Creative Control Balance

+
More and more, I am getting the impression that Gwent developers are seizing too much creative control from the players. I hope my perceptions are wrong, but I wanted to share them in the hope that either I am proven wrong or can encourage change.

In a collectable card game like Gwent, it is perfectly reasonable (actually essential) that developers control the rules and the card design; it is equally reasonable that the players have creative freedom to choose the deck composition and how the cards are played. With the 9.1 patch and developer comments surrounding it, I increasingly feel that the design is being manipulated to limit player “creativity” to planned archetypes and choreographed plays. If that is truly the designer’s intent, I need to quit — the game will never be what I want. If I am overreacting or faulty in my perception, I appreciate being corrected.

I submit the following as evidence for my concern that developers are overextending creative control into areas better reserved for players.

1. In the developer’s video describing the 9.1 patch, the nerf to Blightmaker was justified by comments to the effect that Blightmaker/ Mage Assassin was becoming autoinclude when it was intended just to support hyperthin, so the provision nerf would be offset in hyperthin decks by a provision buff to neutral cards in that archetype. My reaction is that, while archetypes are fine, not all cards need (or should) be restricted to a particular archetype. In particular, Blightmaker has nothing directly linking it to hyperthin— it should be an all purpose card. Mage assassin could arguably be a “hyperthining” card, but it was not the card nerfed. The nerf did not “fix” an overpowered combo (it’s still overpowered), it “fixed” a perceived archetype.

2. The change of Guardian from Gold to Bronze serves only one purpose — preventing players from cleverly and creatively using it not being bronze to limit choices for cards like Roderick or as a nonspawning target for Foltest. These uses are what I consider inventive and hardly overpowered. Thus, the only reason I see for the change is that the developers didn’t like the way the game was being played.

3. Cards are becoming increasingly simplified with fewer creative and strategic possibilities. I will take two examples, but there are many others. Drummond berserker, when deemed too powerful for a five provision card was dropped from 6 strength to five strength. This resulted in the card doing one less ping of damage before converting converting to a bear abomination at berserk 3. It also meant the conversion occurred one turn (rather than 2 turns) after the berserker was played. The new card required no planning or strategy to keep it alive. Equally obvious, but far more strategic, nerfs would have been to either increase the provision cost by one (leaving initial strength alone) or to reduce both the initial strength to five AND the Berserk level to 2. The other card that comes to mind was the change to Fleder. The old power gave the Fleder vitality four and required it to destroy an allied unit. It had flexibility (removing spies, cow carcasses, or a desperation death wish trigger). The new card, arguably stronger, gives the fleder vitality equal in duration to bleeding inflicted on an enemy. But no longer is there any issue as to when to play the card, or which victim to choose. Oh, and did I mention that now the card is now only playable with a vampire deck.

4. Current Meta Decks have very few significant variants. You might argue that they have been highly optimized — I argue that any given archetype has very few viable alternative choices. People complain about netdecking, but I bet that if you gave expert players a defining archetype, each would independently craft essentially the same deck two times out of three. I am coming to believe this is intentional design. The meta lacks variety because variety has been designed out of it.

3. Cards are becoming increasingly simplified with fewer creative and strategic possibilities.

I have been saying this for a long time. This game is becoming more and more point slam and I dislike it... for example Gerhart of Aelle plays 13 for 11 with zero setup... while old Falibor require setup to get full value... both are for 11 provision then why will I play Falibor when I get same or more point with Gerhart of Aelle... whether it is gezras, eist or whoreson junior all are point slam cards... it's like here I played this card now deal with it...

I think that whoever is responsible for these design decisions severely misunderstands the core appeal of Gwent - a distinct chess-like playstyle, emphasizing importance of calculations and macro play imposed by provisions, 3-round structure and yes, the resulting creative freedom. People who prefer more chaotic/straightforward playstyle are already elsewhere, playing HS or LoR, and are better off for this. Trying to "streamline" Gwent does both devs and players alike no favors, because it effectively turns it into a worse Hearthstone instead of playing to its strength.

More and more, I am getting the impression that Gwent developers are seizing too much creative control from the players. I hope my perceptions are wrong, but I wanted to share them in the hope that either I am proven wrong or can encourage change.

In a collectable card game like Gwent, it is perfectly reasonable (actually essential) that developers control the rules and the card design; it is equally reasonable that the players have creative freedom to choose the deck composition and how the cards are played. With the 9.1 patch and developer comments surrounding it, I increasingly feel that the design is being manipulated to limit player “creativity” to planned archetypes and choreographed plays. If that is truly the designer’s intent, I need to quit — the game will never be what I want. If I am overreacting or faulty in my perception, I appreciate being corrected.

I submit the following as evidence for my concern that developers are overextending creative control into areas better reserved for players.

1. In the developer’s video describing the 9.1 patch, the nerf to Blightmaker was justified by comments to the effect that Blightmaker/ Mage Assassin was becoming autoinclude when it was intended just to support hyperthin, so the provision nerf would be offset in hyperthin decks by a provision buff to neutral cards in that archetype. My reaction is that, while archetypes are fine, not all cards need (or should) be restricted to a particular archetype. In particular, Blightmaker has nothing directly linking it to hyperthin— it should be an all purpose card. Mage assassin could arguably be a “hyperthining” card, but it was not the card nerfed. The nerf did not “fix” an overpowered combo (it’s still overpowered), it “fixed” a perceived archetype.

2. The change of Guardian from Gold to Bronze serves only one purpose — preventing players from cleverly and creatively using it not being bronze to limit choices for cards like Roderick or as a nonspawning target for Foltest. These uses are what I consider inventive and hardly overpowered. Thus, the only reason I see for the change is that the developers didn’t like the way the game was being played.

3. Cards are becoming increasingly simplified with fewer creative and strategic possibilities. I will take two examples, but there are many others. Drummond berserker, when deemed too powerful for a five provision card was dropped from 6 strength to five strength. This resulted in the card doing one less ping of damage before converting converting to a bear abomination at berserk 3. It also meant the conversion occurred one turn (rather than 2 turns) after the berserker was played. The new card required no planning or strategy to keep it alive. Equally obvious, but far more strategic, nerfs would have been to either increase the provision cost by one (leaving initial strength alone) or to reduce both the initial strength to five AND the Berserk level to 2. The other card that comes to mind was the change to Fleder. The old power gave the Fleder vitality four and required it to destroy an allied unit. It had flexibility (removing spies, cow carcasses, or a desperation death wish trigger). The new card, arguably stronger, gives the fleder vitality equal in duration to bleeding inflicted on an enemy. But no longer is there any issue as to when to play the card, or which victim to choose. Oh, and did I mention that now the card is now only playable with a vampire deck.

4. Current Meta Decks have very few significant variants. You might argue that they have been highly optimized — I argue that any given archetype has very few viable alternative choices. People complain about netdecking, but I bet that if you gave expert players a defining archetype, each would independently craft essentially the same deck two times out of three. I am coming to believe this is intentional design. The meta lacks variety because variety has been designed out of it.
I agree with alot of what you said. The changes (particularly buffs and nerfs) they make seem to be entirely based on on play rate but some cards are only played because there are no alternatives or the other alternatives are just worse. It also seems like they're shoving particular archetypes down our throats. No faction should suck for more than 1 season because they require us to play 4 factions. Some people only play 1 or 2 factions and dont like others for whatever reasons. You can make under played archetypes good without making overplayed archetypes bad. The more variety the less boring the game is...i think. Make cards, leaders, and factions that suck not suck, introduce new cards and make money.
I have been saying this for a long time. This game is becoming more and more point slam and I dislike it... for example Gerhart of Aelle plays 13 for 11 with zero setup... while old Falibor require setup to get full value... both are for 11 provision then why will I play Falibor when I get same or more point with Gerhart of Aelle... whether it is gezras, eist or whoreson junior all are point slam cards... it's like here I played this card now deal with it...
Gezras isn't point slam and he does requires setup. But i see what you mean. Alot of cards are simply not worth their cost

Something that I've noticed starting with Master Mirror is that the design of gwent has become more similar to open beta i.e. there's stronger archetypal identity and increased consistency (Echo cards). I wouldn't be surprised if bronze tutors made a come back sooner or later

I especially agree with the Blightmaker, it could have been a multipurpose card, but it's reduced to having it's sole purpose being to tutor out a Mage Assassin (cause this is by far the strongest use for it and it's an OP combo). -_-

I would also like to add the murder of Cadevarine as a fully unique and interesting tactics based card and it's transformation into boring and OP Imposter that poisons instead of locking.

Decks that can lock/remove cards like 6 turns in a row are the biggest problem for me.. Why do you have to be so boring to play such decks!
While I do hate this kind of deck you implied, the opposite version of this also exist. Play engines 6 turns in a row and if not controlled at all, it goes literally totally wild. When I first encountered this, I was like, man, my engines can never be that strong so there's no way I can let my deck has no removals. Thus, the state of Gwent now. Too many extremes going on, even for card values.

I'm a NG player, and even so, loathe the stupidity of cards like Blightmaker and Artaud Terranova. In the contrary, I like cards like Thanedd Turncoat and Rience, however underpowered they are.

Some card designs are cool, but underpowered, like Cynthia which is pretty much useless. And others are blatant ridiculousness, like Blightmaker that even without Assassin, can make 7 points body for 6p, with Assassin it makes 11. It's like, what?

To top that off, the combo pairing needs 10p total, the same total cost as Impera Brigade or Hunting Pack, which both only gives 8 points on board, but hey those 2 has conditions to meet while blighted mage doesn't. Not to mention, it makes 9 points against empty board, the extra 2 damage can even enable removals on top of being pure value.

Yeah, b a l a n c e d .

Feels like everyone is like: I want to try Gwent, lets just take one of the super-duper-net-decks and annoy the shit out of anyone daring to play creative, homebrewn decks. Yeap, sounds like a plan. Fun fact: Many players only going with their ultra-decks start to struggle as soon as something doesn't go according to plan and insta-forfeit. Pfff. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom