Can we pick our biological sex in game by choosing the male option in text?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
In most games you can pick your biological sex. You choose male or female. Can we do that in this game? I just want to be sure my character has a penis; and not a penis that has been added through surgery or cybernetic enhancements, but actually born with a penis. I hope that's not too much to ask. It would increase immersion to know my male character has male anatomy; born a biological male.

I'm worried that if I choose a male looking character, that all of a sudden in game, during a romance scene, he might lay back and spread his legs, but only to reveal he has a vagina, and the woman all of a sudden whips out her schlong. Such a scene would scar me for the rest of my life and I would like very much to avoid such an event.

You get to choose to have a penis and how big it is, so I can only assume that if you choose that at character creation, the game will be the same as your V having been biologically male in that sense.

You choose a masculine/feminine body. You can choose penis size on a masculine body, not sure if that translates to a feminine body as well. You can also choose whether you have a masculine/feminine voice for your character after choosing your body. I believe the choice of voice dictates how people treat you in-game.

Regardless, maybe this isn't the game for you if body modification so easily scars you?

In most games you can pick your biological sex. You choose male or female. Can we do that in this game? I just want to be sure my character has a penis; and not a penis that has been added through surgery or cybernetic enhancements, but actually born with a penis. I hope that's not too much to ask. It would increase immersion to know my male character has male anatomy; born a biological male.

I'm worried that if I choose a male looking character, that all of a sudden in game, during a romance scene, he might lay back and spread his legs, but only to reveal he has a vagina, and the woman all of a sudden whips out her schlong. Such a scene would scar me for the rest of my life and I would like very much to avoid such an event.

Seriously?`What a weird fear is that? Can't help but feel this is a stab against transgender people and their supporters.
It's just that the character creator doesn't force you into traditional gender roles, but it's still you who decides.

LOL oh wow you got me good, I wasn't expecting that. Hey don't worry, in fact nobody worry, everything I've heard so far indicates that everyone will be able to choose what they've got when creating their character in the beginning, so everyone is happy. :)
I want to create a female character, but she has both sets of equipment downstairs, just because I think that's really cool. I know I can choose one or the other, but I hope that it's possible to choose both. I think there were hints indicating this was possible, but I'm not sure, and a little bit worried about it. But hopefully things will be okay.
In 2077 there is no biological gender. Maybe there never was..?

I may be mistaken, but I read somewhere that sex is like the biological term like someone has XY vs XX chromosomes (and the equipment they have), and gender is more like how a person presents or views themselves behavior wise and psychologically. Like sex = what's the physical make-up of the body down to the DNA level, and Gender is like "who I really am/feel like on the inside" Not judging anyone, I'm just saying it's something I read and I found it interesting because I always wondered about those two different terms/definitions and how or why they could in different situations be used interchangeably or not depending on what exactly was being described. I think it's fascinating how some people have one set of equipment and chromosomes, but they're so different in the other direction in every other physical and behavioral way. Like I guess (to say things extremely simply, for the sake of making it less complicated to describe) Tomboys, and Tomgirls. (nickname only referring to adults) (I've always seen these terms used in friendly ways, never in bad ways)

Also, there is this other word I know some people get upset if this word is used, but there are also other people who say they're fine with the word being used as long as it's not used in a mean way, and it's used politely, so I guess contextually, and situationally dependent on how and where and when you use it, so I will try my best to use it in a nice way. The term "Trap" is interesting and lots of people argue that it's actually a complement because the person is for example XX or XY genetically, as in they're biological sex is one thing, but they're so good at I guess representing a certain way as in gender, that they look so convincing and beautiful that other people look at them and just see their gender and assume 100% that it's the same as the biological sex.

Like Tomboys or Tomgirls (nickname only referring to adults) they can both succeed in being so I guess beautiful in the way they're trying that they can both succeed in being "Traps", so anyone from both biological sexes can be a Trap If I am not mistaken.

I guess the people who are doing the whole "Trap" thing, go on a date and then things happen and there is a "reveal" and the other partner sometimes says "Wow I didn't know" and it's this whole play on words from admiral ackbar "it's a trap!" because the person didn't know and there's this %50/50 chance they say "I'm attracted to this, I can roll with this" and "Sorry not my thing, but hey haha you really got me there, yea sure we can still be friends hit me up later we will play video games together" or something like that.

Again this is not judging anyone, just a very interesting discussion and thought process on the whole thing, and of course just my own perspective, (well maybe not just my own since I did a bunch of research on it in my spare time, but hey feel free to disagree or tell me why I'm wrong, It's cool to talk)
This is just what I have come to understand so far. It can be simple, but also complicated. Also please take note that I'm only talking about highly specific groups, and not making assumptions about some other different category or definition or anything (because I know someone will get confused and make an assumption and be upset with me) So no worries, I'm not doing that.

(This is a learning opportunity for me)

You choose a masculine/feminine body. You can choose penis size on a masculine body, not sure if that translates to a feminine body as well. You can also choose whether you have a masculine/feminine voice for your character after choosing your body. I believe the choice of voice dictates how people treat you in-game.
Regardless, maybe this isn't the game for you if body modification so easily scars you?
You get to choose to have a penis and how big it is, so I can only assume that if you choose that at character creation, the game will be the same as your V having been biologically male in that sense.
Okay what I'm really curious about, is how the game will handle things like this.
>Male face and body, large male genitals only, extremely high pitched female voice
>Female face and body, female genitals only, extremely deep manly voice
>Female face and body, large male genitals, female voice
>Male face and body, extremely tiny male genitals, male voice
>Male face and body, extremely tiny male genitals, female voice
>Female face and body, extremely tiny male genitals, female voice
>Female face and body, extremely tiny male genitals, male voice

I'm really curious how the game will handle this and decide which way or what, since the game doesn't really appear to let people choose this stuff in the menu, unless the game really never decides anything, and just calls the player V 100% of the time no matter what (which is kind of a cool way of doing it)

Last edited:
I'm still not entirely clear on what combinations are possible but I'm sure that by the time you leave character creation you'll know, and have chosen, what's between your legs!

So no need to worry about surprises - at least when it comes to your character anyway ;)

I was under the impression that you choose male or female body type and male or female voice but then have access to all hairstyles, makeup and accessories. Possibly even faces?

I'm guessing it's the voice that dictates how people perceive your gender and react to you but yeah, just a guess. There has to be something that finalises your gender or else how could npc's know whether you're romanceable, for example.

I'm sure someone on here knows more; I haven't delved as much into the info about this as I have other aspects of the game.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I must be mistaken about the voice thing. I mean, if you chose a male voice to present as a man but had a vagina then what would happen in cutscenes when you romance a straight woman? That would be an awful lot of work for CDPR, no? So maybe it's the genitals that govern how npcs react? I really don't know...

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, but I read somewhere that sex is like the biological term like someone has XY vs XX chromosomes (and the equipment they have), and gender is more like how a person presents or views themselves behavior wise and psychologically. Like sex = what's the physical make-up of the body down to the DNA level, and Gender is like "who I really am/feel like on the inside"

You're right, I was (deceptively) pointing to that by using the term "gender", which isn't biologically defined. As far as I know, the distribution of X- and Y-chromosomes isn't as simple as we learn in school. There are for example many people which our society defines as "men"/"male" that have not 1 but two X-chromosomes AND a Y-chromosome. These "men" still have a penis etc. but they have some biological (e. g. hormonal) differences.

So there just isn't a clear line, even with chromosome-distribution. And that leads to an argument by some people saying that even "biological" sex is just another form of socially coded gender – and that's okay. If it helps you to feel good by saying "I'm a XY-male human", go for it. Just don't impose that anything else isn't "normal".

(I'm not saying, you were doing that, fridgeband. But some people do overemphasize the biological factor and there's historical and political reasons for that – which shows, that there's nothing "natural" about it, unless we define "nature" in a specific way.)

You're right, I was (deceptively) pointing to that by using the term "gender", which isn't biologically defined. As far as I know, the distribution of X- and Y-chromosomes isn't as simple as we learn in school. There are for example many people which our society defines as "men"/"male" that have not 1 but two X-chromosomes AND a Y-chromosome. These "men" still have a penis etc. but they have some biological (e. g. hormonal) differences.

So there just isn't a clear line, even with chromosome-distribution. And that leads to an argument by some people saying that even "biological" sex is just another form of socially coded gender – and that's okay. If it helps you to feel good by saying "I'm a XY-male human", go for it. Just don't impose that anything else isn't "normal".

(I'm not saying, you were doing that, fridgeband. But some people do overemphasize the biological factor and there's historical and political reasons for that – which shows, that there's nothing "natural" about it, unless we define "nature" in a specific way.)
Whoa that was so deep and subtle, I totally missed that.
And yes I have heard about the XXY stuff before too, and hormonal differences.
And yea I'm not saying anything about myself, just talking in general.
And yes, I have also heard the political discussion about it, and intentionally did not steer into that territory.
That's all very interesting. Everyone also seems to think of an idealized version of nature, but everyone's idea is slightly different, and then the reality is also very different. Even then, reality sometimes appears to be incredibly well defined, but then at other times it seems to suddenly surprise the observer in mysterious ways. I find it interesting how the more humans try to understand reality, the more they realize the less they actually know. This is why I like the matrix theory so much, whether its program as in computer, or spiritual based dream simulation.
I'm extremely excited to see how far character customization in Cyberpunk2077 will actually go. I really hope it goes all the way, and then goes even further. That's one of the big points of the game isn't it? How humanity is going further, and maybe too far? So interesting.

I feel like this topic was posted to foster debate. However I will "bite" and participate as respectfully as possible.

The condition where people have two X chromosomes or more and a Y chromosome is exceedingly rare falling far short from normal. As for "Sex" and "Gender" historically this has meant the exact same thing. People have, for the sake of political agendas mostly, sought to redefine what "gender" means now. This redefining of terms isn't isolated to that. The word "Queer" meaning strange, and "gay" meaning happy. Have been redefined as well. Very often these redefinitions do happen naturally as time moves on and new trends come and go. Gender did not change naturally. This new concept came as a means to further divide people so certain people in power could capitalize on it to remain in power. The victims of this happen to be people with gender dysphoria and trans-sexuals. As the former does not receive the sort of psychological help they require leading to extraordinarily high rates of suicides and acceptance has caused the disorder to spread. Trans-sexuals suffer because they lived their life as a man or woman in peace until suddenly politics got involved and shone a spotlight on them causing them a harder time. What people call "barely passible" now people used to be able to shrug off as "I guess she's a little on the brawny side." Unfortunately, men aren't as dismissive anymore. Which actually leads us to a third victim of this. Women who do look a bit more butch than average, now a man has to have a very uncomfortable conversation or not pursue her altogether.

Well there's my piece on the subject.

Last edited:
I'm extremely excited to see how far character customization in Cyberpunk2077 will actually go. I really hope it goes all the way, and then goes even further. That's one of the big points of the game isn't it? How humanity is going further, and maybe too far? So interesting.

That's exactly what's so great about fiction, especially (for me) Cyberpunk fiction (the genre). Expanding the horizon of imagination and thereby – maybe – of what is possible in reality.

That's exactly what's so great about fiction, especially (for me) Cyberpunk fiction (the genre). Expanding the horizon of imagination and thereby – maybe – of what is possible in reality.
I love this! :smart:
How so? :shrug:
I feel like this topic was posted to foster debate. However I will "bite" and participate as respectfully as possible.

The condition where people have two X chromosomes or more and a Y chromosome is exceedingly rare falling far short from normal. As for "Sex" and "Gender" historically this has meant the exact same thing. People have, for the sake of political agendas mostly, sought to redefine what "gender" means now. This redefining of terms isn't isolated to that. The word "Queer" meaning strange, and "gay" meaning happy. Have been redefined as well. Very often these redefinitions do happen naturally as time moves on and new trends come and go. Gender did not change naturally. This new concept came as a means to further divide people so certain people in power could capitalize on it to remain in power. The victims of this happen to be people with gender dysphoria and trans-sexuals. As the former does not receive the sort of psychological help they require leading to extraordinarily high rates of suicides and acceptance has caused the disorder to spread. Trans-sexuals suffer because they lived their life as a man or woman in peace until suddenly politics got involved and shone a spotlight on them causing them a harder time. What people call "barely passible" now people used to be able to shrug off as "I guess she's a little on the brawny side." Unfortunately, men aren't as dismissive anymore. Which actually leads us to a third victim of this. Women who do look a bit more butch than average, now a man has to have a very uncomfortable conversation or not pursue her altogether.

Well there's my piece on the subject.
That is some complicated stuff. It's difficult for me to wrap my head around it. I will say I have noticed many different people on many different sides make all sorts of different arguments for a variety of many different conflicting political reasons or ideas and opinions, but the one thing I noticed the most, is that there seem to be very few people (being very general here on purpose, not getting into specifics in any way) that are actually arguing to help Transsexuals (or anyone in the whole LBGTXYZ>>>>>>>>>(and so on, I can't remember all the letters, sorry lol) in a way that Transexuals or LGBT people actually WANT to be helped, and without some hidden political goal or agenda in the background (again not mentioning any specifics)

To say this more simply, I notice that the LGBT crowd (some of which I have known to be some really really nice people who are far more down to earth than many propaganda sources may suggest) *(But hey of course there are all kinds of people in the world of all kinds to be fair)

Okay let me start over, I notice that the LGBT crowd usually just wants everyone to relax and do their own thing, and they just want everyone to let them do their own thing too. They want help in some ways, but in a way that doesn't make them feel like they're being judged or put into a metaphorical or figurative box of some kind. On the totally opposite end, I notice the political groups (on both sides, or really any random side which I will not mention) always rush in with silly preconceived notions that fit all their different agendas and try to use the LGBT crowd like a pivot or bargaining chip or like a box to stand on, and then attempt to push ideas on them.

The real legit casual normal random individual people (you know what I mean, like the non-agenda people who are just living and chilling out) in the LGBT crowd (I notice at least, from my perspective) are often like "What are you talking about... Pshhh, seriously? Cmon that's what you think? Please let me speak for myself, THANK YOU.... *sassy finger snapping* And have a nice day alright, but seriously chill the **** out Lol"

Like they are unhappy that others are constantly stepping up to attempt to represent them, without giving themselves a chance to actually represent themselves freely. (I hope I'm not being a hypocrite, but this needs to be said, I hope it helps in some way)

Also I did read about the whole suicide rates thing due to the whole "passing" thing, that is incredibly sad. I will say something for the LGBT crowd so that they know they're not alone. Even straight people that look one certain way, and have an idealized version of what they would like to be like in another certain way, or what they know they really feel like deep inside. Even among straight people, there is a real Dysphoria that does exist. Like being the correct sex according to what we see ourselves as, yet still looking/feeling/being the wrong way, even within that area. So straight people that are already the correct gender can also have Dysphoria in many ways too, So you're not alone. I hope this made someone feel even a little bit better. :)

Am I doing a good job of understanding? If not please help me understand better, I'm always learning. I hope I did a good job of making this plain text on the internet have a polite and friendly lighthearted tone. :)

Last edited:
You're right, I was (deceptively) pointing to that by using the term "gender", which isn't biologically defined.

Blimey, I always thought people started to feel like the world had changed drastically when they're in their 60's, but here I am at the age of 45 finding it all a minefield. At least in regards to this kind of stuff.

I'm still working with 'gender' being how you were born and 'gender identity' being how you feel. I mean, I always thought of having a 'sex?' section on a form you have to fill in as simply being a great opportunity to write 'yes please' ;) I've always felt 'gender' worked better because 'sex' is so often used as a verb, heh.

As for "Sex" and "Gender" historically this has meant the exact same thing.

Not refering to the quote first: It's interesting that you use words like "normal" and "naturally" – just pointing to my statement above: It's always to be defined, what "normal" and "natural" is.
I could go about the distribution of X/Y-chromosomes in two ways:
1. "Normal" is that, which I can count the most, therefore XX vs. XY-distribution is "normal"
2. "Normal" is that which occurs in nature, without human interference, and there are some (if not many) people with XXY, therefore they are "normal".
You just picked 1, I pick 2.

As for the quote and the historical meaning of those words: "Sex" can be traced back to the Latin word sexus and further to sectus, which means – among other things – "to cut", "to divide". You still see this in words like "section" or "segregation".
So it shows, that "dividing" is actually a cultural thing, something people do.

"Gender" goes back to Latin "genus", which means "kind" "type "sort", and could refer to all sorts of things. You still find this part of the meaning in the word "genre".

So both have a related meaning, albeit slightly different. But both point to the fact, that it is us who make the divisions and definitions.
Post automatically merged:

I love this! :smart:
How so? :shrug:

I don't know if I understand your "How so" and my example isn't exactly "Cyberpunk fiction" but a good friend of mine is in the army and there are also some – not lots of, but some – women in his unit (they are not a medical unit, by the way, to prevent that stereotype).
When talking to them, most of them refer to watching the Alien Trilogy as a teenager and being inspired by the character Ellen Ripley, some also by Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, and realizing for the first time, that a woman – that themselves – could be soldiers. In that way this fictional elements shaped reality, just by expanding their imagination.

Last edited:
To say this more simply, I notice that the LGBT crowd (some of which I have known to be some really really nice people who are far more down to earth than many propaganda sources may suggest) *(But hey of course there are all kinds of people in the world of all kinds to be fair)

Well I'm a part of the G crowd, and like many of my fellow Gs We don't really associate ourselves as part of the LGBT+++++ group. We're mostly appropriated to push political agendas that we don't agree with. I can point you to hundreds who will tell you exactly that. I know many "Ls" who really hate being associated with the Ts but don't mind being associated with the Gs and Bs. Most of the Bs are considered outcasts among the LGB group, but many of we Gs consider all women Bs and don't care. Many Gs like the Bs, but worry about getting into relationships with Bs. No fault on the Bs.
So I hope I'm among the "nice" Gs that you know. :p

Not refering to the quote first: It's interesting that you use words like "normal" and "naturally" – just pointing to my statement above: It's always to be defined, what "normal" and "natural" is.
I could go about the distribution of X/Y-chromosomes in two ways:
1. "Normal" is that, which I can count the most, therefore XX vs. XY-distribution is "normal"
2. "Normal" is that which occurs in nature, without human interference, and there are some (if not many) people with XXY, therefore they are "normal".
You just picked 1, I pick 2.

As for the quote and the historical meaning of those words: "Sex" can be traced back to the Latin word sexus and further to sectus, which means – among other things – "to cut", "to divide". You still see this in words like "section" or "segregation".
So it shows, that "dividing" is actually a cultural thing, something people do.

"Gender" goes back to Latin "genus", which means "kind" "type "sort", and could refer to all sorts of things. You still find this part of the meaning in the word "genre".

So both have a related meaning, albeit slightly different. But both point to the fact, that it is us who make the divisions and definitions.

Post automatically merged:

I don't know if I understand your "How so" and my example isn't exactly "Cyberpunk fiction" but a good friend of mine is in the army and there are also some – not lots of, but some – women in his unit (they are not a medical unit, by the way, to prevent that stereotype).
When talking to them, most of them refer to watching the Alien Trilogy as a teenager and being inspired by the character Ellen Ripley, some also by Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, and realizing for the first time, that a woman – that themselves – could be soldiers. In that way this fictional elements shaped reality, just by expanding their imagination.
That is SO COOL. Those characters were very good, and inspiring also to guys as well. Inspiring to everyone.

