Appleseed Alpha

+
So I'm re-reading some Eden right now and I just came across the fight where the scary Borg Solo with the finger blades, backed up by a Heavy with an MG, has assaulted a hospital to kill Miriam and her uncle before they can transmit the data they've acquired. Just as the Solo prepares to finish off Unk, Eliah takes off his arm with a long-range pair of shots - from a helicopter, no less.

The Borg starts evading while Eliah makes the Cyberpunk 2020 point that although you can dump 50 rounds of medium calibre ammo into a Heavy with serious armour, one well-placed high-calibre round to the forehead puts an end to that nonsense.

Anyway, Kenji drops down on a static line to deal with the fast-mover, who has been shown to be exceedingly deadly. You're totally expecting some ultra-cool extended duel between them.

Kenji throws a disc of some kind, which misses as the Solo dodges easily, then blurs forward on the attack. Kenji levels his HK, which hasn't worked too well in the past on this guy...but you see the disc has snapped open..and is a boomerang.

Kenji ducks and the boomerang takes the Borg Solo's head off. You realise Kenji only pointed the SMG to keep the Borg's attention on it while his primary attack, both feint and attack, did it's job.

It's only a few panels, but just so superb in terms of action and perspective.
A lot comes down when one realizes combat is a matter of position of power:/ They guy behind eden had a lot of fun though

Last edited:
For which fans? Those of us who have followed Appleseed since the 90s have only contempt.

It's more like....not-fan service.

Try the 80's....

I remember I used to be able to point to Shirow and say he was abov e that nonsense, his women were interesting, athletic, and even though there was some cheesecake, in combat the bitches were bad, and dressed for the job...

Then GITS made all the money and Shrow started drawing nothing but tapioca filled balloons on stick figures...

Wow, I hadn't realized this until I saw this on ryu-amano's tumblr. But the fat "reddish" cyborg on the trailer is my favorite Appleseed character: Sokaku! He's nigh irrecognizable, but his head with the trademark third eye and horns of different length identify him (he still seems to be missing the central one, though).

Sokaku the mercenary. Yeah, he was pretty amusing - why is he your favourite, though?

One, because he's likable even when he's backstabbing. And he pulls his backstabs very well against clever people like Fang (or was it Bolt?) in the most casual of ways, like the thing with the credit card. He also has the quality of being backstabbing and helpful at the same time.
Two, his mercenary status makes him pretty roguish, not answering to any particular organization.
Third, I like how non-human he looks. You know, it's a thing with Shirow: a lot of times you have something like a Jameson model and a very human looking android and there's always the joke of "guess who's the human and who's the android".
Oh, and he "cosplayed Donald Duck" that particular time. I think it's mostly that last thing.

Forum veteran
Back when Rep told me that I play too many jRPGs, I kind of worried that I was too into the whole Japanese thing, like I was one step away from sliding down a slippery slope into vending machines that sell panties and an obsessive love of tentacle monsters. This thread has assured that you're all the ones I should be worrying about. Thanks, forum.

why would a robot need pants?
Where else would a robot keep its car keys and loose change? Duh.

why would a robot need pants?

They aren't robots, they are cyborgs... Humans with full conversion bodies... clothing not only helps them retain a connection to their humanity, it also covers up and human dangly bits that remain... because life without sex, or at least the possibility of it.. really isn't worth living... much less being functionally immortal.

it also covers up and human dangly bits that remain... because life without sex, or at least the possibility of it.. really isn't worth living... much less being functionally immortal.

if only Briareos wasn't asexual, right?

Unless you've got some kind of evidence he has those organs post-explosion? Because I have evidence he doesn't. Let me quote again: "Three quarters machine, Briareos still maintains a cardiovascular and digestive system (revealed to us in Ex Machina), but appears to have lost his reproductive system, making him asexual (revealed in Appleseed (2004)".

So, yeah. Asexual.

You're also basically saying anyone who can't have sex due to injury, serious illness or age should just, what, off themselves? Of course not. I'd miss sex, ( of which I have, frankly a LOT.Giggle), but there's still chocolate. And ice cream. And toffee. And great burgers. And deadlifts. And making fun of Redge. Sex is great, but it's not the only great thing.

The question is, WOULD you trade your sex organs and capability in return for serious cybernetic rebuild, like a Hecatonshires? Anyone in a Dragoon that doesn't also have a Bodpod has already done it.

if only Briareos wasn't asexual, right?

Unless you've got some kind of evidence he has those organs post-explosion? Because I have evidence he doesn't. Let me quote again: "Three quarters machine, Briareos still maintains a cardiovascular and digestive system (revealed to us in Ex Machina), but appears to have lost his reproductive system, making him asexual (revealed in Appleseed (2004)".

So, yeah. Asexual.

You're also basically saying anyone who can't have sex due to injury, serious illness or age should just, what, off themselves? Of course not. I'd miss sex, ( of which I have, frankly a LOT.Giggle), but there's still chocolate. And ice cream. And toffee. And great burgers. And deadlifts. And making fun of Redge. Sex is great, but it's not the only great thing.

The question is, WOULD you trade your sex organs and capability in return for serious cybernetic rebuild, like a Hecatonshires? Anyone in a Dragoon that doesn't also have a Bodpod has already done it.

Movie Bri maybe, movie bri isn't Original Bri. In the manga, Shirow makes it pretty obvious that Bri and Deunan bone on a regular basis. But you know this. In fact most Cyborgs in Appleseed retain their reproductive organs... Here, Shirow says exactly that right here in the Appleseed notes on Bri... Notice if you will the text on the left side of the page..

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d09712e483a04c301b91976b01697ea6/tumblr_mh7pmkvw5Z1s49tnoo1_1280.jpg

And fuck no, luckily the Hecatonchires system allows bri to retain his bone abilities... of course he is also the only person in the world whose body has successfully accepted the system...

Yes, I keep telling Sard but he keeps saying Bri hasn't got a dick... XD
And no, nobody here is saying that people who due to this or that can't have sex for the remainder of their lives should off themselves. We're talking about comodities, life quality, etc. Wherever there's FBCs or hell cyborgs there must be a market for cyberpenises and cybervaginas or at least cultured biotech implants because they don't want to renounce even the posibility. There's also a single player mode I'm told... and online capabilites... and multitap...
It would, in my opinion,just be sadistic to have technology that makes it possible to have a cased human brain with life support live in a robotic body and not even give it a dildo or a canned vagina connected to whatever mechanism that can reward the brain chemistry for pleasurable interactions. We accept Bri has touch in his very robotic looking fingers, right? Why wouldn't he have touch in his robotic penis if it is robotic? And if he didn't have touch in it, maybe he just likes to spend some, heh, quality time with Deunan as long as he sees her enjoying herself.

Anime Bri is more current than Manga Bri and Anime Bri doesn't have organs after the explosion. Shirow's notes do not say Bri does or doesn't, just that cyborg skeep their temps not very high to protect those parts that are human. If he don't have those parts, then he doesn't have them.

I read all the Appleseed stuff and it was never clear if Bri and Deunan were sexually active or not. If you have some clear evidence of that, great.

I think it's more that you prefer to think of Bri as being capable of sex, as opposed to a eunuch.

You sure are sure of something that there isn't any clear evidence of and there is clear evidence against.

Sooo..has anyone ordered the Bri action figure yet? SO TEMPTED.

Dude..... read the text on the image I linked to.... to paraphrase... "Bri's skin is elastic and warm" "cyborgs skin temperature is regulated to protect those parts that are still human", listed among those parts specifically is "REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS"....

Next to a picture of Bri....

ALSO, From the biographies of the characters "printed in the original english manga from Eclipse/Studio Proteus, reprinted in the Appleseed handbook AND the databook:

"Deunan is the pointman, lover and partner to Briareos. She is complex mix of several races including French, African, English and American. She met "Bri" in 2116 at the early age 11, and the two immediately formed a close friendship. Briareos originally took the role of the protective uncle in Deunan's life but as she grew older their relationship became more personal and intimate."

So there, Shirow implicitly stating they have sex. This is backed up by numerous images of then being very close, such as her sleeping nude in the bed with him, cuddling in his lap while wearing suggestive lingerie, her wearing special outfits just for him....

And did you really say the movie is more relevant because it's newer? Did you really just say that it trumps the creators version?

If thats the case, I guess in your opinion the new Robocop is the better version...

Sard loves remakes... who would have thunk it... to him Johnny Depp is the true Willy Wonka...

Last edited:
Not convinced. Special outfits? Really? Do you even ever see them make out? The bit about reproductive organs applies to all cyborgs that have those organs - if you lost yours in, say, an explosion, then how would that apply?

Was that bit from the databook actually written by Shirow or just a SP summary? Pretty sure it's a summary. Shirow has never cleared up the bit about them being lovers or not, or Bri having organs or not.

You can toss the anime because it doesn't say what you want to read, but if it said the opposite, you'd be arguing to include it.

This whole Bri-has-sex-organs thing isn't that important, but it's also not that clear. Gonna go with asexual.

Not convinced. Special outfits? Really? Do you even ever see them make out? The bit about reproductive organs applies to all cyborgs that have those organs - if you lost yours in, say, an explosion, then how would that apply?

Was that bit from the databook actually written by Shirow or just a SP summary? Pretty sure it's a summary. Shirow has never cleared up the bit about them being lovers or not, or Bri having organs or not.

You can toss the anime because it doesn't say what you want to read, but if it said the opposite, you'd be arguing to include it.

This whole Bri-has-sex-organs thing isn't that important, but it's also not that clear. Gonna go with asexual.

Errrmmm...
Didn't Sokaku try to sell something... erm... "condoms for cyborgs" or-what-ever, to Deunan in 3'rd book's end? (I dunno actually what Sokaku actually tried to sell there... ಠ_ಠ )

Top Bottom