues compound over time and shouldn't be ignored. Then there's the driving! It's why, even though I like this game, I wouldn't recommend it to someone. If it were just a bad crafting system, okay... Just a bad armor system, well I can buy something when I get more money and mod it I guess. Just a poorly developed... You get this, right?

To me it doesn't seem any different from Skyrim, gather material, build stuff based on skill level, upgrade stuff based on skill level etc.

It's serviceable at best and can be massively improved even just by adding in workbenches, which is my personal gripe with it.

It should have been a feature of your home bases throughout the game.

And certain characters should have an impact on this as well, like Judy or Mitch for example.

The upgrade system works treats though, as it allows you to create certain styles for your V which is what I used it for.

Sadly it's not enforced by the gameplay and it actually relies on the player to create artificial restrictions for themselves (like insisting on wearing the starter gear through out the game).

Biggest problem is how exploitable it is, when combined with the general lack of balance in the late game it becomes a joke, I agree.

You might say game X has this fantastic feature while lacking these other things. Surely. 2077 is mark after mark after mark of lacking features and half-baked systems. Story and narrative - sure, good, yeah. The game part of this game is seriously lacking though. You may respond that it was released too early and that's why these systems are significantly underwhelming. If you were to do so; I would say these are core systems, They should have been in there before the dialogue was finished recording. Perhaps not perfected, but much more fleshed out. It doesn't even seem like stuff was tested. Hell, just about all of the NPCs in this world are clothed bodies. They're all naked people. Why? It seems like a considerable waste of CPU resources to do that when you can't strip anyone of what they are wearing or carrying. Do we even get the weapons enemies are actually using against us?? Make the Corpos and Cops badasses, like any other RPG, load them with cool gear - ya kill a badass, get to experience an awesome fight where you have your own goal in mind - his kit. Want that Scav boss's badass chest rig? Nope here's a 13.5 armor banana hammock. For heaven's sake... This is the Homer Simpson car of video games at present. I'm not happy to say that, but it's true.

I honestly believe that they had a lot of intended features cut because of time constraints due to the optimization process, the tech side of it exceeded the time frame they originally had but the licensing and release deals were already established so it led to the current situation being unable to expand the development process any further without any major long lasting financial damage.

Call it an educated guess I suppose.

For what many other RPGs/RPGlites/Action games may lack in their cinema and storytelling, as I mentioned before, they make up for in the bulk of their gameplay experience. I don't remember anything remarkable about this game outside of cinematic quest moments...Maybe the Smasher fight? The SSI agents at the end of the chase in 'Dream On'? I do remember parking my ass on a roof in Fallout while doing some quick chores and hearing raiders and mutants encounter one another dynamically though. I remember stripping a brigand naked after he tried to rob me in Oblivion on my way to join the fighters guild. I remember getting mobbed by lesser demons during an open world boss encounter and barely scrapping by in FFXV. I don't remember any specific 'encounter' in this game, there weren't ANY random encounters AT ALL - That's a problem.
The open world is an insulting lazy kabuki theater performance on the part of the design department, carried again by the artists across the board.

This is more of a you problem than a game problem I suppose.

I can easily remember many mundane strolls through the city being in absolute awe and fully immersed that naturally led to side quests and main quests that felt seamlessly integrated into the experience.

I especially remember my time spent with all of my V's driving several of the amazingly created vehicles and listening to the music after certain quests or story beats, such a good time.

The best moments this game has to offer, for the most part, can be experienced on Youtube and it's not long until that limelight is stolen - possibly by several games coming just this year alone. I said possibly, because these characters are exceptionally well written and acted. Kratos is looming over the horizon though. Subjectively; I will still prefer this game's narrative, setting, themes, etc. because Cyberpunk is an easy sell to me. Sounds like you and most other people here on this forum are in the same boat.

I whole heartedly disagree, the scene by scene stuff, yeah, but you're missing out on a lot of the context involving your own personal experience leading up to them which paints a whole different picture - it makes it yours.

From as little as creating your own personal V and getting invested in them, to doing certain missions before others creating a different contextual outcome for your own personal V.

There's a lot of nuance to it.

Like I said before, my no bs Streetkid V that befriended Johnny was substantially different than my reluctant drop-out, tired, Corpo V that hated Johnny's guts and ended up a Nomad at the end...

Yes you can see the scenes on youtube but it wouldn't convey the same experience that I had with those two characters.

Let's be real though, it's not a strong game in far too many regards.

Yup, I disagree with this.

Yep, and I did not attack this game's narrative nor it's presentation. Top notch. That being said - it's still a video game. It's got a job to do, and it barely performs. A handful of tens in the art department managed to get this sucker into port. Hats off to them. The gameplay designers... well, seems they're about par for the course.

Depends on your experience with CDPR and their history, combined with your expectations for the game, I've played every single one of their games as they were released.

Cyberpunk was par for the course, very ambitious and very flawed.

It took them three games to ''refine'' (a big FREAKING stretch here) The Witcher formula, it's going to take them a bit to refine this as well, or not who knows...

But I'm woefully unsurprised.

I do as well. It's why I'm still leaning towards... maybe... they should dump this and move on. I don't want that to happen, but I didn't want this to happen either. They fucked it. How much will it cost to fix it? What does fixing it really mean? What does "a game we're proud of" look like to them? Are enough people going to re-engage THIS title for it's expansion content when the stank is that fresh? I'm not confident honestly, and comments from the last investor call indicates they may not be either. The IP has energy and interest, that much is certain. 8 million pre-orders alone. Clearly people wanted something to do with this world. I've wanted an open world cyberpunk game for a long ass time. A lot of people have...just not this one.

Hopefully they will put the cart before the horse next time and not hype the hell out of it as well.

Whatever they decide as long as it's in favor of the franchise as a whole and for the better, I will be supportive of it, I like it when companies try to punch out of their own mold to various levels of success.

I hope they stick with it to the bitter end.

Sure. I can see that at certain moments. I just never got the sense that I was begged to look into things outside of rare quest moments. At present, given the materials and results we have here; I think a hub world would work better. This game could be changed to work with it's open world more cohesively, but it's going to take a lot from where I see it. Maybe next time.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the hub world design, but as mentioned before, I personally had a wonderful experience roaming freely between quests in a seamless world.

I wish for them to improve their tools and development pipe line so they can create some amazing living and breathing worlds.

They got the chops, it's just a bit of a mess at the moment (world wide as well) in all regards so we all collectively need to pull our shit together and do better.

I'm being objective here with this.

Now to be less objective; If I could sum up the way I feel this went, again this is only my feeling, it would be what happened to the Quadra Vtech.

That was the "Cyberpunk car". The first 'gameplay' teaser, the demo many people are obsessed to harp on or pretend didn't happen, the marketing, 'Jackie's ride', it was in fucking Forza, GTAV players loved it so much that someone modelled their own to put into the game and shared it, then when this game came out it was swiftly ripped and ported into GTAV. What happened in the end? You get the car in some jerk-off gig with no notice. You can't buy it, you don't get any hints. It's a reward from some asshole for recovering his truck from 6th street... and then you find it, in a garage... and it handled like crap at launch. They certainly made sure the Arch handled well - anyone could guess why.

HEY!

I loved that quest and the surprise I got when I found the car... meh...

I don't know about your experience with it all, but from where I stand and with the right upgrades and mods the SMG's at least for me and handguns in particular are incredibly satisfying to the point that I completely do not care about the shoddy AI and their shoddy animations at time and just go full berserk on them, so cathartic.

At points it got really, really close to Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal for me (which are in my opinion just pure gold when it comes to gameplay).

Likewise with the melee weapons, I was doing some crazy stuff with parkour and slides and what not.

What really brings the melee combat down is the NPC combat animations and they way they connect to the player, that stuff needs work.
Mmmmm, there's some truth in mentioning the Doom feeling. Speaking of Doom; The more I've thought about this, played around, mulled over the varying quests, homages, etc. I think my core gripe is that I don't feel 2077 embraces itself. The game dips it's toe in, but never dives in outside of the the story and to some degree the narrative(s) at play. So it lacks it's own identity by stanning for the genre too hard. Doom does very few things, but it does them exceptionally well. Deus Ex does ever so slightly more than the former, and has the added bonus of 'emergent gameplay', and does these things exceptionally well. There are pearls in 2077, but there's a lot of shit here, too. That shit can be removed, it can. I have no reason to believe it will though. Usually this is done, when it is done, with lessons learned and a sequel released.

I understand they operated under a premise of making "the" cyberpunk game. I think CDPR, and this game, would have been served better with a focus on making the best version of their game so that it would meme itself into becoming the cyberpunk game. I would likely be more forgiving of the litany of issues if it had it's own heart.

I'm not so sure it was at all hyped beyond that fleeting mention in the beginning of the 2018 gameplay demo.
Statements from devs. This is likely more endemic miscommunication. Like one of the senior quest designers saying people could go into just about any building. The engineers were probably working on something crazy, possibly stretching the trutch, it didn't work out and he wasn't informed (because why would he be? He's a quest guy, not a level designer or engineer), blabbed about it and it became a meme. OOPS. I'm not holding it against them too much personally, it's a big and very detailed map and I've mentioned why I think a lot of things aren't going to be implemented, but they did say these things. I don't blame people for harping on them too much either. Players do need to practice some skepticism and better temperament about this shit, but it goes right back to the salesman's door when he opens his mouth in the first place.
Now this is interesting, as I personally haven't had any non reactive combat AI yet in my 500 hours with the game. The tripping over bodies, it's a feature.
I'm not so sure given how wildly broken the physics are. As I've stated in other threads - my initial reaction was "cool, muh immersion". Remember tripping on the stairs and dying though? I do. I still will get a NPC clipped into my car...This isn't a problem itself, it happens in games sometimes...(though with odd regularity here) that is until their body stretch armstrongs or becomes an inflatable tube man - causing my car to backflip or barrel roll. This could even break a quest as, on rare occasion, placing a rescued person in the trunk could send the car flipping, clipping the NPC through the vehicle, and killing them on impact. Sometimes the game logic can't decide fast enough between a death animation or letting the physics take over; A grenade may burst an enemy into satisfying bits, but a loose NPC could start a death animation, hitch, then slump over a mere few centimeters from the epicenter of the explosion.

I also remembered that one very rare occasions, due the death animation state not surrendering to the physics at times; I get the classic 90's game experience I remember when I was a younger, and slightly less cynical bastard, of bodies hover-planking on stairs or over ledges.

The supposed AI seeing you through walls, I've had this when there was a netrunner around and/or cameras and techies were involved, there seems to be a detection grid around when techies, netrunners and cameras are involved.

When enemies enter alerted state when you know for sure that you've hid all the bodies, it's again, a feature. They can detect left over weapons on the ground, I've experimented with this and that was the cause. Even cameras alert near by enemies if they detect a weapon on the ground from one of the disabled enemies.

The rest of it I agree, wish there was more to these systems and NPC hierarchy that interacts with the player character and their skill set.
No, my guy. These aren't netrunners I'm talking about. These are rando enemies. It does not occur with the same frequency it did at launch, but it does happen. I will check out the weapons on the ground thing sometime, perhaps this was from an update and it's cool if true, but I stopped playing with a stealth build after my launch day experience.
Sure, but again we're talking about the level of interaction one has with the story beats and the quests and gameplay combined.

For example, I've played Street Kid and Corpo through my four playthroughs, they all felt different, had different interactions (same outcome of course, some story beats are set in stone which seems to be a narrative decision - like it or hate it) and this goes as far as having, word for word,
different dialogues all together.

They felt like different V's to me, it's interesting as I believe a lot of work went into this ''non-feature'', to make it seem so seamless and linear in a way.

That's why I think the life path specific dialogue is amazing, combined with the different regular options during dialogue.
I think we're simply going to agree to disagree here. We'll be going in circles otherwise.
To me it doesn't seem any different from Skyrim, gather material, build stuff based on skill level, upgrade stuff based on skill level etc.

It's serviceable at best and can be massively improved even just by adding in workbenches, which is my personal gripe with it.
Yeah. A workbench, perhaps even some lesser ones sprinkled around the world, would make the apartment feel especially useful. I get that people want some life-sim stuff, but I'm more interested in functional changes that lend themselves to the gameplay experience and immersion at the same time.

As for Skyrim...these aren't swords though. I get it, the mods are like magic being imbued onto an item, but we have plenty of reference points for how you can RPG a shooter. Fallout has no shortage of issues, but I did find myself appreciating the absurd level of weapon crafting. You could make entirely unique weapons. Stalker is certainly a more...ground variant of this. This is cyberpunk FFS; let this game go wild. Add RPGs and launchers , depleted uranium riot shields, etc. The combat isn't entirely shit, but for a game to write love letters in the side quests and some gameplay avenues it really misses on these opportunities.
I honestly believe that they had a lot of intended features cut because of time constraints due to the optimization process, the tech side of it exceeded the time frame they originally had but the licensing and release deals were already established so it led to the current situation being unable to expand the development process any further without any major long lasting financial damage.

Call it an educated guess I suppose.
I dunno. I've seen this from professional experience too many times. Feature creep, wanting to do everything 'OK' instead of a few things expectionally well (I get it, this is kind of a given with an RPG *especially when the developer tries to Golden Coral the class system* but this game hurts itself repeatedly as an RPG and is officially billed as an action game anyway...so) I honestly think it's cart before the horse, again. The armor and crafting are barely, imo, 'okay'. Nothing groundbreaking. Again, the game isn't shit, but it isn't next gen in any regard other than the art from what I can tell. It didn't even need to be. Gamers have a short memory; they could "steal" systems from other games, make moderate improvements, and be lauded for "doing the impossible", as happens often with games. This is a difficult thing to do. It's not easy, I know, but currently it feels like the bare minimum.
This is more of a you problem than a game problem I suppose.

I can easily remember many mundane strolls through the city being in absolute awe and fully immersed that naturally led to side quests and main quests that felt seamlessly integrated into the experience.

I especially remember my time spent with all of my V's driving several of the amazingly created vehicles and listening to the music after certain quests or story beats, such a good time.

I whole heartedly disagree, the scene by scene stuff, yeah, but you're missing out on a lot of the context involving your own personal experience leading up to them which paints a whole different picture - it makes it yours.
Ehhh.

:shrug:

From as little as creating your own personal V and getting invested in them, to doing certain missions before others creating a different contextual outcome for your own personal V.

There's a lot of nuance to it.

Like I said before, my no bs Streetkid V that befriended Johnny was substantially different than my reluctant drop-out, tired, Corpo V that hated Johnny's guts and ended up a Nomad at the end...

Yes you can see the scenes on youtube but it wouldn't convey the same experience that I had with those two characters.
Mmm, sure. I would've more appreciated having them as companions on quests though. This is completely lacking in the game. Again, the game serving the story more than the story serving the game. Can't let character X get killed; we have this wicked story around the corner where no one you really care about gets merked in this rotten, vile, money obsessed meat grinder of a city.
Yup, I disagree with this.
Oh well.
Depends on your experience with CDPR and their history, combined with your expectations for the game, I've played every single one of their games as they were released.

Cyberpunk was par for the course, very ambitious and very flawed.

It took them three games to ''refine'' (a big FREAKING stretch here) The Witcher formula, it's going to take them a bit to refine this as well, or not who knows...

But I'm woefully unsurprised.
First rodeo. I personally didn't think much of the hype around their DLC dispatches. People gobbled them up and praised them, I saw them for what they were. Simple fan service of afternoon developed content. It's not bad, it's nothing fancy either, but it worked! I don't hold it against them, it's more than some will deliver. The only real interest I had in them before the first Cyberpunk engine teaser at Xbox 2018 was the procedural tech demonstrations at GDC around TW3 release. I only play a game or two a year, I'm very picky and pressed for time in my personal life. Makind Divided came out around the same time, so you can guess what I was interested in.

By the way; I did not give one single fuck about the cinematic trailer from 2013 or whenever. Cinematic trailers do nothing for me because they are nothing, they are not the game, they are an absurdist version of a coke-induced car commercial. They should not have released that thing when they did, but gamers should not have gotten hyped at that point either imo. Cinematics means nothing. Really, they hadn't even produced their watershed title yet.
Whatever they decide as long as it's in favor of the franchise as a whole and for the better, I will be supportive of it, I like it when companies try to punch out of their own mold to various levels of success.

I hope they stick with it to the bitter end.
Yep.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the hub world design, but as mentioned before, I personally had a wonderful experience roaming freely between quests in a seamless world.

I wish for them to improve their tools and development pipe line so they can create some amazing living and breathing worlds.

They got the chops, it's just a bit of a mess at the moment (world wide as well) in all regards so we all collectively need to pull our shit together and do better.
We'll see. Money talks.
HEY!

I loved that quest and the surprise I got when I found the car... meh...
Quest?? It's just a gig. Grab a truck, give it to the guy, and you get this iconic car a day later. That car deserved better!

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Like one of the senior quest designers saying people could go into just about any building.
Sorry to interfere, but can you give a quote in this? I've seen this thing being listed as one of the "broken promises" so many times and all I've seen on the subject is this:

"The city of course, is not only the landmass, but also the buildings," he said. "There is a number of them that you can enter. Not all of them, but a number of them you can enter that we have prepared content for. They have levels, and you can traverse these levels in different ways. This adds a lot of space to the city, I would say."

https://gamingbolt.com/cyberpunk-2077-will-let-you-enter-a-number-of-in-game-buildings

It sounds exactly as what we ended up getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmm, there's some truth in mentioning the Doom feeling. Speaking of Doom; The more I've thought about this, played around, mulled over the varying quests, homages, etc. I think my core gripe is that I don't feel 2077 embraces itself. The game dips it's toe in, but never dives in outside of the the story and to some degree the narrative(s) at play. So it lacks it's own identity by stanning for the genre too hard. Doom does very few things, but it does them exceptionally well. Deus Ex does ever so slightly more than the former, and has the added bonus of 'emergent gameplay', and does these things exceptionally well. There are pearls in 2077, but there's a lot of shit here, too. That shit can be removed, it can. I have no reason to believe it will though. Usually this is done, when it is done, with lessons learned and a sequel released.

I understand they operated under a premise of making "the" cyberpunk game. I think CDPR, and this game, would have been served better with a focus on making the best version of their game so that it would meme itself into becoming the cyberpunk game. I would likely be more forgiving of the litany of issues if it had it's own heart.

Hell to the yeah, but we have to remember it's CDPR's first attempt which is why I'm cutting them a lot of slack, they were so freaking close yet so far...

As for the emergent gameplay you mentioned, I find it aplenty here, especially apparent in the uniquely designed combat ''arenas'' that serve as quest locations.

It's distinctly lacking in some of the set piece based linear story moments and it bothers me greatly since so much thought and work went into some of them, extra paths would have done wonders.

Statements from devs. This is likely more endemic miscommunication. Like one of the senior quest designers saying people could go into just about any building. The engineers were probably working on something crazy, possibly stretching the trutch, it didn't work out and he wasn't informed (because why would he be? He's a quest guy, not a level designer or engineer), blabbed about it and it became a meme. OOPS. I'm not holding it against them too much personally, it's a big and very detailed map and I've mentioned why I think a lot of things aren't going to be implemented, but they did say these things. I don't blame people for harping on them too much either. Players do need to practice some skepticism and better temperament about this shit, but it goes right back to the salesman's door when he opens his mouth in the first place.

I'm sure it's either gross exaggeration coming from a third party or blatant lies off reddit my friend, I can't recall any of this being mentioned officially by CDPR anywhere, and I was gobbling up every piece of information regarding the game, I was freaking hyped mate.

I'm not so sure given how wildly broken the physics are. As I've stated in other threads - my initial reaction was "cool, muh immersion". Remember tripping on the stairs and dying though? I do. I still will get a NPC clipped into my car...This isn't a problem itself, it happens in games sometimes...(though with odd regularity here) that is until their body stretch armstrongs or becomes an inflatable tube man - causing my car to backflip or barrel roll. This could even break a quest as, on rare occasion, placing a rescued person in the trunk could send the car flipping, clipping the NPC through the vehicle, and killing them on impact. Sometimes the game logic can't decide fast enough between a death animation or letting the physics take over; A grenade may burst an enemy into satisfying bits, but a loose NPC could start a death animation, hitch, then slump over a mere few centimeters from the epicenter of the explosion.

I also remembered that one very rare occasions, due the death animation state not surrendering to the physics at times; I get the classic 90's game experience I remember when I was a younger, and slightly less cynical bastard, of bodies hover-planking on stairs or over ledges.

I sincerely believe it has to do with the streaming tech, there's some weird priorities here between mesh lod levels, objects, shaders, AI scripts, physics grids it gets pretty interesting on a slow HDD.

The enemies tripping over bodies and V sometimes doing a hop animation over some bodies are both features, the player getting instagibbed by weirdly angled physics based objects like trash cans or litter bags is defo a bug which was mostly fixed through subsequent patching.

I've been running the game on an NVMe SSD since the beginning so this kind of bullshit was at a minimum or didn't happen at all, but the slower the HDD the weirder the streaming gets.

I believe it was mentioned in an interview that they really struggled to make it all work on the first gen consoles and the slow HDD combined with the slow CPU, which I believe is at the root cause of this.

Like cramming in too much filling in a sub roll, it just all goes bananas.

No, my guy. These aren't netrunners I'm talking about. These are rando enemies. It does not occur with the same frequency it did at launch, but it does happen. I will check out the weapons on the ground thing sometime, perhaps this was from an update and it's cool if true, but I stopped playing with a stealth build after my launch day experience.

Alright, I believe you, but I have not encountered it myself and I play pretty stealthily, unless it was the one of the scenarios I've mentioned before.

I think we're simply going to agree to disagree here. We'll be going in circles otherwise.

Sure, it's all to do with expectation.

Yeah. A workbench, perhaps even some lesser ones sprinkled around the world, would make the apartment feel especially useful. I get that people want some life-sim stuff, but I'm more interested in functional changes that lend themselves to the gameplay experience and immersion at the same time.

As for Skyrim...these aren't swords though. I get it, the mods are like magic being imbued onto an item, but we have plenty of reference points for how you can RPG a shooter. Fallout has no shortage of issues, but I did find myself appreciating the absurd level of weapon crafting. You could make entirely unique weapons. Stalker is certainly a more...ground variant of this. This is cyberpunk FFS; let this game go wild. Add RPGs and launchers , depleted uranium riot shields, etc. The combat isn't entirely shit, but for a game to write love letters in the side quests and some gameplay avenues it really misses on these opportunities.

I dunno. I've seen this from professional experience too many times. Feature creep, wanting to do everything 'OK' instead of a few things expectionally well (I get it, this is kind of a given with an RPG *especially when the developer tries to Golden Coral the class system* but this game hurts itself repeatedly as an RPG and is officially billed as an action game anyway...so) I honestly think it's cart before the horse, again. The armor and crafting are barely, imo, 'okay'. Nothing groundbreaking. Again, the game isn't shit, but it isn't next gen in any regard other than the art from what I can tell. It didn't even need to be. Gamers have a short memory; they could "steal" systems from other games, make moderate improvements, and be lauded for "doing the impossible", as happens often with games. This is a difficult thing to do. It's not easy, I know, but currently it feels like the bare minimum.

Oh yea, they could have done tons more with everything, sure. I really like Fallout 4 crafting results but I think the process itself is very convoluted (especially gathering all the junk you need), and I distinctly recall liking the system in Clear Sky and Call of Chernobyl, very simple and grounded but very effective and immersive.

Gun smiths and armor smiths or tailors should have been a thing, just like ripperdocs, makes no sense for V to craft everything out of their own pockets.

As for feature creep, sure it can be seen that way, but I think it would only be feature creep if it went off script.

If they had everything laid out from the pre production stage and hit a technology related snag that delayed the implementation of said features which led to a myriad of cut corners and rushed botched jobs - I wouldn't be inclined to call it feature creep.

In fact I see more signs of removed implemented features rather than crept in features if you get what I'm trying to say.

Ehhh.

:shrug:

:coolstory:

Mmm, sure. I would've more appreciated having them as companions on quests though. This is completely lacking in the game. Again, the game serving the story more than the story serving the game. Can't let character X get killed; we have this wicked story around the corner where no one you really care about gets merked in this rotten, vile, money obsessed meat grinder of a city.

Oh well.

Yup, I get it and I can see it working in a sandboxy kind of way, but I don't believe they ever intended that to begin with (out of my personal experience with CDPR, it's just not their forte).

First rodeo. I personally didn't think much of the hype around their DLC dispatches. People gobbled them up and praised them, I saw them for what they were. Simple fan service of afternoon developed content. It's not bad, it's nothing fancy either, but it worked! I don't hold it against them, it's more than some will deliver. The only real interest I had in them before the first Cyberpunk engine teaser at Xbox 2018 was the procedural tech demonstrations at GDC around TW3 release. I only play a game or two a year, I'm very picky and pressed for time in my personal life. Makind Divided came out around the same time, so you can guess what I was interested in.

By the way; I did not give one single fuck about the cinematic trailer from 2013 or whenever. Cinematic trailers do nothing for me because they are nothing, they are not the game, they are an absurdist version of a coke-induced car commercial. They should not have released that thing when they did, but gamers should not have gotten hyped at that point either imo. Cinematics means nothing. Really, they hadn't even produced their watershed title yet.

Oh yea don't get me wrong I agree with you, CDPR should have been more professional in hindsight (this is a big problem with them since The Witcher 2 when they were sending letters with legal threats to people downloading pirated copies and such, didn't go down well) and people should have tempered their expectations a bit more.

Who are we kidding, this kind of shit happens left and right, this is woefully unimpressive to me, not the hype, not the blunder, not the backlash and drama, world keeps spinning, games are still being made, they're still buggy at launch no matter the company etc.

The only way out of this was to delay the game again which was not an option for them, I believe.

Yep.

We'll see. Money talks.

Sure does...

Quest?? It's just a gig. Grab a truck, give it to the guy, and you get this iconic car a day later. That car deserved better!

That's what I meant by quest, loved it, having to infiltrate the chopshop and escape with the truck trying to not get blown up (because I went stealth and left the enemies still standing), was a fun little romp and then discovering the Quadra V-Tech at the end taking it out for a spin drifting everywhere, cool shit.

I'm sure it's either gross exaggeration coming from a third party or blatant lies off reddit my friend, I can't recall any of this being mentioned officially by CDPR anywhere, and I was gobbling up every piece of information regarding the game, I was freaking hyped mate.
No, it was in one of those dev streams. Again; I don't really give a fuck. I mention it because some people pretend some things weren't said beyond the legendary demo, like magically they never said anything again about any feature(s) and there was no hype, etc. I'm not pinning this on you, but you know what I'm talking about. I also gave my reasonings as to why such a statement didn't pan out because some people are convinced he/CDPR intentionally lied about this offhand mentioned feature. Why would he do that? That does him no good, there aren't even lulz to be had. If anything, that statement would bite him in the ass. Anyway; The idea is cool, but it doesn't serve much utility. Even getting into the details of streaming tech(a problem with this game currently) would be pointless.

I don't think he said every room in every building would be open for exploration, just people wouldn't find a place they want to go and they can't because the map is so huge - whoops. Be real; That's very open to interpretation and even in a super linear gameplay setting; players will search every damn corner. We all knows this. It's why water not having any reaction to player input, or street lights being impervious to bullets, catches the flack it does. Is the whole game totes ruined? No, but it's a basic thing everyone knows everyone inspects.

Don't mention reddit again, please. I don't do reddit. I don't do "anonymous source". From time to time I may visit a particular Mongolian basket weaving forum strictly for lulz.
I sincerely believe it has to do with the streaming tech, there's some weird priorities here between mesh lod levels, objects, shaders, AI scripts, physics grids it gets pretty interesting on a slow HDD.

The enemies tripping over bodies and V sometimes doing a hop animation over some bodies are both features, the player getting instagibbed by weirdly angled physics based objects like trash cans or litter bags is defo a bug which was mostly fixed through subsequent patching.

