A new Prince of Persia in 2D?

+
A new Prince of Persia in 2D?

Prince of Persia... who doesn't know this series? Born as a 2D platform game, PoP made its fortune under Ubisoft's wings, with the Sands of Time trilogy (ahhhh, when Ubisoft did things right...). Thanks to The Sands of Time, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, the Prince has become an icon of the videogame industry.
Then the infamous 2008's Prince of Persia reboot came out, and many people were hugely disappointed, starting from the graphics (come on... Cel-Shading is perfect for a PoP game), to a simplistic gameplay, to a very low difficulty (you literally can't die in the game). I agree with the last 2 points, but overall, I'm one of the few ones who likes the 2008 game, probably mainly for its... atmosphere: they literally nailed that.
In 2010 Ubisoft releases The Forgotten Sands, apparently abandoning the reboot idea to narrate the events between TSoT and WW. This is another infamous title too: in general, it disappointed fans and non fans alike. Me included.
Now, after these 2 titles, I WANT the comeback of the Prince. Badly. Originally, there was rumors about some sort of reboot (yes, another one), but nothing concrete, only a few very discussed screenshots. Recently, a new rumor about a 2D Prince of Persia has been spread around the internet. What do you think about this? Do you see the two dimensions as the future of PoP? Personally, I don't. In my opinion, as much as I want a sequel for the Sands of Time trilogy, those games are great and I wouldn't risk to ruin them (like they risked with The Forgotten Sands), so they should go with a sequel to the 2008 game, cause it has potential. I'm curious tho know your thoughts, guys!

Did you play the classic PoP's? They are considerably more challenging than anything afterwards. Nothing wrong with 2D. In fact Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow & The Flame is one of my favorite games.

But these are all rumors apparently so there's not much to talk about.

Ps: you missed PoP 3D, the worst in the series.

Last edited:
Did you play the classic PoP's? They are considerably more challenging than anything afterwards. Nothing wrong with 2D. In fact Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow & The Flame is one of my favorite games.

But these are all rumors apparently so there's not much to talk about.

Ps: you missed PoP 3D, the worst in the series.

Don't misunderstand me, it's not that I don't want a 2D PoP because the classic ones are bad, but because of my personal taste, I don't like 2D games. And by the way, this thread is to collect people's thoughts about a possible 2D PoP, so if anyone has something to say, write it :)

P.S: yeah I know I missed PoP 3D, and the classic ones in my OP, I started from the Sands of Time trilogy because it's thanks to those games that the franchise became massively known.

I'll take whatever Prince of Persia I can get, as long as its good. I'd like a dark storybook approach similar to PoP II, with persian elements like those of the Sands of Time trilogy. 2D, 3D, whatever. Just good sword fighting and platforming.

Too bad it's under Ubisoft. I want it DRM Free and preferably multi OS.

CDPR: make a PoP killer based on Babylonian/Assyrian mythology!

Top Bottom