Animals

+
This. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, a polygon requires an equal amount of processing regardless of its size, which basically means that if they have the same polygon count, a giant and a small rat would take an equal amount of processing to render. Now, if anyone got that ultra confusing sentence right lol.

Exactly. And while animals would be neat, I would much rather the resources be spent somewhere else.... like I said, on vehicles, or a larger world, storage space in your vehicle trunks, vehicle customization, weapon customization, visible holsters, more missions, hookers, blow....

If we can get all that plus some critters, then awesome, but having critters in the game is pretty low priority for me... about equal in priority to me as getting a tool foot....

Tool Foot.... the most useless piece of cyber in the game... it exists only so people can say they have hammer toes without talking about a disfigurement.

No animals.
It's an urban setting.
Do you come across tons of wildlife exemples in Manhattan ?
Except rats of course, 1 or 2 stray dogs or cats a week maybe, some pigeons.
The 2020 setting is not kind to fauna (acid rains, overpolluted urban area ...). It's an ecologid nightmare. And remember Blade Runner Owl ? Artificial cause extinct.

Animals should be pets, augmented or not, or custodian -cyber watchdog, but not part of the landscape, and even less XP sources.

No animals.
It's an urban setting.
The 2020 setting is not king to fauna (acid rains, overpolluted urban area ...). It's an ecologid nightmare. And remember Blade Runner Owl ? Artificial cause extinct.

Animals should be pets, augmented or not, or custodian -cyber watchdog, but not part of the landscape, and even less XP sources.

Agreed. Although I like the idea of rich people having less common animals as an indication of wealth and power.

A good thing about CP is that the environment is going to be mostly geometric (as opposed to being organic), so it should both look good and run relatively well at the same time. Maybe we should sort of expect little details like that, then.

No animals.
It's an urban setting.
The 2020 setting is not king to fauna (acid rains, overpolluted urban area ...). It's an ecologic nightmare. And remember Blade Runner Owl ? Artificial cause extinct.

I don't know about all that. there is actually plenty of wildlife in Manhattan. Central Park is pretty full of animals. Packs of feral dogs are actually a pretty big hazard. Hawks and Owls do pretty well feeding on rats, pigeons, and other animals.

As for the 2020 setting, a lot of what is said in the core rule book is pretty much just hyperbole. If the birds all died off, we would already be dead. The replicated animals bit in bladerunner was pretty silly... the ecosysytem pretty much depends on birds. Certain species will die off, but others will just take their place.

Chicago has racoons running their streets, downtown Kansas City has possums.... Hell I have seen Bears walking the streets in Denver.

However, I will definitely agree that this stuff isn't necessary in a video game.... UNLESS there are areas outside the city, where it would just be weird for their not to be animals... and even then, having those areas is more important to me than having animals in it.

Chromebook 3, page 81:

Of course, pets come in all shapes and sizes. Thanks to the cloning tanks, the wealthy 'punk can order up almost any kind of creature that walks, swims or flies on the Earth. (Sorry, the boffins haven't been able to reproduce dead DNA codes yet, so forget about dinosaurs!) As usual, a clone is produced as an adult, but lacks any kind of mental or physical abilities beyond those encoded in their genes. In most cases, this is not a problem, since this means that the animals can be chipped-in with the proper routines. For most people looking for animal robots (essentially), this is fine. For those wanting a real pet with a personality and animal training, double the prices given below (the animal is cloned to infant size and actually lives with adults and other infants as part of a natural family grouping, on a wildlife preserve or zoo). For naturally-born and raised animals, triple the prices below. For animals taken from the wild, the prices go up by 50x (there are too few left in the world - the remaining stock is invaluable for breeding and genetic reserves).

Small dog100ebBear2000ebSmall Raptor500eb
Medium Dog200ebLarge Bear3000ebLarge Raptor1500eb
Large Dog500ebChimp1000ebBat500eb
Housecat100ebGorilla2000ebSquirrel150eb
Large Cat500ebBaboon1500ebMouse/Rodent50eb
Leopard2700ebDolphin3000ebRabbit100eb
Cheetah2800ebSeal2000ebTiger/Lion3000eb
Shark1500ebOtter500eb

EDIT: The prices listed above are for cloned adults.

So yeah... Animals are rare, some nearly extinct. Want an actual tiger, a real one, not a cloned one? Sure. Pay 150 thousand eb and it's yours. Assuming, of course, that you find someone who actually has one, and is willing to part with it. :cool:

Cant imagine rabbits or lions running around in any metropolitan city today!. in 50-100 years? majority or today's uncommon and rare animals will be extinct or strictly under protection in closed environment. perhaps cloning will evolve and we can do something about it but until laws change I don't see it happening.

ok, so maybe we can just get cyber animals as a pet or use the above chart if we want something real?

iunno it would be cool to have a pet of some kind i think.

Vehicles are far more important to me than animals...

Animals in games, especially rats, just always seem like cheap low level xp grind, I really hate that... so if they are put in, they should be relatively harmless, maybe a guard dog, or a pack of feral dogs in the combat zone... but cats and rats should not be attacking you.

However if they are going to put animals in, beyond more than just harmless street animals and pets. Then it kind of necessitates a wide expanse outside of the city where they can be hunted. And I am all for a wasteland environment outside the city. RDR really got animals right, at least better than any other game I have played.

So I guess I can take or leave animals, provided they are implemented well.

The above. And nothing other than the above.

Rats have followed humans throughout the ages, humans generate trash. So their should be rats and no they shouldn't attack you. City animals like pigeons and seagulls would bring great atmosphere since it is by the port.

Dogs and cats as pets with optional cybernetic parts. Its also poetic in battle to see a butterfly or two float about in open areas. Animals should be deathly afraid of us being on top of the food chain and all. Unless we are in the outskirts of Night City's desert expanse, then we would face mountain lions, rattlesnakes, bears, coyotes, etc.

Combining with machines solidifies the human being to permanently stay on top as the apex predator. At least until androids become a race of their own, completely self-aware.

Yes. Augmented animals, capable of changing their appearance.
Also, sharks with frickin' laser beams on their foreheads!

Yes. Augmented animals, capable of changing their appearance.
Also, sharks with frickin' laser beams on their foreheads!
No.
Absolutly no.
Period.

I hate to break it to you but sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads isn't at all unreasonable, and pretty much already do exist in this world. May I direct your attention to Chromebook 3, page 86 and Chromebook 3, page 87? I should also point out that the Chromebooks are pretty much the Holy Bible of Cyberpunk 2020.

I hate to break it to you but sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads isn't at all unreasonable, and pretty much already do exist in this world. May I direct your attention to Chromebook 3, page 86 and Chromebook 3, page 87? I should also point out that the Chromebooks are pretty much the Holy Bible of Cyberpunk 2020.

Um.... the Chrome books are just gear books... granted they are the most popular of all the supplements (an argument I use often to support vehicle inclusion) but they also have some kinda silly stuff in there as well.

Chrome 1 and 2 are the best of the four books, though the art is better in 2 by far for the most part. But there are LOTS of things that may be in the chrome books that I would rather the dev's not waste game resources on. Furries (exotics), cyber animals, wonky tech like the spawnblade, arcwelder arms, seriously who the fuck gets an arm that doesn;t even have a hand? Even if you were a construction worker that's just silly).

While these things do exist in the world, they are a bit part at most, and not something I think the VG needs to spend time or resources on, time and reasources that could be spent on the things that matter much more....

I wouldn't ncessarily mind if they included one animal, say a dog, with some different skins, that could serve as guard dogs, feral mutts, etc... and then maybe a unique cyberdog as a mission... but even that I can completely live without.

Um.... the Chrome books are just gear books...

I know. I just wanted to avoid the argument that "just because it's in a Chromebook, doesn't mean it exists in / fits into Cyberpunk 2020/2077!" Having said that, the Chromebooks are the backbone of the cyber in Cyberpunk 2020, as they do have some of the coolest parts in the game.

seriously who the fuck gets an arm that doesn;t even have a hand?

Style over Substance, man.

The whole act questioning why someone would do something flies in the face of that core tenet of Cyberpunk 2020. The question isn't why they're using a piece of cyberware. The question is how good they look while using it. :cool:

I do agree though, sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads need not be very high on the priority list for Cyberpunk 2077.

Top Bottom