Baba Yaga, and other myths and legends

+
Baba Yaga, and other myths and legends

In new artworks of The Witcher 3 was the witch Baba Yaga!

for everyone who dont know her, she is a russian "whitch" from older tales/stories that usually has black magic, usually can have animals as allies and can talk to them and lives in a living house that stands on giant chicken feet and has a whitch like broom that she can use for flying.

She is either described as a single figure or a trio of sister witches (actual witches, as opposed to "Witchers" like Geralt). In the game's concept art they're depicted as three old crones, including a hunch-backed masked old woman with a staff, a tall and heavily garbed woman with claws for hands and a scythe-like dagger; and a topless overweight woman with a captive child leashed by a rope. It's the stuff of nightmares.

Thank you very much for this clarifying explanation. That will make easy to fantasy immersion for all for foreign like me

/>/>

I really hope these don't just remain as concept arts. I'd love to see them in the game. And if they do appear in the game, I hope they make that moment as creepy and unsettling as possible.

We're quite familiar with Baba Yaga in my country so I'm definitely excited about her possible depiction in The Witcher. All of the slavic references in the game are part of the reason why I love the franchise so much.

Agent_Blue

ReptilePZ said:
I really hope these don't just remain as concept arts. I'd love to see them in the game.

We're quite familiar with Baba Yaga in my country so I'm definitely excited about her possible depiction in The Witcher. All of the slavic references in the game are part of the reason why I love the franchise so much.

Me too.

The bare breasted witch is especially scary and therefore successful. Would be a shame to see all this potential gone to waste.

I'm from the Mediterrane but I love North-East folklore tale cultures. It's obvious that all those endless cold nights close the fire help, throughout hundreds of generations, keeping this magic.

I remember hearing this name in some Croatian cartoons when I was a kid, can't remember which ones...
Funny they've put them in a cartoon since it's a figure of horror and such. :)

Aver

Forum veteran
I hope it won't be in the game. The first one is just another example of oversexualization of women!

The stories old grandmothers in Eastern Europe used to tell to their little grandchildren are weird and creepy as shit, Baba Yaga being one such example. Also ghouls, a bunch of vampire-like creatures etc. (a lot of the stuff is featured in the witcher games obv)

Dalladrion said:
I remember hearing this name in some Croatian cartoons when I was a kid, can't remember which ones...
Funny they've put them in a cartoon since it's a figure of horror and such. :)/>/>
Most likely every Grimm-Andersen tales. Neverthereless Disney made a movie for them. The Little Mermaid tale for example ain't cute and children-friendly at all. Hansel and Gretel neither.

Anyway, I've read many different version of Baba Yaga tale. Some are less scary than others. But most versions included kidnapping or eating children.
Miyazaki also used this character in Spirited Away (and faaar less than a scary witch tho)

Slavics all have versions of Baba Yaga. In my country Baro is the name, as far as I remember.

Used by our grandmothers to scare us off to bed:D

I think CDproj should be careful with decontextualization (even though I know they have a habbit of causing such problems)As I understand it Baba Yaga is the Russian version of a character in slavic folk lore (and her namesake is not in the books right?).So it would be safer to make their own version of Baba Yaga, similar but with a different name unique to the witcher universe.

Agent_Blue

Aver said:
I hope it won't be in the game. The first one is just another example of oversexualization of women!

Oversexualization?

You have got to be kidding me.

There's nothing erotic, sensual or otherwise appealing about that character. If anything, the witch bares her distended breasts as though they were ears, elbows, knees or any other non-erogenous zone. In fact, that's the power behind that image and what makes it especially frightening: what kind of creature would offer her female breasts with such blatant disregard for eroticism?

AgentBlue said:
Oversexualization?

You have got to be kidding me.

There's nothing erotic, sensual or otherwise appealing about that character. If anything, the witch bares her distended breasts as though they were ears, elbows, knees or any other non-erogenous zone. In fact, that's the power behind that image and what makes it especially frightening: what kind of creature would offer her female breasts with such blatant disregard to eroticism?
Maybe he should put sarcasm in red next time?

Randomdrowner said:
I think CDproj should be careful with decontextualization (even though I know they have a habbit of causing such problems)As I understand it Baba Yaga is the Russian version of a character in slavic folk lore (and her namesake is not in the books right?).So it would be safer to make their own version of Baba Yaga, similar but with a different name unique to the witcher universe.
She is mentioned in the books (the old man in Baptism of Fire telling stories to the children IIRC). Baba Yaga's a staple of slavic folklore, I think she should be in the game with the same name (or one of her many names), only with a much darker twist to her, in the way that Sapkowski tends to present darker, more realistic version of fairy tales.

I remember the "Spirited Away" movie of Miyazaki. She was the witch that had almost the whole place under her order and tried to catch and kill Chihiro. She was the middle one there.

Same goes from the folktale "Hansel and Grettel". She reminded me of the witch having that creamy house.

Kaghal said:
Slavics all have versions of Baba Yaga. In my country Baro is the name, as far as I remember.

Used by our grandmothers to scare us off to bed:D

In my country Baba Roga is the name, i still remember the nightmares i had about her when i was a child...

Thank you for the explanation op, i am glad we have kind people that explain some of the stories in English otherwise we would be lost.

cyber12 said:
In new artworks of The Witcher 3 was the witch Baba Yaga!

for everyone who dont know her, she is a russian "whitch" from older tales/stories that usually has black magic, usually can have animals as allies and can talk to them and lives in a living house that stands on giant chicken feet and has a whitch like broom that she can use for flying.

She is either described as a single figure or a trio of sister witches (actual witches, as opposed to "Witchers" like Geralt). In the game's concept art they're depicted as three old crones, including a hunch-backed masked old woman with a staff, a tall and heavily garbed woman with claws for hands and a scythe-like dagger; and a topless overweight woman with a captive child leashed by a rope. It's the stuff of nightmares.
thnx for the nice info with good points.....

Top Bottom