CD PROJEKT Group: Strategy Update

+
If they only fix this game so it can get released back on consoles and then abandon the this game no one will buy their games ever again.

CD's presentation was essentially their plans to continue building upon the witcher and cyberpunk universes. Why would any one think they're going to abandon the game? If anything, this presentation has me looking forward to Cyberpunks future.

I don't blame them, the sunk cost is too high now.
I do. I'm the cheated customer, and I don't really care how much it should cost to deliver the game at least half of the promised.

Bugs are a hugely inferior issue in comparison to design flaws. Awful hacking, awful skill tree, no seamless food vending/implant install, no basic interaction with friendly/romanced NPCs after their questlines, cheap police, lazy AI, lots of them. This really hurts experience a lot.
Why would any one think they're going to abandon the game?
Coz it's easier to start a new one.

Last edited:
I'm with you in that they didn't cancel CP2077 MP. They cancelled it as a standalone but it's still happening. It's scale and scope will surely be reduced to accommodate this but it's still happening.

But our opinion diverge here - I'm not too worried about them wanted to add MP to their franchises. If it's done right. Right now it sounds a lot like they want to have a very cautious approach to all of it and rightfully so. A jump to meaningful MP isn't easy and requires a proper content pipeline which they simply lack right now. Although they aim to change it, it's not happening overnight and I don't expect CP2077 MP anytime soon.

Bottom line, as long as they keep true to their stated goal of creating SP games playing on their strengths I don't really mind some tacked on MP. I don't see it becoming a focus of theirs anytime soon.

I understand your point.

And ofc, the scope of the MP will be diminished because your not selling a full product that needs to be fully fleshed out. Some basic MP features are more then enough of a reason to justify opening an ingame cash shop. If you are already live.. Well.. Might as well go for it.

And I understand this. Games that have a cash shop are day and night when it comes to revenues. For instance, a Fifa pro player spends about 7k euros to make a team just for that year... The revenue vs expense of having a online shop is just insane.

But my problem with it, is that companies are not placing that extra money on better, new and you know.. Fun content. For us gammers to play. Its all more of the same. And everyone is doing the same.

Focus on brand, expand that brand, capitalize on it. On the brand. Not in the game. Notice how they explained this so well in this video, the importance of having a Brand.

But let's see, maybe things will change. After all, all i want is to play good games :)

Screenshot_20210330-223930_Office.jpg
This section suggests they're intending to continue with updates and small dlc for CP2077 this year and then move on to expansion. With the aim of providing players with a memorable expedience ( yes I know they already achieved memorable :ROFLMAO: ) ... how is that abandoning the game?

You really didn't saw what they did in there.

The standalone product was canceled, but not the online.

Who in their right mind wold buy a Mp version of CP2077?.. Heck who in their right mind wold even buy CP2077 SP we have right now..

Patch the game, focus on basic fixes that are needed for the MP, save resources on a product that simply wold not sell, launch MP for free, be the good guys now because, well, it's free. Last step, milk.

They didn't change anything when it comes to what's next. The MP will come and that is a basic phylosophy for all their products as of future projects.

Which is worrisome.. Very worrisome.. Because we all know where this road will lead, hence why we all thought back in December that CP2077 wold be the holy grail that wold save us from mediocrity that is every AAA live focused services...

Oh boy, little did we knew...

You know that game outriders that is due to come out this month?... Man.. It was the most boring game I've played in the last years... It felt like I have played that same gamr 5 times before.
I hope it doesn't go down that road. There is one thing that kept bothering me as I listened to the video and I kept telling myself "this is an investor call/presentation", the talk must be business oriented but still, I found strange that Mike Pondsmith wasn't referred when they kept talking about the future of the IP, specialy in other mediums. The spider of the IP will grow in other directions but as far as I know the cyberpunk IP is originally Mike's, so I was surprised to not hear about a partnership in this.

You really didn't saw what they did in there.

The standalone product was canceled, but not the online.
You clearly did not understand me. I never said anything about the online component of CDPR games. I said that CP Online (the standalone game that was announced) is canceled.

I hope it doesn't go down that road. There is one thing that kept bothering me as I listened to the video and I kept telling myself "this is an investor call/presentation", the talk must be business oriented but still, I found strange that Mike Pondsmith wasn't referred when they kept talking about the future of the IP, specialy in other mediums. The spider of the IP will grow in other directions but as far as I know the cyberpunk IP is originally Mike's, so I was surprised to not hear about a partnership in this.

Well, it wold be very unprofessional from CDPR to show someone that is not part of the company to talk about.. the Future Plans of the Company hehe :)

And nha, they wold never in their lives cancel this Brand and Night City. They are not EA that can simply shut down a brand (countless times).

