Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
[FIXED]
Enter the Cyberpunk 2077 folder, delete the "bin" folder, then validate game files via steam. Hope to help somebody else.

Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.3333840 P4CL: 4269468 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at 0x7FFBA3F253D0.
File: <Unknown>
Line: 0
Thanks @RogerFang that worked for me. :beer:

My software/specs:
Cyberpunk 1.22
GTX 1070 @ driver 466.27
Windows 10.0.19043 Build 19043 (aka. v. 21H1 OS build 19043.1023)

My game saves were from version 1.2 of the game and I had not problem loading those old saves now.
I did not try to re-install the game, I just re-installed my GPU driver and nuked the "bin" folder as advised and validated the game files in steam.
I bet I could have just nuked the "bin" folder without messing with the GPU driver since the game crashed both with and without the new driver.

I looked at the majority of these posts, and I did not want to modify the files. I have an i7 4790K that I overclock a little bit (i.e. it's stable with AVX for an hour until I stop the benchmark). I also run a GTX 970 gaming gpu; apparently it came overclocked. I overclock the GPU a little more too (+110 core, +400 mem). The thing that I was missing was the fan on the GPU. My CPU runs around 40 to 46 degrees C. My GPU was going above 56 and maybe more on the "auto" fan setting. I set my GPU fan to be more aggressive, and I haven't had a problem since (about 3 hours). It used to happen every hour or 30 minutes. Ultimately I think this watchdog timeout is the result of an unstable overclock, and putting the fans on max seems to help.

Last night I started playing cp2077 and all was good, i completed prologue and saved the game, today i updated the game to 1.23 and started, after a few seconds game freeze on the intro screen before main menu and crashed. I'm on pc and using epic games launcher. I tried starting the epic games launcher as admin, deleting the bin file and validating game files. i also tried running cyberpunk2077.exe as admin, none of these worked. here's the log i get from crash;

InternalVersion: 3.0.3413222 P4CL: 4337833 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
!!!CRASHED!!!
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFF00000000.

//keeps going on but seems like these lines doesnt matter since no one posted the rest. I have last updates for my gpu, I'd appreciate any help. I dont really want to delete the whole game and re download it with my 8mbps net, thx for help fellas

EDIT: I tried validating game files once again since i was desperate and it magically helped this time.

Last edited:
Last night I started playing cp2077 and all was good, i completed prologue and saved the game, today i updated the game to 1.23 and started, after a few seconds game freeze on the intro screen before main menu and crashed. I'm on pc and using epic games launcher. I tried starting the epic games launcher as admin, deleting the bin file and validating game files. i also tried running cyberpunk2077.exe as admin, none of these worked. here's the log i get from crash;

InternalVersion: 3.0.3413222 P4CL: 4337833 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
!!!CRASHED!!!
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFF00000000.

//keeps going on but seems like these lines doesnt matter since no one posted the rest. I have last updates for my gpu, I'd appreciate any help. I dont really want to delete the whole game and re download it with my 8mbps net, thx for help fellas

EDIT: I tried validating game files once again since i was desperate and it magically helped this time.
Are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past? If so, that would be the first place to look.

If not, then I'd recommend rolling back the driver and seeing if it goes away. What drivers are you using, and did you download reference drivers directly from Nvidia / AMD?

To all the people that experience crashes-to-desktop, restarts, or not being able to launch the game, here are 10 things you can try:

• Validate game files via game client (fixes texture issues, crashes, other bugs)
  • update, reinstall, or clean-install GPU drivers (fixes crash-to-desktop)
  • Flash your BIOS and enable the XMP profile for your DRAM. Leave everything else on Auto. (fixes PC-restarts, high temperatures, and issues with USB connectivity on systems with Ryzen CPU)
  • Reinstall the whole game (fixes the insta-crash after pressing PLAY)
  • If your GPU has more than one power connector, use a dedicated PCIe cable for each connection, don't use one cable for two connectors. (fixes restarts caused by voltage spikes, especially with RTX-30-series cards and/or weak PSUs)
  • Load an older save file. (helps preventing bugs in general)
  • restore settings in your GPU control panel.
  • disable all overclocking settings and make sure your fan profile is enabled.
  • compare scaling mode performed by GPU with performed by Display.
  • Disable Adaptive Sync for windowed mode (fixes FPS being locked to the monitor's refresh rate which might have been tried to be compensated with inadequate overclocking)

Seriously? What else? Might we go to relocate at Tibet and pray to Budha 24/7 to get a stable game? I had like 100 crashes (flatlines) back in jan-march. Fixed with with newest updates. Updated it again to latest version, and so far, i got like 6-7 crashes to desktop in just 10 mins. Game just crashing after 5-10 mins.
Vanilla game. Verified my files via steam, found 4 files that needed to get ''fixed'', started, crashed again after 5 minutes. Game is just defective and broken beyond any imagination. It just gets worse with every patch, and it's crystal clear CDPR can't fix that mess. Please stop blame our hardware and suggesting hilarious ''solutions'' like flash the bios, upgrade gpu drivers, format your pc, reinstall windows, or throw your gpu out of the window from 100th floor.. Played The Witcher 3 for over 500h with like 100 mods, and had 4-5 crash Red Engine errors only,and fixed everything after merging.RDR2 like 350h NOT a single crash. AC: Odyssey/Valhalla both over 150h,NOT a single crash. The Division 2 for 1100h NOT a single crash. Even Mass Effect: Andromeda NEVER crashed. Only game that crashed like CP2077 was...Skyrim, and that's because i had it ultra modded with around 300+ mods and half was scripted ones. My last solution? Uninstalled it once and for all,and not gonna reinstall it again,at least for the next 1-2 years.

I got same crash screen and the root cause for me the CyberEngine Tweak. I deleted CyberEngine Tweak's directory and game run fine

Seriously? What else? Might we go to relocate at Tibet and pray to Budha 24/7 to get a stable game? I had like 100 crashes (flatlines) back in jan-march. Fixed with with newest updates. Updated it again to latest version, and so far, i got like 6-7 crashes to desktop in just 10 mins. Game just crashing after 5-10 mins.
Vanilla game. Verified my files via steam, found 4 files that needed to get ''fixed'', started, crashed again after 5 minutes. Game is just defective and broken beyond any imagination. It just gets worse with every patch, and it's crystal clear CDPR can't fix that mess. Please stop blame our hardware and suggesting hilarious ''solutions'' like flash the bios, upgrade gpu drivers, format your pc, reinstall windows, or throw your gpu out of the window from 100th floor.. Played The Witcher 3 for over 500h with like 100 mods, and had 4-5 crash Red Engine errors only,and fixed everything after merging.RDR2 like 350h NOT a single crash. AC: Odyssey/Valhalla both over 150h,NOT a single crash. The Division 2 for 1100h NOT a single crash. Even Mass Effect: Andromeda NEVER crashed. Only game that crashed like CP2077 was...Skyrim, and that's because i had it ultra modded with around 300+ mods and half was scripted ones. My last solution? Uninstalled it once and for all,and not gonna reinstall it again,at least for the next 1-2 years.
;/ Sorry man... I tend to have a lot of patience with such things but I can understand that it must be frustrating. You probably can't hear it anymore when I tell you that reinstalling the game actually helped me to get rid of insta-crashing some while ago.

Was having fun on my old PC with i7-6700k/16gb 2133mhz/RTX2070 for hundred plus hours, changed to a new PC @ R5900x/32gb 3600mhz/RTX 3070, then crash non-stop after starting the game for a few minutes.

The first time could ran for so long (~50 minutes), went thru nomad prologue, started the first mission with Jacky, then after saving the woman, called Wakako, and once I reach the parking garage, I had my first CTD/flatline. Then I reloaded the game, play a while, and crash again.
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x0.
"uptimeSeconds":3306
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
"uptimeSeconds":416
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x26E76411290.
"uptimeSeconds":733
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x2658E2AAA30.
"uptimeSeconds":546

Tried deleted and redownload the bin folder, did a DDU clean GPU wipe and reinstall driver, verify files... none worked.