Kind of like how the word "discrimination" or "discriminate" isn't automatically related to discrimination in a political or racial sense of the word, so much as how human beings (or robotic systems) as a survival and learning mechanism can learn to tell different things apart, like discriminate solid from liquid, or sky from earth, or a computer saying this is 1 and this is 0, and doing code with that. Probably lots of drone piloting systems need to discriminate all these things to know the difference from each of these things, none of them being inherently good or bad, just different from each other. Sort of like how everyone has a different taste in food, and how babies will often shake their heads at certain flavored baby food but prefer others, and how they need to be taught to not stick their fingers in electrical sockets and "discriminate" safe from unsafe and so on. Babies are kind of like little learning computers, they observe the world and look for connections. :shrug:

Well I'm a part of the G crowd, and like many of my fellow Gs We don't really associate ourselves as part of the LGBT+++++ group. We're mostly appropriated to push political agendas that we don't agree with. I can point you to hundreds who will tell you exactly that. I know many "Ls" who really hate being associated with the Ts but don't mind being associated with the Gs and Bs. Most of the Bs are considered outcasts among the LGB group, but many of we Gs consider all women Bs and don't care. Many Gs like the Bs, but worry about getting into relationships with Bs. No fault on the Bs.
So I hope I'm among the "nice" Gs that you know. :p
Psssh yea of coursh, I haven't met any bad ones! Just nice people all around really.
(And yea usually straight people struggle with the naming and the categories, so they just say LGBTXYZ and so on since it is their attempt to be as generalized as possible to not over or under do anyone in any way, but yes totally aware that everyone LGBTXYZ isn't automatically like best friends for no reason, like how some really silly people assume that everyone of one group somehow magically know each other lmao)

Edit: Random thing (don't get mad at me lol) (no hate to anyone) I once heard a lesbian woman say that she was mad at bi men (jokingly) because they were stealing all the hot women.
I was like "what really? No way?" I was confused and surprised and thought it was funny, but then she was like "Well I worry about it but it's probably fine".
I thought that was incredibly funny but then I also thought, :think:"yea I wonder if there is someone out there that's the reason I don't have a girl friend my entire life":smart:

LOL :ROFLMAO::ohstopit::howdy::beer:

:giveup:

Last edited:
Such a scene would scar me for the rest of my life and I would like very much to avoid such an event.

You mean like this? To be fair, in the world of CP2077, a world where so many people are trying to kill, betray and just walk over you to get what they want, I think V could handle the surprise ;)

Sorry if this is considered inappropriate, I felt it was just about ok? And I mean, who doesn't love ol' Leslie? Hope it's alright and doesn't upset anyone.

Moderator: Hello again, everybody. This is, understandably, a personal topic for many, who feel there's a lot to say. However, please, try to head the discussion back towards the game. Real life and fantasy overlap quite a bit in Cyberpunk, however, on the Forums, keep the discussion within the fantasy world. Otherwise, we will need to start deleting posts as off-topic. Thanks.

You mean like this? To be fair, in the world of CP2077, a world where so many people are trying to kill, betray and just walk over you to get what they want, I think V could handle the surprise ;)

Sorry if this is considered inappropriate, I felt it was just about ok? And I mean, who doesn't love ol' Leslie? Hope it's alright and doesn't upset anyone.
Dang dude, you know when you're like "hmmm yea I'm 200% straight" and then you see this person and you're like "JUST SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU, maybe I don't give a !@$%"
I would love to see that in Cyberpunk2077 for sure.
>just literally watch the whole internet break into a massive multi-year-long argument over what is considered straight or gay, simply as a reconciliatory and coping method to avoid questioning their own sexuality because of the fact that some Traps are in fact hot as hell.
When the internet asks "would you"
I might toss all definitions out the window, and Maybe I might say Maybe,
:shrug:
Edit:
You know I just did some exercise and jogging and my opinions have changed ever so slightly as a result of my clearer mind. :think:

I'm starting to think that this is the new guiles theme because it goes with everything, strangely, even with this it holds a whole new meaning.
scarily accurate in some ways, depending on the context.
Moderator: Hello again, everybody. This is, understandably, a personal topic for many, who feel there's a lot to say. However, please, try to head the discussion back towards the game. Real life and fantasy overlap quite a bit in Cyberpunk, however, on the Forums, keep the discussion within the fantasy world. Otherwise, we will need to start deleting posts as off-topic. Thanks.[/COLOR]
Just read this now. Got it.
I hope I'm (and everyone also) doing a really good job (so far anyway) of being respectful and fair and balanced. But yes, I will gladly return to more Cyberpunk2077 related discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom