A good reminder for CDPR how to make a CRPG

+

urza7

Forum regular
It was bait and switch. Now even CDPR doesn't call CP77 RPG. Quote from their twitter: "Welcome to the official Twitter account of Cyberpunk 2077 — an open-world, action-adventure story developed by @CDPROJEKTRED"

:D XD LoL then i don't understand why all the people on the net saying that it is an RPG game and try to defend it that way. Thank you

:D XD LoL then i don't understand why all the people on the net saying that it is an RPG game and try to defend it that way. But i understand now ok. Thank you
Because most other platforms and websites still list it as an RPG. Even GOG.

urza7

Forum regular
But they don't have eyes? If they are not know this CDPR post is exist are they don't even feel that something is wrong with the game? But ok now i understand not i'm who misunderstanding this game.

They’ve given mixed messages. On the other hand there’s that description in some of their outlets, but some of the devs have been insisting that it’s a ”true(tm) RPG” and it’s ”first and foremost an RPG”.

Although it is somewhat telling that the explanation to those statements was something like ”it has some stats and dialog options, so it must be an RPG”.

But playing the game, it is clearly not an RPG. It also clear that it wants to be, but falls short on almost every aspect, and if it is still considered one after the shortcomings, it’s not doing a very good job at being one.

Semi-interactive story with few hamfisted stats to help you 1st person shooting your bodycount up or do a bit of sneaking does not an RPG make (considering it’s an open world game with one big map). Not a good one anyway.

They’ve given mixed messages. On the other hand there’s that description in some of their outlets, but some of the devs have been insisting that it’s a ”true(tm) RPG” and it’s ”first and foremost an RPG”.

Although it is somewhat telling that the explanation to those statements was something like ”it has some stats and dialog options, so it must be an RPG”.

But playing the game, it is clearly not an RPG. It also clear that it wants to be, but falls short on almost every aspect, and if it is still considered one after the shortcomings, it’s not very good at being one.

Semi-interactive story with few hamfisted stats to help you 1st person shooting your bodycount up or do a bit of sneaking does not an RPG make (considering it’s an open world game with one big map). Not a good one anyway.
I agree.

not forgetting all the game changing mind blowing changes to the game you can make with your choices in Witcher 2 ...
seriously .. did they sub cyberpunk 2077 out to another company ? are these even the same people who brought us the witcher series?

I googled and majority of leads that worked at least on Witcher 3 remained on Cyberpunk. So I'm genuinely asking, you seem to be in the knowledge, who are those people?
Guess my intel was wrong. :shrug:
You got me.

Ya... It's not suppose to be an RPG.
In may 2019 they scrapped that idea for an AAS.
It was silently changed in official descriptions. But failed to notify publishers, marketing and journalists.

It was a big red flag when it was first discovered last year.
But people generally assumed. "na... CDPR wouldn't screw us"
They used clever phrasing to hide the fact, and still the game was haralded as an open world RPG.

But no, while it has RPG elements, it is in fact NOT an RPG.

But... For an AAS, it's alright for that.
Just wish they were more honest and upfront instead of hiding the change

Thread title: A GOOD REMINDER FOR CDPR HOW TO MAKE A CRPG

Cyberpunk is not a CRGP, neither is The Witcher 3.

These are CRPG's. (top down, isometric view).

These are also CRPG's - Baldur's gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2 etc.

Cyberpunk is not a CRGP, neither is The Witcher 3.

These are also CRPG's - Baldur's gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2 etc.

Well, at least TW3 is ARPG, but CP77 isn't any kind of RPG whatsoever.

And just a nitpick, that Icewind Dale series are not in the same class as the other games on your list. IwD are mediocre games and not a reference of how to make great games.

Top Bottom