Attribute Check Scaling Severely Broken

+
Just wanted to share this insane attribute skill check I'm being asked for during Disasterpiece at level 16. This is literally impossible to unlock given my current level so why even set it this high?

1707113229342.png

Quests like the I Can See Clearly Now are basically completely blocked from access unless I dump copious amounts of points into attributes that then scale up and move the goal posts even further away! CDPR please fix! I'm going to install this and hope for the best https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/9388/?tab=files

Just wanted to share this insane attribute skill check I'm being asked for during Disasterpiece at level 16. This is literally impossible to unlock given my current level so why even set it this high?

View attachment 11382877

Quests like the I Can See Clearly Now are basically completely blocked from access unless I dump copious amounts of points into attributes that then scale up and move the goal posts even further away! CDPR please fix! I'm going to install this and hope for the best https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/9388/?tab=files
at least you can install a workaround.... xbox/ps are just screwed.... :(

This is literally impossible to unlock given my current level so why even set it this high?
Yes, it IS literally impossible. "Impossible" is one of the skill check difficulty classes and the laptop you're talking about in the room where Judy sets up during this mission is set to "Impossible." It's always been that way even before skill scaling went in. You can find posts about it from a year or more ago. Why? Who knows? They use the Impossible setting rarely and sometimes just for Easter Egg stuff. But people say there's nothing on this laptop but cam controls. Probably a mistake it's even interactive. But it's got nothing to do with the new skill scaling.

One thing to be aware of with that mod is that it removes scaling entirely. This does NOT revert to the state of the game before 2.0. Skill checks used to scale before 2.0, they just did so by area instead of V's level. So skill checks in Watson at the start of the game would be easier all around than skill checks in later game areas like City Center.

If you install that mod, you will run into a few doors and turrets at the start of the game in Watson that are skill 15 because that's where they set it for all levels. Cameras will be always level 9 tech to disable. Even the first ones you run into. Not an issue if you can disable them with a cyberdeck, but just pointing out what that modder did. There are other mods on Nexus that do SOME skill scaling but not as aggressive as the default post 2.0 curves. The one you're using though is fine if you're willing to put up with a few high level checks early in the game.

Yes, it IS literally impossible. "Impossible" is one of the skill check difficulty classes and the laptop you're talking about in the room where Judy sets up during this mission is set to "Impossible." It's always been that way even before skill scaling went in. You can find posts about it from a year or more ago. Why? Who knows? They use the Impossible setting rarely and sometimes just for Easter Egg stuff. But people say there's nothing on this laptop but cam controls. Probably a mistake it's even interactive. But it's got nothing to do with the new skill scaling.
Interesting that this is some weird impossible longstanding easter egg, to add even more strangeness, while demoing the mod I noticed the game skips the check entirely if I load a save where Judy is already in that room. If I load a save where I she hasn't entered the room yet the check exists, mod or not. In fact I'm noticing the mod is not changing much across the board.

One thing to be aware of with that mod is that it removes scaling entirely. This does NOT revert to the state of the game before 2.0. Skill checks used to scale before 2.0, they just did so by area instead of V's level. So skill checks in Watson at the start of the game would be easier all around than skill checks in later game areas like City Center.

If you install that mod, you will run into a few doors and turrets at the start of the game in Watson that are skill 15 because that's where they set it for all levels. Cameras will be always level 9 tech to disable. Even the first ones you run into. Not an issue if you can disable them with a cyberdeck, but just pointing out what that modder did. There are other mods on Nexus that do SOME skill scaling but not as aggressive as the default post 2.0 curves. The one you're using though is fine if you're willing to put up with a few high level checks early in the game.

There seems to be some contadictions in the mod description as it describes the mod as "Removes the level scaling from attributes checks introduced in Update 2.0 and makes their difficulties be based on the skill tree's tiers instead." However, reading the more detailed description seems to match what your saying, not sure if your reporting based off of your anecdotal experience using the mod. Either way it does not seem to be making a difference in my 2.11 copy.

Interesting that this is some weird impossible longstanding easter egg, to add even more strangeness, while demoing the mod I noticed the game skips the check entirely if I load a save where Judy is already in that room. If I load a save where I she hasn't entered the room yet the check exists, mod or not. In fact I'm noticing the mod is not changing much across the board.
There are actually five skill check difficulty classes: Trivial, Easy, Medium, Hard, and Impossible. Trivial is always 3. Impossible is always 20. It was Easy, Medium, and Hard that always scaled up throughout the game. Previously, this scaling was by location. Now it's by V's level. But the mod you're using doesn't change Trivial or Impossible checks, so you don't see a change in that laptop. It just flattens all Easy to 4, Medium to 9, and Hard to 15. It's pretty reasonable since these align with the attribute perk tiers.

With that mod, first things I noticed different were the turrets at the All Foods plant being skill check 15. The side doors and overhead skylight entrances to the dojo during Gig:Bloodsport in Watson are also skill 15. And all cameras are Tech 9. Prior to 2.0, these skill checks were all actually lower than this due to being in a low level area, i.e. Watson.

There seems to be some contadictions in the mod description as it describes the mod as "Removes the level scaling from attributes checks introduced in Update 2.0 and makes their difficulties be based on the skill tree's tiers instead." However, reading the more detailed description seems to match what your saying, not sure if your reporting based off of your anecdotal experience using the mod. Either way it does not seem to be making a difference in my 2.11 copy.
I mean that description is sort of accurate. The mod author wanted to make the skill checks align to the 4/9/15 break points you see in the perk trees now post 2.0. These are natural points you will aim for in a build now. Except for a few early game checks that might be a little higher than normal, it settles out to be pretty easy later on requiring nothing more than 15 except for those few "Impossible" checks in the game. And really there are very few, none of which are all that important. And I think you can breach almost any access point in the game with Int 9 with that mod because very few seem to have been tagged as "Hard".

Yes, it IS literally impossible. "Impossible" is one of the skill check difficulty classes and the laptop you're talking about in the room where Judy sets up during this mission is set to "Impossible." (.... )Why? Who knows? They use the Impossible setting rarely and sometimes just for Easter Egg stuff. But people say there's nothing on this laptop but cam controls. Probably a mistake it's even interactive.
its just fake immersion... like there was (dont know if still is) a body 20 check at one of the elevators in the old food factory on release 3 years ago - people were curious whats that all about until a modder pimped up his stats just to take a look: there was nothing behind the door not even developed.... - it was just not meant to be openable at all. - just why? what kind of game-design is that? implying you can miss something what isnt there at all... its just fooling around with the players. the laptop might be the very same...

It's not 'literally impossible', you just need to allocate more attribute points into that tree.

You can skip spending attribute points at character creation (allows you to level 1 skill to 10 at level 1) and allocate them later so by level 16, you could put 26 points into Tech if you choose.

Last edited:
It's not 'literally impossible', you just need to allocate more attribute points into that tree.

You can skip spending attribute points at character creation (allows you to level 1 skill to 10 at level 1) and allocate them later so by level 16, you could put 26 points into Tech if you choose.

I actually Think that specific check is intended not to be passed. Even in Pre 2.0 It was way too high.

I understand your point about it technically being doable, but it seems like they very much do not want the player to be able to do it, plus in the story it's a relatively early mission, and I don't think they expected people to actually use it. Also, my theory is that Judy was supposed to do something as she is the "Techie" architype, and she even makes a comment about seeing if she can do anything from there once you get to the room. The terminal also becomes unusable after she takes her position.

My guess is at one point maybe she did more in the second half of that mission, messed with security or the pipes or something, but it was cut. It just feels unfinished, like several other parts of the game, where it seemed like maybe there was a branching path, or more to the story, or a hidden option, that even now with everything they've added, the main story never really got those edges smoothed out. Which I get, they had a lot to fix, and making as large revision to the narrative, post-launch would not have gone over well, even if it was just adding alternative paths. But looking at PL and how some of those missions play out based on choice it just feels like there was meant to be more in those places....

Anyway, I'm getting a bit off topic. Point is, I think that terminal was meant to look like "Oh only Judy can do the thing cause she's the tech expert, so she'll support V from here".... but then it never actually panned out that way at least not in any noticeably helpful way in the mission.

Yeah, this computer is the worst example possible when talking about how broken is skill check scaling... knowning this skill check is among the few ones in the game which are not affected by level scaling at all because they were always set to 20.
It would be like complaining about skill check scaling because you can't open the doors of the "robots" rooms in the motels, knowning they always have been set to 20 too :D

Yeah sorry.. I meant the check difficulty is called "impossible". I don't know why. Maybe it was originally intended to be impossible but they changed their minds and didn't change the name. It might also explain why that laptop even has a check. Perhaps at one time it was meant to be literally impossible for the player to do but they wanted to pretend someone more skilled than the player could do it, for RP reasons.

Top Bottom