Developer Answers to your CP 2077 Questions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another RPG that used that kind of system was Kingdom Come: Deliverance, where pretty much everything you did in the game was interactive, taking form of a minigame, including brewing potions, sharpening your weapons, etc. and the more you did of that particular thing, the better you become at it, which grants you some perks that you could unlock, making this process even easier (like for example, at the highest level of brewing skill you can get perk, which allows you to brew potions automatically, without all the busy work). I think video game RPG's should aim for something like that, with many improvements that is, since in KC a lot of it is still fairly clunky. Because of that I think my dreamed RPG would be a combination of Way of The Samurai series (in terms of interactive storytelling), but of course also much longer, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance (in terms of mechanics), but with bunch of gameplay improvements.

that kind of solution wouldn't stop anyone from savescumming, until they get a favorable "roll"

Savescumming really is no one elses problem, but the ones’ who do it.

There are ways to discourage it adequately, but somebody will always do it anyway. And if one knowingly does it and then complains about it, those complaints can be ignored.

Another RPG that used that kind of system was Kingdom Come: Deliverance, where pretty much everything you did in the game was interactive, taking form of a minigame, including brewing potions, sharpening your weapons, etc. and the more you did of that particular thing, the better you become at it, which grants you some perks that you could unlock, making this process even easier (like for example, at the highest level of brewing skill you can get perk, which allows you to brew potions automatically, without all the busy work).

Indeed, KC: D is an excellent example of synergy between player involvement and character ability. Not perfect, but i'm personally looking forward to innovations and advancements in that particular direction.

Anyway, you’re misinterpreting me. The point wasn’t about gates versus RNG, but how does the learn-through-exercise system fit in with those simple binary gate checks. If there is no challenge to overcome, how does the crux of the learning happen? Is the game or its main path so levelscaled and/or directed that you will always find matching challenges so that you can progress? How does the system not end up in the player desperately hunting down and grinding every possible lock/electrical box/what ever in order to gain the keypoints (not skillpoints, because no skill is ever measured or used) to open the future gates (because he can never ever try anything, he just can, or can not)?

Because there is no "learn through exercise" system (for the character) in a narratively driven game. There is the illusion of such. The game needs to keep pace with its story, or the dramatic action putters out and stuff starts to feel disjointed and sloppy.

A comparison. (I'm about to criticize The Witcher 3 -- brace yourselves! :D) :
If I wander off the "beaten path" with Geralt, meaning I go traipsing off at level 5 to explore some area of the gameworld I'm not "meant" to be in at that point, the game will continue trying to make it work. But it won't. I'll eventually encounter a quest or situation that I have effectively 0% chance of succeeding at. Since the game was based on, shall we say, a traditional RPG approach with levels and skills and ability unlocks, it has no way of ensuring that the narrative flow continues. I may wind up getting involved in a quest that I'm enjoying...right up until the moment I realize I'm massively under-leveled, cannot progress, and must choose to simply toss the dramatic action out the window and walk away / reload / pretend it never happened.

Wonk.

A gated system will almost invariably be able to avoid this. The game will be able to drop signs all over the place that the player character is not ready to tackle whatever lies beyond this point. I won't be able to pick the proverbial lock, persuade the proverbial guard, or kill proverbial foozle to get into the proverbial cave -- becuase I simply don't have the ability yet. I'll need to hightail it and come back later.

The game will therefore give me a hint that something juicy lies beyond that "gate", but it won't actually introduce the narrative and spoil the energy until I'm ready. This avoids a massive amount of frustration while still providing players a sense of their characters growing in proficiency. When I return later with my advanced understanding of lockpicking, greatly increased speechcraft skills, or new combat options that allow me to better exploit enemies' weaknesses...getting past what was once impossible will certainly grant a sense of character advancement. It also better balances and paces out the game while providing a much more satisfying exploration-reward approach.

Most importantly, it will do so without the need to interrupt the flow of the narrative in any way. I'll always feel as if there's a flow to the next part.

I can’t see the proposed fluid and naturalistic progression system working well at all with such a rigid and gamey checking system.

That's just it. When implemented properly, it is both fluid and invisible. Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age do this very well. If I have the appropriate knowledge / skill / Force power, then the game provides me an option to simply achieve my goal via that avenue. It's very smooth and satisfying.

Conversely, I can't remember how many times in Fallout 1+2 I sat in front of a door watching the progress bar cycle over and over again as my character "tried" to, say, pick a lock. Knowing I would eventually get it, but being annoyed at how long it was taking and how many lockpicks it was costing me. Not fluid at all. Even better, when I had a 137% in lockpicking...but the RNG simply failed 3 times in a row, and I ran out of lockpicks and needed to break up the momentum of the scene by reloading becuase I had no other options...that's just rather stupid. It sucks the energy out of the game. I'm a master lockpicker, for gods' sake. I specifically built a character that focuses on picking locks. Why would the game have me fail to pick a lock if I specifically built a character that picks locks? Especially if it's trying to create a tense, motivated escape sequence or something. I play my chosen character's skills to engage in a predetermined sequence...have carefully prepared to do so...use the path the game set out for me...but my success or failure is determined by a random check instead of my choice to utilize my character's salient skillset. It's largely senseless for a CRPG.

That type of system is only sensible in a game that has no set story. A true sandbox. Players determine their own motivations and rise or fall by their own devices. If I'm going to work a continuing, motivating narrative into the mix (KotOR, Dragon Age, TW3, Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.) then "random skill checks" add nothing but pointless frustration into the mix.

Because there is no "learn through exercise" system (for the character) in a narratively driven game. There is the illusion of such. The game needs to keep pace with its story, or the dramatic action putters out and stuff starts to feel disjointed and sloppy.

A comparison. (I'm about to criticize The Witcher 3 -- brace yourselves! :D) :
If I wander off the "beaten path" with Geralt, meaning I go traipsing off at level 5 to explore some area of the gameworld I'm not "meant" to be in at that point, the game will continue trying to make it work. But it won't. I'll eventually encounter a quest or situation that I have effectively 0% chance of succeeding at. Since the game was based on, shall we say, a traditional RPG approach with levels and skills and ability unlocks, it has no way of ensuring that the narrative flow continues. I may wind up getting involved in a quest that I'm enjoying...right up until the moment I realize I'm massively under-leveled, cannot progress, and must choose to simply toss the dramatic action out the window and walk away / reload / pretend it never happened.

Wonk.

A gated system will almost invariably be able to avoid this. The game will be able to drop signs all over the place that the player character is not ready to tackle whatever lies beyond this point. I won't be able to pick the proverbial lock, persuade the proverbial guard, or kill proverbial foozle to get into the proverbial cave -- becuase I simply don't have the ability yet. I'll need to hightail it and come back later.

The game will therefore give me a hint that something juicy lies beyond that "gate", but it won't actually introduce the narrative and spoil the energy until I'm ready. This avoids a massive amount of frustration while still providing players a sense of their characters growing in proficiency. When I return later with my advanced understanding of lockpicking, greatly increased speechcraft skills, or new combat options that allow me to better exploit enemies' weaknesses...getting past what was once impossible will certainly grant a sense of character advancement. It also better balances and paces out the game while providing a much more satisfying exploration-reward approach.

Most importantly, it will do so without the need to interrupt the flow of the narrative in any way. I'll always feel as if there's a flow to the next part.

That's just it. When implemented properly, it is both fluid and invisible. Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age do this very well. If I have the appropriate knowledge / skill / Force power, then the game provides me an option to simply achieve my goal via that avenue. It's very smooth and satisfying.

Conversely, I can't remember how many times in Fallout 1+2 I sat in front of a door watching the progress bar cycle over and over again as my character "tried" to, say, pick a lock. Knowing I would eventually get it, but being annoyed at how long it was taking and how many lockpicks it was costing me. Not fluid at all. Even better, when I had a 137% in lockpicking...but the RNG simply failed 3 times in a row, and I ran out of lockpicks and needed to break up the momentum of the scene by reloading becuase I had no other options...that's just rather stupid. It sucks the energy out of the game. I'm a master lockpicker, for gods' sake. I specifically built a character that focuses on picking locks. Why would the game have me fail to pick a lock if I specifically built a character that picks locks? Especially if it's trying to create a tense, motivated escape sequence or something. I play my chosen character's skills to engage in a predetermined sequence...have carefully prepared to do so...use the path the game set out for me...but my success or failure is determined by a random check instead of my choice to utilize my character's salient skillset. It's largely senseless for a CRPG.

That type of system is only sensible in a game that has no set story. A true sandbox. Players determine their own motivations and rise or fall by their own devices. If I'm going to work a continuing, motivating narrative into the mix (KotOR, Dragon Age, TW3, Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.) then "random skill checks" add nothing but pointless frustration into the mix.
If one day you'll end up working on a videogame (I think it was you in that conversation with snowflakes) keep in mind this accurate criticism to TW3 and RNG and I'll buy your game ;)

Because there is no "learn through exercise" system

Did they change that when I wasn't watching?

I still think we are not quite speaking about the same thing here. They implied, a year ago, that skills get better as you use them. Like, you keep shooting your gun and your skill points gradually increase; you don't invest points in them. On top of that, they implied that attributes gate skillprogression and as you level up those are the ones you put your point(s) in so that your skill can keep progressing (as you use it). And shown in the demo, the checks are fast one click endeavors that give the "yes" to the player (and if there's a no to be had, the player need not even click, just look at it and come to the conclusion that there's no point wasting time there).

I'm talking strictly about the mechanic of skillprogression - nothing narrative about it, none - and how that might work in practice when you can't hone (all of) your skills consistently through trial and error, and have to hunt down the locks and electrical boxes and what not, that match or are below your skill level, in order to progress in those skills. This is either handled through (excessive) levelscaling, which kind of defeats the point of the skills existing, or the mentioned skillcheck hunt and grind. It does not work well. It screams frustration and mandatorial busywork so that you can keep up with the game while you are not in the levelscaled areas that track you down. You can't try the checks, you can't fail the checks, you can't learn from the checks (because, if done right, you could learn from failure too). All you can do, is keep your eyes peeled for possible checks and grind them when you can even if you didn't need to at that time, just to keep your character at a pace skillwise. That's what I'm talking about.

If - on the other hand - the game is completely guided, so that your chosen archetype or jack-of-all-trades character always has his opportunities tracked and adjusted so that there is no halt at any point, that you can always pass one way or another... that's another story, but if that was (is) the case, then what's the point of having the skills in the first place? They're just tokens and illusions (I mean, you will always choose one of the open opportunities anyway, not all of them), and the game would probably be better off without them altogether (like Witcher 3 probably would have been).

And the rationale of using that kind of system is what I'd like to hear about from the devs, because it is immediately flawed and rigid by just giving it a minute of thinking.
-------------------
To my recollection, in DA (at least the first one) and KOTOR you invested your skillpoints manually and they did not progress automatically. Contrary to skills in Cyberpunk 2077, as implied by the developer (unless it indeed has changed at some point unbeknownst to me).

And also, in Fallout 1 and 2 you never ran out of lockpicks. There were lockpicking kits that gave a bonus to your skill as you used the item (doctors bags, first aid kits and pliers worked similiarly respectively to their underlying skills). And the check system there worked so that if you had 137% lockpicking skill, the game then checked the difficulty of the lock and subtracted that amount from your skill. So if the lock had a difficulty of 100, your chances of success with the afore mentioned skill level would only be 37%; if, however, the locks difficulty was 10 (leaving a subtraction of 127%), your chances would be at a maximum of 95% (can't remember if that worked towards the other way too, so that even if your chances went to negative numbers, you'd still have at least 5% chance to succeed).

Last edited:
i am re-posting my reply from another thread here as there is a chance that i might get a more accurate response here

i want to join with my own question: is the collectors edition contnet is universal or the xbox one will have extra goodies like ib the witcher 3 collectors one?

and will other countries be added to the list of countries, or those are the only ones worthy of getting the collectors edition?

go keanu silverhand...

On both physical editions for PC it says "code inside" instead of discs.

Is that code for Steam or GOG?

I am ok with Steam but I would prefer the option to choose.

Hello everyone,

sadly I cannot yet create own threads, so I hope to get an answer here:

Regarding the physical retail editions of Cyberpunk 2077, both regular and Collector's Edition, for PC, will those contain game download codes for GOG or for STEAM?

Thanks.

Edit:
Interesting forum software, it just showed me Riven-Twain's post after I sent mine.
However, I am hoping for a bit more clarity than "almost certainly", if at all possible.

I am also expecting it to be GOG, for obvious reasons, but a final answer would be swell, as this is the most prevalent question I got from everyone whom I told about preorders now being available.

Surely the decision must have already been made with preorders now being live?

What about NVIDIA ANSEL support? There is an Ansel SDK. It will enable to capture in-game 360° screenshots.

It's already supported by game The Witcher 3. It's super awesome to capture screenshots in 360 degree also viewable on VR headset.

We need this feature in Cyberpunk 2077 as well. Such a beautiful game :)

Did they change that when I wasn't watching?

I still think we are not quite speaking about the same thing here. They implied, a year ago, that skills get better as you use them. Like, you keep shooting your gun and your skill points gradually increase; you don't invest points in them. On top of that, they implied that attributes gate skillprogression and as you level up those are the ones you put your point(s) in so that your skill can keep progressing (as you use it). And shown in the demo, the checks are fast one click endeavors that give the "yes" to the player (and if there's a no to be had, the player need not even click, just look at it and come to the conclusion that there's no point wasting time there).

I'm talking strictly about the mechanic of skillprogression - nothing narrative about it, none - and how that might work in practice when you can't hone (all of) your skills consistently through trial and error, and have to hunt down the locks and electrical boxes and what not, that match or are below your skill level, in order to progress in those skills. This is either handled through (excessive) levelscaling, which kind of defeats the point of the skills existing, or the mentioned skillcheck hunt and grind. It does not work well. It screams frustration and mandatorial busywork so that you can keep up with the game while you are not in the levelscaled areas that track you down. You can't try the checks, you can't fail the checks, you can't learn from the checks (because, if done right, you could learn from failure too). All you can do, is keep your eyes peeled for possible checks and grind them when you can even if you didn't need to at that time, just to keep your character at a pace skillwise. That's what I'm talking about.

If - on the other hand - the game is completely guided, so that your chosen archetype or jack-of-all-trades character always has his opportunities tracked and adjusted so that there is no halt at any point, that you can always pass one way or another... that's another story, but if that was (is) the case, then what's the point of having the skills in the first place? They're just tokens and illusions (I mean, you will always choose one of the open opportunities anyway, not all of them), and the game would probably be better off without them altogether (like Witcher 3 probably would have been).

And the rationale of using that kind of system is what I'd like to hear about from the devs, because it is immediately flawed and rigid by just giving it a minute of thinking.
-------------------
To my recollection, in DA (at least the first one) and KOTOR you invested your skillpoints manually and they did not progress automatically. Contrary to skills in Cyberpunk 2077, as implied by the developer (unless it indeed has changed at some point unbeknownst to me).

And also, in Fallout 1 and 2 you never ran out of lockpicks. There were lockpicking kits that gave a bonus to your skill as you used the item (doctors bags, first aid kits and pliers worked similiarly respectively to their underlying skills). And the check system there worked so that if you had 137% lockpicking skill, the game then checked the difficulty of the lock and subtracted that amount from your skill. So if the lock had a difficulty of 100, your chances of success with the afore mentioned skill level would only be 37%; if, however, the locks difficulty was 10 (leaving a subtraction of 127%), your chances would be at a maximum of 95% (can't remember if that worked towards the other way too, so that even if your chances went to negative numbers, you'd still have at least 5% chance to succeed).

I don't think we're talking about different things, just hitting it from different angles. When I said there is no "learn through exercise" system, I didn't mean that you can't put a system like that into a CRPG -- I mean it doesn't actually exist if the CRPG also focuses on delivering a driving narrative.

Take TW3 again. Do you have the ability to gain experience, and level up skills, and better your gear? Of course...but that doesn't happen organically. It happens according to very specific gates that only award a certain amount of experience at any point. The same is true of Mass Effect, or Baldur's Gate, or Dragon Age, or Skyrim... Your character is not actually learning through experience. It's just a simulation of such, strictly governed by the episodic nature of the gameplay's narrative (acts, chapters, parts, etc.) And/or, the gameworld will mold itself to your character's proficiency to ensure that the challenge remains more or less consistent throughout (Bethesda-style).

A game like Mount and Blade or Kenshi is an honest, "learn through exercise" system that is not regulated in any way. It's a completely open system that allows the player to focus on progressing their character exactly as they see fit. The price? There is no story. No narrative. No overall driving motivation. There can't be. There's no way to balance or pace it. If I wanted to introduce a narrative element...I'd need (for example) to take Mount and Blade and ensure that I gated off player advancement along the path of the narrative to ensure that the game mechanics were balanced against the pacing of the story. I'd wind up with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Not Mount and Blade. Right there, I'm making life very difficult on the developers and the players by trying to work this "simulation" of organic learning into what is otherwise a very staged affair.

A better, much more fluent bet is to create a system that doesn't try to be putty...but rather blocks.

Rather than giving players a lump of mush and introducing the very real possibility that they'll mold it into something that doesn't actually function, I instead allow the player to select a certain number of blocks at certain stages of the story. Each one of those blocks fits through a certain gateway in the story. If I don't have the right block, I'll need to find another gate. I'll have to use the blocks I did pick. If I use the right block, it will fit through the gateway. The player will always be able to progress based upon the blocks they have chosen. The narrative will not only reflect the player's choices, and provide them with specifically designed challenges for that particular skillset, it will ensure the flow of the narrative is not interrupted due to an "organic" system that doesn't actually function sensibly.

Right back to the execution of lockpicking in Fallout 1+2. Yup, that was very much a slow, steady, progressive system where player characters deliberately focused on improving skills a few percentage points at a time. It allowed for a wide range of builds and playstyles. The games were still fun. But it could be wildly frustrating when my progress was blocked, the energy of the narrative interrupted, and my annoyance levels increased because: RNG. It's not that I made a poor choice and had to deal with the consequences. It's not that I tried to do something I was not skilled at. It's not that I did not manage my build carefully and effectively. It's not that I was not equipped with the right gear for the job...

It's that I built a very effective character, accrued the right tools to augment my abilities, played extremely well according my unique strengths and weaknesses, made the right choice at the right time...but a dice roll came up snake-eyes.

Can I move on from that point? Will the narrative adapt to that scenario? Will the gameplay continue (like it will in a PnP RPG)? No. I will be shut down on-the-spot with no other options, my character will be killed, and I'll be forced to reload and retry, going through the same story elements again and again and again until I am lucky enough to progress.

How does that make sense for a narrative experience?

Computer systems are not "organic". They are logical in the absolute: literally a series of 1's and 0's. A game design cannot change that...but they can use that. Since no computer is capable of coming up with an organic solution to an organic problem, it makes far more sense for games not to introduce organic problems.

Provide the player 1,000 variables that are all guaranteed pathways to success.

Let them choose 100 to determine their unique path.

Challenge the player based not upon chance -- but choice.

It's not "guaranteed success"; it's simply that failure is 100% based upon cause-and-effect of the player's actions instead of a random number generated by the system clock. The C(omputer)RPG can only offer a limited number of pathways forward. It's pointless to deny the player progress if they've made a good choice based upon their character build. That's not challenging, it's trifling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom