Could this be the strongest NR deck (and possibly in entire game)?

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Couple of days ago I faced this Meve deck, me playing my lovely Francesca with my own Rag-Aglais deck. When the match started I never knew the nightmare that was waiting for me. The opponent played engines and after engines and I was completely overwhelmed. With Ragnarok ticking every round and Swordmaster pinging every round Dol Blathana Archers and Bowman and Milean were all helpless. I had to give up and lose R1 when I had four cards in my hand and lost on even cards. R2, the opponent passes and in R3, I start with 9 cards in my hand and opponent has 10 cards. The nightmare continued. Engines after Engine. The opponent played Revenant, Octvist, S:Blaze for his 6th, 7th, 8th card and I ran out of control/lock options and was preparing for my 30 point Aglais with Ithline and Garrison and I finished my round with a 30 point Aglais with some 25 points ahead and passed. I didn't forfeit since I thought that deck deserved a proper win. I thought the player came up with this amazing deck. I guessed he had Hubert to perform the final fatality.

With 2 cards in his hands and Octvis, Blaze, Revenant ready, I was just waiting to get my head severed. Then the funniest thing in my Gwent life happened. Fortunately, the deck didn't come up with a manual. The opponent was carried away by the prospect of winning against a 30 point Aglais finisher. He deployed the Sabrina for his 9th card and activated all his abilities, Octvist, Blaze, Revenant. I was like :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. He was some 5 points down. Before Ending Turn, there was a 10 seconds panic from him before he forfeited.

That deck kept ringing nightmares in my ears. Yesterday I opened Gwentup to see the latest most saved decks (I check every now and then to prepare myself for the decks I may face. Not to netdeck) and found the exact deck.

The Deck.

Whoever came up with the deck is simply brilliant and genius. I was only playing at Rank 11-12, but I think this deck has potential to be played at Pro Rank. It has 9 bronze cards and 16 gold cards and almost everything is a engine. 16 freaking gold cards! What do you guys think? What would be the weakness of this deck? How should we counter it? I may regret this post, popularising this deck through this forum, but that is the most interesting and the strongest deck I had faced and I had to share it.

Green Cricket came up with it:

Unfortunately I do not have all of the cards required for it yet...

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Green Cricket came up with it:

Unfortunately I do not have all of the cards required for it yet...
Whoever originally created this deck is a Gwent genius. 16 freaking gold cards. I don't think even heavy control ST or lock NG can handle all these engines. If opponent plays perfectly without making any mistakes, this would be a formidable deck to play against. I don't know if my ST decks can even win this deck with the most ideal hands in all rounds.

I've faced this deck several times at rank5-7. To be honest, it was just a combination of Hubert Adda and Foltest deck.
To counter this deck, all you need to do is just make R3 short enough, since there would be not so many units giving value to those two dragons and Hubert. And...it's not easy for your opponent to have them in hands before the match ends.

I've faced this deck several times at rank5-7. To be honest, it was just a combination of Hubert Adda and Foltest deck.

Yes, is nothing else. I like it, but do not see anything extra new here besides of extra provisioning Meve is having and boost every second turn..

That deck kept ringing nightmares in my ears

And what is exactly wrong with this deck? If NR is having an identity, it is about engines. Not allowing the opponent to shut them all is only way to win. Is always funny to see this kind of posts popping up if there is single viable NR deck.And no, do not think you need to be genius to create such deck. It is logical to use the strongest cards available.

30 point Aglais with Ithline and Garrison

I personally dislike your Aglais combo, prefer collecting the points turn after turn instead of single mega-play. Can understand the different preferences, so if you love it is OK for me, just do not understand why is exactly this engine deck that irritating. Any deck can have Yrden included and shut down your master play if having the last say..

I was not very pleased by Meve when she was introduced, but did change my mind already.. On the other hand, check meta report from Aretuza, never saw any NR deck in the top tier category. And I am by no means sure that this one is going to land them either..

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
And what is exactly wrong with this deck? If NR is having an identity, it is about engines. Not allowing the opponent to shut them all is only way to win. Is always funny to see this kind of posts popping up if there is single viable NR deck.And no, do not think you need to be genius to create such deck. It is logical to use the strongest cards available.
You completely utterly misunderstood me. I was not complaining. I was not asking for nerfs. I was fascinated by the deck and wanted to share it. The thing which I found interesting and genius is about how this deck uses both NR and Neutral to include only engines with Order (like Yen, Dragons who can synergize with Arbalist and the other guy who boosts himself) going to such an extent as to include Vandergrift just to have order and being engine.

I personally dislike your Aglais combo, prefer collecting the points turn after turn instead of single mega-play. Can understand the different preferences, so if you love it is OK for me, just do not understand why is exactly this engine deck that irritating. Any deck can have Yrden included and shut down your master play if having the last say..
I know I don't have to explain why I play certain decks, but I played Franchesca because I had 70+ wins with her and wanted RP desparately and the only viable Francesca is an Aglais loving Francesca, at least for a noob like me. Again, I was not irritated. I was fascinated (as I had told in my OP) and considered as this was one of the strongest decks I had played against. The deck has Eyck who could have won single handedly if he was drawn. I wasn't complaining about (logically) losing at all. I would lose to this deck 1000 times and be less irritated than losing to a Speartip-Speartip-Golyat;Ghoul-Ghoul-Alghoul.

I was not very pleased by Meve when she was introduced, but did change my mind already.. On the other hand, check meta report from Aretuza, never saw any NR deck in the top tier category. And I am by no means sure that this one is going to land them either..
I don't know the meta in pro rank, but I actually believe that this deck can be a tier 1 deck. If it can own a control deck, it can easily win other engine based decks.

The opponent I played against is not a good player, but if I had faced a good player, there is no way I could have won. The only sarcastic part of my OP was how my opponent got carried away and lost unnecessarily. I didn't forfeit, I wanted to give the deck a good deserved win (as I mentioned in my OP).

BTW, NR is my second favourite Faction and I was happy to see a very strong deck. [That doesn't mean, I approve of Botchling and Ves either]

Last edited:
You completely utterly misunderstood me.

From the written form is sometimes hard to conclude everything :D Just from the experience, everything NR related is immediately attracting crying for nerf, so is sort of paranoia already maybe.. But I understood your post much more negatively before your reply as I see it now.

I would lose to this deck 1000 times and be less irritated than losing to a Speartip-Speartip-Golyat;Ghoul-Ghoul-Alghoul.

Yeah, me too. Did not meet this ghoul deck with Meve yet, but not really sure about the outcome. Btw., also the variant with Meve soldiers is rather interesting (think is just second in the list sorted by views), running much less engines but generating decent tempo. Played something similar twice, after I put Pavetta in second round my monster oponent immediately gave up :D

NR is my second favourite Faction and I was happy to see a very strong deck

I am pleased as well. That was also the reason why I was interested in this thread..

DRK3

Forum veteran
Honestly, the deck isnt nothing new, but it is indeed strong. Using Ocvist, Iris and S. Blaze for a powerful "Hugebert" is something Ada decks already did.

The Yen Conjurer i admit is something i only started seeing recently, and can be devastating (my opponent gave it immune and i didnt have big units or boosts, so in the end the conjurer was hitting my every unit)

The deck is so good and has so many golds because it relies on the best "auto-include" NR golds, which are actually quite cheap on provisions, like Botchling, Ves, and Anna Strenger and Vysogotta that are just deadly if uncountered.

Its because of this deck and others (like that zeal Revenant deck), that i dont think NR is at the bottom at all, it just has decks that are really bad if facing removal decks.

rrc

Forum veteran
Honestly, the deck isnt nothing new, but it is indeed strong. Using Ocvist, Iris and S. Blaze for a powerful "Hugebert" is something Ada decks already did.

The Yen Conjurer i admit is something i only started seeing recently, and can be devastating (my opponent gave it immune and i didnt have big units or boosts, so in the end the conjurer was hitting my every unit)

The deck is so good and has so many golds because it relies on the best "auto-include" NR golds, which are actually quite cheap on provisions, like Botchling, Ves, and Anna Strenger and Vysogotta that are just deadly if uncountered.

Its because of this deck and others (like that zeal Revenant deck), that i dont think NR is at the bottom at all, it just has decks that are really bad if facing removal decks.
Yes. I had seen Adda for a very long time. Sasenthesis, Octvist, Revenant + Sabrina is nothing new. But it was completely new for me to see ONLY engine cards being played. The opponent started with Arbalist, played another. I had to remove them. Then Botchling, Adda, Tridam.. It was just too much and I had to give up R1 on even cards. I thought he was all out and R3 will be a breeze. But then, in R3 also, engines and after engines. First time I faced so many engines. I was awestruck. I actually had the best deal/hand. Rag in first round, Garrison, Ithline, Aglais in R3. I played 45 points in last three turns and it was still not enough.

The only game in which I lost and I wanted to share it in the forum on a positive note!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yes. I had seen Adda for a very long time. Sasenthesis, Octvist, Revenant + Sabrina is nothing new. But it was completely new for me to see ONLY engine cards being played. The opponent started with Arbalist, played another. I had to remove them. Then Botchling, Adda, Tridam.. It was just too much and I had to give up R1 on even cards. I thought he was all out and R3 will be a breeze. But then, in R3 also, engines and after engines. First time I faced so many engines. I was awestruck. I actually had the best deal/hand. Rag in first round, Garrison, Ithline, Aglais in R3. I played 45 points in last three turns and it was still not enough.

The only game in which I lost and I wanted to share it in the forum on a positive note!

Weird: from your description, it sounds like your opponent did the right moves and baited your removal/control with lesser engines, and left the big ones for last, so he knew what he was doing, but then made the mistake of doing the damage on a turn before the Hubbert... maybe it was a distracted mistake, happens even to the most experienced.

Just last week, opponent did a dry pass on R2 with 8 cards, and i was pretty happy with my hand of 9 cards for R3, so i drypassed too... except i had lost R1...

rrc

Forum veteran
Just last week, opponent did a dry pass on R2 with 8 cards, and i was pretty happy with my hand of 9 cards for R3, so i drypassed too... except i had lost R1...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - I am sure you laughed more than you got pissed :p

he knew what he was doing, but then made the mistake of doing the damage on a turn before the Hubbert... maybe it was a distracted mistake, happens even to the most experienced
Yes, I agree. The joke about 'manual not being there' was just for fun. When I have played 45 points in last three rounds and still he was going to own me may have pumped him adrenaline and made him commit the mistake. Me being a gentleman won me the game :p:cool:;). I knew I was going to lose when he deployed Sabrina, but wanted to give him the win and it was so damn funny when he triggered all the abilities and then waited for sometime before forfeiting :LOL:

Yup, Meve is pretty good. It's quite fun to play too.

It's more because it's a 17p leader. High prov leaders have an innate advantage in that they can carry so many quality cards they can sacrifice thinning. It's effectively a positive feedback loop. You have so many provisions you can carry so many quality cards. Because you can carry so many quality cards odds are high you will draw something good. So you don't need to spend the absurd "tax" necessary to carry thin tools. This creates more room for quality cards.

In terms of the deck.... The weakness is it has no short round. The concept is to run so many engines your opponent cannot possibly remove them all. Particularly because proper Meve charge usage can push many into a range where only a decent value removal can take them down. The problem with so many value over time cards or cards needing a turn to get the value is there is no real short round ability. Incidentally, people will bleed you R2 if you fail to secure R1.

If you can take R1 or get red coin (cause coin flip is fixed... hah) with that deck it's very strong. This ensures a long R3 on a R2 dry-pass. And.... that deck has an insane long round if it gets a setup going. On the other hand... if you get blue coin (because coin flip is fixed... he he he) or lose R1 it can lose a lot of it's punch. Fun fact, smart people push R1 and bleed the living jesus out of that deck. It's still good. It's just not without it's weaknesses.

Plus.... if it becomes too common I'd bet people will start teching movement. Avallac'h, Nenekke and Vysogota are range locked now. One or two move cards can completely shut down those cards and, by extension, a lot of the Tridam/boost package. MS wouldn't need to because of... drum roll.... Drowners. Other factions may benefit from it if the build becomes too common.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@rrc Actually, there quite a lot of players who clearly are netdecking but have little experience, usually with Big Woodland.

Recently i made a weird Arachas deck, still had 8 provisions left, so i decided WTH, i'll throw Xavier Lemmens in there, just to counter Big Woodland, and cause some trouble to SK.

And i was facing one Woodland player, who was playing by the book, so R1 i didnt really notice any lack of experience. Then R2 i throw Xavier and banish all his big monsters. He didnt even bother to read the card, only noticed something weird R3 when he started playing Ghouls/ Ozzrell and had none of his big boys, ended up getting a 4pt Ozzrel when he could have eaten a bigger unit from my GY.

It was clearly a player who started playing after the Xavier nerf, since that card was Big Woody's worst nightmare and suddenly it dissapeared from all decks post-nerf.
Post automatically merged:

Look what i faced just now...

Thanks for the good stuff.jpg

Yeah, he played his tempo stuff R1, then R3 he was going for the typical Avallach, Vysgotta, Anna Strenger, Botchling stuff...

Stole his avallach as soon as he put it, but made the mistake of putting my skellen as well, which he destroyed with that artefact... but that was good, because my Letho KS would have a better target... and sure enough the vysogotta came, i copied it, locked anna, destroyed vyso, then he started putting his dragons, as soon as i muzzled the ocvist he forfeited.

So no, definitely not the strongest deck in the game eheheeh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom