Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

+

Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

• Total voters
Issue: The power of Witcher 3 was partially that it was a very specific guy with a very specific set of skill and job.
The request of having all kind of different roles is understandable, and we know why.
But if game focus on one character it will be better in what it does. Something like Deus Ex, where one guy could evolve to either more stealth or firepower man.

I really don't have a strong opinion on character development, as I trust CDPR to make it good.

Will probably roll solo to start with.

BjornTheBandit;n8721130 said:
I'm noticing that we tend to agree and feel similarly about alot of things.....

Anyways, some of us deliberately make choices that wouldn't be optimal, because we like those choices more. I choose to wear shorts when it's below freezing outside, because I want to. I'm not trying to be cool, or act tough, I just like being cold. I choose to have unsweetened and steaming hot tea even in the summer, because I like it. I refuse to fix certain parts of my car, because I like that it tries to murder me every once in awhile (like an untrained attack dog, you never know when it's going to bite, or who!)

Not optimal, but it's still my choice to make, and I choose the path I like better, everyone else's opinions be damned.

Hold up... you're also resilient to the cold? o_O Because for as long as I can remember I have always been able to sort of just... ignore... the cold. I also in general prefer cooler temperatures, which is why Summer is usually my least favorit season temperature wise. XD It's not that I don't feel the cold, I do, I just sort of... ignore it. I take one deep long breath in through my mouth, and then slowly breath out through my nose as I compleatly relax and focus and what not, and as I breath out the feeling of the cold temperature just sort of goes away. XD

Anyway... it's not that I deliberatly choice to do or play something in a less optimal manner. I just choice to do or play something in the way I feel is fun, and how I like to do things, etc... then if that happends to be compleatly optimal, or not optimal at all, or something entirely different, is all just a coincidence more then anything else.

Last edited:
felixsylvaris;n8736040 said:
if game focus on one character it will be better in what it does. Something like Deus Ex, where one guy could evolve to either more stealth or firepower man.

The problem with that is, though, that it immediately betrays the core values of 2020, if roles are no more, and a person can become anything. I doubt that's what they're going for, especially since Mike himself has been talking with RED about the game.

Sydanyo;n8741620 said:
The problem with that is, though, that it immediately betrays the core values of 2020, if roles are no more, and a person can become anything. I doubt that's what they're going for, especially since Mike himself has been talking with RED about the game.

2020 tabletop rpg wasnt THAT popular to being true to it had any value. Hardly anyone cares.
It is more about spirit and cyberpunk than mechanic.
2020 was paper rpg designed to play in party i wast amount of adventures. crpg is solo experience, and there is only one specific campaign to play.
True fans suggest a bit too much features which are not that good in games, which push game more into sim territory than game.
I think that if they mix Deus Ex with Bloodlines and pimp it abit it will be enought.

Last edited:
felixsylvaris;n8746030 said:
2020 tabletop rpg wasnt THAT popular to being true to it had any value. Hardly anyone cares.

I mean, everyone has their own personal experience as to how popular certain games were within their group of friends, but having played RPGs since the early 90s, I'd have to say you're absolutely wrong here. Cyberpunk 2020 was like the epitome of cyberpunk-genre RPGs. Shadowrun was popular as well, sure...but it had magic, and quite a few people don't think that magic has a place in cyberpunk. SLA Industries was very marginally known, and it's more of a horror dystopia. Even a lot of people playing GURPS in a cyberpunk setting would have looked to Cyberpunk 2020 source material.

I for one absolutely reject your notion that Cyberpunk 2020 wasn't "that popular", and that "hardly anyone cares" wholeheartedly. For fantasy, the #1 was D&D. For cyberpunk and even most "pure" sci-fi (no fantasy), the Cyberpunk 2020 would definitely be a contender for the #1 spot.

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think it wasn't "that popular"? I'd really be interested in knowing what makes you land on that deduction.

Well... That comes down to the people playing the games; some people like to invent their own mechanics, and fiddle with the existing ones. Some like to follow the existing ones. The 2020 mechanics are, for the most part, just fine. There have been several RPGs with much, much worse mechanics throughout the decades.

True fans suggest a bit too much features which are not that good in games, which push game more into sim territory than game.

Well, I mean... Removing the roles from 2020 has absolutely nothing to do with "pushing the game into sim territory", and a lot more with dumbing it down and simplifying it unnecessarily. See the thing here is, that RED isn't making just a cyberpunk game. They're making a Cyberpunk 2020 game, and they themselves are true fans of 2020. Sure, they'll have to make some concessions, but making a Deus Ex / Bloodlines copy is not something they're going for, I'm almost certain of that.

Eidos can keep making Deus Ex. Let's let RED make a proper 2020 game.

Afraid I'll have to disagree.
There were (are) a sizable number of tabletop RPGs out there. D&D by far leads the pack in terms of popularity but ignoring the 500# gorilla and just looking at the other PnP games that were around Cyberpunk was pretty popular.

And you're very wrong. Lots of people care, and mechanically it was actually not a bad system. Sure some were better, but many were far worse.

Some of the original and main top guys in CDPR do care though... that is why they even decided on that they would want to persue Mike Pondsmith and try and get to make a game based on his pnp rpg Cyberpunk 2020 in the first place.

This here below comes from an interview with Mike Pondsmith:
"My wife told me that these guys in Poland wrote to us and said they wanted to do a Cyberpunk game," says Pondsmith. "They told me that the game was really important to them back in the Iron Curtain days – back then, they had Cyberpunk and communism. What impressed us was not just their capabilities and their well-organized toolsets, but that they knew and loved the material. I said, let's do this thing."

So yeah... sure... you might be right that "2020 tabletop rpg wasnt THAT popular to being true to it had any value. Hardly anyone cares."... but, for the people who do care, it is a big deal to stay true to the CP2020 pnp rpg... and some of those "Hardly anyone", who do happen to care, are the people at CDPR who decided that they would want to make a game based on Cyberpunk 2020.

Last edited:
There are so many ways.
That the only thing I know, is, that I can re play and make different characters for different roles.
The replay value with this game with all it's different categories will be to the roof. If I NEED to choose one. I could pick for my 1rst play, a solo mercenary/hitman.

P.s. So Long.

Last edited:
Solo most likely. Power flows through the barrel of a gun.
Nomad and techie are close behind, of course.

I wonder what kind of psychological profile can be made from this one.

My name and profile picture should be obvious about the preference.

But if it wasn't as tied as the trailer implies while still offering that route, even better. In other words, if you are not forced into a specific role and have various routes open to you that are also each unique with enough care given for each possible role or so, then even better.

i would like to play them all, but i will play first the role that least intrest me an go up from there

media
rockerboy
corporate
techie
fixer
cop
medtech
netrunner
nomad
and solo... i like action orientd games so i will probably enjoy nomad and solo the most, so i will play them last. but each class is very role play-able, so i would like to see all, evan if not compleat the games with all.

I'd love to be able to play a Corporate Vamp type - all glamour and sex appeal, as she schemes her way through the empty corporate world, trying to make a comfortable and safe life for herself.

After that, Solo, because CyberPunk.

Top Bottom