I've been running the game on an NVMe SSD since the beginning so this kind of bullshit was at a minimum or didn't happen at all, but the slower the HDD the weirder the streaming gets.

I believe it was mentioned in an interview that they really struggled to make it all work on the first gen consoles and the slow HDD combined with the slow CPU, which I believe is at the root cause of this.

Like cramming in too much filling in a sub roll, it just all goes bananas.
C'mon, now. Don't make me whip out my specs. It's not my hardware. I mentioned it didn't happen with regularity as well, but it does happen and I ain't seen anywhere else ever. That doesn't mean it's never happened, I just have not seen anything else like it myself.
Oh yea, they could have done tons more with everything, sure. I really like Fallout 4 crafting results but I think the process itself is very convoluted (especially gathering all the junk you need), and I distinctly recall liking the system in Clear Sky and Call of Chernobyl, very simple and grounded but very effective and immersive.

Gun smiths and armor smiths or tailors should have been a thing, just like ripperdocs, makes no sense for V to craft everything out of their own pockets.
Sure, collecting garbage sucks but you do that here too so... meh. Really, what am I supposed to Macguyver with 200 packs of cards and cigarette butts? My point was conjoined parts. There are already components and materials, this is just dull fluff. At least necklaces are worth something. My point about Fallout was was you can make your own weapons practically. MGSV allowed for some nutty shit here too, like silenced rocket launchers.

The weapons in this game are detailed as hell. The full count of rounds are actually in the magazines, the interior of slides and barrels are there; it's crazy they didn't exploit all that hard work. Uppers/Lowers/Grips/Stocks/Canted Rails/Ported Barrels/Flared Magwells - this is before you even consider bullshit sci-fi stuff. ooooohhh I'm having an orgasm imagining what kind of guns could be built. Then perhaps you keep the "iconic" weapons as they are, as per usual in an RPG; allow for just a sight/scope and some magic mods and make those gun much harder to acquire and much more powerful. It's seriously frustrating that upgrades are practically useless until you've maxed out, especially when you get a sweet legendary iconic.

As for feature creep, sure it can be seen that way, but I think it would only be feature creep if it went off script.
Feature creep is the leading cause of cut content and unfinished features. That's what I'm talking about precisely.
The only way out of this was to delay the game again which was not an option for them, I believe.
Seems like it. Marcin threw himself on the sword, so publicly he gets the stick. I'm not confident in the public sentiment that this was "JuSt FOr HoLidAY SALES!!11!". I don't buy it. It's plausible, but I'm not sold that's the primary reason.
That's what I meant by quest, loved it, having to infiltrate the chopshop and escape with the truck trying to not get blown up (because I went stealth and left the enemies still standing), was a fun little romp and then discovering the Quadra V-Tech at the end taking it out for a spin drifting everywhere, cool shit.
They massacred my boy's intro is all I'm saying. He deserved better than that. Of course, I have differing ideas for how they could've handled the car system in the game. Is what it is.

Last edited:
No, it was in one of those dev streams. Again; I don't really give a fuck. I mention it because some people pretend some things weren't said beyond the legendary demo, like magically they never said anything again about any feature(s) and there was no hype, etc. I'm not pinning this on you, but you know what I'm talking about. I also gave my reasonings as to why such a statement didn't pan out because some people are convinced he/CDPR intentionally lied about this offhand mentioned feature. Why would he do that? That does him no good, there aren't even lulz to be had. If anything, that statement would bite him in the ass. Anyway; The idea is cool, but it doesn't serve much utility. Even getting into the details of streaming tech(a problem with this game currently) would be pointless.

This is absurd, surely.

Like I said I followed the official youtube channel leading up to the release and I cannot recall anything like this, I remember them gushing over how detailed the whole city was but the rest of it sounds absurd to me.

I also remember articles mistranslating foreign interviews as well, fun times...

I don't think he said every room in every building would be open for exploration, just people wouldn't find a place they want to go and they can't because the map is so huge - whoops. Be real; That's very open to interpretation and even in a super linear gameplay setting; players will search every damn corner. We all knows this. It's why water not having any reaction to player input, or street lights being impervious to bullets, catches the flack it does. Is the whole game totes ruined? No, but it's a basic thing everyone knows everyone inspects.

Oh sure, sounds plausible but I don't think this is anything to harp on here, those were the cut corners I mentioned before.

They seem to have really struggled to get this thing working on lesser hardware like they originally intended.

Don't mention reddit again, please. I don't do reddit. I don't do "anonymous source". From time to time I may visit a particular Mongolian basket weaving forum strictly for lulz.

Same, there's a distinct pattern on reddit, drama, karma farming, this is it.

The length some people go to for such things it's amusing to me.

C'mon, now. Don't make me whip out my specs. It's not my hardware. I mentioned it didn't happen with regularity as well, but it does happen and I ain't seen anywhere else ever. That doesn't mean it's never happened, I just have not seen anything else like it myself.

You're missing the point, the root cause of such bugs is related to the streaming tech which suffers on slower HDD's and certain AMD CPU's (Xbox and Playstation API's made by AMD, coincidence?) this wasn't a me saying my hardware is bigger than yours thing.

I believe you, all the other software works fine on your setup and it's just Cyberpunk acting up, it's plausible under very specific circumstances.

I keep a very clean house when it comes to my gaming rig, I don't use it for anything else than light browsing and gaming, I use no intrusive software running in the background and I tend to do general maintenance about once a month or when something breaks (like me trying to fix Skyrim LE's stuttering - which is never going to go away but I'm stubborn like that - by almost bricking my Windows installation messing with the paging file and registry).

I've had exactly one crash with the game since the beginning which happened while the game was being patch during my playtime.

I've had a million small glitches like NPC's walking through stuff, mouths not animating, physics glitches, getting stuck on things and traffic and pedestrian AI being absolute garbage but that's about it.

The rest of it I put it up to just being janky, like they way NPC's drive when you're in a car with them or how certain scenes have their assets and scripts railroaded in (for example the whole chase sequence after you rescue Saul from the Wraiths) it's amateurish design.

Sure, collecting garbage sucks but you do that here too so... meh. Really, what am I supposed to Macguyver with 200 packs of cards and cigarette butts? My point was conjoined parts. There are already components and materials, this is just dull fluff. At least necklaces are worth something. My point about Fallout was was you can make your own weapons practically. MGSV allowed for some nutty shit here too, like silenced rocket launchers.

The weapons in this game are detailed as hell. The full count of rounds are actually in the magazines, the interior of slides and barrels are there; it's crazy they didn't exploit all that hard work. Uppers/Lowers/Grips/Stocks/Canted Rails/Ported Barrels/Flared Magwells - this is before you even consider bullshit sci-fi stuff. ooooohhh I'm having an orgasm imagining what kind of guns could be built. Then perhaps you keep the "iconic" weapons as they are, as per usual in an RPG; allow for just a sight/scope and some magic mods and make those gun much harder to acquire and much more powerful. It's seriously frustrating that upgrades are practically useless until you've maxed out, especially when you get a sweet legendary iconic.

Yes mate, I agree with you, there should have been more, what wouldn't I have given to have had this game stay in development another couple of years and maybe a few more experienced technicians at the helm.

Feature creep is the leading cause of cut content and unfinished features. That's what I'm talking about precisely.

In some instances, of course, but I sincerely do not believe that this was the case here.

I honestly thing that they had at least attempted to have these systems in place (like pursuit AI, traffic AI and pedestrian AI) but they hit a wall when it came to asset and scripts streaming and culling on different hardware setups.

So those things got the axe in favor of something more rudimentary that can be streamed in and culled at will without breaking whole swaths other systems.

That was just an example but I believe that there are many more of those, like wall running and hacking.

I think they had everything planned out but they hit significant technological barriers at every potential milestone, especially since they were also building the tools and the tech as they were going along by the sounds of it.

Which indeed in itself can lead to feature creep.

We're both just speculating here though, such fun.

Seems like it. Marcin threw himself on the sword, so publicly he gets the stick. I'm not confident in the public sentiment that this was "JuSt FOr HoLidAY SALES!!11!". I don't buy it. It's plausible, but I'm not sold that's the primary reason.

Same here.

They massacred my boy's intro is all I'm saying. He deserved better than that. Of course, I have differing ideas for how they could've handled the car system in the game. Is what it is.

I understand, likewise I have a few ideas regarding the shoddy implementation of the whole vehicle acquisition thing.

Like dealers, or having to go visit the fixer in person and they have a garage that gets updated with new vehicles to buy after V completes more and more jobs for them etc.

This is absurd, surely.

Like I said I followed the official youtube channel leading up to the release and I cannot recall anything like this, I remember them gushing over how detailed the whole city was but the rest of it sounds absurd to me.

I also remember articles mistranslating foreign interviews as well, fun times...
Here you go. 25:55 if the link doesn't time properly. Patrick K Mills - City Scale
I don't know why you are so defensive about this. You're going to rile me up. I said I don't care if it's a feature or not personally, but he said this. There are establishments, unique establishments, that cannot be entered. That doesn't mean you should be able to go into every building, but you would assume from the history of open world titles, especially staged in contemporary times, there would be more than just the locations serving the player's combat abilities that you can enter and entertain yourself with. More strip clubs than Dicky fucking Twister would certainly be fitting and absolutely welcome. In this video, the player walks up to a club right next to Misty's, it's begging to be entered. There are entire areas of the map that are unfinished. It's not meant to be that way, they are unfinished. The Casino in NorthOak is unfinished. Entire sections of Pacifica are not open to exploration. This isn't for lore purposes, they're just not there.

EDIT: To be clear. I didn't follow all the media for this game. I didn't see the bulk of media, night city wires, dev streams, trailers for... well everything from photomode to music, until after the game launched so I could figure out what happened and why people were so unhappy. I had my own gripes, they're largely the same today because they are objective. I like this game, but it's not great. It's okay to like a piece of media a recognize it has deep flaws. I didn't have some pie in the sky idea of the game, just some reasonable expectations. So when I bring up Quest guy making this statement and then conjur a nuanced explanation for what I think happened - it's just that. My thoughts. I don't care about entering all of the buildings... though I do be wanting titty bars and brothels.
You're missing the point, the root cause of such bugs is related to the streaming tech which suffers on slower HDD's and certain AMD CPU's (Xbox and Playstation API's made by AMD, coincidence?) this wasn't a me saying my hardware is bigger than yours thing.
I got that. I was making a point that I don't have an HDD. I have one of the biggest hardwares around, and I would imagine many of the people still around the forums these days do as well. It's not that I think it's not my hardware, I know it's not my hardware. This is a workstation that I assembled and maintain. It runs anything because I need to be able to do anything. It's how I make my living. It's a clean PC. The only reason I play games on it is because it wouldn't be frugal to drop thousands on another station just for 'vidya'.

Yeah, I agree it would work worse on HDDs, but there are problems with the game's streaming system at present for everyone regardless of whether they encounter physics issues. If that is the cause for these strange physics issues - okay. I don't see how streaming impacts physics wackiness occurring 1 meter in front of me, then again there are assets in my game that disappear as I get closer to them (parking meters) and reinstalling it did not solve this. The game is broken. No reason to argue about it really. It is what it is.
In some instances, of course, but I sincerely do not believe that this was the case here.

I honestly thing that they had at least attempted to have these systems in place (like pursuit AI, traffic AI and pedestrian AI) but they hit a wall when it came to asset and scripts streaming and culling on different hardware setups.

So those things got the axe in favor of something more rudimentary that can be streamed in and culled at will without breaking whole swaths other systems.

That was just an example but I believe that there are many more of those, like wall running and hacking.

I think they had everything planned out but they hit significant technological barriers at every potential milestone, especially since they were also building the tools and the tech as they were going along by the sounds of it.

Which indeed in itself can lead to feature creep.

We're both just speculating here though, such fun.
Pretty much. I think game day peaked over the horizon and the main menu wouldn't probably even load on last gen consoles and then someone said "oh fuck." It was announced and touted for last gen though. So it obviously wasn't specced to hardware, which is why I would say there's something resembling feature creep at least, maybe they just forgot. Oops. Previous gen doesn't even have running Ncart cabins to reduce frametime last I heard, dunno if it's true. it wouldn't be a surprise when a couple of cars and a handful of NPCs on screen sends the framerate through the floor.

I don't think it was the primary cause here per se, but it often is across the industry. It's just an endemic thing. I've mentioned what I think happened given the evidence of systems that did exist before, all the way up to hard copies shipped back in September/October that had stuff now missing. Game studios are run and operated by people, game production is often a rolling train wreck that comes together at the last minute. Even a mediocre game making it to market is an achievement.

Hell, people get the impression that it's just a meat packing plant, and they do try to get a process like this down, but look at EA Dice's latest entry into Battlefield. After thoroughly degrading a once respected, historically authentic, "realistic" shooter, they finally put out a turd so broken, misdirected, and unpolished that more people are playing the previous entry, which they also hated, more than this one... because it doesn't even work most of the time apparently. I hope they finally killed it. I used to love that series, and it's not even pale imitation anymore. Stop the misery.
Same here.

I understand, likewise I have a few ideas regarding the shoddy implementation of the whole vehicle acquisition thing.

Like dealers, or having to go visit the fixer in person and they have a garage that gets updated with new vehicles to buy after V completes more and more jobs for them etc.
Yeah, if they're just going keep what's here in place(most certainly likely); Maybe a dialogue addition that these are "washed titles" could make sense of it. Right now it's just odd. I would have preferred you can maintain no more than once car and one bike, you can still jack cars if you need to, and customize them to be useful for missions or just for style(which might also impact gameplay)...but that brings a helluva lot more challenges, even to most aspects of already existing gameplay, if you're to turn them into legit mechanics. It's rather absurd a fixer gets possession of an Aerondight and then offers to sell it to you... Aren't there only a handful of them in this world?

Last edited:
Nope, it's on Microsoft. PS4 Fattie at least has improved streaming performance when external SSD is used via USB. Disc controller I/O is bottlenecking Xbox and One X in streaming performance as swapping even internal drive to SSD don't improve streaming performance, even though it does improve loading times. This is by design.

There's worth a note, that top while top hardware PC space is what gets lot's of headlines, it's not hardware most people have. One place to check what people actually have used to be Steam Hardware survey as it gives a picture what kind of hardware average people playing games have. Developing very expensive title like CP 2077, including lot's writing, voice acting, design work etc. investment that costs remains, even though coding work were been for higher hardware requirements. For budget of CP 2077 selling it only to next generation hardware in PC and console space would have been economical suicide.

Here you go. 25:55 if the link doesn't time properly. Patrick K Mills - City Scale
There's not much context included but for me he appears to be referring to multiple ways to get access to locations player needs to get into, to progress in story. I don't see any connection to inability to enter random buildings like streamer tries to do in video.

But really, what is so fascinating in there? How would that contribute to world building or whatever in a way that game doesn't achieve all ready. Say they would make every garage accessible, they would be just collection to identical locations for every practical purpose.

For nigh clubs, I don't know what player could learn from random nigh club that isn't available already?

It's funny how this thing rolls in my head like, say CDPR would do that, and then it would be like "But are all so similar with just different graphical assets!"

Related to main topic: What I'm thinking, about bit over a year and I think 6 months or so after my latest playthrough are things CDPR could explore more, things from human history, consequences of socio-economical immobility, though there's a lot about that in game already, gangs for example are one.

Other thing, a bit related to first one is missed opportunities by my part and others in numerous discussions about what the cyberpunk (genre) is all about, where I don't think there ever was a discussion about how homo-sapiens being social beings, our advantage being ability to form communities which also means there has always been a system and there will be, which reinforces the point to understand our history and think what we actually wish for. Game absolutely creates opportunities for that in general and in detailed point could be the Night Citizens and the Aldecaldos for example.

Not bad from work of fiction, not bad at all.

There's not much context included but for me he appears to be referring to multiple ways to get access to locations player needs to get into, to progress in story. I don't see any connection to inability to enter random buildings like streamer tries to do in video.

But really, what is so fascinating in there? How would that contribute to world building or whatever in a way that game doesn't achieve all ready. Say they would make every garage accessible, they would be just collection to identical locations for every practical purpose.

For nigh clubs, I don't know what player could learn from random nigh club that isn't available already?

It's funny how this thing rolls in my head like, say CDPR would do that, and then it would be like "But are all so similar with just different graphical assets!"
It's just tiresome at this point. Consider reading the preceeding thread for 'context'. I don't give a good damn about entering all the buildings and I'm not going to prostrate myself over some comment no one will admit exists or let go of. He didn't believe the man said such things and I was only providing the video I saw.

It's just tiresome at this point. Consider reading the preceeding thread for 'context'. I don't give a good damn about entering all the buildings and I'm not going to prostrate myself over some comment no one will admit exists or let go of. He didn't believe the man said such things and I was only providing the video I saw.
Tiresome, oh how true is that. But I actually did read the topic and I just don't see how it supports anything said in here without context where Mill said that. It was clearly cut from something else, that looks like to me more main job and GIG related than anything you have been posting in this topic.

I don't really care about your goals, but to the point where they don't align with mine, which is how would such feature enhance user experience. I tried to think about that but can't really come up with anything that's interesting. There was discussion about this months ago and my observation then was that V doesn't appear to have washing machine in V's apartment and if there are laundromats in Night City and some user had seen them in game, so as far I'm concerned bases that I can think are even remotely relevant to world building are covered.

Things like urban exploration and that I could get but I really see that being more about something that belongs to suggestions.

One year with Cyberpunk 2077 and production. There's something very important one forum user found few months ago and that left me wondering certain past discussions, how people didn't actually play the game, and said perks weren't working, yet most were fixed and then my playthroughs, latest where I didn't even max any skill and discussion before that where it was said that games today are just so huge that it had come part of standard process for bugs to be found via user input. My conclusion is that, while using dedicated beta testers / focus groups is added expense, they are still needed as such cycles that happened here can lead to situation where reliable data cannot be gathered based from user input and impact of that can be frustrating to end user. In the end, our goal is to enjoy to product though I appreciate topics discussing about bugs and enhancing features, there's only so much that should be practically outsourced like that.

Fookin hell bro, all that over that fleeting comment that doesn't even say what you're claiming it said?

Could have sworn you were going to post crowbcat's video, pretty much every person that has had unrealistic expectations has that video as a basis.

I'm sorry mate, but he literally did not say that they've had every building explorable nor the fact that you will never encounter a locked door.

This is the beauty of that video he takes things out of context and stiches them together to make it seem worse than it is.

But hey bro, let's pretend he said what you thought he said and just move on.

This is absurdly ridiculous.

I got that. I was making a point that I don't have an HDD. I have one of the biggest hardwares around, and I would imagine many of the people still around the forums these days do as well. It's not that I think it's not my hardware, I know it's not my hardware. This is a workstation that I assembled and maintain. It runs anything because I need to be able to do anything. It's how I make my living. It's a clean PC. The only reason I play games on it is because it wouldn't be frugal to drop thousands on another station just for 'vidya'.

Yeah, I agree it would work worse on HDDs, but there are problems with the game's streaming system at present for everyone regardless of whether they encounter physics issues. If that is the cause for these strange physics issues - okay. I don't see how streaming impacts physics wackiness occurring 1 meter in front of me, then again there are assets in my game that disappear as I get closer to them (parking meters) and reinstalling it did not solve this. The game is broken. No reason to argue about it really. It is what it is.

Don't think raw power matters, mate, it's a combination of everything, including chip manufacturers (referring to Samsung or Micron here) and the kind of software you have running in the background.

The whole physics thing is a streaming logic problem, there seems to be some weird priorities, like some shaders taking priority over LOD and vice versa (like driving fast doesn't allow the street lamps to load in etc.) and I think the physics is one of these issues, like it doesn't get applied until after the object loaded in and is already interacting with the surroundings (like bodies that start jerking around because the ragdoll was applied too late and now it's clipping through the floor mesh).

Maybe it's not the physics and just the mesh calculations that are out of whack and the whole physics thing is just a side effect.

No idea, I'm no dev...

Pretty much. I think game day peaked over the horizon and the main menu wouldn't probably even load on last gen consoles and then someone said "oh fuck." It was announced and touted for last gen though. So it obviously wasn't specced to hardware, which is why I would say there's something resembling feature creep at least, maybe they just forgot. Oops. Previous gen doesn't even have running Ncart cabins to reduce frametime last I heard, dunno if it's true. it wouldn't be a surprise when a couple of cars and a handful of NPCs on screen sends the framerate through the floor.

I don't think it was the primary cause here per se, but it often is across the industry. It's just an endemic thing. I've mentioned what I think happened given the evidence of systems that did exist before, all the way up to hard copies shipped back in September/October that had stuff now missing. Game studios are run and operated by people, game production is often a rolling train wreck that comes together at the last minute. Even a mediocre game making it to market is an achievement.

Definitely, I've seen it happen countless of times before and by Gods it's always to some of my favorite franchises, Mass Effect, Fallout, Halo etc.

It's a shame, but I suppose it's the nature of the beast, you can't always predict everything from pre-production stage (unless you've got a crystal ball like Rockstar called RAGE and thousands of people that work on said crystal ball) so when things take a turn feature creep... well... creeps in and the projects get delayed.
Hell, people get the impression that it's just a meat packing plant, and they do try to get a process like this down, but look at EA Dice's latest entry into Battlefield. After thoroughly degrading a once respected, historically authentic, "realistic" shooter, they finally put out a turd so broken, misdirected, and unpolished that more people are playing the previous entry, which they also hated, more than this one... because it doesn't even work most of the time apparently. I hope they finally killed it. I used to love that series, and it's not even pale imitation anymore. Stop the misery.

I mean Ubisoft is as close to packaging meat as development goes, same engine and same gameplay design philosophy for absolute decades now.

I'm surprised it worked out so well for them, I really am, and I actually quite enjoyed AC Odyssey even though I know it's just like the others and incredibly bloated with pointless half baked stuff.

Yeah, if they're just going keep what's here in place(most certainly likely); Maybe a dialogue addition that these are "washed titles" could make sense of it. Right now it's just odd. I would have preferred you can maintain no more than once car and one bike, you can still jack cars if you need to, and customize them to be useful for missions or just for style(which might also impact gameplay)...but that brings a helluva lot more challenges, even to most aspects of already existing gameplay, if you're to turn them into legit mechanics. It's rather absurd a fixer gets possession of an Aerondight and then offers to sell it to you... Aren't there only a handful of them in this world?

I know, pisses me off that such an opportunity was missed here, even more so because the cars themselves are so well made and beautifully designed just to have them dumped into the world like that.

A travesty.
Post automatically merged:

Nope, it's on Microsoft. PS4 Fattie at least has improved streaming performance when external SSD is used via USB. Disc controller I/O is bottlenecking Xbox and One X in streaming performance as swapping even internal drive to SSD don't improve streaming performance, even though it does improve loading times. This is by design.

They both suffer from slow SATA II connections which limits the bandwidth of the SSD regardless, I'm sure they both use USB 2.0 as well which further limits the SSD transfer capabilities if it's external.

Although I've read a few reports that the streaming issue is slightly better on the old consoles with and SSD involved.

But take it with a grain of salt as I don't have first hand knowledge here.

Last edited:
Fookin hell bro, all that over that fleeting comment that doesn't even say what you're claiming it said?

Could have sworn you were going to post crowbcat's video, pretty much every person that has had unrealistic expectations has that video as a basis.

I'm sorry mate, but he literally did not say that they've had every building explorable nor the fact that you will never encounter a locked door.

This is the beauty of that video he takes things out of context and stiches them together to make it seem worse than it is.

But hey bro, let's pretend he said what you thought he said and just move on.

This is absurdly ridiculous.
I didn't care and still don't, but you kept badgering me about it is all. The crux of this was that he shouldn't have said that. I mentioned that gamers were in the wrong as well. I'm not 'ooga booga CDPR' like you're behaving. The media exaggeration. Fuck yeah, of course they do. All media does this, even the media that says it's 'not like those other' media. I only referenced that video because I don't know what stream it's specifically from.
Don't think raw power matters, mate, it's a combination of everything, including chip manufacturers (referring to Samsung or Micron here) and the kind of software you have running in the background.

The whole physics thing is a streaming logic problem, there seems to be some weird priorities, like some shaders taking priority over LOD and vice versa (like driving fast doesn't allow the street lamps to load in etc.) and I think the physics is one of these issues, like it doesn't get applied until after the object loaded in and is already interacting with the surroundings (like bodies that start jerking around because the ragdoll was applied too late and now it's clipping through the floor mesh).

Maybe it's not the physics and just the mesh calculations that are out of whack and the whole physics thing is just a side effect.

No idea, I'm no dev...
I get ya now. Yeah. I'm not sure what's happening exactly either. If you plow through a sizable crowd; It's not uncommon you'll see at least one NPC stretch out- bend-and then wizz into the distance like a rubber band. If your vehicle hasn't flipped over before that.
Definitely, I've seen it happen countless of times before and by Gods it's always to some of my favorite franchises, Mass Effect, Fallout, Halo etc.

It's a shame, but I suppose it's the nature of the beast, you can't always predict everything from pre-production stage (unless you've got a crystal ball like Rockstar called RAGE and thousands of people that work on said crystal ball) so when things take a turn feature creep... well... creeps in and the projects get delayed.
I think a clear example of something that's not a useless feature, but grasping beyond reach would be the GI system. If it weren't broken(I'll grant, and personally think, there could be any number of reasons for this) it would look stunning. Perhaps this is the best it can look. Ewww. Jiggering the Json didn't do anything beneficial, and I could only gleam scarce clues from the massive archive dedicated to it. If it weren't the way it is; it would be the most gorgeous GI system to date. That's not what happened though.

If you check out Mafia Definitive Edition; It has an internal path tracing GI system. A very good near/far AO system, and it uses SSIL for interior bounce. Does it have problems? Yeah. The denoising is obvious in low light situations, sometimes the diffuse lighting needs a second to calculate, the system bleeds at certain distances, etc. It works though, it's beautiful, and *importantly* it's cheap(you can adjust the setting yourself as well). I can't say for certain CDPR should have done something like this, but I feel like it would have been less a challenge for the technical artists and other engineers... and it would work. CDPR has several hundred employees, while the Mafia guys are a AA developer these days. Its not wild to conclude CDPR probably could've made a system such as this more perfect, now they'll have to try to perfect what's here instead. I dig it though. If they can get it to work right, that would be spectacular.

Mafia is a fairly decent game by the way. It is a 'movie' game, it's very linear, but I enjoyed it. It's not a simple reskin of the classic either, it's a proper and well made remake. I'm impressed. You can even adjust the difficulty of police and driving also. One is gamey simple while the other is 'simulation' quality. Drive erratically - a witness may call the police, or the police may see it; On your ass. Run a signal or sign in front of them? On your ass. Speeding in front of them. On your ass. Police will arrive at the scene they're called to, if they don't have a description you can even drive/walk beyond them. If you stick around and make yourself obvious, like waving a gun around, they're on you. The stealth was surprisingly functional for a not stealth themed game. Ai ain't that bad, too - It's not fear or stalker, but nothing is, and we're yet to see if even Stalker 2 will live up to it's lineage.
I mean Ubisoft is as close to packaging meat as development goes, same engine and same gameplay design philosophy for absolute decades now.

I'm surprised it worked out so well for them, I really am, and I actually quite enjoyed AC Odyssey even though I know it's just like the others and incredibly bloated with pointless half baked stuff.
Yeah, I stopped after II. I rented Unity but didn't have a chance to play it then just bugged out. I picked up the Unity/Origin bundle recently for 8 bucks. Gonna check them out here in a bit.
I know, pisses me off that such an opportunity was missed here, even more so because the cars themselves are so well made and beautifully designed just to have them dumped into the world like that.

A travesty.
Yep, these cars are beautiful. I certainly get why you would want everyone to see them and find one, or two, or ten of them to own and love. I can't even say my idea would work, or be good, it would probably be a gameplay tangent that gets panned because it's complex mini-game itself. I'm just farting in the wind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom