Cyberpunk 2077 mod tools released!

+
These "mod tools" are just archive extractors with no documentation. There's no info on data formats, how the data is used, and no higher level tools like the visual editors that Bethesda provides for their games. It's kind of like an auto mechanic telling you how to build a car from scratch and step one is "build the engine and transmission" without any further elaboration.

If these tools were a firearm, they'd be a flintlock pistol.

nexus has that feature, people comment on mods that posted there, check it out.
always great when people miss the point... seems like i am not transmitting properly. must be some interference. let me try to tackle this from a more linear angle:

so now that mods are officially supported, there will be a whole lot of posts around mods in the forums here, and instead of having posts on and about mods all over the place, a sub forum would be prudent and smart.

makes sense now?

Yup. More than that: Here

Contributing User Content; Licence Grant To CDPR: When you create, contribute and share User Content to the Game, Section 4 of the Fan Content Guidelines will apply. In particular, you retain the right toyour original User Content, however you expressly grant to us a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, worldwide, sub-licensable, royalty-free licence to use, modify, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, exploit, transmit, perform and communicate your fan content in connection with our games.
So basically. If they rip off a mod and put it in the game. You can't complain.

always great when people miss the point... seems like i am not transmitting properly. must be some interference. let me try to tackle this from a more linear angle:

so now that mods are officially supported, there will be a whole lot of posts around mods in the forums here, and instead of having posts on and about mods all over the place, a sub forum would be prudent and smart.

makes sense now?
look whatever you and me think is more suitable, at the end it's up to moderation team. if they want to deal with the traffic, sure they'll create those forums. will it be useful and make it easier for us to reach those mods? that's debatable I guess...

Last edited:

Developers never directly "rip off" a mod. In fact most devs ask modders if they can add said content directly to a title and in some cases pay or credit the original author. Or even develop a better version of the original implementation with the modders help. Its everyone else who doesnt make the mods who whine "its a rip-off". And that is coming from experience.

YEAH, that is how it has pretty much been for the over 20 years I have made mods. :shrug:

I mean people WILL complain, but at least now it is in black and white for OTHER people to point to. I have had features of my mods put into AAA made games and that was originally my goal. To show certain concepts CAN work so the PROS would use them. I am a weak coder, I know I cannot do it professionally. But I was a RL medieval combat practitioner of some note at the time (starting in the 1980s) and had combat mechanics that in the late 90s I was told would not be fun and could not be implemented. This was from some "friends" who were PRO DEV in the game industry then. I knew they were wrong but the only way to prove it was to do it myself with mods years later. I am extremely grateful to Bethesda for that, and happily have them take all the ideas they want to put into real PC games.

But that is just me, I can understand that some others want to do this professionally and would rather they be hired than just have their stuff "borrowed".

look whatever you and me think is more suitable, at the end it's up to moderation team. if they want to deal with the traffic, sure they'll create those forums. will it be useful and make it easier for us to reach those mods? that's debatable I guess...
i just want them out of the way, is all ^^

It worked great over at the Bethesda Forums. Most of the TOP mod Authors were regular members there so for me it was a one stop location to be in the HUB of both playing the game and making mods. I as a mod maker and a player would like to see that here as well.

Edit: on the other hand Mod making is not like it use to be with Hex editors and Notebook scripts editing and Graphics UI. Oblivion was the easiest game in history (so far) to make mods so a LOT of NEW mod makers were attracted to it from the game part of the forum to the mod making part of the forum. This may not now be the case. I know what I see in games files now intimidates me as a mod maker unlike in Oblivion days where I knew I could make ANY mod I could dream of.

Miss those days...

Last edited:
Will we get mod capability for console, like Skyrim, it all depends on CDPR giving that capability

Having a programming background and doing it for a living, addicted to video games and being completely entranced by the dystopian cyberpunk setting, I was really looking forward to seeing what I could do with the mod tools. Unfortunately having never modded a game before and unfortunately their "tools" don't seem to do anything and there's no explanation on what you're supposed to do with them :(

Unfortunately having never modded a game before...

OH man I envy you! I have been a mod maker for over 20 years. I fear theses days the tec for games has passed way over my head but when I did make mods it was so obsessive I think it was part of the reason my on line business shut down. I was spending 20 hours a week for YEARS creating mods. It is like you wake up inside a fantasyland and someone just gave you a magic wand!

Even if you do not make stuff that makes you a "rockstar" with other gamers, you still can SCULPT your game environments to be PERFECT to what YOU want. You end of with games that are near 100% PERFECT for your taste!

My hope is that someday PC AI will be so advanced that I can tell it the parameters for what I want the code to do and it will write all the complicated ones and zeros leaving me time to actually enjoy the game instead of spending my entire weekend playtesting the tweaks I made that week. Kind of what you see in Star Trek where some crew members like the security officer (who do not necessarily have a master of coding ) could make Holodeck programs with the help of the computer.

Top Bottom