Debate: Is Creativity Killed by Forced Meta?

+
New Cards are great.
New Decks are great?

Should Devs introduce "Decks" that synergize so well that they make the meta,
or should they introduce cards that contribute to creative plays?

Is creativity killed by forced meta? The creativity is certainly in decline, but the meta is not forced. Nobody forces players to use the meta decks. It was already mentioned many times by many people in many different threads, that because devs cannot balance the game, the players are somewhat "forced" to use the meta decks and overpowered cards/combos. All this sort of excuses is a convenient way to shift the blame to someone else instead of stating clearly, that the players are also to be blamed. The lack of creativity, the lack of willingness to experiment with decks creation, the lack of contribution to promoting decks diversity - these are not the devs' sins.

I have a feeling, that devs never intend to create cards, that synergize incredibly well and cause a significant disbalance. They are just taken by surprise after they release such cards and just then they start working on "balancing".
A random thought here - maybe they should change the approach, and refrain from "balancing". Over the time we would see dozens of broken/overtuned cards, which would then lead to more variants of "broken" decks to appear, but it would mean more diversity and creativity and less possibilities for the 'meta' to be defined around very limited number of decks.

limited number of decks.

Yes, but instead of decks, we’ll see metas which are defined by OP cards (regardless of the other cards in their decks).
Like it was with Renfri, Necker (at least it had a restriction of 9p cards) and SY Jackpot taking all the good golds and whatever bronzes as fillers.

When the new cards/reworks are too strong (some bronzes are gold level !), playing other cards is a handicap that doesn't favor creativity...

And when you try things, you are instantly punished by the gap between old and new cards. That wasn't the case when I began the game (march 2020). Right now, I'm bored with the game.

Not much to debate about.

With almost every expansion people play same 2/3 decks, for weeks until they're properly balanced.

I usually quit for a month until they do something about it - this is how long it takes to change few, obviously broken numbers.

Top Bottom