Can we finally make Endrega Larva less broken?

+
Good morning peeps :)

Define Easy. Larva are not easy to kill. One of the Larvas, yes. Both of them NOT so (unless we add the terrible Sandstrom just to counter this one unit - which I had done too). So, if opponent kills one Larva immediately and the next the next turn, they have already soaked up 7 points of damage to themselves. 7 points on damage is HUGE value than putting 7 points body on board.

Hhmmpphmm... :think:

- Okay, you're not wrong here, 7 points are a lot indeed.
You dont always have to kill it though, locking it works and reseting it works good aswell and it's not like people aren't already teching against SK-NR-SC-SY (not that much against NG nowdays), most of those tools work against MOs aswell.

Look here mate, i understand what you're saying though in this power crept meta we play atm, nerfing this card will make it unplayable imo (maybe remove one armor..?).

I don't know man, really... just how many viable bronze engines do MOs have..?
Atm MOs.... all they have are Points, only good (competively) at interacting with the enemy (control) when playing OH and not even great at that if you compare em with the top factions.

My point is that... the only thing you need to do (most of the times) to win against mosters is to dmg the right units at the right time (denying dominance). We dont have that many bronze engines that have a good synergy with the Leader Abilities played in the current meta, unless you switch to Fruits and play a Fledger i guess ? (5 - 1 + 4 = 9 in 4turns).

And you know what..?
In this meta that you literaly have a BiG@ss Dragon having a feast on everyone's decks a *meme* deck like
Ciri - Keltullis you have people complaining about bugs...lol :coolstory:
...and yeah i know you need a certain setup for that but still, think about it, there is so much removal and
ways-strategies to deal with things in the game that even that can be stopped and when it does it falls flat on it's face.

As i don't think your logic is bad here mate what i propose is for us to wait for this next expansion and then let's talk about it some more.

Cheers !:beer:

Last edited:
this thread is.

Someone with a meta deck has lost to a MO deck with larvas and he is angry.

Just back to your meta deck and you will win 90% of the time anyway. Those 10% its just a bad draw or something like that

this thread is.

Someone with a meta deck has lost to a MO deck with larvas and he is angry.

Just back to your meta deck and you will win 90% of the time anyway. Those 10% its just a bad draw or something like that
I hate to disappoint, but Monsters is my second most played faction, and it also seems like it's the most popular faction at the moment. I can still acknowledge that it has broken cards even though I'm a Monster player myself, just like I suggested potential nerfs to Skellige (my main faction) after Master Mirror dropped.

P.S. I am angry that people constantly complain about Monsters being pitifully weak, even now. I've been easily gathering wins with the faction since the introduction of Master Mirror.

Just played a game where they grew to 4 power each within just three turns AND tanked all the pings from my Tridams. Of course that doesn't happen all the time, but this card is definitely not okay as it is now. If you destroy one with a damage card then there's still one left that will go to like 7 power in a medium length round, especially with Auberon. Very frustrating to play against.

Meta report show that MO is not dominating so I do not think that these larves should be nerved

Actually I consider this solution to be the most appropriate but then they should maybe start with 3 armour.
3) They should thrive only on Barricade

Make Thrive conditioned by "barricade" tag! Great idea, more interesting then just removing 1 point of armor too.

Even if Larva play for 16 points (which would be highly unusual), at least they are interactive, and they do not provide a bonus tempo on two turns.
Every card is interactive in some way save those with Immunity. And having to deal with two engines instead of one is definitely worthy to be called "uninteractive".

Even if Larva play for 16 points (which would be highly unusual), at least they are interactive, and they do not provide a bonus tempo on two turns.

I searched larva on forum after playing a match vs MO with 4 larvas in 3rd round. All 4 boosted to 8 power.
36 power for 10P. Yeah, I know it's not a common occurence, but it happens and it's f****n overwhelming.

Maybe we could make Larva transform into 5/6 power card upon reaching 5/6 power? - so it stops evolving at some point. It would make 10/12 power for 5P, which seems fairer?

I searched larva on forum after playing a match vs MO with 4 larvas in 3rd round. All 4 boosted to 8 power.
36 power for 10P. Yeah, I know it's not a common occurence, but it happens and it's f****n overwhelming.

Maybe we could make Larva transform into 5/6 power card upon reaching 5/6 power? - so it stops evolving at some point. It would make 10/12 power for 5P, which seems fairer?
That actually sounds reasonable and is similar to how Greatswords were tackled, being more reliable and having a higher floor, while having a limited ceiling.
In that case I would suggest also converting 1 point of their armor into base strenght, making them 2 base strenght, 1 armor, starting at the same point value of Greatswords and peaking at the same value, while being stronger in being 1 provision cheaper and more difficult to remove, yet having no graveyard value (unlike Greatswords) and having to actively be pushed to grow, while taking 3 turns (without multi-play cards), unlike Greatswords, which can reach their 10 base strength immediately.

rrc

Forum veteran
And others have said, that is largely thanks to Larvae, without Larvae MO will more than likely not be a part of the meta.
Seriously? Are we still playing the same card that "MO is weak and needs ridiculously cheap OP cards to survive"? Larva is just one small aspect of why MO is THE TOP faction in the game (MO has higher winrate than SK or ST according to Team Legacy report). Larva being 6 would make an impact, but it wont be as drastic as others call out. MO will have to play well and copy a good netdeck which balances after 6P Larva.

Just accept the fact that MO is the TOP faction (that is, having a leader which is the top of the meta) and be happy with it. Please don't keep repeating the same old statements that "MO is dead. RIP MO" which were valid only several months back.

Seriously? Are we still playing the same card that "MO is weak and needs ridiculously cheap OP cards to survive"? Larva is just one small aspect of why MO is THE TOP faction in the game (MO has higher winrate than SK or ST according to Team Legacy report). Larva being 6 would make an impact, but it wont be as drastic as others call out. MO will have to play well and copy a good netdeck which balances after 6P Larva.

Just accept the fact that MO is the TOP faction (that is, having a leader which is the top of the meta) and be happy with it. Please don't keep repeating the same old statements that "MO is dead. RIP MO" which were valid only several months back.

Calm down champ, never said monsters were dead.

The obvious flaw with your argument is larvae is not a new card, why wasn't MO always OP if MO had all these broken bronze cards? The reason MO is now doing well is because the devs screwed up with scenarios. Prior to that it was Ethereal, a non MO exploit card holding up the faction. Frost is garbage as usual and the other leader abilities are either dead or useless. I don't support the MO meta at the moment but that's largely because of the scenario and the introduction of echo cards so basically the entire MM expansion made the game worse. Detlaff isn't a new card, deathwish isn't some new mechanic and OH isn't a new leader . Scenarios should be removed from the game, no card should add that many points and require no setup...that goes for all scenarios. It gives the perception of strength but take away haunt and then tell us how OP it is compared to the others dominating. I probably won't play the game again until scenarios are removed or balanced and by the look of this patch nothing has changed so I guess I'll check back next expansion or if Cyberpunk is finally released probably not for a while

Last edited:
SK has Greatswords, NR has Frigate, SY has Fallen Knight, all of which can easily play for way more than their 6 provisions.

SC has Hawker Smuggler and whilst they might not have as great a 6 provision unit as the above, they do have Hamadryad for 5 provisions which can easily hit >15 points.

The only faction without a solid 6 provision unit is unsurprisingly NG. Their best option in their 5 point Thirsty Dame.

We're still talking bout this..? :sneaky:

MOs are not an "RiP" faction, that can be said with certainty after all the changes that were made to the game with the MM patches.
It didn't start that great but still it gave Monsters a good competitive leader.

Sad thing is that it's mostly the OH decks that rule, there's little variety when it comes down to deck creativity.
The rest of the leader abilities can hardly compete unless they're pulling off some meme shenanigans like CP Ciri-Keltullis which can be played around mind you if you can see it coming.

Same thing can be said bout other factions, most of the factions have only one competitive LA (leader ability).
Maybe that's the best the gwent team can do atm...we'll just have to wait and see what this balancing patch will bring (mid of month).

On a last note...
... larva do play for more than they worth when they survive but the same thing can be said about a lot of other cards. MOs play for points, other factions have a ton of control and removal. Larvas, most of the time get slaughtered as they can't really be boosted like NR Frigates let's say...

I main MOs and when I face MOs I always go for their engines first and that wins me the match more often than not.
In a meta that it's plagued by cheap removals we're talking about bugs...
...c'mon man ! :coolstory:

Last edited:
"Endrega Larva" should absolutely cost 6 Provisions. This card is truly insane, at least on the same level as "An Craite Greatsword" or "Kerack Frigate" with its sheer point output and ability to absorb a lot of damage, and it's actually far stronger than most of the other units that cost 6-Provisions. Now that the Monster faction is finally competitive, can we finally attempt to balance this incredibly broken Bronze card?
Monsters need endrega larva, without it monsters suck

Top Bottom