Cyberpunk 2020 Novels by Stephen Billias

+
I've.....looked at them. They seemed terrible, so I gave them a pass. This blurb does not help:

"Manhattan is now a Cyberpunk urban hell called Night City. Here, the Ravengers, a gang created of rejects from other gangs, roam the streets, headed by leaders byteboi and bytegirl. They agree to help the Digital Librarians create a new world, but are thwarted in their attempts by corporate soldiers who will not tolerate threats to the reigning pop culture of sex and violence."

Manhattan. What's a Ravenger? SHouldn't that be Rejectenger? byteboi? Digital Librarians? Ugh.

"Manhattan is now a Cyberpunk urban hell called Night City. Here, the Ravengers, a gang created of rejects from other gangs, roam the streets, headed by leaders byteboi and bytegirl. They agree to help the Digital Librarians create a new world, but are thwarted in their attempts by corporate soldiers who will not tolerate threats to the reigning pop culture of sex and violence."
Guess the author assumed readers needed everything spelled out for them ... not like anyone into Cyberpunk actually has a working brain.

Amazon review:
"I have played Cyberpunk RPG since 91'. This is the first book I have read from the series and it sucks. It captured the attitude of your average gangers pretty well and I can't complain about the description of the enviroment. The only problem is that it still sucked."

"However the story itself and all the "why" and "how" and "what" questions are answered in such a fashion that you would think you were being told a story by a 7 year old who was making it up as he went along (if not for the sex and drugs). Characters need a weapon? Suddenly they have one. Characters need something interesting to happen? Something random happens and they come out unscathed. Stereotypes galore? Got it. It's like a story filled with really dumb characters who play extras in the greater story of the main characters, who are also dumb."

Last edited:
i would have to agree with that Amazon reviewer. I couldn't even get half way through the book before i quit and feel my life is better not finishing it.

Judging by that blurb, this is what Cyberpunk 2077 would have been if the average publisher had their way with it.

Judging by that blurb, this is what Cyberpunk 2077 would have been if the average publisher had their way with it.
More then likely.
I'd suspect it would have been an FPS with little-to-no RPG elements. After all you have guns, armor, and borgs ... I mean what more could anyone want!

Probably even less with Bethesda.

---------- Updated at 09:18 PM ----------

More then likely.
I'd suspect it would have been an FPS with little-to-no RPG elements. After all you have guns, armor, and borgs ... I mean what more could anyone want!

It hit me home, because I know jack and shit of everything related cyberpunk tabletop. Especially it's mechanics.

It hit me home, because I know jack and shit of everything related cyberpunk tabletop. Especially it's mechanics.
Basically it's like most other PnP RPGs, each is set in it's own "reality".

There are as many variations in how they're played as there are groups playing them, no two games are ever the same. But in general they usually fall into one (or a mix of) the following categories:

A) Combat simulation - The role-play elements are used as window dressing for combat, many (most?) console/puter RPGs fall in to this category.

B) "Monty Haul" - The game centers around over-powered character/items, popular with the "bragging rights" crowd.

C) "Munchkins" - Logic and common sense are tossed out the window in favor of over-the-top situations, fun, but more like a cartoon/anime then anything else.

D) Standard RPG - You play your character(s) acting and reacting to the people-events-situations presented by your Game Master (GM). Keeping in mind your character may not always view these things the same way you the player do.

E) "Serious" RPG - You go out of your way to act/react based not only on the setting your character is in but their personality which usually differs significantly from you the players.

Top Bottom