40 hours in and I too have never seen rain outside of specific missions. Tested with time skipping and here are the results.

+
After being bummed out that there's nothing but sunny days in a cyberpunk game, yet a dynamic weather system was advertised, I checked online and saw a ton of threads on reddit, this forum and similar comments under youtube videos with rain. Yet I saw some people having confirmed it has rained for them, albeit super rarely, and some had the "yellow weather" (don't know what that's called).

What surprised me was a topic here where somebody asked for reduction of the rain - which sounds as if it's bugged and it's raining too much. Here is the thread - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/reduce-rain-frequency.11045957 .

I should mention that I often see soaked streets in my game, but NEVER actual rain. Water on the street... just appears. Quite weird.

Also there was a mission (with Judy - act 2) that ends with rain, I went outside, saved, reloaded, rain was gone, clear weather instead no matter how much I reloaded. Even re-saved, went outside, rinse and repeat - rain is always gone. Asked friends (all on PC) and they confirmed the same, one of them had random rain during gameplay, he reloaded the save and confirmed the rain disappears even if it has naturally occurred (i.e. outside of a scripted situation).

So I decided to see if I can force anything but sunny days with time skipping. At first tried with 6-hour skips, but to make more drastic changes I started skipping by a factor of 18 to 20 hours.

Reading the settings carefully I thought it might have to do with DLSS - after it's a system for better framerate, and weather in video games is usually taxing, sunny clear days are the easiest for the hardware to crunch. If my specs matter I am on a i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM, SSD, nVidia 2070S, playing on the Medium Ray-Tracing preset with only the FOV changed to 95.

So at first I turned off DLSS. I stood in one place and after skipping the equivalent of ~14 ingame days I finally got he "yellow weather" and it was raining:

Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2020.12.18 - 00.52.42.55.png

(Rain drops visible agains the darker parts of the image, look around the bridge on the left.)

One thing I noticed is this weather was over within a minute. I had saved immediately upon seeing this, after some free roaming I reloaded it -- yep, rain gone again and it loads with clear weather.

Stood in the same spot and turned on DLSS to see if that allowed for the weather change. After another ~16 in-game days I did manage to trigger the rain... and it AGAIN cleared within 1 minute and upon reloading was gone.

Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2020.12.18 - 00.58.14.17.png

And just to throw in some other people's experiences:

1608281399776.png

1608280954994.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kbfk1a
1608281477528.png

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091500/discussions/0/2988665684330344938/

1608281539281.png

Source:

Personal opinion:
As much as I love the game, this is the only thing that breaks my immersion. Not even the spawning 2 m behind your back cops break it that much. The few times I have seen different weather it has been SO BEAUTIFUL and I'd love to explore the city in different weather conditions, but even when it's artificially enforced as in my experiments, it is gone far too quickly. And I have seen people say "oh it's just a screen filter" -- I honestly do not care if it's just that as for now. I see that drops don't make splashes on the ground and I can live without it if that's not in your future patch/fix plans.

But having the same day every single day?

Yeah that breaks the fantastic atmosphere for me.

Hope the CDPR staff gets a good holiday and the respective payments and bonuses because this is clearly a super ambitions title that on good hardware absolutely delivers, but I hope the weather gets fixed as soon as CDPR are ready to put in some more work.

* Edit: if you're having rain, could you please share what platform you're on and if it's PC - what settings? I'm trying to determine if a certain setting is causing this odd weather rate.

Last edited:
This one's a bit weird for me specifically coz for me it's basically been raining half the time and I've gotten the acid rain like 5x and general fog like 8x so far.

Interesting, could you share what you're playing on? If it's PC, do you have anything turned off? Asking to see if maybe a certain setting weirdly affect this game system i.e. the weather.

I've definitely had rain outside of scripted missions. Not very often, but certainly enough times to remember. I don't think I've ever seen acid rain or the yellow fog though. Cool that that is there somewhere.

I'm on PC so maybe another console issue?

I also very rarely see rain. And yeah, when it rains it usually feels like it's scripted into a mission. Maybe just my imagination.
You'd think in a cyberpunk themed game it would be raining at least 50% of the time.

On a side note: This game needs NPCs to carry umbrellas when it rains. Seriously.

I've definitely had rain outside of scripted missions. Not very often, but certainly enough times to remember. I don't think I've ever seen acid rain or the yellow fog though. Cool that that is there somewhere.

I'm on PC so maybe another console issue?

PC here, and as mentioned in the original post another friend on PC has never seen rain in the open. I don't have any info about the rain rate on consoles though, would be good if somebody could share their experience about that.

Interesting, could you share what you're playing on? If it's PC, do you have anything turned off? Asking to see if maybe a certain setting weirdly affect this game system i.e. the weather.
I've had pretty much every weather effect possible in a week (in game time).Sometimes one followed immediately by another.I think the rarest thing I've seen are dust storms (got maybe 5 outside of missions).I'm playing on PC btw.

Edit: Added my settings.

Attachments

• Set.PNG
    Set.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
It may just be an extremely low randomized chance. I'm playing on PC with a mix of medium, high, and some low settings using Digital Foundry's recommended FPS Guide, and I've experienced rain. Though I'm outside walking around exploring the city on foot most of the time. I rarely ever fast travel.

I have a 10600k, 16GB of 3200mhz DDR4, and a GTX 1660 ti playing on a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD.

Keep in mind the planet is dying, almost completely destroyed by climate change, war, and pollution, and the fact that it naturally does not rain often in California, anyways. (I lived in California for 12 years, and we only got rain once or twice a year for a few weeks around Autumn.)

A lot of the time the game roads and everything will look wet in my game like it's been raining but it never rained. I've had a few light rains but I haven't experienced a thunder storm yet. I kind of wish this game had a calendar so I could see how many days had passed in my game. I have no concept of time in the game other than night and day. Maybe there's a rainy season and I missed it by doing a story mission.

Until I found out that so many people were having the same issue I just chalked it up to "It doesn't rain outside of story mode" then I saw a thread entitled something to the effect of "Please make it stop raining."

download (13).jpg

Im on PC. Here is what I have found.

I noticed alot during play that the road would become wet like its raining, but there was no actual rain visible many times. Later on I hex edited the EXE to disable TAA to see what the game looks like. This is when I noticed that when the road turns wet there is an extremely light rain effect happening. The rain drops are so tiny and light that you can hardly see them with TAA off, but you can see them. While I had it turned off, I never saw the roads become wet without seeing rain. I am sure TAA is wiping out the light rain in CP2077. After turning TAA back on (unfortunately the game doesn't work properly with it off for some reason) I have not seen the light rain again, just roads getting wet.

I have also been using the little time exploit to refresh clothing shop inventories so I can get a style I like for my character, and I've moved time forward probably close to 3 or 4 months of ingame time. I have seen a hell of alot of variety in weather over that period, but the game can sometime go over a week without any rain.

Im pretty sure the TV in your apartment has a weather forecast on the right side of it. I haven't tested it to see if it changes, but the times Ive watched TV in my apartment, the forecast has been accurate to the weather

Yes, the rain effect is very subtle. It's not like a huge downpour with massive rain drops - more of what in the UK we'd call a "drizzle". It's the type of rain that you miss when looking out of your window and only notice when you step outside.

Could well be that DLSS or TAA is masking it.

Some of the weather 'types' I have seen so far to give you an idea of the variety if you haven't seen it yet :

Sunny
Cloudy
Stormy
Foggy
Light Rain
Medium Rain
Heavy Rain
Foggy Rainstorm
Heavy Foggy Rainstorm
Pollution Haze

@TemplarGFX so I went and checked the apartment, if it's this thing no amount of time skipping or sleeping ever changes the temperatures or the times shown (just tested it) :/

Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2020.12.18 - 14.05.47.63.png

I have played over 40+ hours and there was heavy rain three times.
This also changes when you saved a game with rain. After reloading the weather changed to sunlight.

Top Bottom