Being Visibly Armed,Holsters and Trunks

+
I wouldn't mind an inventory system similar to the one utilized in W2, which to me is a "weight-limited IS". And I know you're not saying that people don't collect IRL, but you're certainly forgetting that. Having a weight-limited IS does not automatically make the game into a loot/collect game.

Attachments

• redborg.jpg
    redborg.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 35
  • mindmelternuhuh.jpg
    mindmelternuhuh.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
  • tumblr_mav48uE3Ae1r2zbluo1_250.jpg
    tumblr_mav48uE3Ae1r2zbluo1_250.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 25
If you want a magic bag system, have it in a duffle bag. Very CP2020, carry/duffle/army bags are used by the many semi-nomadic Night City residents. Hard to find you if you don't stay in one place and although R.tal missed the boat on cellphone -size- they guessed the ubiquitousness pf them pretty closely. Everyone is always in touch in 2020 and no doubt in 2077 as well.

So people can and do live pretty mobile lives. Also, poor.

Duffle bags full of goods for all!

I believe I saw two of them in Palladium Rifts sourcebooks (a long time ago).

I also imagine the situation :

- where is my +2 AK 47 against Arasaka Security Shock Troopers ?

With hands shuffling through the carrybag as the firefight erupts :D

Good eye. The red 'borg is definitely from Rifts.

And yeah; anyone that 'Borged out that *didn't* have a corporate logo on 'em somewhere, walking around Downtown, I'd imagine that the cops would be KEENLY interested in what they were up to...

And yeah; anyone that 'Borged out that *didn't* have a corporate logo on 'em somewhere, walking around Downtown, I'd imagine that the cops would be KEENLY interested in what they were up to...

You mean : shoot first, ask question later (after cleaning the mess) ?

And I know you're not saying that people don't collect IRL, but you're certainly forgetting that.

I know some collectors IRL (CCGs, minatures, kits, weapons, books, coins....).
None of them ever carry their whole collection with them when on holidays, at work, in buses or trains.
In fact, some even have a room to house that collection.
Go figure...

I couldn't care less about collecting while playing, but that was just one example of why it's nice to have a weight-limited IS as opposed to an item-limited one. I am sure players will get the chance to store important weapons, etc. in in-game caches.

Even during game play, it's not about collecting per se, it's more that the player believes he might need certain items in the future. For example, you just looted an area which will become inaccessible once you leave it, and now you have to decide between a gun that does freeze damage and another which does exploding damage (let's make both items rare), and since you can only carry one gun at a time, you have to leave one behind. It's more favorable for the player to be able to leave with both guns.

This was a combat specific scenario, but you can imagine all sorts of other scenarios where the player may benefit from not having an item-limited inventory system.

Even during game play, it's not about collecting per se, it's more that the player believes he might need certain items in the future. For example, you just looted an area which will become inaccessible once you leave it, and now you have to decide between a gun that does freeze damage and another which does exploding damage (let's make both items rare), and since you can only carry one gun at a time, you have to leave one behind. It's more favorable for the player to be able to leave with both guns.

thats example is exactly why id like a realistically limited inventory

you shouldnt be able to carry everything you want. you need to make choices, you need to think before you act. if i can bring everything i want then combat preparation has no purpose. the game would resemble a common grinder

I..think you should be able to carry everything you want, because I hate organzing my inventory. It's dull and requires little of my capacious brain power.

On the other hand I think you should be limite din what you carry because RPG-out-of-Buttocks is dumb.

I'm conflicted.

I like the idea of endless inventory for cool stuff like mem sticks and trophies. Maybe even ammo. -wince-.

I..think you should be able to carry everything you want, because I hate organzing my inventory. It's dull and requires little of my capacious brain power.

On the other hand I think you should be limite din what you carry because RPG-out-of-Buttocks is dumb.

I'm conflicted.

I like the idea of endless inventory for cool stuff like mem sticks and trophies. Maybe even ammo. -wince-.

I wish I knew if you were joking or not, because I actually agree with you, and that makes me feel very uncomfortable.

And I don't care what they do in the game as long as the "Infinite Inventory" mod is among the first released. I can fully accept peoples' desires for realistic inventory, but I hate having to decide what to keep and what to sell on a first playthrough. Unlimited storage is an acceptable alternative though.

Yar; I'm not fussed by unlimited storage, just unlimited ability to carry any and everything on your person. Seems a bit ridiculous, imo.

Why are you guys talking in extremes? :) I am sure you've played other RPGs where you have had a weight limited inventory system, and even with such a system the player has to drop items when they reach the weight limit, say 70/70 (that's not in any specific metric unit). Even RL soldiers or whatever have a backpack. I am certainly not proposing an unlimited inventory system, if I was I wouldn't be using the term weight-LIMITED inventory system. It's not an official term, so I should have explained what I meant by it, I guess.

Besides that, a game should have a reasonable amount of aesthetic value, and seeing every bit of inventory on your character decreases that. I don't want to see a backpack either, it's really not worth thinking about how the guy is carrying everything. I don't need every bit of game minutiae spoon fed to me.

There is very little game play value in limiting the inventory system to items that can only be seen on your person, as suggested by OP, if the combat system revolves around on brute force.

To be honest, if the Devs implement clever and interesting combat mechanics in this game, nothing else will matter. But then players will never get to play as a brute.

Well, Flash, partyle we're talking in extremes, ( burn all white cats! Err..what?), because the compromise system of weight-management manages to have the sucky bits of inventory control, ( ugh, Ihave to drop stuff to pick this up? ALREADY?!) along with the sucky bits of RPG-From-Buttocks silliness.

Yes, Dragon, that means we agree on something. I know. I'm scared too. Just back away slowly and don't make eye contact and Never.Speak.Of.This.Again.

"Game play value" is a term so relative as to be nearly meaningless, though. Every person has a set of things they enjoy. Some of them are similar, some wildly different. I have no idea how people play LoL without jumping through the nearest plate glass window. I've tried, but the whole setting has exactly zero gameplay value for me. Even the game-strictures employed, solid though they may be, are just myeh for me.

The value for me of limiting the items, specifically weapons and significant gear, to what is on your person or in your duffle bag, is that it deepens my immersion while giving me an element of tactical consideration. Two things I like.

The trick is that tactical consideration rapidly becomes exasperation if I can't put shiny things in my backpack for later chortling.

What? I'm a combat-enhanced magpie, screw you kids!

Why are you guys talking in extremes?

-snip-

I am certainly not proposing an unlimited inventory system, if I was I wouldn't be using the term weight-LIMITED inventory system. It's not an official term, so I should have explained what I meant by it, I guess.
?...

Uh... which guys, in particular, would be "you guys?"

You seem to be having an argument in someone's direction, but I'm not sure I follow whom the addressee is. o_O

Anyhoo.

I'm just stating opinions in relation to the issue, rather than attributing "fault" or anything of the like to a poster.

Except Sardukhar. That guy will pee in your Cheerios first chance he gets, and have a good laugh about it afterwards. ;-p

What Sardukhar said (shudder).

My problem is that, if we're discussing reality, my PC is probably a street-savvy person who has somehow managed to survive and grow to adulthood in this world, but on my first playthrough, there's this brainless noob sitting behind the keyboard who doesn't know a damn thing about the relative value of different inventory items, and whether that "Oooh Shiny!" is a vital component for the greatest weapon in the game or something that goes into the "Junk" category. I don't want to have to keep agonising over "take it or leave it". Personal preference :)

So first playthrough, unlimited. Second playthrough, whatever the game thinks is reasonable, whether it be based on weight, volume, numbers, whatever.

I mentioned extremes because one guy is talking about unlimited inventory while someone else mentioned very limited inventory, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular (so everyone can take offense :) ). I like things to be balanced. Perhaps the game will be designed in a way that will render inventory system concerns moot.

So, like Dragonbird and Sardukhar said, we all have our preferences. I just hope that the mod kit is released with, or soon after, the game.

Oh look, I am a tourist now. Do I get anything?

Wait, weren't you that guy who wants to play as a solo. Yeah, I think I'll -not- step into any corridors you're mentioning, thanks.

Lol, not shoot me colors.

Top Bottom