Should not be SSD/RAM problems, for I have tried other games and they ran fine for hours (Days Gone, Company of Heroes 2, Metro Exodus).

Finally tried downclocking my RTX 3070's core and mem clock both by 100mhz and still crashed, but different message now:

Message: The thread caused a user-mode data execution prevention (DEP) violation at 0x200000001.
"uptimeSeconds":845

The game was already running in Administrator mode. Nothing works.
Wouldn't want to reinstall the whole game since with my place's internet speed it would takes like 2 ~ 3 days.

Anyone have any ideas what can I do further to fix this? It's driving me crazy at this point.

Was having fun on my old PC with i7-6700k/16gb 2133mhz/RTX2070 for hundred plus hours, changed to a new PC @ R5900x/32gb 3600mhz/RTX 3070, then crash non-stop after starting the game for a few minutes.

The first time could ran for so long (~50 minutes), went thru nomad prologue, started the first mission with Jacky, then after saving the woman, called Wakako, and once I reach the parking garage, I had my first CTD/flatline. Then I reloaded the game, play a while, and crash again.

Tried deleted and redownload the bin folder, did a DDU clean GPU wipe and reinstall driver, verify files... none worked.

Should not be SSD/RAM problems, for I have tried other games and they ran fine for hours (Days Gone, Company of Heroes 2, Metro Exodus).

Finally tried downclocking my RTX 3070's core and mem clock both by 100mhz and still crashed, but different message now:

The game was already running in Administrator mode. Nothing works.
Wouldn't want to reinstall the whole game since with my place's internet speed it would takes like 2 ~ 3 days.

Anyone have any ideas what can I do further to fix this? It's driving me crazy at this point.

I just did a quick research by googling EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION:
- try to add an Exception for Data Execution Prevention for Cyberpunk2077.exe in the windows settings. Maybe this also has to be done for folders that contain save-files or other folders that are linked to the game.
- Could be caused when removing USB devices like headsets, or by an unstable USB connection caused by old version of AGESA. In case of the latter, updating or flashing the BIOS might help. Make sure the update is from April 2021 or newer.

Last edited:
I just did a quick research by googling EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION:
- try to add an Exception for Data Execution Prevention for Cyberpunk2077.exe in the windows settings. Maybe this also has to be done for folders that contain save-files or other folders that are linked to the game.
- Could be caused when removing USB devices like headsets, or by an unstable USB connection caused by old version of AGESA. In case of the latter, updating or flashing the BIOS might help. Make sure the update is from April 2021 or newer.
Thanks for your reply. I've checked my BIOS and I am certain that it has the latest update (am using a Gigabyte Aorus Master B550).

Will try to add CP2077 to the exception list and see if it works, however I don't have much expectation now.

Update:
Tried adding the exe in bin to DEP exception, however it says "You can not set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables."

I just wanted to say that patch 1.23 - so far - seems to have fixed the infamous Flatline / Crash on Launch issues I had.

I did not change anything since the latest patches. For me, the issue started when I wanted to play the game again back when patch 1.2 came out. Initially, back in December 2020 with version 1.03, up to version 1.05, I did not have the problem at all to start with. The game at the time would launch properly without any problems.

However, after patch 1.05 came out I stopped playing. All the way until patch 1.2. At that point, the game would crash on launch.

The last version, namely 1.22, was still crashing on launch for me. However, with patch 1.23 it seems to have been fixed. I - myself - did NOT change anything since I tried launching it multiple times under version 1.22. I did not change anything in regards to my Anti-Virus, or my Firewall (about authorizations and so on; exclusion lists, etc; everything remained the same).

So after updating to version 1.23, and after launching, quitting, and re-launching the game 5 times in a row (to be sure it would work more than just one time by chance) I can say that - at least so far - it seems to be working. All I did, and I mean it... ALL I did, was to simply let Steam update the game to 1.23, then I launched the game; which means the Launcher itself started up first, then I clicked Play as usual... and... well, the game started, too. It never crashed, and I've tried it 5 times in a row. No crashes yet.

I'll report back if for some reason it starts crashing again at launch. But so far... so good, crossing my fingers it stays that way.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.release\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

Brand new install. GTX 1600 Super on a Ryzen 3600. No other games crash. I have done clean boots, removed antivirus, debug mode nvidia. Nothing has let the game load more than 2 seconds without crashing. Cleared directx cache.

Attachments

• report.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 158
  • stacktrace.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 81
Thanks for your reply. I've checked my BIOS and I am certain that it has the latest update (am using a Gigabyte Aorus Master B550).

Will try to add CP2077 to the exception list and see if it works, however I don't have much expectation now.

Update:
Tried adding the exe in bin to DEP exception, however it says "You can not set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables."
ok, did you try to add the folder? (before that do a virus scan of that folder)

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.release\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

Brand new install. GTX 1600 Super on a Ryzen 3600. No other games crash. I have done clean boots, removed antivirus, debug mode nvidia. Nothing has let the game load more than 2 seconds without crashing. Cleared directx cache.
i have the same problem can you help me solve it?

Crush: gpuapidx12error.cpp(40).
My System:
Win10 pro 21H1
CPU Ryzen 5 1600
RAM 16gb
SSD 240gb OS + Game, HDD 750gb
GPU KFA2 GTX 1060 3gb
Cyberpunk 2077 1.23 Steam version

I tried everything. Nothing helps. Help me! SOS!
Черт возьми, я совсем не знаю английский :)

Crush: gpuapidx12error.cpp(40).
My System:
Win10 pro 21H1
CPU Ryzen 5 1600
RAM 16gb
SSD 240gb OS + Game, HDD 750gb
GPU KFA2 GTX 1060 3gb
Cyberpunk 2077 1.23 Steam version

I tried everything. Nothing helps. Help me! SOS!
Черт возьми, я совсем не знаю английский :)
If didn't already did it, you can report it > Here
You can follow the recommended steps before, but I'm pretty sure you have already did them.
> "Contact us" - with adding as much detail as you can.
CDPR should give you an answer.

Has anyone found a fix for patch 1.23 crash on start up, it's saying it's missing files and I've verified the files over and over, nothing works !!!!

Has anyone found a fix for patch 1.23 crash on start up, it's saying it's missing files and I've verified the files over and over, nothing works !!!!

Update:

Turn your firewall off and test a game to see if the issue still occurs:

Follow the steps below to test your firewall:
  1. Do a virus scan
  2. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  3. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  4. Press the Enter Key on your keyboard
  5. Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
  6. Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall box under Private Network Settings
  7. Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall box under Public Settings Network
  8. Launch Cyberpunk 2077
  9. Play a game to see if the issue has been resolved
Turn the firewall back on:
  1. Close Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  3. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  4. Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
  5. Select the Turn on Windows Defender Firewall box under Private Network Settings
  6. Select the Turn on Windows Defender Firewall box under Public Settings Network
  7. Close the window
If the issue is resolved by disabling the firewall,
Follow the steps below to create an exception:

1. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  2. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  3. Press the Enter Key on your keyboard
  4. Select Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall
  5. Scroll down until you find Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Check all boxes named Cyberpunk 2077
  7. Click the OK button
If you do not see Cyberpunk 2077 in the Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall list, you will need to add it:
  1. Click the Allow another app… button in the Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall window
  2. Click on the Browse button
  3. Locate Cyberpunk2077.exe
    • Steam Path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\cyberpunk2077.exe
    • GOG Path: C:\program files (x86)\gog galaxy\games\cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\cyberpunk2077.exe
  4. Check all boxes named Cyberpunk 2077
  5. Click the OK button

Last edited:
Top Bottom