Curious about using the silver spies in turn 2

+
So. The spies. Every deck runs them, basically, and at times they have great value. What I am not getting, however, is why it's a good card to play in round 2, after winning a round.

in round 2, if the opponent were to begin, he'd play a card, you'd play spy, he'd be forced another: amazing value. However, since you have to begin (I am guessing this is a new mechanic. Admittingly, I am new to gwent), you could dry pass and achieve the same thing you'd by playing a spy. Other than thinning your deck a little, I don't really see how playing a spy helps at that point.

Anyone who could clarify?

You can bleed the opponent in the 2nd round, which is crucial against some decks, like Axemen. Also, sometimes it's just best to dump your spy when you no longer need it, allowing for a free mulligan.

So. The spies. Every deck runs them, basically, and at times they have great value. What I am not getting, however, is why it's a good card to play in round 2, after winning a round.

in round 2, if the opponent were to begin, he'd play a card, you'd play spy, he'd be forced another: amazing value. However, since you have to begin (I am guessing this is a new mechanic. Admittingly, I am new to gwent), you could dry pass and achieve the same thing you'd by playing a spy. Other than thinning your deck a little, I don't really see how playing a spy helps at that point.

Anyone who could clarify?

Like 4RM3D said, bleeding is crucial against decks that like long rounds (Spies, Axemen, Voorhis, etc) Additionally, a spy in the second round gives the opponent 13 but allows you to hold onto the card you get for round 3. If you get a good enough card, a spy's pure value for round 3 can equal gold levels. But if you drop it in round 3, it's not a good card, it's like whatever it draws you minus 13.

Like 4RM3D said, bleeding is crucial against decks that like long rounds (Spies, Axemen, Voorhis, etc) Additionally, a spy in the second round gives the opponent 13 but allows you to hold onto the card you get for round 3. If you get a good enough card, a spy's pure value for round 3 can equal gold levels. But if you drop it in round 3, it's not a good card, it's like whatever it draws you minus 13.

Not entirely true. Spies could be important even in round 3 against some decks (the ones running Villie in particular). Moreover, some decks might rely on playing a spy in round 3 to win (specifically, Letho decks).

Finally, some decks still abuse coin flip and silver spies in round 1 to either force the opponent going 2 cards down or winning on even cards thanks to a big swing (Dun banner and/or Henselt, for instance).

Spy abuse on red coin is abomination, especially with poet or hym because I don't use spy. 🙃

I understand the importance of bleeding, but if you play spy, the opponent is forced to play one card. If you don't play a card, the opponent is forced to play one card as well. The difference being, that I now realise, is that when you dry pass it is a clear pass so 1 card will do. If you play spy the opponent has to play a card, unknowingly whether it will go on. Seems I have answered my own question :p Spy's are ineffective if you play poorly and just pass after spy anyways, no matter the situations. But if you figure out the opponents deck you've got the choice to bleed and that is the difference.

Not entirely true. Spies could be important even in round 3 against some decks (the ones running Villie in particular). Moreover, some decks might rely on playing a spy in round 3 to win (specifically, Letho decks).

Finally, some decks still abuse coin flip and silver spies in round 1 to either force the opponent going 2 cards down or winning on even cards thanks to a big swing (Dun banner and/or Henselt, for instance).

Well, yeah there's always exceptions. There is no move in Gwent that's panacea really. If it's always good, it's usually not always consistent

Top Bottom