Collecting swords

+
Collecting swords

Just a quick question: Do you also collect silver swords? I have a tendency to sell the steel swords as soon as I come upon a better weapon but I keep all the silver swords (except the one I sold by accident) stashed away at Dandelion's house. Even though some of them are not as powerful as the one I'm currently using and even though my Geralt always is in need of money (too much shopping...), I cannot bring myself to sell those swords. How about you? And are there any special silver swords I should keep an eye out for?

I just sell all. I only keep Griffin and Cat gears safe, cause I use both and I need those old ones for upgrading.

This time I also saved Viper sword, cause I need that at some point to get one trophy. After I get that trophy, I'm going to sell it.

I haven't even got those yet because I'm a bit lazy when it comes to searching for gear :) So far, I've found one piece of the griffin gear by accident - in that desolate tower with the harpy's nest in Velen. The game tells me to go look at the old lighthouse and search a tomb as well as find the remaining pieces - I'll do that later. Now that Geralt is at lvl 20, I'll send him off to Skellige :)

Phew :) For a moment I thought it was just me *g* I do sell the steel swods, however - as soon as I get one that's even better than the last one. But I have stashed away all the silver swords. So far, Geralt owns about 10 or 12 silver swords, I think, and two steel swords. I'll sell the current one as soon as Geralt is permitted to use the sword in the trunk - it's a lvl 25 or 26 sword, I think, so he'll have to fight with the one he has now a little longer.

Oh, a question on runes/glyphs: When the game loads in between Locations, there appears a note telling me that I get back every rune and glyph once I destroy the item they are attached to. However, when I visit a smith and click the button that allows you to take things apart, the game warns me that the runes and glyphs will be lost. So far, I haven't tried to take swords or other gear apart because I don't want to lose the runes/glyphs even though I still have more than enough of those and keep picking up more - just another thing my Geralt seems to collect. Swords, runes, glyphs, and books :)

Oh, a question on runes/glyphs: When the game loads in between Locations, there appears a note telling me that I get back every rune and glyph once I destroy the item they are attached to. However, when I visit a smith and click the button that allows you to take things apart, the game warns me that the runes and glyphs will be lost.

I think that is about dismantling swords to parts where you can get the runes back. If you just remove the runes, then runes are destroyed. I have removed the runes and yes, those are destroyed then. But I haven't tried dismantling, although then you loose the sword.

Thanks for clearing that up :) I haven't tried to dismantle a sword yet because I wasn't sure if the runes were being destroyed or not. Also, a sword with runes gains me more money when I sell it :)

I always look for a better weapon, be it steel or silver. I have primary silver and steel sword equipped and one silver and steel as a backup in my backpack. Just in case. The two latter one are usually not as powerful as primary ones. Usually I sell every other brown/gold sword apart of these two pairs. If they have some runes I usually dismantle them. However, I always keep swords I received as a gift from someone - just like a souvenir stashed in my treasure chest.

I have a second set of swords with me all the time just in case as well - the other silver swords are still safely stashed away. When I did the quest with Morgvark, I received a silver sword that I already had; went straight to the next blacksmith and sold it for a lot of money :) Can't wait until Geralt is lvl 25 because then he will be able to use even more powerful swords I already had manufactured. And I think he also gets to use a better crossbow.

I have them all stashed away in my Green chest. NG+ meant that I picked up more powerful replacements & picked up the ones I missed the first time round like the sword from Morkvarg, the one from the armory & the sword you pickup if you let Ciri go to the Emperor. I left the chest's until after I had competed all the quests so when I went round again all the swords where at pretty high levels. I also finally picked up the diagram for Black Unicorn that was missing thanks to the HoS update.

Wait - are you saying that the swords get actually better when you start NG+? The levels of swords continue to confuse me. For instance, I received Hattori's sword and thought, oh wow, awesome. Then I realised that the sword I had equipped at that time was a copy of the same model Hattori had just given me, only that it dealt a lot more damage. So I stashed away Hattori's gift and kept the other one. Also, I had two silver swords - Deithwen, I think - that were exactly the same except for the damage they dealt. Very confusing :)

Yes, swords & armor found at random in Chests/spoils of war scale to your current level or near enough around it. So if you open a chest when you are at Level 30 you get a level 30 version of the sword, open that same chest at level 50 then it's a level 50 sword. The only downside is that the higher its level the less it's special abilities are. Only the ones picked up via Quests like Hattori's sword or winters blade seem to be level locked around the level the quest is at. I left all the chests until after I had competed the NG+ game so they all where near enough level 70 versions when I went round later.

Thanks for clearing that up :) I was really confused that Geralt was almost dumbstruck when Crach handed him the winter blade because the specs were much, much lower than the sword he had equipped at this point. Still he was totally in awe - same with Hattori's sword, he was all like "OMG wow, thanks, this is a wonderful sword etcetc". Turned out to be for a lower level than Geralt was at that point and that the sword he carried (same model, only found somewhere) was a lot better than Hattori's sword. Still - I can't bring myself to sell either the winter blade or Hattori's sword because they were gifts :)

Top Bottom