Curse You GOG!

+
I don't recall being able to open the inventory during combat in over 2,000 hrs playing DA:O.
That might be the problem. Mod?

Do you recommend any other must have mods for DA:O?

Must haves:

Camp chest or Misha the Hoarder

Skip the Fade - mod skips over a very long, involved puzzle/dream-like gameplay section. A lot of people hate it.

Advanced toolbar

Faster combat

Theta HD

More hair styles

Not required but useful:

Lock bash

Advanced tactics

Expanded inventory

If you're interested in that sort of thing, the ability to script the combat can add a lot of enjoyment to subsequent playthroughs - my ambition was hands-off combat for the entire game, where everyone just fought according to the defined tactics. (I've never QUITE managed a full hands-off playthrough). That needs the Advanced Tactics mod (to give more scripting options and fix bugs), any mod that opens up the full tactics slots earlier, and a mod whose name I've forgotten that allows the selected character to fight according to script instead of manually controlled.

Most of my mods were from waaay back, I can't remember now what they are (and dread ever having to reinstall). I'd also recommend a "No Helmet" mod, which just makes the helmets invisible, as they're pretty ugly.

I also used a "Beautiful Female Dwarf" mod as the dwarf origins are both pretty good but I didn't like the fem-dwarf designs.

And any mod that allows a non-rogue to open locks is useful.

Must haves:

Camp chest or Misha the Hoarder

Skip the Fade - mod skips over a very long, involved puzzle/dream-like gameplay section. A lot of people hate it.

Advanced toolbar

Faster combat

Theta HD

More hair styles

Not required but useful:

Lock bash

Advanced tactics

Expanded inventory

Never tried any DA:O mods but I would recommend against skipping the Fade, in my opinion it's one of the most interesting parts of the game (conceptually) and one that separates the game apart from other fantasy universes. The general location is directly related to the origin of the darkspawn and so I think it is very relevant. Power gamers may not be interested but I thought it was very well done and I think both Glaroug and Gilrond will like it. Same goes for "faster combat". I think combat is sufficiently fast but to each his own. Inventory wise I didn't really find many problems. Hoarding is a huge part of action "RPG's" and I personally find cRPG's impose additional gameplay challenges when they have limited inventories/storage containers. Think of TW1 and how wonderfully witcheresque it was to not be able to carry tons of swords and armor around.

As far as the "tactical" scripting goes, it's helpful to have your characters chug a healing potion or use a special ability automatically but (at least the non-modded) scripts are way too basic for proper tactics covering all aspects of all possible battles, especially in higher difficulties. Basically they are a lookup table or linear plan whereas any remotely complicated game strategy requires at least a tree. The game is not especially hard but I personally find it more satisfying to execute a beautiful, successful and efficient strategy than watching my characters waste resources (such as time or possible moves).

OK, I installed Advanced Quickbar, Advanced Tactics, Theta HD and No Helmet Hack. All seem to be working except for Advanced Quickbar, which doesn't change anything for the quickbar. I guess it's not compatible with GOG's version of DA:O?

Last edited:
OK, I installed Advanced Quickbar, Advanced Tactics, Theta HD and No Helmet Hack. All seem to be working except for Advanced Quickbar, which doesn't change anything for the quickbar. I guess it's not compatible with GOG's version of DA:O?

Go to Downloadable content>installed content from the start screen and make sure it's there and checked. Then start game and open the skills panel. The icons should show up there and you have to drag them down to the hotbar. I definitely would get the camp storage chest too, Bioware themselves released that.

Last edited:
I red that storage chest is given as part of the Soldier's Peak quest, so I suppose that's already included in GOG release, I just need to finish that quest first.

About quickbar - it's enabled in that list (check mark), but I don't see it showing down / up arrows for multiple quickbars like their screenshot suggests. Unless they appear only when quickbar is full?

I red that storage chest is given as part of the Soldier's Peak quest, so I suppose that's already included in GOG release, I just need to finish that quest first.

About quickbar - it's enabled in that list (check mark), but I don't see it showing down / up arrows for multiple quickbars like their screenshot suggests. Unless they appear only when quickbar is full?

Did you open the skills panel ( hammer icon) and drag them into your quickbar? If that doesn't work, don't sweat it. I guess I wouldn't say the mod is mandatory, just a convenience for late game when you have a lot of skills. I started another playthrough on Friday and I've been at it all weekend. Might have to dig up the old DA thread.

Did you open the skills panel ( hammer icon) and drag them into your quickbar? If that doesn't work, don't sweat it. I guess I wouldn't say the mod is mandatory, just a convenience for late game when you have a lot of skills. I started another playthrough on Friday and I've been at it all weekend. Might have to dig up the old DA thread.

Ah, I found it. I didn't realize those controls were themselves skill icons (I thought you meant they appear when you drag any skill icon to the quickbar). So it works fine.

---------- Updated at 01:54 PM ----------

Let's switch to classic RPGs thread.

Three of Disney's most treasured 16-bit platformers return, exclusively on GOG.com

Embrace your adventurous inner child with The Lion King, Aladdin, and The Jungle Book!

Good stories never fall out of style. And if someone knows how to tell a proper fairytale, that's got to be Disney. Today, three of their most celebrated, charming platformers of yore based on such tales are coming back, exclusively on GOG.com. Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book are all household names that still captivate our imagination, decades after we got introduced to their cinematic and videogame worlds.

That's why GOG.com and Disney heave teamed up to bring these beloved classics of the 16-bit era to a new generation of gamers and Disney fans. All three titles have been meticulously updated to be compatible with modern operating systems while preserving the original graphics, sound, and gameplay.

Developed during the golden age of platformers, Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book established themselves as hallmarks of the genre, earning the praise of fans and critics alike for over two decades. That was due in no small part to their groundbreaking visuals. With the advent of Digicel technology, hand-drawn cels from Disney's animation team brought the characters to life with a level of vibrancy that was unparalleled at the time, and remains impressive today. Just look at how adorable little Simba looks when he roars at his enemies!

Return to these beautiful worlds, full of that unmistakable Disney charm and wondrous sense of adventure. Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com and you can get them for 10% off individually, or for 33% off as a bundle of heartwarming joy until August 8, 12:59 PM UTC!

gog.com/news/disneys_16bit_platformers_return

Release: This is the Police

Who watches the watchman?

This is the Police, a gritty strategy/adventure game about bending and upholding the law as head of the city's finest, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for achievements and a 10% launch discount.

Jack Boyd isn't looking for much. Just a fat retirement check, some quality time at his favourite gentlemen's club, and perhaps a bit of goddamn order in this goddamn city. All around him, Freeburg is going straight to hell and as the Chief of Police he will not stand for it.

Deal with the criminals in any way you see fit, manage your police officers in an efficient manner, fight the forces of corruption and organized crime, and crack the toughest cases by collecting evidence or bribing the right people. Each decision you make has its own price and when all's said and done, you will walk away from this cesspit with $500.000 worth of savings. Or as a man broken beyond recognition. It all depends on how well you'll play your cards during your remaining 180 days on the force.

Play both sides of the good cop-bad cop routine and knock on some troublemakers' doors shouting This is the Police, DRM-free on GOG.com.The 10% discount will last until August 9, 3:59 PM UTC.

gog.com/news/release_this_is_the_police

Always thought referring to games as n-bit was somewhere in between funny and awkward. Of course it's a semi obscure reference to the hardware and CPU word size but in practice I pretty much think of the SNES/Genesis era games, which makes no sense for GOG. Might as well call them IBM-PC classics.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go listen to some 16-bit audio CD's.

Release: Singularity

One man alone cannot fight the future.

Singularity™
, an intense time-bending FPS where past, present, and future are locked in a violent fluctuation, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com.

How was U.S. marine Nathaniel Renko supposed to know that saving a Russian scientist from a fire in 1955 would have such catastrophic results in the present? Now a tyrant has taken over the world, leaving Renko and his techno-magical glove to sort out this mess and salvage the best possible version of the future.

Armed with the appropriately named Time Manipulation Device (TMD) and plenty of conventional firepower, Renko must face an army of elite soldiers and horribly warped abominations that shouldn't exist in any era. The TMD can rapidly age his enemies, send energy surges through them, or even manipulate inanimate objects to his advantage, as he jumps between 1950s Russia and its modern day counterpart, looking for the means to save the world from the singularity.

Manipulate time and your enemies' life force as you desperately try to cancel the Singularity™, DRM-free on GOG.com.

gog.com/news/release_singularity

Coming Soon: EVERSPACE

A new breed of space game.

EVERSPACE, an intense roguelike space shooter is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Everything in EVERSPACE is meant to be spectacular. It presents a vision of space a far cry from the desolate expanses we're so used to – instead, offering up beauty that's hard to match, tons of surprises, and easy-to-pick-up action gameplay worthy of the coolness we expect from space combat.

With feedback from 10,000 testers in the closed beta, the project has already seen it's share of improvements – including a significant content update for it's launch in development. Still, ROCKFISH Games already have a plan for new content (including new ships, layers, and fully voice-acted non-linear story) and updates all the way up until the release. For a closer look at the development process, check out the recently-gone-public Alpha and Beta forums on the developer's website.

Discover a procedurally generated, roguelike galaxy unlike any other in EVERSPACE, coming soon to GOG.com!

gog.com/news/coming_soon_everspace

Release: War Wind & War Wind II: Human Onslaught

Blowing with the wind of nostalgia.

War Wind & War Wind II: Human Onslaught, two classic fantasy RTSs bursting with gruesome battles and stealth shenanigans, are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com.

In a world not unlike ours, where the most enlightened and powerful nation rules the other three with an iron fist, anarchy is about to break out. The first War Wind carries with it the battlecries of the four diverse races, fighting for resources, building their strongholds, and leading their armies of upgradable units through 28 different scenarios.

By the time the War Wind II: Human Onslaught starts blowing through the land of Yavaun, the power struggle between the four races has evolved significantly. The arrival of Humans upsets the balance even further, resulting in a cataclysmic war that will be decided by the fragile alliances and proper use of stealth skills that your units possess.

Promote and manage your army, and fight for supremacy in an alien world scorched by War Wind and War Wind II: Human Onslaught, DRM-free on GOG.com.
gog.com/news/release_war_wind_war_wind_ii

Release: Okhlos

Witness how anarchy was born.

Okhlos, the chaotic action/strategy about a mob of angry ancient Greeks stampeding over their malevolent gods, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Ancient Greece is the cradle of democracy, modern civilization, philosophy, and a handful of other highbrow concepts. And yet the citizens are furious! Sure, the economic crisis is still several millennia away, but the oppression they suffer from the Olympian gods cannot continue unchecked. That's why the people now rally behind venerable public figures who lead them to stomp on mythological beasts, lay waste to holy temples, and bring down any arrogant Olympians standing on their way. But all unruly protesters are not created equal: you can recruit warriors, peasants, slaves, or even legendary heroes like Leonidas and Socrates to increase your mob's stampeding potential. By Zeus, god-slaying does not get more democratic than this!

Prepare to introduce some sandal-wearing anarchy into ancient Greece with your custom-made Okhlos, DRM-free on GOG.com. Want to piss off the gods even further? Add hubris to injury with the Olympus Edition, which includes a digital artbook and history guide, some early game prototypes, and the full game soundtrack.The 10% discount will last until August 25, 1:59 PM UTC.

gog.com/news/release_okhlos

Coming Soon: Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Catching up with the past.

Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire, a stylish turn-based RPG where a young princess must fight to save her people from a bloodthirsty empire, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Her world is still recovering from the downfall of a grand spacefaring civilization that came before. Princess Tahira can feel the echoes of the events that ushered this new dark age, but she must focus on the present and stand against the rising Astral Empire which threatens to wipe out her people. Roaming a world full of intriguing characters, lost magic and the smoldering remains of ancient glory, Tahira's modest forces must use guerilla tactics if they hope to challenge the Empire and emerge victorious from this fateful night. Every single battle is heavy with narrative context and will be decided by Tahira's clever use of the environment and also the people that she's travelling with.

Wishlist Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire today and join her on a journey where exploring the past can give new hope for the future, coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

gog.com/news/coming_soon_tahira_echoes_of_the_astral_empire

Last edited:
Release: Master of Orion

Riding the intergalactic highway.

Master of Orion, the glorious return of the legendary 4X strategy, is available now for Windows and Mac, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for achievements and multiplayer.

Most strategy-inclined kids have at some point in their lives dreamt of becoming the true Master of Orion. To conquer a whole galaxy through sly negotiations, intense technological research, or even all-out war. Now the dream is coming back to life, as you will once again pilot your customizable ship(s) and explore up to 100 star systems, populated by the ten alien races that franchise veterans fell in love with.

A star-studded cast of acclaimed voice-actors breathe life into these characters and make interactions as fun as the addictive turn-based gameplay that players have come to expect from a true Master of Orion successor. During its In Development lifecycle the game has received massive updates, while the gameplay mechanics were getting constantly tweaked and re-calibrated to perfection, thanks in no small part to the community' feedback.

Engage in interstellar warfare and limitless exploration in the vivid new Master of Orion, DRM-free on GOG.com. If you want to claim everything the galaxy has to offer, go for the Collector's Edition now or opt to upgrade later. This edition includes the three vintage Master of Orion games, a wonderful Digital Art Book, the game's orchestral soundtrack, an additional race, and more. It's also 15% off until September 4, 4:59 PM UTC!

GOG Connect

Do you happen to own any of the classic Master of Orion games on Steam? For one week, you are eligible to redeem them on GOG.com for free through GOG Connect!

gog.com/news/release_master_of_orion

Release: Pan-Pan

Puzzle-solving tranquility.

Pan-Pan, a delightful exercise in free-roaming environmental storytelling, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 10% launch discount.

In most adventures, solving puzzles is a deliberate process, required to push the story forward. In Pan-Pan, you visit the puzzles in their natural environment and solving them forms the narrative as you venture out to fix your ship and head home.

Interacting with the wonderfully quirky characters and exploring the open-world will provide the tools and items necessary to overcome all the obstacles scattered about. Tackle them at your own pace and gradually unlock the rest of the wonderful locations, bathed in the relaxing music created by composer Simon Viklund. This is a place of wistful tranquility and freestyle adventuring where anything can happen!

Navigate the puzzles awaiting you in the endearing world of Pan-Pan, DRM-free on GOG.com. Those who dream big can upgrade to the Planetary Pack for the soundtrack and the Explorer's Guide to Pan-Pan. The upgrade will become available tomorrow, August 26.

The 10% discount will last until August 26, 2:59 PM UTC.

gog.com/news/release_panpan

Release: Obduction

Taken to a better place.

Obduction®, the much anticipated first-person puzzle/exploration adventure from the makers of the legendary Myst series, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com.

A fateful encounter with an organic artifact that fell from the sky transports you to a distant world that feels both completely alien and strangely familiar. As if a slice of Earth lodged itself inside a surreal landscape full of giant pieces of machinery, unknown technology, and strange creatures. While trying to make sense of this mysterious place and your purpose in it, you'll gradually uncover adjacent worlds, harboring their own mysteries and echoes of previous inhabitants.

As a true spiritual successor to Myst, Obduction® relies on similar storytelling and world-building techniques, so expect FMV actors inside breathtaking environments. The borders of reality, fantasy, and dream often become blurred, but you'll need your powers of perception at full swing in order to overcome the devious puzzles and compelling mysteries of this incredible world - especially if you are experiencing it in overwhelming VR.

Explore and absorb the secrets of an alien landscape full of wonders in Obduction®, DRM-free on GOG.com.

gog.com/news/release_obduction

Release: Oniken: Unstoppable Edition

All the cool moves are belong to you.

Oniken: Unstoppable Edition, an 8-bit celebration of over-the-top action movies from the 80s and 90s, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 70% launch discount.

Global destruction! Mechanically-enforced oppression! Hardcore swag! All the best elements of the consistently gritty, disarmingly silly, and thoroughly entertaining action movies of yore are here. You are a death-dealing ninja mercenary, aiding the resistance in their hopeless battle against the tyrannical Oniken. Your reasons are your own. Your skills are your own. You are on your own. Yeah, that sounded way cooler unspoken.

Oniken
is a pixelated bonanza of side-scrolling destruction, challenging boss fights, and endearing callbacks to the action movies and cartoons that got our blood pumping back in the day. But unlike their protagonists, you should be prepared to die. A lot. Would be a shame if you let that stop you from reaching those sweet cinematic cutscenes, though.

Unleash your inner action hero and rain death upon the villainous Oniken, DRM-free on GOG.com. To mark its arrival, JoyMasher's Odallus: The Dark Call is also 70% off.The 70% discounts will last until August 31, 12:59 PM UTC.

[video=youtube;-c7MqyJl3Lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c7MqyJl3Lw[/video]
gog.com/news/release_oniken_unstoppable_edition

Release: Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Catching up with the past.

Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire, a stylish turn-based RPG where a young princess must fight to save her people from a bloodthirsty empire, is now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux DRM-free on GOG.com with GOG Galaxy support for achivements and a 10% launch discount.

Her world is still recovering from the downfall of a grand spacefaring civilization that came before. Princess Tahira can feel the echoes of the events that ushered this new dark age, but she must focus on the present and stand against the rising Astral Empire which threatens to wipe out her people. Roaming a world full of intriguing characters, lost magic and the smoldering remains of ancient glory, Tahira's modest forces must use guerilla tactics if they hope to challenge the Empire and emerge victorious from this fateful night. Every single battle is heavy with narrative context and will be decided by Tahira's clever use of the environment but also the abilities of the people she's travelling with.

Join Tahira on a journey where exploring the past can give new hope for the future, DRM-free on GOG.com.The 10% discount will last until September 6, 1:59 PM, UTC.

gog.com/news/release_tahira_echoes_of_the_astral_empire

---------- Updated at 05:15 PM ----------

Release: Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition

Clash with the Titans.

Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition, a mythical pack that (barely) contains all the polished action-RPG epicness of the original game + The Immortal Throne expansion, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 75% launch discount.

In the time of ancient Gods, warlords, and kings, a land in turmoil cried out for a hero...

You!

Hand-picked by the gods to be their champion in the battle against the rampaging Titans, you traverse the ancient lands of Greece, Egypt, and Asia, searching for shiny loot and legendary beasts to test it on.

Titan Quest
's myth begun 10 years ago but now it's coming back more aggressive, more expansive, and more optimized than ever. With additional content (like new heroes and bosses), improved functionality (better AI, balance tweaks, tons of bug fixes, etc.), and more customization options (higher screen resolutions, adjustable UI size, world editor), it's now even more addictive and multiplayer-friendly than ever.

Flex your clicking fingers and get ready to guide your hero through their most epic Titan Quest yet, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Note
: This edition contains both the base game and The Immortal Throne expansion pack.
The 75% launch discount lasts until September 7, 4:59 PM UTC.

gog.com/news/release_titan_quest_anniversary_edition

Pre-order: Shadow Warrior 2 + Release: Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

Double the katana, double the attitude.

Shadow Warrior 2, the bombastic sequel to the notoriously cheeky FPS, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 10% pre-order discount. Owners of Shadow Warrior (2013) or Hard Reset Redux get an additional 10% discount.

He will slice, he will dice, he'll make the demons pay the price. Lo Wang is once again caught in the middle of a cataclysmic fight that involves dark magic, dark science, and a whole bunch of misshapen monstrosities. But the talented death-dealer is now packing an expanded selection of murder weapons, including his katana, daggers, and hand claws, alongside some nasty magic powers and dependable firearms. The 4 player co-op and brutal damage system will make using all these new toys all the more rewarding and Wang's trash-talking all the more justified.

Craving some more Wang? The timing is perfect for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux to arrive in our fair parts, and with a sexy 75% launch discount to boot! Sporting remastered visuals, two expansion packs, GOG Galaxy support for achievements, and all the old-school sass of Lo Wang, this is the definitive edition of the cult classic. Plus the original Shadow Warrior Classic Complete is now FREE for all those who want to see every single pixel that they're cutting off their enemies.
The 75% discount on Redux will last until September 9, 6:59AM UTC.

Pre-order Shadow Warrior 2 and get ready to carve up some nasty demons, DRM-free on GOG.com. Want to add some style to your mayhem? The Deluxe Edition comes with the soundtrack, the art book, and the Solid Gold Pack.

The 10% pre-order discount will last until the game's release on October 13.
Extra pre-order bonus: the exclusive Razorback chainsaw katana.

gog.com/news/preorder_shadow_warrior_2

Release: Event[0]

Does this unit have a soul?

Event[0], a narrative-driven exploration game where you negotiate your life with a highly intelligent but temperamental A.I., is available now for Windows and Mac, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for achievements.

Can computers feel jealousy? Rejection? Gratitude? The one running your drifting spaceship definitely can. But Kaizen is no ordinary A.I. - you and it have a special bond, one that will only grow deeper and more complex as your relationship and the ship's curious history gradually unfold around you. While you explore the insides of this impressive vessel, the terminals you find will let you talk to Kaizen, who can respond and react to your actions in subtle or forthright ways, depending on its whims. Choosing from a pool of over 2 million lines of dialog, the unpredictable A.I. will engage with you in dynamic conversations, and the way you handle its insecurities will determine whether Kaizen will help you make your way back to Earth, or risk getting lost during a dangerous spacewalk.

Communicate with a brilliant but troubled A.I. and solve the puzzle of the spaceship's true nature in Event[0], DRM-free on GOG.com.

gog.com/news/release_event0

Sounds fun but I hate it when they use "an AI", as a noun. Also if the computer responds and reacts intelligently it should not be completely unpredictable.

- Human: Hi computer.
- Computer: 3 oranges!

Not an unexplored idea, but probably a new execution.

Top Bottom