It took them years (7 years) to capitalize on CP Brand. And they now have 2.Two very lucrative bands (as the record for fastest selling game on PC demonstrates it.) And CP was a new IP... Yeah.. That was very huge what CP did.

CP will stick arround for many years, fear not.

What I fear is that we won't be able to play this game as intended until the end of 2022 lol oh well.

Bye-bye, Cyberpunk 2077 online.
good riddance...
I had hoped that CDPR was smarter than Bethesda when I switched DEV loyalty ( aka to fanboy obsess on ;) ) .
Looks like a I may have done the right thing.

On the other hand "we are focusing on bringing online into all of our franchises one day." CAN also mean ONLINE requirement and DEV servers for even single player game and that can make legal modding difficult if not impossible.

Remind me again, how long did it take for Fallout 76 to get legal, DEV supported mods?

Last edited:
View attachment 11203552This section suggests they're intending to continue with updates and small dlc for CP2077 this year and then move on to expansion.

Yeah, pretty much what they already showed us in the previous roadmap: patches, free DLCs and next-gen update this year; paid, full fledged expansions next year. Their plans haven't changed one bit. They just canceled the standalone MP, and they have apparently learned a lot from the marketing campaign for CP and will be much more careful with their announcements and showcases in the future.

If they only fix this game so it can get released back on consoles and then abandon the this game no one will buy their games ever again.
That's exaggeration. No one who enjoyed Witcher 3, would not buy Witcher 4 because Cyberpunk 2077 was abandoned. People would even buy the next CDPR's Cyberpunk title. Worst case scenario, minority with their own principles actually ignore CDPR games and lower preorder numbers. If they provide entertaining and high quality game, people will buy it no matter what. Other gaming companies treat their players way worse and they still manage to get high sales every single year. That's just how it is.

I've been interested by the lack of involvement from Mike Pondsmith since launch. On the other media thing I understood that Talsorian and Cyberpunk are still separate from CP2077 and that CDPR effectively have a concession for the 2077 brand, as in it isn't proper cannon.
Maybe he's not willing to come out in favour until its fixed? It's a bit different from Sapkowski who I understand was grateful for the exposure for his books but didn't get gaming, Mike is a gamer and has a strong reputation I guess well see more of him once cdpr have saved face?

Last edited:
What I found interesting were 2 little details:

1. CTO role to become more prominent and the technology layer playing an important part in the transformation. I hope this means CTO having more influence on final design decisions being taken, balancing Adam Badowski in this regard.

2. Switching to agile development in 2021. I mean, agile has been around for some time and I can see how sticking to waterfall type of development made them react slower to changes and eventually kind of "entrenched" in some areas of the game's design. Add to that short development cycle, a bit of communication chaos between teams, overreaching ideas and eventually COVID - a perfect storm for disaster.

EDIT: again this is just my personal opinion/speculation, I have no inside knowledge about the development process of the game.

Last edited:
I've been interested by the lack of involvement from Mike Pondsmith since launch. On the other media thing I understood that Talsorian and Cyberpunk are still separate from CP2077 and that CDPR effectively have a concession for the 2077 brand, as in it isn't proper cannon.
Maybe he's not willing to come out in favour until its fixed? It's a bit different from Sapkowski who I understand was grateful for the exposure for his books but didn't get gaming, Mike is a gamer and has a strong reputation I guess well see more of him once cdpr have saved face?
From what I've seen, Mike is active on reddit on the lowsodiumcyberpunk sub.

What I found interesting were 2 little details:

1. CTO role to become more prominent and the technology layer playing an important part in the transformation. I hope this means CTO having more influence on final design decisions being taken, balancing Adam Badowski in this regard.

2. Switching to agile development in 2021. I mean, agile has been around for some time and I can see how sticking to waterfall type of development made them react slower to changes and eventually kind of "entrenched" in some areas of the game's design. Add to that short development cycle, a bit of communication chaos between teams, overreaching ideas and eventually COVID - a perfect storm for disaster.
If the CTO has oversight and approval of marketing claims and launch timelines..... sounds like a different outcome for their next launch

If the CTO has oversight and approval of marketing claims and launch timelines..... sounds like a different outcome for their next launch
Marketing? Probably not. But if he becomes a more prominent voice in the whole decision making process and has more say when it comes to validity of game features and mechanics vs engine capabilities, without being overruled by designers/directors - it could really make a difference.

Hey,
That's bold, hope they can manage.
However, I don't like them reaching wider for stuff like TV, merchandise, mobiles, mini-games like Gwent, online,...
Isn't one AAA game with expansions per like 5 years already enough?

Just do it right and the players will come on their own...? :D

Top Bottom