Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Look into errors in events in windows. Yesterday I found Dolby sound service crashing my game. So I uninstalled it and no more crashing so far.
Interesting. When I was debugging the game I also found something that might be related to sound lib issue. Hmmm... maybe this is a key.
Post automatically merged:

So my game ran fine for the last 44 hours, I was using a 1070. I just got a 3070 nd now the game is just broken, I play for about 3 minutes and it flatlines.
I've run tests and played other games with the 3070 and everything seems to be fine with those games.
Yep, the same with 3070 it seems like something is completely wrong for rtx30x models. I know people who played using 1060 without issues.

OMG!! I somehow fix the "Cyberpunk Flatlined" error!!
I turn off XMP, putting my CPU and RAM into default setting, and setting my GPU into default setting.
and...game just worked! play 8 hours nonstop, no problem. But!! After 6 hours, the average frame rate drops to 40-50 from 60-70. all i need is to restart the game. Don't know why, but at least i can play now!

For reference, there are details of my Flatlined error:
Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
File: <Unknown>(0)

Hello everyone,
I'm here to report some issues I'm experiencing since the new 1.06 hotfix for the Steam version of the game.
After the new patch my game is continuously crashing for no apparent reasons.
First time was during a normal walk in the NC streets.
Second time during a gunfight against random dudes.
Third, fourth and fifth time was during the
Delamain - Don't Lose Your Mind
quest. By the way I'm pretty sure that it's just a coincidence.

I checked the game files integrity and Steam found 8 corrupted files, so now is downloading 47.5GB, as you can see below

View attachment 11111657

My PC specs:
Motherboard: X570 Aorus Elite
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3.2GHz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070Ti 8GB VRAM
PSU: Corsair 750W
Cooler: Noctua DH-15
Airflow and CPU temps are always good.

I also checked the crash report game folder and I can still see all compressed archives, I don't know if it's normal, I humbly think that those reports wasn't delivered to the bug/crash tracker system.

By the way I respect CD Project Red as game developers, their works and I love this game. I hope to report good things after the huge download.
Thank you all <3

After this download I checked again the file integrity and Steam found 5 corrupted files and 45GB to download. Also my computer keeps crashing with BSOD.
I don't know what is happening, I'm scared.

I can 100% confirm, Flatline behavior (crash to desktop), at least at my side, is coming from nvidia drivers.
I had around 8 crashes today, and every single one i checked at Event Viewer, the message was:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

and CP2077 crash logs from ReportQueue is :

"!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp

Line: 40".

It happens it two difference computers (Intel 9900k / 2060 super / 32Gb ddr 4 & Ryzen 5 3700 xt / 3080 / 32Gb ddr 4) , & with 3 different drivers (456.71 / 457.51 / 460.97) . Crashed in random moments, be it walking, entering elevator, etc. I have no frame drops, and/or overheat problems, (both cpu/gpu below 60c), and no overclock (again both cpu/gpu). Also a lot other people with RTX series gets exactly same crashes due to nvidia drivers.Maybe something from game not playing good with RTX series & DirectX 12? And people without RTX cards, seems they have no problem? I think CDPR should make contact with nvidia perhaps.

Edit: Now i get MORE crashes with different crash logs, such as:

"!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression: result == archive::LoadingResult::SUCCESSFUL
Message: Failed to load archive Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content\basegame_4_appearance.archive, error 3, try regenerating archives!
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\resource\src\resourcegamedepot.cpp

Line: 499"

13 crashes today as it shows at the image. I think i wait until more patches comes out, because every other games i play (rdr2,sottr,ac valhalla,etc), have no crashes at all.

Attachments

• 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
One more thing, I took 2 RAM Sticks out (previously 4x8GB - 2 different RAM kits @2933mhz) from my Ryzen 2700x System, run the remaining 2 in Dual Channel @3200mhz. And now it runs without any crashes. I don't know if the RAM sticks were faulty, or mismatched kits (even though I knew that Ryzen 2700x can't handle 4 ram sticks well because of the weak memory controller).

Update,, It flatlined again after several hours of play time..

InternalVersion: 3.0.3235023 P4CL: 4177747 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Unhandled exception
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x2.
File: <Unknown>
Line: 0

I recently posted few messages about solving gpu crash issues with CP. Today was first day, when I was able to purposely reproduce error instead trying to solve it.

Error: Gpu dx12 crash
My HW: R5 3600, nV 3060 Ti (Palit Gaming Pro OC - factory OCed)

What triggered crashes:
1)Ryzen PBO
2)Over factory OC of GPU, but I can at least have 112% Power limit

If I try to turn on PBO or more OC GPU, I get crash.
I think all other random crashes (like atmos service, etc...) were only side effects.

CP is very demanding and my R5 3600 CPU is 100% loaded (all 12 threads).

I have to say, I have water cooling with 400W+ cooling effect, so bad cooling wasnt the case in case of CPU.

Ok people by the looks of it this game is crashing in a lot of different ways to try and control the chaos lets get some crash reports they can be found in.

C:\Users\[YOUR ACCOUNT]\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue
Then go into the most recent crash folder and you should see report.text and stacktrace.txt

Stacktrace.text tells you your exact crash for example mine says the following.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp(198)

The better we get this organised the more people that can be helped.
did you figure out whats the issue ?

1.06 literally killed the game for me. Reinstalled, verified integrity, and keep getting crashes. I'm not gonna refund it, but i will wait several months before reinstalling it.

I can 100% confirm, Flatline behavior (crash to desktop), at least at my side, is coming from nvidia drivers.
I had around 8 crashes today, and every single one i checked at Event Viewer, the message was:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

and CP2077 crash logs from ReportQueue is :

"!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp

Line: 40".

It happens it two difference computers (Intel 9900k / 2060 super / 32Gb ddr 4 & Ryzen 5 3700 xt / 3080 / 32Gb ddr 4) , & with 3 different drivers (456.71 / 457.51 / 460.97) . Crashed in random moments, be it walking, entering elevator, etc. I have no frame drops, and/or overheat problems, (both cpu/gpu below 60c), and no overclock (again both cpu/gpu). Also a lot other people with RTX series gets exactly same crashes due to nvidia drivers.Maybe something from game not playing good with RTX series & DirectX 12? And people without RTX cards, seems they have no problem? I think CDPR should make contact with nvidia perhaps.

Edit: Now i get MORE crashes with different crash logs, such as:

"!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression: result == archive::LoadingResult::SUCCESSFUL
Message: Failed to load archive Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content\basegame_4_appearance.archive, error 3, try regenerating archives!
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\resource\src\resourcegamedepot.cpp

Line: 499"

13 crashes today as it shows at the image. I think i wait until more patches comes out, because every other games i play (rdr2,sottr,ac valhalla,etc), have no crashes at all.

Hey, GTX 1060 here. Also getting constant crashes, bout every 2-3 minutes. Was totally fine before update 1.04
my crash log also states it is a gpu related crash, for unknown reasons of course.

Honestly at this point I don't think it's the drivers, every other game is totally fine. I'm assuming the way they implemented DX12 in 2077 has a lot of micro-issues, causing tons of different people to have different crashes.
Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Just wanted to let you know we poor people stuck on 10 series cards are still definetly having just as many crashes.

FYI for anyone using DS4Windows with a PS4 controller to allow rumble functionality.
Turns out that was the root cause of my constant flatline crash issues since 1.04 update.

Don't have rumble anymore but I've gone the past 18 hours with no crashes.
hope this helps some of you. :)
thank you so much i was searching for the problems for days now

Guest 4478408

Edit: @rpk81: buy a more powerful supply and you will be able to activate the xmp settings again.
thats a stretch. not every problem has the same solution. its nice that you could identify yours, but i seriously doubt a different psu will make a difference here.
to my experience memory seldom is stable with xmp profiles enabled without manual tweaking untill its memory that is explicitly listed in the compatiblity list of the motherboard *at its xmp frequency*. its not how it should be but thats how it is.
when building a new pc or replacing memory, its always neccesary to througly test the memory. google how to test your memory for stability and how to get it stable if it is not. its not a trivial topic. if you cant manage, just disable xmp, performance loss will be relatively small.

Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
as above.
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x2.
as above

my crash log also states it is a gpu related crash, for unknown reasons of course.
just a hunch but it seems the source of your crashes is related to *your* graphic card, not the game. "dx12 micro issues" , sorry thats bs.
fact is that most users of your gpu dont experience your isssues. you will have to find out what is causing your problems. game patches wont fix them.

If I try to turn on PBO or more OC GPU, I get crash.
I think all other random crashes (like atmos service, etc...) were only side effects.

not unheard of that factory oc gpu are instable at factory oc, but the fact that your system crashes with either pbo or gpu factory oc enabled hints at a different thing. to my experience at least ryzen cpu do NOT get instable with pbo enabled, but they need a lot more power. just guesswork, as i cant look inside your computer, but it seems to me this could very well be caused by an insufficient power supply or cooling.

After this download I checked again the file integrity and Steam found 5 corrupted files and 45GB to download. Also my computer keeps crashing with BSOD.
I don't know what is happening, I'm scared.

deffo something kaputt on your side. data corruption usually has one of three reasons:
1: bad overclocking. did you oc your system bus? if yes restore bios defaults and see if problem persists.
2: your drive is dying. i suggest you use a smart monitor to see if your drive diagnosis has anything to say about this.
3: memory instabilities. IF your drive does not think its dying, you can try to set a slower frequency for your memory in your bios and see if problem persists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, GTX 1060 here. Also getting constant crashes, bout every 2-3 minutes. Was totally fine before update 1.04

Honestly at this point I don't think it's the drivers, every other game is totally fine. I'm assuming the way they implemented DX12 in 2077 has a lot of micro-issues, causing tons of different people to have different crashes.
Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Just wanted to let you know we poor people stuck on 10 series cards are still definetly having just as many crashes.

Yip I can confirm that, games been unplayable for me since 1.03 KEKW and none of the patches after 1.03 made any difference in the way the game behave..this is the 1st game EVER that I'm unable to play and Im out of ideas too.....*sigh*

1.04 no go for me. still flatlined after trying to load/start again/etc.
Rechecked/reinstalled/updated 4 times.
Her brother i had the exact same issue on a brand new rtx 3080 and 3800x with 32gb of ram. Temps were all in the green cpu and gpu usage under 50% and no electrical issues.

After a while of sesrching i started to log everything in my PC and discovered that some random program was slowly using all my vram when my vram was filled at 10gb i would start to get random lags in game and the graphic drivers would stop responding and id get the same event viewer "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I found out that slobs was forcing gpu rendering on the card and also using gpu acceleration. Turned both off and since then all issues disappeared and the game is buttery smooth. It might not be obs for you but check the vram usage and what is hogging it. Might be a part of the problem.

Hi everyone,
I just want to say i solve the issue regardin gpuapidx12error.cpp(40) error By Changing the scale back to 100% on windows 10.
Everytime i try to play with 125% i get that error.
Good luck i hope i help someone

just a hunch but it seems the source of your crashes is related to *your* graphic card, not the game. "dx12 micro issues" , sorry thats bs.
fact is that most users of your gpu dont experience your isssues. you will have to find out what is causing your problems. game patches wont fix them.

Doesn't add up when every other dx12 game runs just fine, and so did 2077 before the 1.04 patch. My friend who owns a 1070 is going through the same exact thing as well.

I'd also like to add that this is CDPR's first dx12 game I believe. Using their own in-house engine. It's entirely plausible that them completely upgrading the rendering engine to be DX12 exclusive is causing issues. Especially when most DX12 only games on pc are microsoft exclusive titles. CDPR simply isn't comparable to most AAA developers with in-house engines, as most studios now have upwards of 15,000 developers and as far as i'm aware CDPR only has about 400.

Last edited:

Guest 4478408

Doesn't add up when every other dx12 game runs just fine
not how it works. its a VERY common phenomen that a system is stable in some applications but not others. "every other game runs perfect!" is probably the most said centence in any games trouble shooting thread.

If it can be of any help, while we BETATEST the game for CDPR for free, with our trial and error DAYS... once again
focus on the fact that in my case with dual boot and of course the same hardware the game NEVER STARTED under Windows 10, and can be played under windows 7 (still crashes but in random time from 5 to 60 minutes). So i'm gonna say at least in my case this is a NON-hardware related issue. Seems more like some stupid files interaction.

100% sure the game has not been tested enough, rushed to release date, since it has SO MANY different bugs and SO MANY potential issues, and solutions (IF EVER), that can drive you crazy.

We should stop feeling guity about our hardware possibly causing problems, I'm telling you.

IT'S (in) THE GAME

(pun intended)

The long journey to eliminate "Cyberpunk has flatlined!"...
Things I tried for hours after reading what various google search results had to offer:
(
none of these helped, still crashed every 10 to 20 minutes)
  • Disabling Game Boost and XMP in BIOS.
  • Disabling GPU Overclocking in MSI Afterburner.
  • Setting PhysX device to CPU in Nvidia Control Panel.
  • Disabling Data Execution Prevention for anything but Windows programs and services.
  • Excluding the games partition from Windows Antivirus Scanning.
  • Turning on "Slow HDD Option" (despite running from an SSD).
  • Reducing graphics settings in game to minimum.
  • Turning off DS4Windows (I am using this to toggle Gyro-Mouse on/off for aiming... would of course be better if the game supported Gyro aiming out of the box).
  • Verifying Game files.
  • Deleting the GPU Shader Cache on disk.
  • Enabled and set a 32GB paging file (had this completely turned off, thinking 32GB of RAM might be sufficient).

Then skimming this thread...
  • Turning off Gamepad Rumble (set Controller Vibration to 0 in game and to 0% in DS4Windows).
  • ^ THIS! Finally seems to have fixed it. ^

After that I played for over 2 hours (then I ended the game gracefully, no crash) without any crashes to desktop (also with other options re-enabled again like BIOS Game Boost, XMP, MSI Afterburner GPU overclocking, PhysX back to Auto, slow HDD off, graphics settings back to high, also using DS4Windows again), so it seems it was solely related to Controller Vibration.

The only time I had another crash was a few minutes after enabling Raytracing options (will keep those off now, since my GPU can't handle them well anyway, probably exceeded available VRAM).

System Info:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
MS-7B86, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB VRAM

Top Bottom