Level-scaling ability checks: why?

+
I doubt theses 732 hours are 2.0… have you started a new char after the revamp? Maybe you would think differently than ^^

I think the original intent behind these skills checks was to provide special dialogue for people who highly invested in a stat. Before 2.0, however, the skill checks were so easy to meet that you could meet most checks in the game without having a specialized build. While it was probably great for people who like to use all of the special dialogue for a single character, it sort of defeated the purpose of having special dialogue.

So in 2.0 they added level-scaling to the special dialogue. Now you're not able to pick certain options unless you've highly invested in a stat. On some level, I agree with it. For example, I found it silly that I used to be able to reprogram the Delamain core with only 10 intelligence. From both a story perspective, as well as a developer perspective, only players with high intelligence should be able to do that.

With that said, I'm not arguing that level-scaling is perfect. However, when these special dialogue options were so easy to meet before 2.0, it really made them feel not special, and I feel that was not their original intent. I think it's important for people to realize that the special dialogue probably wasn't meant to be seen all on one character. Of course, with the free attribute respec they gave players in 2.0, there is still a way for players to see most of the dialogue.

In regards to the original poster's question, I imagine "reflex" is the Cyberpunk world's version of "perception", and it's often used when V perceives or detects something (e.g., in Wilson's case, they perceive his emotions), so only a V with enough reflex is able to detect Wilson's sadness.

I admit, it's sort of silly that you need a high enough reflex to notice someone is sad, but that's more of a design issue on why they chose this particular dialogue to be special, and not so much about level-scaling.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'ce fallen foul of the Shoot to Thrill issue myself. It also happens with Delamain's mission if you wish to select the 'assimilate' option.

The only surefire solution is to wait until that attribute's maxed out / or / always have a couple of spare, unplaced attribute points to hand.

Neither option is particularly great.

The obvious solution would be to have level scaling only apply to enemies, not to text-based skill checks. Seems like a sensible compromise to me - and much as I adore Cyberpunk I can't quite get my head around what CDPR were thinking when they implemented this.

I just grabbed a mod that let me pass any skillchecks I want, and the game became fun again. I shouldn't have had to, but it is what it is.

It's hard to put into words how much I despise this change.

**Well, just came across one that thankfully wasn't, maybe this is only outside of story missions... which is only half as annoying.

For reference;
Barry the cop, his friends had a cool check in dialogue, it went up based on level.
Delamain core merge quest, that one also kept going up, had to redo it 3 times and just waited for 20 int before finishing it.
A lot of doors now require 20 body to open.
Access points have been steadily going up as I level, though not nearly as bad. At 41, they all seem to take 11 int.
I've noticed some tech doors requiring less than 20, so there may be caps on what they can be.

On the flip side;
Talking to Rogue about Panam and Anders had a 5 body check. Maybe story missions are not level based, but most everything else is.

Last edited:
It would be nice if they included an option for level scaling like in witcher 3, or at least turn off scaling for skill check in dialogs. Please fix it

Gamers today complain too much. They don't want there to be any real consequence tied to their decisions or actions. I remember when you had to think carefully about how you wanted to build your character, and accept that when opening one door you'd be closing fiver others behind you. If your decisions ultimately don't matter, then why play an RPG?

You already have way too much freedom in Cyberpunk 2077. You can just refund all your perks and reset all of your attributes whenever you feel like it. It's way too convenient, because it doesn't actually challenge players to think carefully about their choices, which should be a big part of playing an RPG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom