CDPR is not building up confidence in the public by making the gameplay footage exclusive to journalists.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
When journalists are the only ones who have access to this information journalism ceases to be journalism and instead becomes this filter for truth, as well as a system of control for the spreading of information.

[Sard Edit] Really inflammatory and over the top. "Totalitarian", what? No. Gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at it as saving them a small fortune. How many bloggers and YouTube channels have done hours on the 50min play thru they got invited to see. saving CDPR doing a load of advertising and product placements them self's.

Well as a member of the public (and my friends that I've spoken to) people are hyped AF for Cyberpunk :)

I think it's a bit early to be rioting in the streets ;)

They are doing it to build up hype, making it a semi-secret makes it almost mythical which might be talked about more than showing it to everyone.

I don't know where you live but my country claims not to be totalitarian, does not have rioting (although maybe there should be) and hold meetings that are secret at times. Political parties don't spread half-finished manifestos before they are certain they are perfect for example, but they probably let a test-panel read it to see how people might react.

Watch kotaku schreier interview with Iwinski about it, he gives the reason why not in public. Imho they shouldn't show it before they will have confidence that it will be in final release build

Any kind of gameplay would be dissected and analyzed frame by frame, and any tiny bug and glitches would destroy the confidence of the public. Because the masses don't understand what an alpha or a beta are.

Any kind of gameplay would be dissected and analyzed frame by frame, and any tiny bug and glitches would destroy the confidence of the public. Because the masses don't understand what an alpha or a beta are.
This. This is the reason they don't show it to the public, and it's a damn good reason at that. You may think you wouldn't do this; maybe you wouldn't. But millions of others would.

I don"t think it"s that much about the glitches or bugs, rather the content not being final. People would go apeshit and demand things that were changed or cut through the development process.

When journalists are the only ones who have access to this information journalism ceases to be journalism and instead becomes this filter for truth, as well as a system of control for the spreading of information. If video games were on an echelon of actual importance in a state that insists it is not totalitarian, there would be rioting in the streets. Just wanted to let you guys know what the mindset is of a lot of people who watched E3.

I'd rather they do this kind of thing than show us rainbows and unicorns and sell us paint and ponies, like the whole debacle with TW3. I really want to see what I'll eventually play on my PC, not what I could have played, had it been achievable for modern gaming platforms (a fancy way of saying downgrades).

I'd rather they do this kind of thing than show us rainbows and unicorns and sell us paint and ponies, like the whole debacle with TW3. I really want to see what I'll eventually play on my PC, not what I could have played, had it been achievable for modern gaming platforms (a fancy way of saying downgrades).
Yes, this is another reason I think they aren't showing anything till Gamescom. If the game is releasing Q2/Q1 2019 as some of us expect (not sure what the majority thinks ATM, but I know most of us were leaning towards Q2 2019 earlier this year and last year), a Gamescom showing of the graphics would probably be much closer to actually being representative of the final product.

Obviously, they won't show their game in a bad light (No company ever does), and will probably touch up the lighting and such, but I think the model/texture/animations are all going to be pretty damn close to what we get in the end as of GC.

I have a couple of games till CP2077out, I have 35 years old, a gamer and this kind of conserns its not more on my day to day. Just let CDPR makes their game and when its ready just play it and enjoy it or hate it. But til then....just relax.

I have a couple of games till CP2077out, I have 35 years old, a gamer and this kind of conserns its not more on my day to day. Just let CDPR makes their game and when its ready just play it and enjoy it or hate it. But til then....just relax.

Well, maybe not too much time. Like 2 more years would be fine. Anything more and people will start to question the development cycle, the game's ability to deliver, and possibly classify it as vaporware. Look at Star Citizen for instance. The most unashamedly scamming endeavor you can witness in 2018.

Just wanted to let you guys know what the mindset is of a lot of people who watched E3.

Do you have some polls or other data to back up this assertion?

Regards "Journalists becoming a filter," if you had watched and read the many, many reviews you would have seen there are some good and some bad and some that are in the middle. If everyone was raving the same thing, using the same words and hyping the same features, perhaps we should dig deeper and be more skeptical. But when the reviews are all over the map, I think we can trust there is no conspiracy here.

I don't trust journalists, but I do trust CDPR, and, we will see anctual ingame gameplay eventually, it's invevitable.
I'm not worried, truth can't be hidden forever.

It's building up hype, though...

I believe game developers shouldn't show games to wide audience until they finalized the look of the game. Games evolve during production and people get attached to certain "stages" of development. If the game is downgraded later for whatever reason, they feel that it was false advertising and begin to spread poison online.

Tuco

Forum veteran
After Mass Effect Andromeda, everyone should realize that showcasing high interest game in a rough state is a really bad idea.
Well, I don't think the problem with Andromeda was being showcased too soon, frankly.

I -was- editing the top post but no, no, it's just too over-the-top. C'mon. Thread locked - someone else is free and ENCOURAGED to start a more reasonable look at why Press-Only demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom