CP 2.0 thinks I have a controller connected

+
The new version always thinks I have a controller connected and hence continually displays controller key tooltips.
I really want to play with mouse & keyboard however.

During the loading screens I still get the press "_" to continue prompt, but once I entere the main menu the moment
I move the mouse or press a key everything changes to controller mode. The mouse cursor also changes to the
controller cursor.

Actually connecting and disconnecting a controller doesn't help, it just nags you to reconnect the controller the moment
you disconnect it.

Anyone has or had this problem too and knows how to fix it?

I have the same problem. Do you play on linux? I think devs hardcoded control scheme to the OS and now game thinks that any Linux user is playing on a Steamdeck...

Same here. This is the dumbest thing ever. (Ubuntu LTS)

Edit: Addendum - it worked perfectly fine before 2.0. Someone has been [...] unnecessarily inventive.

Same problem. Disable Steam Input in controller settings and it makes a difference on the intro screens but as soon as I get to the menu and move the mouse it switches to controller input hints. Trying to play with KB/M I get stuck where no key seems to work as an analog for the controller input hints. Never had the problem prior to 2.0 patch on my 2 previous throughs.

Ok, so a temporary solution: if you have a controller attached to your PC, remove it. Once I uninstalled the controller via the Bluetooth menu, the problem went away. They need to fix it, but this should solve your problem in the interim.

Last edited:
Ok, so a temporary solution: if you have a controller attached to your PC, remove it. Once I uninstalled the controller via the Bluetooth menu, the problem went away. They need to fix it, but this should solve your problem in the interim.
nope

I don't mean disconnect it from the PC. I mean remove it, at the driver level. Erase it from your system. It worked for me, 100%.

And then restart the game.

I only ever used USB connected controllers. As far as I know there is no driver installed for these or rather, there is just a generic driver that always exists.

Go into the Bluetooth menu and "remove device." Make sure it's not showing up under any section. It looks like the game is detecting the controller connection, regardless of whether it's active or disconnected.

Go into the Bluetooth menu and "remove device." Make sure it's not showing up under any section. It looks like the game is detecting the controller connection, regardless of whether it's active or disconnected.
In linux we don't need to have a specific driver for gamepads. System automatically creates "/dev/js[0-4]" or "dev/input/js[0-4]" if sees any gamepad, and automatically deleting it if not see.
Anyway, it bad solution. Cyberpunk 2077 not the only one game on PC. Dark Souls 3, Tekken 7 and many others required gamepad. Actions on hardware level for specific game - not ok.

Sorry for my "bad" solution. It was only a temporary suggestion while CDPR sorts it out. And I can only speak for Windows. If you game on Linux, well... surely you're used to this stuff by now lol

From what I am seeing on the Steam forums, if a Windows player is experiencing the problem they basically just need to restart the game. They might also disable the Steam Input or add "-ignoreGamepads" to the launch options, but both of those require a restart of the game anyway. So it's probably just the restart that is solving it.

On Linux however, none of the above solves the problem. If I had to guess, I would suspect that the game is programmed to use some non-standard way of detecting a controller and the Proton translation layer probably ticks whatever non-standard box they are looking at to detect a controller.

If the devs know what the cause is and can fix it, that would be great. On the other hand, a simpler solution might just be putting a setting in the options menu to force a control type. I'm sure they would rather just detect that on the fly, but a setting to force a control type would be a more permanent solution especially for Steam as there could be a legitimate reason someone would want to use a controller and force Keyboard and Mouse control scheme. (For example a disabled person might want to make use of a hybrid control scheme where they use the keyboard for buttons, and use a controller for mouse look and movement by using Steam Input on a controller to emulate KB+M. A person who for example has only a single arm with a nub. They might control the left and right sticks with their feet (using Steam Input to emulate a mouse movement and WASD keys) and use their nub to press buttons on the keyboard.) Auto detection is slick and all, but I suspect that just forcing it with a setting menu option is easier to program than figuring out whatever is causing the problem on Proton. And it would have the byproduct of potentially making it easier for some disabled gamers to play.

From what I am seeing on the Steam forums, if a Windows player is experiencing the problem they basically just need to restart the game. They might also disable the Steam Input or add "-ignoreGamepads" to the launch options, but both of those require a restart of the game anyway. So it's probably just the restart that is solving it.

On Linux however, none of the above solves the problem. If I had to guess, I would suspect that the game is programmed to use some non-standard way of detecting a controller and the Proton translation layer probably ticks whatever non-standard box they are looking at to detect a controller.

If the devs know what the cause is and can fix it, that would be great. On the other hand, a simpler solution might just be putting a setting in the options menu to force a control type. I'm sure they would rather just detect that on the fly, but a setting to force a control type would be a more permanent solution especially for Steam as there could be a legitimate reason someone would want to use a controller and force Keyboard and Mouse control scheme. (For example a disabled person might want to make use of a hybrid control scheme where they use the keyboard for buttons, and use a controller for mouse look and movement by using Steam Input on a controller to emulate KB+M. A person who for example has only a single arm with a nub. They might control the left and right sticks with their feet (using Steam Input to emulate a mouse movement and WASD keys) and use their nub to press buttons on the keyboard.) Auto detection is slick and all, but I suspect that just forcing it with a setting menu option is easier to program than figuring out whatever is causing the problem on Proton. And it would have the byproduct of potentially making it easier for some disabled gamers to play.

Thing is, the option existed to select what your control input is. And I think it still does exist. But for whatever reason for quite a few players the non-existent/not-connected Xbox controller default overrides it.

I've had a look at the Input/UIInput XMLs in /r6/config if there was something there, but those seem to be properly put in place (there's some questions why some stuff got named the way it is, but they seem to be well defined elsewhere for all control options).

Only other thing outside the .exe itself which might be a question is platformgameplay.ini in /engine/config/platform/PC, which only has the following entries for me:

[UiInput]
PadRotationPitchModif = 0.35
PadRotationYawModif = 0.35
PadRotationEnterTime = 0.05
PadRotationExitTime = 0.5

Rest of the files is clearly for the game data (everything graphical, audio and more) or seemingly not related at least to controls.

Yeah, I've tried to search something like "gamepad=false" in whole of places, but nothing. Maybe it really inside .EXE file...
But... I don't think that touching this files is good idea :(

Top Bottom