Dark Souls

+
Dark Souls

Hi there, Im contemplating buying Dark souls either for xbox or PC. Anybody got any advice or prior knowledge of the game?

pick a weapon with a moveset you like and upgrade it, upgrading is very important, especially weapons. don't be afraid to die, it's a learning experience, take things slow and be very cautious. also if an area you are in feels like it might be way too hard, its most likely you aren't supposed to be there yet, so look for another path to go down. blocking and counter attacking is one of the safest ways to play, but learning parry timings so you can riposte is a very good skill to invest in getting better at.

If you buy it for PC an xbox 360 controller is recommended (it's almost unplayable without one), also the pc version graphics are a bit bugged, resolution and shaders that is, but you can find a mod on Dark Souls nexus to tweak them as you like

DONT BUY PC version!!!! I'm pc gamer and this port is a real crap!

I dont know about XBOX version but I played the PC version and the only way to play it is with the fixes that the community has made for the game.

Like already mentioned, if you have a controller, decent rig then PC version is the right choice. Apply DSfix, increase resolution, unlock FPS and you are golden.

PC version is almost unplayable without controller. Some people say you can play with mouse and keyboard but I couldn't. Wish Demon Souls would also come to PC I enjoyed it a bit more.

I put somewhere upwards of 400 hours into this game on PC. The port is lazy but fully playable (at least with a controller) even without the fixes. The few fixes make it awesome. If you want to use keyboard and mouse, dsmfix is a must - I actually tried playing with a controller for a while, but found m+k with dsmfix more comfortable.

@Saoe - Unfortunately, Sony owns the Demon's Souls brand, that's why From made Dark Souls rather than Demon's Souls 2. From what I can tell, Dark Souls 2 is going to be a bit of a mix between Demon's and Dark when it comes to feel and gameplay.

IsengrimR

LordFuzzyButt said:
Like already mentioned, if you have a controller, decent rig then PC version is the right choice. Apply DSfix, increase resolution, unlock FPS and you are golden.

Exactly... Hell, with mouse fix for DSfix your can play it on mouse and keyboard with no issue at all - after getting used to the control scheme. Useful as I just can't use a controller - I am just unable to.

Other things you should know?
"Look to the sun's rays
Behold and offer praise
Look to the sun's rays
Comfort in the glow"
( You Died - Miracle of Sound )

Praise the sun, don't you dare go hollow ( or give up, in other words )...
and remember the Amazing Chest in a Chamber of the Princess ( + Try holding with both hands ).

No spoilers!!! A crazy chest (that is not a chest) biting my damn head off was one of the most awesome moments :)

I hope you'll persevere at least until the fortress to enjoy all those funny little traps. And if you ever get into the painting, you would never want to leave this game. I know I don't.

By the way, if you get stuck and crazy mad at some boss who simply refuses to die even on your 15th try, don't break your controller or keyboard, but simply let us know. There is always a trick to make fights manageable.

Arroway said:
yeah, the most important is to stock up more controllers, patience and steel nerves:)

Already destroyed two gamepads,new one is on the way.
But this game is so unique and different,the art style is incredible and the combat is sooo deep,well i dont find it to be a hard game like gothic 2 notr but its was my goty for 2012.

Ohh and of course the boss fight were always epic(stupid capra demon...)
Tip:dont throw your gamepad when fighting black knights(i hate them so muchhh)

Waiting for dark souls 2 :)/>/>/>/>

And OP i played the game on pc and the port has a lot of issues but i enjoyed it,but if you have xbox it would be smarter to buy that version

And it took some time for to understand the chest joke...

Praise the sun

I hate Capra. First time he dropped me right at the entrance, while I was trying to figure out what a hell was going on. I beat him on my 7th(?) try, but that time I did not kill enemies outside, just run past them. So when the fog dissipated, and I was standing barely alive but all proud after boss battle, these bastards just rushed in, ganged up on me and killed so fast I didn't even realize what was happenning. That was awesome!

Some words of warning. This game doesn't have a story, so if that's what you play games for you shouldn't play this. It does have some rich and colorful lore, but it is presented in a really retarded way. Also, if you're looking forward to a really challenging game, you're going to have to lower your expectations a lot or be disappointed. The pc version sucks ass. The camera control with a mouse is the hardest bossfight in the game.
You've probably heard a lot of positive things about this game, and most of them are probably justified. It's a really fun game for exploration, with a great soundtrack and a beautiful game world. A unique experience overall.

vivaxardas said:
I hate Capra. First time he dropped me right at the entrance, while I was trying to figure out what a hell was going on. I beat him on my 7th(?) try, but that time I did not kill enemies outside, just run past them. So when the fog dissipated, and I was standing barely alive but all proud after boss battle, these bastards just rushed in, ganged up on me and killed so fast I didn't even realize what was happenning. That was awesome!

The game is full of "what the hell just happend" moments

Especially those awful frogs,i still have nightmares...

One enemy that i never had the courage to deal with is the mighty mushroom daaad! :p/>

mpayo said:
Some words of warning. This game doesn't have a story, so if that's what you play games for you shouldn't play this. It does have some rich and colorful lore, but it is presented in a really retarded way.

Well, it is not like there is no story there. It is simply a different kind of story-telling. It is the world of the dead, so to speak, with just a few NPCs you can talk to, and even they are not really eager to engage in a conversation. A player discovers a story not through dialogues, but through observations, and item descriptions. It may become rather emotional. Cruel devs make it mandatory to kill Sif in order to progress, but I hate doing it, especially after the DLC. May be some modders can make a mod where we let Sif live? Every time I come to battle him, I want to e-mail something nasty to From Software, sic Green Peace on their arses, or something.

vivaxardas said:
Well, it is not like there is no story there. It is simply a different kind of story-telling. It is the world of the dead, so to speak, with just a few NPCs you can talk to, and even they are not really eager to engage in a conversation. A player discovers a story not through dialogues, but through observations, and item descriptions. It may become rather emotional. Cruel devs make it mandatory to kill Sif in order to progress, but I hate doing it, especially after the DLC. May be some modders can make a mod where we let Sif live? Every time I come to battle him, I want to e-mail something nasty to From Software, sic Green Peace on their arses, or something.
The item descriptions is what i meant when I said the lore is presented in a stupid way. Dialogue is great, but how come does every item in the game come with a little piece of paper giving some information about the lore? And those are the MAIN SOURCE of lore in the game. It feels like those were the story writer's notes about the items, but ended up in the final game.
Is there a story related reason why we even begin to fight Sif? I mean, yeah it's required to progress through the game, but how many players didn't just wander in there without knowing what their goal is? What is the story there? That is why I want to say that even though there is lore, there is no story. We hear about all these different characters, but what we do in the game is go around, find them, and kill them without any clear goal except to progress through the game. I might be wrong, but that's how it felt like for me while playing it.

Pc version is not unplayable once you mod it, of course i suppose it's better with a controller but i enjoyed it even with just keyboard+mouse. Anyway i wouldn't ask for advices, if i may, they spoil the fun(and the spirit) of this game, simply go with trial and error and you will love it(my personal opinion obviously).

Top Bottom