Being Visibly Armed,Holsters and Trunks

+
Dear CDPR

Please don't do this kind of shit. Thanks.

Even though Lara had a strap on her it still acted like a magnet. Rifles,SMG's and Shotguns should be handled like this.

and the strap should behave like a strap! Don't tell me shit like 'In a game there'd be a slight delay with getting your gun because of the strap animation' well why not make that part of the game the player has to have his weapon ready when he/she senses danger. Why not have a skill that makes the animation faster.

NO FUCKING MAGNETS!

Well. Since you asked.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/brad-kozak/gear-review-magna-arm-magnetic-holster/

View attachment 693

And for CP2020:

"Magnetic holster and gear pouch

Availability : Poor
Reference : Datafortress 2020
Cost : 75 eb each
Space : none
Affixed to the outside of the ACPA or borg wherever room allows, these are simple leather or hard shells pouches, holsters, scabbards, etc. that act like web gear for full conversions and ACPA. Even light borgs and hardsuits, or for that matter metal gear, can make use of these. The have no space cost and are limited in size and shape only by common sense."

From Wisdom. WISDOM.

WISDOM YOU HAVE BETRAYED US.

Attachments

• tn_480_car.jpg
    tn_480_car.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 39
Well. Since you asked.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/brad-kozak/gear-review-magna-arm-magnetic-holster/

View attachment 469

And for CP2020:

Affixed to the outside of the ACPA or borg wherever room allows, these are simple leather or hard shells pouches, holsters, scabbards, etc. that act like web gear for full conversions and ACPA. Even light borgs and hardsuits, or for that matter metal gear, can make use of these. The have no space cost and are limited in size and shape only by common sense."

I guess these'd be okay if they were maybe explained on a cutscene and it actually feels like a magnet(through the animation). It should be unique too if everyone uses this then it'd just be a tacked on solution.

Well. Since you asked.

View attachment 469

And for CP2020:

From Wisdom. WISDOM.

WISDOM YOU HAVE BETRAYED US.

Magnets are the way of the future...

I cannot agree enough with this thread and the concept of 'how much can someone carry'. EYE: Divine Cybermancy had a good take on it. You have a set number of open slots per location in which to carry everything. Each item was a certain shape and size, taking up different amounts of slots in different combinations.
View attachment 875
There is no way you can hold a weapon in arm pouchs, but smaller weapons will fit in leg pouches and across your chest/back.

If a system based on the weight and concealability of items could be implamented, I would be happy. By all means have a bag/backpack that can carry more gear, but the actual amount of weaponry that can be used at one time needs to realistically limited. Clothing and webing can make a big difference here, obviously, but common sense should still play a major role.

Stash bags may be an option. In the PnP CP2020, I always bought several sturdy canvas hold-alls. I would take a couple folded up in my pockets and any excess ammo or gear that I would not need on hand at all times lived in another one that I would stash away while I had to pay attention to what was going on. (I even switched one that had prototype gear in it, (read: expensive mission objective,) that we were supposed to recover and did a runner, leaving the party with a bag of scrap and C4 with a light sensetive detonator. Happy times...)
If we can dump off these 'stash bags' do our fighting and pick them up again when we have a hand free, it could solve the unrealistic carrying capacity conundrum.

Vehicles with storage is another option I am in favour of.

Attachments

• 1312481196.jpg
    1312481196.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 42
My take is have as much junk as you want. Just have to pay for a place to store the stuff, and risk getting it stolen. Carry as much as you want but there are penalties for the weight. Carry to much and it starts to drag down your Reflexes. Backpacks and duffle bags are good for carrying stuff. Just be sure to have accurate weights. Ammo is heavy. If NPCs are going to react different ways to the way PCs are dressed maybe that could be extended to carried items. Try explaining to the cops why you are carrying 3 AKs splattered with blood.

I do like the idea of showing weapons. Have the holster you by determine where it goes. If you want dual shoulder holsters that is what you buy, and that determines where they go. A hip holster goes on your belt. A drop holster winds up on your thigh. A paddle holster for the small of your back.

As far as magnets go check out http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/

My take is have as much junk as you want. Just have to pay for a place to store the stuff, and risk getting it stolen. Carry as much as you want but there are penalties for the weight. Carry to much and it starts to drag down your Reflexes. Backpacks and duffle bags are good for carrying stuff. Just be sure to have accurate weights. Ammo is heavy. If NPCs are going to react different ways to the way PCs are dressed maybe that could be extended to carried items. Try explaining to the cops why you are carrying 3 AKs splattered with blood.

I do like the idea of showing weapons. Have the holster you by determine where it goes. If you want dual shoulder holsters that is what you buy, and that determines where they go. A hip holster goes on your belt. A drop holster winds up on your thigh. A paddle holster for the small of your back.

As far as magnets go check out http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/
Couldn't agree more on the idea of how NPC's react to the player being based on what they see. May be worth bearing the 'Big Brother' aspect as well, becase I am sure that almost everything will be covered in camera's in nicer area's, less so on the other end of the scale. The police should be aware if your carrying or using illegal weaponry based on the security level of the area your operating in.

As for holsters; spot on. Combine that with a locational inventory system and you can put holsters and pouches wherever you want on your person, and then place weapons in those holsters, thus giving quick access to them and organising them for quick equiping. Of course, having 2 hands, dual weilding pistols and some SMG's should be available.Get enough chrome and maybe even smaller AR's could be dual weilded. Obviously, if all your holsters are right handed, your just not going to be able to grab a holstered weapon for your left hand.
I don't imagine anyone could carry more than 3 weapons on slings and use them effectively. Maybe 4 if they were beefy. Then again, different weapons on slings will take up different amounts of space. The reflex penalties could come in at this point also. It's not just the weight of what your carrying, but bulk too. If I was packing 4 handguns and 2 SMG's in holsters as well as carrying carrying a Sniper Rifle, 2 Assault Rifles and a Shotgun on slings, (not to mention several sheathed knives and a few blocks of C6,) not only would I be weighed down by all those weapons, I would not have much room to carry ammo, nor would I be able to efficiently equip those weapons because there would be so many others in the way. I would also look ridiculous. Afterall, I would have no room for my RPG!

That said, I think players should have the option to become walking armories. I am also in favour of letting players learn the hard way. (I play EVE Online. For anyone who has not experienced it's unique learning curve, here is an accurate diagram:)

Attachments

• 4pwao8.jpg
    4pwao8.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 54
  • eve-learning-curve.jpg
    eve-learning-curve.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 43
Having players have to control and limit their weapon inventory should force players to go cyber; if they want concealed weaponry anyway. I'm definitely a fan of a realistic approach to character inventory, especially if this fits into any themes of danger and competitiveness.

If you've got a rocket launcher I want to see it, I want to know you intend to use it. I don't want to start talking to a punk who can pull a railgun out of their jacket; a mono-filament knife or Militech Citygun maybe, but nothing huge. Start messing around like that and soon their won't be any grit in Night City, just a bunch of power-players with nothing to lose.

It seems like every thread on this forum revolves around one simple statement; "They'd better not fuck this up!"

Having players have to control and limit their weapon inventory should force players to go cyber; if they want concealed weaponry anyway. I'm definitely a fan of a realistic approach to character inventory, especially if this fits into any themes of danger and competitiveness.

If you've got a rocket launcher I want to see it, I want to know you intend to use it. I don't want to start talking to a punk who can pull a railgun out of their jacket; a mono-filament knife or Militech Citygun maybe, but nothing huge. Start messing around like that and soon their won't be any grit in Night City, just a bunch of power-players with nothing to lose.

It seems like every thread on this forum revolves around one simple statement; "They'd better not fuck this up!"

Well, in cyberpunk universe, concealing cybernetic implants (weapons) is not always easy. Sure, you are not visibly armed, but in places where you get checked you police and such, any scan done on you would show any illegal cybernetics you got. (well, it depends on your cybernetic implants really, i'm sure Wisdom would explain it better.)

So, having cybernetic implants instead of carrying weapons is not always a good solution..

While I understand the sentiment, I have to say this: we should have realistic expectations about the content that will make it to the game. My main thing is about playing a game which successfully translates the style and unique gameplay mechanics of the PnP RPG, and as long as that happens, I'll be happy.

But I am not saying we shouldn't make threads about discussing stuff- I mean, who knows, maybe some of this stuff will make it to the game, so keep discussing ^^

While I understand the sentiment, I have to say this: we should have realistic expectations about the content that will make it to the game. My main thing is about playing a game which successfully translates the style and unique gameplay mechanics of the PnP RPG, and as long as that happens, I'll be happy.

But I am not saying we shouldn't make threads about discussing stuff- I mean, who knows, maybe some of this stuff will make it to the game, so keep discussing ^^
Persoanlly, I find the game world and how we will interact with it to be more important than the actual mechanics matching those of the PnP. That's my take on the "Style over Substance" concept.

Top Bottom