Control Issues

+
So to start things off I have nearly 49 hours in the game, I hadn't played in around 6 months or so and decided to start playing again yesterday. When I start up the game and get to the main menu everything seems fine, I can go through the options with either my mouse, keyboard or my controller but once I load a save or even start a new game, none of my controls work, even pressing escape won't open the menu. I have tried repairing the game through GOG Galaxy which did download some files but that didn't help the issue. I also removed all the mods I had and even uninstalled the drivers for the controller I was using as I though there might have been some conflict because of that, none of these fixed the problem. I would rather not have to re-install the whole game if possible. If anybody else has had this issue and knows some way to fix it then that would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are:

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit edition
Processor: AMD FX6300
GPU: AMD R9 380
RAM: Kingston Hyperx Beast 16GB

This is always a system-specific issue. Can you answer:

1.) What sort of keyboard, mouse, and gamepad / flightstick / etc. are presently plugged into your system?

2.) Do you have any manufacturer's driver's installed for your input devices (Razer, Logitech, Saitek, etc.)? If so, uninstall them and just run your gamepad, mouse, and keyboard using UPnP.

3.) What else has changed on your system over the last 6 months: Windows update...installed new drivers for something...new anti-virus...new hardware...installed any new programs...etc.?

Some other things to try in the meantime:

4.) If you use Comodo -- try uninstalling it. It's been known to cause problems with gamepads and certain keyboards in TW3.

5.) Ensure neither the game nor Galaxy is installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can cause all sorts of fun issues with games. If so, move the installation(s) to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation, e.g. C:\The Witcher 3\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\...

6.) Ensure witcher3.exe is set to "Run as administrator". If on Windows 10, set the Permissions of the ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder to "Everyone".

7.) Ensure the game directory, Documents folder, and Galaxy directory are all added to the exceptions list for any anti-virus / firewall you may be using.

8.) Ensure nothing "extra" is plugged into your PC. For example, I've run into numerous issues in the past where having a gamepad and joystick plugged in simultaneously can cause input weirdness or non-responsiveness. Ensuring only the peripherals I'm actually using for that game are plugged in would rectify the issue. (This includes peripherals like phones, cameras, tablets, etc.)

9.) Disable overlay features on Galaxy, and ensure that other "marketplaces" (like Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.) are closed and shut down while running the game. (No Task Bar icons -- check the expanded System Tray!)

10.) Once all of that is done, delete everything in ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that), and run a verify / repair through Galaxy. This will rebuild your config files (all of your in-game settings will need to be configured again).

Sorry for the length, but controller issues have been rare, unique, and quite frustrating over the life of the game. These are all things that have worked in the past. Hopefully, one of them will sort you out. Let us know how it goes!

Top Bottom