Crashing During Prologue

+
Crashing During Prologue

I wanted to register with the forums just for this:

I purchased Witcher 1 and 2 in anticipation of 3 and have just now gotten around to playing either. I gave up on Witcher 1, as it crashed during the training level consistently. So I thought well no big I'll just start on Witcher 2. My game crashed consistently after any one of the three options you have after speaking to the guy in La Valette castle. I scoured the internet for a fix and tried all of them. None worked. I have Windows 10 and a decent computer so it's certainly not a graphics issue.

I finally fixed it on my own and wanted to share in case anyone else was having similar issues. Launch the witcher2.exe in admininstrator mode while not being logged into Steam. Worked like a charm. I can finally play the game. Just for giggles I'm going to see if 1 works now.

windows 10 isn't it? Win10 and steam kinda have problem with withcer 2. You always can activated your keys on GoG and play GoG version that seems doesn't have any issues

I wanted to register with the forums just for this:

I purchased Witcher 1 and 2 in anticipation of 3 and have just now gotten around to playing either. I gave up on Witcher 1, as it crashed during the training level consistently. So I thought well no big I'll just start on Witcher 2. My game crashed consistently after any one of the three options you have after speaking to the guy in La Valette castle. I scoured the internet for a fix and tried all of them. None worked. I have Windows 10 and a decent computer so it's certainly not a graphics issue.

I finally fixed it on my own and wanted to share in case anyone else was having similar issues. Launch the witcher2.exe in administrator mode while not being logged into Steam. Worked like a charm. I can finally play the game. Just for giggles I'm going to see if 1 works now.

This did not work for me.

[I completely closed my steam app, dug into steam folder, right-click launched, witcher2.exe as ADMIN- forcefully. Then, I later set compat-mode for to 'always launch-as admin', no difference.]

The game still freezes on intro-movie at near exactly the same point every-time; just before the ball-headed muscle guys begin to duel as the drum-beat kicks-in.

Steam version of Witcher 2 EE
Win10 home 64bit
GPU: Nvidia 780ti SLI
CPU: 8350 FX 4.3 OC
Nvidia control-panel - default sli enabled, everything else default global.

This just sucks that I can't reply this game AT ALL since I've had a clean Win10 installation completed months back.

No advice ANYWHERE... I'm not exactly sold on GoG version being a solution either.

1. After completely closing steam, I decided to directly download RedKit patch [3.4] and latest Witcher 2 patch [3.3] from CDprojekt's site.
Installed both separately, and everything seemed fine.

2. Same symptoms, freeze on Intro-movie at the near exact same point.

Can SOMEONE from CD projekt red comment on this maybe? I know the devs HAVE to be replaying their classic on several different OS's...

The researched 'silence' on this matter is just infuriating to say the least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom