Cyber Engine Tweaks [on Nexus again]

+
Ofcourse, that's everyone's prerogative.

But you should know this is a very valid reason for
a) removing the mod from Nexus
b) having a pretty big asterix next to your mod.

Because you're gathering personal data for no functional reason.
No we are not gathering personal data, that's what you seem to not be getting, an increment of a number is not personal data, ip is not logged, not stored anywhere. Your lack of understanding of software doesn't mean you are right.

No we are not gathering personal data, that's what you seem to not be getting, an increment of a number is not personal data, ip is not logged, not stored anywhere. Your lack of understanding of software doesn't mean you are right.
Do you expect me to read through all your code?

you're making a curl to this domain, (cet.)tiltedphoques.com , a domain from Panama?
How can I, or anyone else for that matter, confirm you're not logging?

Do you expect me to read through all your code?

you're making a curl to this domain, (cet.)tiltedphoques.com , a domain from Panama?
How can I, or anyone else for that matter, confirm you're not logging?
A domain from Panama? What are you on about, it's a standard cloud flare proxy.

Read the server's code? https://github.com/yamashi/CyberEngineTweaksServer

And if that doesn't satisfy you, let me ask you, how can you confirm that this website respects your data privacy choices? Or any website for that matter? How far does transparency have to go? Do you want to come over to my house and audit my hard drivers?

After that a moderator from Nexus moved on to the github issues and publicly insulted me, I think it is fair to say I won't be coming back to Nexus.

Nexus is weird that way, it's been on a slippery slope ever since Skyrim modding became popular even the screenshots section is very clicky.

I appreciate the time you put into this mod and making it possible and in this day and age it's easy to jump to conclusions.

Cheers!

And if that doesn't satisfy you, let me ask you, how can you confirm that this website respects your data privacy choices? Or any website for that matter? How far does transparency have to go? Do you want to come over to my house and audit my hard drivers?

Okay, let's start with an easy example, like another recent thread about a survey a student is making.
What's the first thing we see here:
2021-02-12 23_56_44-Window.png

The point I'm trying to make, you can't expect to add telemetry for no functional reason and not expect any backlash for it.

A domain from Panama? What are you on about, it's a standard cloud flare proxy.

Yes, I based that info on https://www.virustotal.com/gui/domain/cet.tiltedphoques.com/details

BTW, i'm not saying anything about the quality of the mod, which i was using myself.

So I am telling you that I am not collecting any data, you are then saying how can I know for sure, I tell you how can you ever know for sure, you tell me "because they told me".

Do you see the faulty logic?

A WhoisGuard is pretty standard nowadays... because of personal data... I don't know what you want at this point, you don't want me to ping a server and just increment a number but expect a domain name whois to give you my personal data, it's maddening.

So I am telling you that I am not collecting any data, you are then saying how can I know for sure, I tell you how can you ever know for sure, you tell me "because they told me".

A WhoisGuard is pretty standard nowadays... because of personal data... I don't know what you want at this point, you don't want me to ping a server and just increment a number but expect a domain name whois to give you my personal data, it's maddening.

Where did I ever say I'm expecting that? :D I'm just saying where I got that information, nothing more.

Really, you're letting everyone that uses your mod make a curl to a server you own.
You're literally using something to protect your privacy, and you don't understand why some people might find it hard to trust that the only thing you are doing is incrementing a counter, (while it would be trivial for you to just log the request being made and store it in a file)? How are you this dense?

You might be telling the truth, just incrementing that counter, and I might even believe you.
But, to get back to the original point, I think it's very normal that your mod got removed from Nexus for this.

Where did I ever say I'm expecting that? :D I'm just saying where I got that information, nothing more.

Really, you're letting everyone that uses your mod make a curl to a server you own.
You're literally using something to protect your privacy, and you don't understand why some people might find it hard to trust that the only thing you are doing is incrementing a counter, (while it would be trivial for you to just log the request being made and store it in a file)? How are you this dense?

You might be telling the truth, just incrementing that counter, and I might even believe you.
But, to get back to the original point, I think it's very normal that your mod got removed from Nexus for this.

My mod didn't get removed, I hid it.

Yes I am making a curl request, with a random string in it. I am not using anything to protect my privacy, it's the standard for any domain name bought by a European, I didn't choose it.

So your only argument is a conspiracy where I would log IPs (because reasons?) even though both the server and client are source available. Not only that but you have absolutely no reason to believe I would have malicious intentions given I have never done anything to hurt anyone. This is called paranoia my friend.

My mod didn't get removed, I hid it.
All right then

Yes I am making a curl request, with a random string in it. I am not using anything to protect my privacy, it's the standard for any domain name bought by a European, I didn't choose it.

Even so, using something to protect your privacy does not make you look suspicious. I thought if you know that your registrar is using something to protect your privacy, you would also understand why this curl could be interpreted as problematic.

So your only argument is a conspiracy where I would log IPs (because reasons?) even though both the server and client are source available. Not only that but you have absolutely no reason to believe I would have malicious intentions given I have never done anything to hurt anyone. This is called paranoia my friend.

It's really not, because it would be very trivial for these requests to be logged on the server side; having a unique random string even makes it more greppable (lol).

I never said it wouldn't be easy to log an IP with the traefik reverse proxy, I just said I don't, you don't believe me and have no good reason not to believe me therefore it's paranoia.

This guy is just trying to make sure all his pennies are counted.
Mod making is not a job, it's a hobby. If you want to make a mod for your own use that's great, if you wish to share it with others for free that's your choice and one to be applauded. If people wish to donate money to the mod maker that's fine.

But if you're only making mod's to make money, then you need to get a real job.

This guy is just trying to make sure all his pennies are counted.
Mod making is not a job, it's a hobby. If you want to make a mod for your own use that's great, if you wish to share it with others for free that's your choice and one to be applauded. If people wish to donate money to the mod maker that's fine.

But if you're only making mod's to make money, then you need to get a real job.
Good thing you are here to decide what is and what isn't a job. Also care to explain how this is about money? I am removing from nexus which is the only source of money, I fail to see how you go from this to "this is about money".

I never said it wouldn't be easy to log an IP with the traefik reverse proxy, I just said I don't, you don't believe me and have no good reason not to believe me therefore it's paranoia.

That's not a valid argument man...
And once again, I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying I think it's perfectly normal for people to take issue with this newly added functionality

Telemetry even if it's a totally harmless "increment the counter and don't log anything" is a bad thing.
People are sick of every app and their grandma calling home.
Having another piece of software doing it understandably will cause a backlash.

It's your software and it's your right and your choice to add anything to it, remove it all together or even paywall your crap.
It's my PC and it's my right and my choice to not install CET and avoid anything coded by you.

There is that little insignificant thing called "reputation" and IMO you totally destroyed yours.

Nexus is weird that way, it's been on a slippery slope ever since Skyrim modding became popular even the screenshots section is very clicky.
Cheers!

Back in the Days of Oblivion it was FREAKING FANTASTIC! It was the ONLY place I offered my mods.
I am not as comfortable navigating it these days but I thought it was because I am just an old guy now.

There were a lot less people involved in moding back then so maybe its that it feels less "club" like to me and more "University" like now. If that makes any sense. I still think it is one of the best place to get "safe n sane" mods.

Last edited:
Back in the Days of Oblivion it was FREAKING FANTASTIC! It was the ONLY place I offered my mods.
I am not as comfortable navigating it these days but I thought it was because I am just an old guy now.

There were a lot less people involved in moding back then so maybe its that it feels less "club like" to me and more "University" like now. If that makes any sense. I still think it is one of the best place to get "safe n sound" mods.

Same, I was mostly involved with interacting with the mod authors and the screenshot community but nowadays it's very different, the screenshot community is segregated into small groups while the mod authors all need to adhere to a certain narrative...

Quite representative of the global state of affairs lol...

Honestly, anyone that thinks that Cyber Engine Tweaks collecting a user count is doing anything nefarious is off their rocker. The server source code is public, as well as the code for CET itself. It doesn't take a genius to look at the relevant code and see that what Yamashi is saying is in fact, true.

It's also ironic that if this is at the top of your concerns, you're not worried about Windows sending way more identifiable data to Microsoft, Chrome sending everything you do to Google, or the mere fact of opening an app on your smartphone generates dozens of identifiable telemetry requests.

I really don't understand where people get off on creating drama out of a simple user count that anyone can see at https://cet.tiltedphoques.com/stat. How about you channel this energy into doing something about the actual bad actors on the internet that reap your data hand over foot to sell you shit you don't need?
Post automatically merged:

Privacy concerns.
With telemetry active, the mod sends your data to the application owner which, be it anonymized or not, still poses a legitimate privacy risk.

How in the hell does anonymized data pose a privacy risk? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
How in the hell does anonymized data pose a privacy risk? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Because anonymized data in theory is all nice and well, but in practice it's a bit more nuanced :).
(for example)

It's also ironic that if this is at the top of your concerns, you're not worried about Windows sending way more identifiable data to Microsoft, Chrome sending everything you do to Google, or the mere fact of opening an app on your smartphone generates dozens of identifiable telemetry requests.

Where did I ever say I didn't care about these kind of things?
I mean... :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, anyone that thinks that Cyber Engine Tweaks collecting a user count is doing anything nefarious is off their rocker. The server source code is public, as well as the code for CET itself. It doesn't take a genius to look at the relevant code and see that what Yamashi is saying is in fact, true.

The server source code is public?
If that were true, it would change some of the specifics of this discussion, but my broader point still stands tbh.

Top Bottom